“dont ever think about staying to this hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great Eastern Hotel

Great Eastern Hotel
Ranked #51 of 63 Hotels in Quezon City
Quezon City, Philippines
“dont ever think about staying to this hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

this is my first time to stay @ Great Eastern Hotel and I swear that I never step my foot in here. Soooo disappointed! When I entered the room, no towel and you can feel the dust all over the place. The blanket and pillows looks like they were not washed. I wake up the following day with insect bites! not sure if these are bed bugs or whatever! The price is cheap but you can get a better look for a hotel with the same price rather than taking the risk.. I stayed here to avoid the noise and pollution of new year's eve but I should have stayed at home instead.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Via L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Lexington, South Carolina, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Great Eastern Hotel in Manilla in November. The lobby is grand and reminisent of the grand hotels in America in the 1940's. The first 2 floors are the restuarant lobby and conference rooms. We stayed on the 4th floor and it was horrid. There was mold on the ceilings and carpet in the hall. The pictures of the rooms on the internet are very misleading. Our room was an dark as a dungeon (which was good because I was afraid of whiat I might see). The sheet and pillowcases were torn. I asked for new ones the next day and we received again, torn sheets. The restuarant downstairs served a breakfast which was good. That's the best I can say for the hotel. My advice is be aware of this hotel. I told the service desk at check out about the mold everywhere and they seemed unconcerned.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. The price was good for a reason.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Janet M

Travellers are raving about these Quezon City hotels

Quezon City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

I used to love staying at Great Eastern Hotel. I have stayed there about twice in the early 2000s and I liked it. it was very affordable and the rooms were comfy. Not anymore.

The last time I went there was a few weeks ago. I wanted to have a little escape and I favored this hotel as it was within the city, very near the places I liked eating at, and was within my budget.

When I checked in, I was given my key card and went up to my room for a much needed rest. Upon reaching my floor, I proceeded to my room only to be told that my room was not available. They couldn't tell me this earlier? Anyway, I got my new key and went to my new room. The room was spacious but it was very dimly lit. When I lay down on my bed, it was hard and lumpy. Apparently, while I was at the new wing, the beds were old. Housekeeping tried to remedy the bed situation but there was no improvement. When I woke the following day, my body was aching all over. I went to the bathroom and the tub was grimy and cracked. Oh, and the room smelled musty and the blankets smelled like they haven't been washed for sometime. All in all, my good memories were shot down. I will never go back here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank biyay2
Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

RE: Hotel staff: Made reservation by phone. Called FOUR times. First call, they didnt get right: the number of nights we'll be staying, the dates, my name and what kind of room I wanted. Second call: told them i will be late checking in, they cant find my reservation. reason: see first call. Finally checked in, they told us that we had no reservation, and that i must have made reservations at their other hotel in Makati, implying that i'm stupid enough to do that. After about thirty minutes, they finally found my booking (see first call). I havent mentioned that THEY DO NOT HAVE a centralized, computerized, reservations system. The front desk is rude and unaccommodating. no wonder the hotel seemed empty. but that's not all.

RE: Facilities: Lobby and common areas. While waiting forever to be checked in and given our room, we saw a RAT as big as a CAT, lounging about that waiting area with us. This place needs to be shut down by the health department and should not even be properly called a hotel. Everything is old, unupdated and filthy. The carpeting smells, probably because it looked like it hasnt been touched by a vacuum cleaner or proper carpet cleaning soap in years.

RE: Facilities: Room: Small, the carpeting looks even worse than in the common areas, and unprofessionally patched up in some places. It smelled musty, the airconditioning is filth, and the comforter looked and smelled like it hasnt been washed in a wihle. the bed felt itchy. to top it all off, there was a feather (from a feather duster? a dead bird caught in the airconditioning? either way it's disgusting) on the bed. only redeeming factor is that the bathroom had a bathtub, and looked like it was renovated recently. that fact alone would not save this sorry hotel from itself though. They even have the gall to charge 15 pesos for 3 minutes of LOCAL calls (5 pesos additional minute)! the restrooms in the receiving area werefilthy, and with rotting toilet seats. i should have uploaded a picture. just take my word for it instead of seeing it for yourself.

conclusion: You're better off with one of the better motel chains (SOGO?). they're more frequented, and there's a good chance it's cleaner. it's cheaper too. yes. great eastern hotel is THAT bad. there arent a lot of good hotels in quezon city. i specifically made an account on tripadvisor just so i can tell people about how bad our experience was.

Room Tip: 1500 pesos for the cheapest room is still too expensive because the stay is simply not worth it.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Quezon City, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

We stayed there for a debut. The place was ok but the aircon is not working properly.
We never had any bad experience but there was nothing remarkable in that place. The pool looks bad though.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank goddessofdawn
Alabang
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

If you have an option please do not check in this hotel nor avail their packages(in our case Debut package). My sister in law, debutante was checked in a room (805) wherein the carpet of the floor was just sewed (looked like a quilt), no cable tv, CR was terrible, the flush wasn't working and worst of it all when it rained (good thing though) the ceiling leaked thus forcing us to evacuate the room. But it took us around 30min to 1 hr and a series of calls to the front desk to attend to our needs. The elevator going to the parking smells like garbage and its very hot, no exhaust system...All in all worst experience, nightmare!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank DokGrey
Eastern Shore of Virginia, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

Stayed here for two nights and it was tempting to check-out early. It is not a bargain at $75/night and there are very few positives to share.

The first room we were given was atop Quezon Avenue and it felt like the cars were speeding thru the room. Quite loud. We switched to a more expensive room on the West Wing (newer?). It was marginally better, but required negotiating two elevator rides and neither were air-conditioned. Expect to work up a lather anytime you leave or return from the room.

Pool closed daily at 5pm, so I never used it. It was tiny and semi-landlocked in the center of the high rise structure. Had a creepy look.

I have to comment of the beds. Manila, generally, does not supply hotels with Western style bedding. This is expected, but the beds at this facility were worse than the usual. It was like sleeping on concrete.

The hotel is right on Quezon Avenue, so you can get around quickly to shopping, MRT, nightlife and restaurants. It's location may be it's best asset.

Think long and hard about staying here. Other options exist, although Quezon City still has only a few newer quality hotels. The older variety, of which Great Eastern is a part, have all seen better days as far as infrastructure and delivery.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family