“Worst business hotel... Especially given the 24 hour nature of Eastwood City”

Eastwood Richmonde Hotel
Ranked #13 of 63 Hotels in Quezon City
“Worst business hotel... Especially given the 24 hour nature of Eastwood City”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

At first glance, walking into the Eastwood Richmonde Hotel, you think nice hotel. Looks pretty, rooms are ok, and great access to both Eastwood City and the host of international businesses surrounding this city centre. If you stay for only one night I say go for it. If you have any kind of extended stay, deal with Manila traffic and don’t stay here.
The hotel doesn’t understand its bread and butter is to cater to the 24 hour call centres that surround the hotel on all sides. For me my shift was 1pm to 11 am. When checking in I specified under no circumstances was I to be disturbed before 1 pm. Yet for the first week I was here every day someone either called or rang me, usually before 930 in the morning. It took two escalations to the hotel manager to get it right. The gym hours are not designed for people working swing hours. And although food is available 24 hours (and in their defence isn’t bad) the limited menu is quite sad.
It seems the hotels favourite saying is “Im sorry ma’am we don’t do that.” I’ve gotten it so many times on so many items I’ve lost track. But two incidents from today alone…
1. When asking if I can pre order breakfast the night before so its delivered at a specific time
2. When asking if they will connect me to the spa inside of the hotel (Apparently they want to charge me for an outside call to call an inside number)
And the internet access is atrocious….
1) I think they have 1 T1 servicing all 38 floors plus hotel operations
2) They do not have a functioning ordering portal for internet services. You must have someone come to your room, sign a piece of receipt for purchase, and then and only then will they give you a hand written code which you enter into the user portal
3) Is accessible to only one device. And even if you offer to PAY for a second device you are told no. Only one device per room period. I guess they don’t realise this is 2012 and most business travellers carrier an average of 3 internet ready devices (laptop, mobile, & tablet) at all times
Really my frustrations of this hotel continue to compound themselves and are barely articulated in this little diatribe. It’s really the only option here in Eastwood City. I just found out I’ll be coming back for another 4 week stint… I’m staying in Makati and commuting in. I can’t deal with this place any more.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Kristinemichele
adioso, Public Relations Manager at Eastwood Richmonde Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
On behalf of the management of Eastwood Richmonde Hotel, I would like to extend our deepest regrets for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We appreciate your taking the time to write this review to bring to our attention the lapses in the service you received and certain hotel policies which resulted in an overall unsatisfactory experience.

While the hotel understands that there are a number of call centers inside Eastwood City, it still mainly conducts business much like other hotels in Manila and follows the usual operating schedule for its facilities such as the gym and restaurants. However, as you mentioned, with the growing number of guests billeted at our hotel that are part of the said industry and work swing shifts, it may be time for us to look into those policies and review the economy of adapting our operations to their schedules.

The requests you mentioned in your review could have easily been provided to you by the hotel, thus, we are sincerely saddened that our staff were amiss in carrying these out. From the pre-ordering of your breakfast and the strict make-up room service time, to the free transfer calls to hotel concessionaires (or massage service assistance), and additional internet access, all these could have been extended to you seamlessly. We have conducted extensive coaching sessions for the staff of the departments concerned to ensure that similar slip-ups do not happen again.

As for the poor internet service, improvements by our service provider are already underway and we expect completion of the enhancements, which include faster access and more efficient order process, very soon.

We understand your disappointment and frustration and we would very much like to make these up to you. As mentioned to you by our Front Office Manager before you checked-out, we sincerely hope you will reconsider and allow us the opportunity to serve you again and afford to you the distinctly pleasant Richmonde experience we strive all our guests to leave with after every visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
tokyo
Reviewed 16 August 2012

In summary, I was not that ecstatic about the value. Price is expensive compared with what hotel offered and the entertainment options in Eastwood. The price is even at par with Makati hotels but Makati area is better in most aspects for business or vacation.

But if you absolutely must take a vacation or host a business guest within Eastwood, then you won't go wrong with this hotel.

Pros

- Lots and lots of interesting restaurants that you won't normally find in other Metro Manila malls

- Probably the most beautiful hotel in or near Eastwood Libis

- Dedicated parking underneath the hotel

- Good breakfast buffet (the bacon is always overflowing!)

Cons

- Expensive

- No supermarkets nearby. Ironically, being surrounded by bars, restaurants, shops and offices within the Eastwood area and the only walking distance grocery store available is a 7 Eleven.

- You may get altitude sickness. Eastwood is home to the tallest buildings in Metro Manila cramped beside each other. Outside, you will get dizzy looking around and up to the surrounding skyscrapers.

- Swimming pool common areas poorly maintained (at least during the night). Smells of pee.

- Adjacent mall is small; there are really no options

- No free internet (at those prices, they should provide you free internet, even if Wi Fi!)

Room Tip: Don't choose the upper floors. The view is not that great, plus they just sealed the sliding do...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aldwin_educ
adioso, Director of Communications at Eastwood Richmonde Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Dear aldwin_educ,

We greatly appreciate your taking the time to write a review that details the aspects you liked and didn’t like about your stay.

