“Wine lover's hideaway”

Calaboose Cellars
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Andrews
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: In the shadows of the Great Smoky Mountains, there's an old stone building with bars on the windows that overlooks our small vineyard. Legend has it that the local lawman locked up the hooligans here to cool down until they went before the magistrate.Now we use the Calaboose to incarcerate our wine and beer before it makes its escape to you! Come and relax on our Rockyard Patio and enjoy the beauty of the prettiest valley in the state!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Smallest winery in the US. The building used to be the town jail. Quaint and fun to visit. Has a good porch to sit back with a nice glass of wine. Also have craft beers. Liked some of both red and white wine offerings, some vintgage, some blended. Beer was fabulous, especially the American Cream Ale. A great stop when visiting the Blue Ridge.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Great selection of wines and beers enjoyed in a serene and picturesque setting. It was the last day of our honeymoon when we visited and turned out to be the perfect close to a perfect week. Visit Calaboose Cellars if you are anywhere in the area. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank steverinsc
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I've been wanting to get out to this winery for quite a while. When an article in the local newspaper announced that Calaboose is now brewing beer, we decided it was time to go. We had been to another local winery a few years back, but I really didn't care for their wine -- too sweet and heavy for my preference. I was concerned that the Calaboose wines would be the same. I was so wrong! After the tasting, we brought home the Catawba, as well as the strawberry rhubarb wine (purchased several bottles to take to relatives we visited a couple weeks later). The strawberry rhubarb is seasonal, very light and perfect to drink while sitting on a deck! We then sampled the 3 beers and decided to purchase one brewed with cardemom and citrus. Nice, light, summery taste. We have a growler from another brewery (an hour's drive from Calaboose), and the owner filled it. The owners are in the forefront of getting this region recognized as a vivicultural area.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Stopped in for a tasting after a float down the Nantahala. The grounds and building are beautifully kept, and the wines were excellent. The 2012 Chambourcin was the perfect refreshment for a warm summer afternoon, and the owners were very gracious in sharing about their history, their wines, and the new craft brewery. Will probably visit again tomorrow, before we leave the area. Lovely patio and a nice retreat from all the outdoor activities.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

I am very fortunate to live right down the street from the Calaboose! Every Saturday afternoon I visit the winery to say hello to Eric and Judy AND enjoy their fabulous wines....Chambourcin being my favorite. There's a lovely deck and now a beautiful rock patio with tables, chairs and umbrellas for a comfortable visit with friends. Eric now brews ales which are enjoyed immensely by guests, also. They're open on Friday nights now until 8pm and I highly recommend you bring friends and enjoy the beautiful scenery, lovely hospitality and great wines and ales! Believe me, you will enjoy yourselves and you will come back!