“Katsu-YUM!”
Review of Crazy Katsu

Crazy Katsu
Ranked #109 of 1,947 Restaurants in Quezon City
Cuisines: Japanese
Description: Cheap hole-in-the-wall restaurant which serves all things katsu (fried pork or chicken cutlet); has a student clientele, very cheap, fast and good!
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We've been planning to visit Maginhawa St. In QC for months and we finally made it. Looking for a nice place to eat and after doing a little research of where to find good food and a budget friendly diner, we found Crazy Katsu. The place is big enough for like 20 peeps, AC is okay, service was good. We tried their bestseller Chicken Katsu which i really like, gyoza, pork tonkatsu curry ( if i remember it correctly that's how it's called) and the miso soup. Happy tummy indeed! The meals range from 100-300. Not bad. :)

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Our boss treats us for a lunch out at this place. Superb servings, and there's a value for money. Affordable enough. Last thing, good foods are enjoyed by good friends and bonding.

Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

I love Japanese food, that is why I am always on the look out for a good Japanese restaurant. I got curious about Crazy Katsu a few months ago, because I always see their sign every time I pass thru teacher’s village. So I did my research, and not once did I see any negative review about them, everyone was raving how the chicken katsu is a must try and how affordable their prices are for an "authentic"Japanese restaurant.

That is why I had high expectations when me and family headed there for lunch last January 21. We were a family of 3, me, the hubby and my 3yr old son, We ordered the chicken katsu, fish and vegetable tempura, miso soup and for drinks, iced tea. Here’s my review:

Service: The service was very efficent. Service water was served as soon as we were seated. The miso soup and iced tea were served in less than 5 mins.

Food: The Miso soup is served with a helping of seaweed. Nothing special about the soup, at least it’s not the instant kind.
Fish and vegetable tempura- The batter of the tempura is not the usual tempura batter where the tempura ends up flaky and crunchy. Here, the fish and vegetables ended up looking like they were dipped in regular batter, no flakyness, just the crunch and tasting all too bland. I know that one is supposed to dip the tempura in the sauce to give them flavor but the sauce tastes like your regular kikkoman , and a little too salty for my taste. And here I am thinking, isn’t it supposed to taste a little sweet with a hint of ginger. My only consolation is that at least my son was able to eat some fish instead of another mcnugget.

Chicken Katsu- the biggest let down of all. The chicken katsu tasted like fried chicken, and not a very tasty fried chicken at that, just your regular fried chicken that someone tossed in breading, and cooked to an almost wood brown color. What sets it apart from the regular fried chicken, it was served on a bed of shredded cabbage served with a sweet and salty sauce and a heaping of chillis. The taste of the chicken with sauce, reminded me of Manang’s fried chicken.

Iced Tea- the iced Tea was different, it didn’t taste like an instant, but there is a hint of bitterness to it.

Honestly, after experiencing Crazy Katsu, I don’t understand how people were able to describe it as an "authentic" Japanese Restaurant. As for value for money, all I can say is that I think I would have enjoyed my P500 more, if i spent it at Karate Kid, just sayin.

Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

I still remember the first time Crazy Katsu opened along Maginhawa -- I am lucky enough to live just right across the street, so of course we had to try it first time we saw that sign light up.

We were so happy to finally have a Japanese resto open up along Maginhawa and Crazy Katsu is a good one at that. With a simple nice interior and a curious looking wood-piece decoration inside, it'll definitely satisfy your Japanese craving both in food and experience. Though the menu is quite limited to a less than handful of Japanese katsu, you'll get your money's worth with each one. They have either chicken, pork or beef as the main entree along with rice and veggies or egg to go with it. You can also add sidings like gyoza or order their pudding (aka leche flan) to complete it. And if you still don't know what to eat there, my personal favorite "the no fail" pork ginger is a must try.

I would have to say that Crazy Katsu is a good resto along Maginhawa for students and budget foodies alike. Of course you can't expect a huge and extravagant serving like those from other (slightly) more expensive katsu houses, but it's a good place for an affordable Japanese meal.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

maginhawa street, u.p teachers village quezon city.

environment- good
ambiance- good
a.c- good
staff- good
price of the food- pasok sa banga :) (100-200)

Japanese burger- good