Real Hotel
US$56
US$52
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Ankara Plaza Hotel(Ankara)(Great Value!)
US$40
US$72
HolidayInn.com
US$68
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 May 2009

My wife and I just returned from a two week bus tour in Turkey tour with Senior Tours Canada and we enjoyed it immensely.

But I had a terrible experience at the REAL Hotel in Ankara. After dinner on April 25, 2009, a young waiter at this Hotel robbed me of 200 Turkish Lira. But it is not the amount involved—it is the principle. The bill for 3 glasses of wine at dinner was 21 Lira. I had the correct change but had been carrying around mostly 200 Lira notes. I asked him if he could change such a note and he signified that he could. So I gave him 201 Liras and waited for my change. I waited in vain. After a few minutes I began to get worried and when I found him and asked for my change he left the dining room and then returned. He held up a 20 Lira and a single Lira coin. I realized instantly what he was doing, namely, claiming that I had given him only 21 Lira and not 201.

I had never been robbed by a waiter (or anyone else) in my life so you can imagine my fury.
The people at the front desk were not very interested in or excited about my situation. They did not question him closely and they pretended to believe him and not me. I think they knew perfectly well what had really happened and my wife and I suspect that they were “on the take” and that this sort of thing has happened before at their hotel.

I would have called for the police but our group was scheduled to leave early the next morning and I did not want to inconvenience my group. The tour manager and the tour guide tried to convince the people at the front desk that I am an honest man but all I received by way of “compensation” was the 21 Lira the thief claimed I had given him.

There was even a WITNESS who sat beside me at the dinner and she told us that she clearly saw me give that 200 Lira note to the waiter and heard me say that I was waiting for my change. She was one of our group.
But when our tour guide told the front desk that I even had a witness, they expressed no concern whatsoever and refused to admit that it was the waiter who was the liar –- not me. I would have liked to see that waiter fired on the spot. When the tour guide told them I intended to use the resources on the internet to complain about the situation, they simply dismissed that notion.

Already I have been assured by the President of Senior tours that they will not be sending any more groups to this hotel.

We cannot let people get away with brazenly lying and robbing tourists.
I am a retired professor of Philosophy and am not a liar or a thief.
Dr. Jack Ornstein.