It is unfortunate that you found “cons” as it is our aim to make the stay of all our guests more than just satisfactory—we would like it to be completely enjoyable. We regret that you feel our rates are expensive, but we assure you that these are quite reasonable considering our location and facilities. Re-evaluation of our internet access scheme with our provider is also in progress, in addition to a review of industry standards.

We likewise apologize if our pool section was not properly maintained during your stay. Please know that we have enforced a more effective process of upkeep for the said area.

Regarding your comments on the establishments surrounding the hotel, we are happy to inform you that a supermarket has already opened right in front of the hotel. Moreover, additional “bridgeways” linking the adjacent mall (Eastwood Mall) to the other mall (Citywalk Mall) will be available soon to make the nearby commercial establishments more accessible to hotel guests.

We hope that on your next visit, either for business or for leisure, your stay will be much more pleasant. The hotel management and staff shall look forward to welcoming and serving you again.

Annie Dioso
Director of Communications
Singapore
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Stayed here for four nights on a business trip. On a first glance the hotel looks quite nice and it's obvious that it's still new (I was told they opened in Nov 2011). The more surprised I was when I got to my room. I had read about the mold and mildew smell before and I was disappointed to find it true. It was so extreme, that I felt really sick in the morning and demanded another room or else I would leave the hotel.

The staff was very cooperative and friendly (obviously I wasn't the first one to complain about this) and found me another room for the second night. It had the same problem, but it was too late to move elsewhere. The next morning I complained again and was given my third room in three nights. After one night with less smell coming from the room the problem got worse the last night, but then it didn't matter anymore so I had to stand it.

It is a pity as the hotel would actually be pretty nice with nicely-sized rooms and amenities, but the smell made it absolutely impossible for me to stay there not to speak of returning.

Another thing I hate is if you have to pay for an internet connection, which doesn't work. The connections speed was extremely slow and made it barely possible to work and check my emails.

On the positive side they did have a nice breakfast buffet with a variety of choices. I was told that they have a nice rooftop pool, which I couldn't check out myself. The surrounding area is quite nice with an attached shopping mall and nightlife area with many bars and restaurants.

Room Tip: I wouldn't know how. All rooms I had were smelly.
1 Thank ThePassenger26
adioso, Public Relations Manager at Eastwood Richmonde Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Thank you so much for sharing with us through your review your experiences during your stay with us. The management and I extend our heartfelt apologies that your visit was not satisfactory because of the room transfers and slow internet connection you had to endure. We have conducted a thorough inspection of all our guest rooms and identified the few rooms with the odor problem you described. A comprehensive program to address the matter is already underway which we trust will resolve the issue.

Moreover, aside from reviewing our internet access policies, we are also working closely with our internet service provider to ensure speed and connectivity are improved significantly.

We understand how these incidents have prompted you to decide not to return to our hotel, however, we sincerely hope that you reconsider, and in the future be able to receive the delightful services we aim to provide all our guests.

Travellers are raving about these Quezon City hotels

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Had a wonderful stay in March 2012. From the beautiful lobby, restaurants and rooms, I could not fault how wonderful this hotel is. Had friends come for lunch before the rest of my party arrived and the food was wonderful and reasonably priced. Very close to outside restaurants and shopping, which the girls enjoyed. Wonderful night's rest was had each night and highly recommended hotel

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Scott B
Manila
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Located inside Eastwood City in Libis, along C5 road. Basically, Eastwood City is a small community where everything you need is just around the corner.

Stayed in Richmonde for 2 night and I enjoyed every minute of my stay. There were restaurants everywhere. Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Italian, American, Filipino, name it, they have it! They also have some restaurants that are open 24hrs. Night life was also fun! Met a lot of people who lives in Eastwood.

This hotel has an awesome location either for business or leisure.

1 Thank BMan888
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 August 2012

It is located near many restaurants. Pick a country and chances are you can find the food of that country nearby. You will not be bored with the same food if you are stuck for a while.
The room is average and the service is just average, not very consistent. They do not refill your complimentary coffee and tea everytime. The staff are generally helpful. I think it is more to do with the good natured people of the country. They have increased their prices and start to charge more since there are not many similar options around there.

1 Thank Michael Y
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Hi,

I've been staying here for a month already.

Everything would be ok if I stayed for a day or two.
But considering the time I'm spending here and the fact I'm on a business trip makes me feel sad about the hotel.

I need the fast internet every day. I have net meetings, conferences, whatever e-v-e-r-y day. I need fast internet connection. It seems Richmode is stuck in 199x when the fast internet was a luxury. Guys, why? I was out of internet connection for 2 days for this month! The rest of the time the internet speed was so slow, that I couldn't even talk thru Skype, though it doesn't require fantastic speed. Switch to another provider, provide your customers with USB modems, do whatever needed, but we live in 2012! This affects your reputation very badly.

2 Thank gaageneral
On behalf of the management of Eastwood Richmonde Hotel, I would like to express our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your extended stay with us due to problems with your internet connection. The erratic connectivity and speed of the internet has been brought to the attention of our service provider and the resolution of this very important matter is being closely monitored by the hotel. We expect marked improvement in internet services very soon.

Again, we deeply regret if this issue has marred your entire stay. We truly hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quezon City
Luxent Hotel
Luxent Hotel
#6 of 63 in Quezon City
Richmonde Hotel Ortigas

Been to Eastwood Richmonde Hotel? Share your experiences!