“Offers the best Filipino cuisine”
Review of Wooden Spoon

Wooden Spoon
Ranked #31 of 1,909 Restaurants in Quezon City
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I once said that if I were to eat out, Filipino cuisine would be at the bottom of my list of choices primarily because I get to eat Pinoy food on a regular basis. As such, for me, to discover a really good Filipino restaurant is like finding a gem amidst a sea of debris. That is Wooden Spoon for me.

It was in February when, after our pre-nup shoot, our stylist suggested that we have dinner at Wooden Spoon in Katipunan. The name somehow rings a bell; I knew I have heard about it somewhere but I couldn't figure out where. When we got to the place, it was a bit crowded so we had to wait a while to be seated. As we were waiting, the waiters got our orders and that's when I found out that Wooden Spoon specializes in Pinoy cuisine.

Shortly after being seated, out food arrived. I recall we ordered Kare-Kare, Binagoongan, dinuguan lechon kawali and fish sinigang. Everything was good but what we really liked was the Binagoongan which offered a rich, balanced bagoong taste -- it was neither not too salty nor too creamy. Another dish that we really liked was the dinuguan lechon kawali -- rich lechon kawali with thick dinuguan sauce. The salty-sour-spicy flavor of the dinuguan sauce blended harmoniously.

And when the bill came, we were surprised because the total was much lower than what we expected.

On the whole, this is one experience that was truly unforgettable.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I visited Wooden Spoon in Powerplant. It was a pleasant visit such that I returned more than 10 times since then. I almost always order their Adobo Flakes and Stuffed Pechay, two of their bestsellers. The Adobo Flakes is good enough to be shared by 2 persons. It comes with garlic sauce which really complements the adobo flakes. The stuffed pechay has smoked fish inside and is smothered with coconut milk. Although it shouldn't work, the mixture of different tastes in the stuffed pechay in Wooden Spoon definitely works. The Adobo Flakes and Stuffed pechay are the reasons why I always have extra rice in Wooden Spoon. They are that good. And for the price of each dish, I will definitely go back again and again.

1  Thank Geocbattad
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I visited Wooden Spoon Branch at PowerPlant mall. I'm expecting of having good Filipino Food from a celebrity chef. I browsed their menu and the words describing each dish looked and sound promising. I thought hard on what to order and finally decided to have fish belly (can't remember if it's salmon belly or what) It took sometime for them to serve the meal. When I took my first bite I regret my decision to try this Filipino Restaurant. The fish belly was hard, cold, and dry. It seemed to me it was cooked and they just warmed it up. It was the most terrible meal I ever had. For this quality its pricey, I can proudly say my cooking is better. As I always say it is better to try and see for your self but I have decided never to visit this place anymore unless Im forced to.

2  Thank Fulltimeglobetrotter
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I have been to Wooden Spoon about 4-5 times since it opened on Katipunan. It has never failed to surprise me. It puts a wonderful twist on Classic Filipino dishes. My personal favorites are the dinakdakan and the kare-kare. It's a great date place.

1  Thank Valerie W
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Binagoongan given is salty but the other orders was as salty if not, way to salty than binagoongan. From Rice that we've ordered to caldereta to adobo to dinakdakan etc. Their Iced Tea for me is just your typical Iced Tea. Serving size is great....

2  Thank Raisin_Yao