“Not just pancakes”

Dining options: Reservations, Waitstaff
Cebu City, Philippines
“Not just pancakes”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I had their breaded fish in mayo dip, it was good. pancake house isnt all about pancakes but it have different varieties of good food too..

• Visited March 2014

Chicago, Illinois
“Good pancakes and good service”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Only had breakfast here--plain pancakes, which were light and delicious. WE sat upstairs and the service was goo--they had a special portable device with a button that you push when you want a waiter to come up. Very clever. The waiter was prompt, and I was content.

Visited January 2014
Rome, Italy
“Utter chaos and no eggs for breakfast!”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Disclaimer: I love Pancake House and this branch in particular as it's so close to work and home. But after undergoing a recent renovation and what appears to be a massive staff change, it's... not what it used to be.

We went there for breakfast this morning and arrived at around 8:15am. We just finished now, and it's 10:31am. Here were the problems:

1.) They were understaffed. Our table was cleared of plates while we were seated but repeated requests for them to wipe it down (there were crumbs, rice, and random wet spots were the previous diners' drinks were) were forgotten. It took until the waitress came to lay down our own drinks (a good 40 minutes in, mind you) for them to finally wipe the table.

2.) Service was tectonic-plate slow. We had to get up to get our own menus, and repeatedly call for our order to be taken. Now this renovated ground floor actually seated much fewer people than it had before as the left hand space was now occupied by a freezer and a bathroom, so either the second floor was bursting at the seams with people or they just had a crap system in place.

3.) There were no eggs. Seriously, no eggs at breakfast time? Seriously? I had ordered a breakfast meal and so had my mom, and we were informed that there were no eggs, so would we like to have tomato as a substitute or wait for them to be bought from nearby Rustans. We decided to wait since tomatoes are a far cry from a nice sunny side up egg. Then minutes later the manager appears and brusquely tells us that no, they won't be walking down the street to Rustans, instead they were buying eggs from Tandang Sora market, which is leagues away ("so the wait will be longer".) Oookay.

4.) Money over customer satisfaction. Instead of buying eggs at any of the nearby groceries along Katipunan (there are three big chain ones and numerous smaller ones, all with eggs), they sent a runner to the far away market place. The only reason I can think of is to save on the few pesos it will take to buy a tray of eggs. Sigh. I'm disappointed. And I was hungry.

5.) For our table of four, two plates were served after a good hour's wait, and the other two only arrived a half hour before we left. One side of the table was already done whereas the other side hadn't even seen their food.

6.) Food going cold on the pass. I posted a photo here of pancakes and waffles and sausages going cold on the pass. Those plates were waiting a good 15 minutes but no one took them out to whoever ordered them until a while later. It might be just me, but I prefer pancakes hot and my sausages without a layer of congealed oil on them, which I could already see forming from my vantage point.

7.) It took ages for the bill, and they were cash-only. I can't really say anymore except, why change what was perfectly lovely and home-like into this utter disaster of a restaurant? And why the terrible customer service? And why not buy a few eggs from nearbly for the customers already waiting, and then go buy the cheaper ones after the breakfast rush? Sigh.

I am disappointed, Pancake House Katipunan.

And no, I didn't get to eat my egg. I was done with my breakfast by the time it arrived with the other two plates for our table.

• Visited July 2013