“This is a nice place to stay for the price, which was about $100 per night.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Manila Galleria

Crowne Plaza Manila Galleria
Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Quezon City
California
“This is a nice place to stay for the price, which was about $100 per night.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2010

As I noted in another review, all reviews are relative --relative to the reviewer's experiences. With that said, I write this review based on my previous stays at The Hilton, The Hyatt, the Marriott, Crowe Plaza, The Manila Hotel, and other "upscale" or luxury hotels. Booking the room through the Priority Club website was a snap and the website provided plenty of helpful, descriptive information. Before departing to the Philippines, the Crowe Plaza (the "hotel") arranged for a van to pick us up at the airport. This was the first of a few snafus. When we arrived at the airport and reported where the hotel told us to report, we were not on the list to have a vehicle take us to the hotel. No problem, though. Unlike many of my experiences of "can't do" or "I don't know" attitude in the Philippines, at 2300 hours the folks in the area of transportation at the airport found us a shuttle van that did not cost too much more than what we had previously arranged. Upon arrival at the hotel, the check-in was smooth and the clerks and door-persons displayed the ever present helpfulness. The check-in area was clean and pleasant and there were chairs to sit and read the newspapers that were provided. When we arrived at the room it was quite chilly to us and had an odd smell. We turned down the air conditioning, which allowed the room to warm up, and later discovered that the odd smell was the "ghost" of some's vomiting spell. Later, we notified the front desk and they gave us a new room. As to the room, the bedding looked nice, but the bed was built to last for years! I am not certain why the beds in the hotels in Manila are quite hard --do Filipinos like hard beds or does management supply hard beds just so they do not have to replace the beds very often? Whatever the reason, the beds in both of the rooms we occupied were quite hard. The furnishings in the room were pleasant, clean and serviceable (besides the aforementioned vomit). The room had a nice view of the city, and the curtains were heavy enough to block out the light, if that is what you wanted. Outside of the room, the hallways were clean and pleasant and the staff was friendly and helpful. As to location, there is a very large mall next to the hotel. Unfortunately, it does not open until 1000 hours. This is not too much of a problem unless you do not want to eat in the hotel. If you do not want to eat in the hotel and pay "hotel prices" for your food and drinks, you should stock up on drinks and snacks before you turn in at night. Stocking up is easy. There is a large grocery store in the mall. As the aforementioned may indicate, there is not very much to do at night at the hotel, besides walking through the mall. Granted, the hotel has a movie house, but that is it (outside of shopping). If you decide visit the mall later in the evening, make certain you know the right "path" to getting back into the hotel. The entrance to the hotel from the mall closes by a certain hour. If you are a bit daring, the light rail station is not far from the hotel and you can take it to other parts of the metroplex for a fairly cheap price. If you are not daring, you can easily take a taxi. As to taxis, unless you have a person with you who has experience with taxis in the metroplex, be prepared to be ripped off by operators who do not want to run the meter in the taxi they are driving. As to walking to the light rail, we walked the few blocks to and from the station without any problems (no I am not kayumanggi na lalaki (brown male), but am a puting lalaki (white male)). As an aside, do your own research before you go to this hotel. That is, do not rely on the concierge to provide you with helpful information. In the States, the concierges is someone you can ask any number of questions related to cultural and current events, restaurants, museums, etcetera. At this hotel and another local "luxury hotel" the concierge fits the Webster's defintion of a concierge: doorkeeper, baggage handler, and janitor. It is from the concierge who you will get the "I don't know" and "can't do" attitude. As to cashing traveler's checks, the front desk will cash travel's checks without a hassle and without "clipping" you in the process --the going rate was 46-1 and the hotel's exchange rate was 45-1, which was not too bad. In the end, the only negatives to this hotel is the distance to many of the cultural "landmarks" such as some of the national museums and parks and the Bay Walk. Unless you can get on the roof, you probably will not be able to watch the sun set over Manila Bay from this hotel and that is a shame. The bright side is that beggers will not approach you very much, you will not smell the often present smell of urine, and the streets and sidewalks are generally clean and free of garbage and homeless people, which cannot be said of the area around the Embassy of the United States of America (Ermita and Old Manila). Then, if you are looking for Americana, why bother going to the Philippines! Enjoy it all, the good, the bad, and the ugly!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CaliforniaKano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Quezon City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2010

I'm calling the attention of the management of Crowne Plaza Galleria Manila. I'm sorry to be rude, but i've encountered my WORST check in last December 25, 2009 (Christmas time) in your hotel in my entire life. I stayed with different hotels all over the world, from all segment and category, from 3 to 5 stars, unfortunately this would be the most irritating front desk personnel i met. Here's my story: Check in time is 2:00 PM, we thought that we would be late because we arrived at 3 PM. Upon check in your personnel told me, "i'm sorry sir, we're fully booked at this time", and the fact that we already paid for the accomodation, months, i repeat months ahead. My goodness, i told her about it and she said "ok sir, go back here around 5 PM" in which we did for the sake not to ruin our Christmas. Afterall we checked in before 6 PM. The staff by the way told me that we are not entitled for the late check out, and only until 3 PM the next day we were given by your staff. Furthermore, we were not offered a welcome drink nor any good treatment just to subside our hot temper. We were given though, only when i ask for it. PIECE OF ADVICE: Being in a service industry, we must: 1) create value to our client by giving them more than their expectation 2) we must create good relationship with them by showing the right emotion and right accomodation thereof 3) that we should train specially our front desk to be more effecient, professional, and not getting confused specially when your hotel is at peak. 4) since, you make and made all the hassle, try to offer something in order to subside the hot temper of your client specially in this situation that people are very much irritated 5) train your staff to forecast and to analyze the availability of your rooms, hence to prevent the miscalculation. Ironically we are on the same boat, i am a travel agent by profession and as one of your valued partner in this industry, i am having doubts endorsing your hotel to my client. You're one of the in demand hotels especially to the "balikbayans". As for the rooms and other ammenities, nothing really bad. Also, some of my family members got some minor problems like door lock etc.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ilovesurewin
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2009

On arrival we were promptly checked in. My room was equppied with 2 double beds, television, fridge and bathroom amenities. The shower pressure was very weak. The room was very spacious! I had 5 small bottles of water in the room along with 2 apples :)

Definately clean, comfortable. The hotel is connected to a shopping mall therefore you don't have to step outside if you can't handle the chaos outside!

It is only 15-20 mins to Greenbelt a lovely high end shopping arcade with an array of restaurants with alfresco dining! The restaurants there are all very tasty and very nice indeed!

This hotel is about 30-45 minutes away from the airport again depending on the traffic conditions

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank gaynorchin
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2009

I was looking for a place to stay in the heart of Manila for my December trip in the Philippines. I went to this site and looked for the best hotel in Manila, and boy TripAdvisor lead me to this wonderful hotel. The staff are very nice, the rooms are top-notch, and the buffet is just fantastic! I stayed in this hotel for a couple of night and I didn't regret a thing! I loved my stay here so much, I'm thinking of staying there again. I highly recommend this hotel for everybody. I guarantee you, you won't regret your stay here in this hotel. A+++

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
chicago, illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2009

My husband and I were very happy with the Crowne Plaza. The room was spacious and clean. The indoor connection to the Robinson Galleria was very convenient. You could find everything in one place without ever leaving the complex.

We were also very happy with the breakfast buffet. There were numerous choices if one wanted an eastern or western meal. The quality of the food was quite high.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2hampsters
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2009

I like this hotel much more than its sister branch the Intercontinental in Manila. The rooms are bigger, the service is less stiff and more personable, an it connects to a mall with lots of restaurants, shops and a cinema chain. It is quite far though, so if you have to do business in Makati it's not much of an option Still, if I can I'd prefer to stay here. One of the best choices in Manila for sure.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Werckmeister
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

This hotel is much newer compared to its adjacent sister hotel, Holiday Inn which is just next door. Both the hotels shared the same facilities. In fact, if you want to use the gym you need to pass through the swimming pool (small) and then go through the Holiday Inn entrance. This is rather inconvenient. And the gym is rather exhausted and in a terrible situation. The machines are tired, there is no bathroom or locker and you dont even get a work out towel!!

That apart, the room is of a confortable size. The bathroom is huge and the amenities are sufficient. It fits the bill of somewhere a 4.5 star hotel, but if you take into account the quality of facilities it provides (swimming pool & gym) , then it may just be a 4 star hotel. The breakfast at the hotel is good with plenty of choices.

Location wise, it sits on top, or rather at the same builing of a shopping complex, which make is very convenient. There are also plenty of shopping complexes nearby and a 10 minute walk will bring you to the train station.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
#1 of 63 in Quezon City
The Cocoon Boutique Hotel
The Cocoon Boutique Hotel
#2 of 63 in Quezon City

Been to Crowne Plaza Manila Galleria? Share your experiences!