“Mostly excellent but some flaws”

Sheraton Hotel & Convention Center Ankara
Ranked #9 of 179 Hotels in Ankara
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip.

The positives are very self evident.The hotel is immaculately clean and has a real ambience of its own. Staff are welcoming and attentive but in a respectful way. My room had a stunning view of Ankara and this is the only 5* I've ever stayed in where you have the option of both a hotel transfer and a normal taxi that you can sign to your room and don't need cash for. (they pay you out for this service and add it to your bill). The spa facilities are of a incredibly high standard and the hotel food is extremely good. Interestingly I did find in my experience that the lobby bar is overpriced for drinks but this is balanced by the fact that the food is very reasonably priced. WiFi is chargeable at 20TL for 24 hours however I must say that it is a very fast and very strong service. Overall the hotel was at the higher end of the Sheraton standard

My two criticisms are a minor one and a major one. The minor one is the standard of the televisions. They are very outdated however my understanding from an earlier review is that this is being remedied. My major criticism is the closure of the lobby bar at 1am. I personally feel that this is ridiculous in one of the premiere 5* hotels in the capital city of one of the most vibrant economies in the world today. Boutique hotels can tell you "sorry we're closing now" and switch off the lights. This place can not! Although I would like to stay here again I must confess this is off-putting. Particularly since there was a large group of us who effectively had our evenings abruptly halted for two nights in a row.

Room Tip: You're on a hill. Enjoy view, the higher the better!
1  Thank daymannightman

Reviewed 9 October 2012

Great hotel, difficult to fault. This is what all Sheraton's should be like. Others should look and learn.

If I had to make a couple of suggestions, they would be:

- With so many people replying on their iPhones as alarm clocks these days, install iPod / iPhone docks by the bed, or at least put an accessible AC outlet there so they can be charged overnight
- If your interactive TV menu says you have Sky News, make sure that you really do have it

That aside, I'll definitely be back next time I'm in town

Reviewed 6 October 2012

Spent eight nights in a club floor room at the Sheraton Ankara on business. Things went south upon my weekendd evening night arrival around 10 p.m. First, I learned that the executive lounge closes at 9:00 p.m. Not stops serving; they lock up. Strike one for service. Second, after getting into my room, I hopped into the shower to clean off the travel grime. Greeting me was a long black hair in the bathtub. My hair is white. Ughh! Strike two for service. Now let me say that after my arrival, my room was spotless, but I tipped the maid 5TL each day, so I expected nothing less. The next morning I had breakfast in the executive lounge, but they only had a continental breakfast. I asked for an omlette and they replied that they didn't serve them in the lounge. What they didn't tell me is that I could have gone downstairs to the main restaurant for a full buffet breakfast. Strike three for service. I did learn about this option the next day when colleagues arrived.
A couple days later, I learned that I had been booked at a much higher rate than my company's rate. After some discussion, the hotel lowered my rate to our company rate, but left the higher charge for the first three nights. Strike four. Near the end of our trip, we were having a meeting in the executive lounge over drinks. Nine p.m. arrived. Even though we had just gotten a beer, the staff began to take everything from our table and, ten minutes later, turned out the lights to run us out (9:10 p.m.). I don't think I've ever encountered such behavior at any other hotel. Strike five.
OK, other than service, the club floor room was very nice, with a wonderful view of downtown Ankara because the hotel is on a hill. The bathtub is a bit too high and difficult to exit after a shower so be careful. The TV is a joke; a 20-inch tube TV with no connections for your PC. There are precious few channels in English. But this Turkey so I only mention this in passing. The buffet breakfast was outstanding and the restaurant staff were most attentive. The front desk staff were most pleasant and worked with me as much as they could. The gym was huge and had everything I needed, except air conditioning. There is a pool but I did not swim. All in all, it was a typical experience in an international business hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a club room.
1  Thank Rebel-Yell-Delray
jacques_chevasson, General Manager at Sheraton Hotel & Convention Center Ankara, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Dear Alias Rebell-Yell from Chicago,
Thank you very much for taking time to let us know about your eight nights stay anf for all the details . We do apoligize for some inconveneinces occured during your stay such as for perhaps not have been properly informed about the Club Lounge hours and service provided.
We have seen however lot of positive points in your comments that along your stay were discovered about the different services such as the quality breakfast food and helpful service or nice gym.Answering point by point to your nice way and constructive way of describing them by Strikes was enjoyable to read and we shall do our best to correct some of this points while I do apoligize if everything did not went fully right.
Chicago is the wind City in the States as we did notice that you do come from there and as such winds will in a near future flight our old TV sets away to bring us nice 42" ones that soon we hope in a next stay you be able to enjot.
Thanking you again for the time spent to let us know about your stay and your constructive comments .

Reviewed 4 October 2012

There are just two criticisms I have of this hotel: rooms could have more storage space for clothes and they charge for wifi.
Otherwise, it's a lovely hotel in a good location in Ankara. The rooms are spotless, spacious and quiet. The best part was the health spa which has an impressive array of gym equipment and a decent-sized pool. They're obviously very used to business travellers and even have 'jet lag buster' workouts posted in the gym where they sell healthy snacks and drinks.
The breakfast buffet is excellent, the staff are friendly in reception, the health spa, the restaurant and concierge.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Dear Alias Miss Canthinkofaname,
Thank you very much for taking time to let us know about your stay.
We notice that in general you have been very satisfied and mainly with the health club facilities. Yes we do admit proudly that we have certainly one of the best hotel Gyms in the world with great day light and quality high level members such as a very nice covered pool for swimmers mainly enjoyable in winter with the snow on the roof. Our omms are not large having only 30 sq mts and due to the round shape it was not always easy to build larger facilities for clothes.The Wifi charge is only for rooms as it is free in public spaces. Should you be Frequent Starwood traveller at Platinium or Gold level you will get it for free among other facilities .We do therefore encourage you while visiting us or other countries to stay at one of the nine brands of Starwodd hotels world wide that will permit you to get quickly that level if you are a frequent traveller .
In the mean tiome again thank you for staying with us and delighted to hear that you have enjoyed our facilities,the breakfast and the location of the hotel.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

Hotel location is great GOP is the name of the region is a very nice neighborhood in Ankara. The club lounge did not match my expectations. Rooms are nice. Hilton next door and Sheraton are both definetly recommended for any Ankara trip.

Room Tip: No special recommendation here .
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Dear Mrs CDemirer,
Thank you very much for your nice comments and for taking time to let us know about your stay.
We do see that location was extremely relevant to you and we are pleased to learn about it.
Yes, this part of Cankaya area has gain in recent years a lot of activity with lot of quality Cafes & restaurants entertainement which do make this area upscale but as well enjoyable to move around for shopping with great luxury shops like Beymen and Vakko or Mont Blanc.
We take your comment on the Club Lounge positively and we shall see if in future we can enlarged eventually and provide a larger and better facilty.
Thank you again for your appreciation and looking forward to welcome you hopefully again soon.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

The hotel surpassed all my expectations. The staff was friendly and the room was well appointed. The bed was comfortable and there were lots of pillows.

The location of the hotel is also ideal. Its amongst the various embassies and as a result many of the local restaurants have English menus.

Would stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Dear Alias Mis Missisauga,Ontario,
WOW,thank you very much for your perfect score awarded to us reference to your stay.
It is always nice in the service industry to get such type of appreciation knowing how difficult it is those days to deliver guest satisfaction in a global custumer world made of guest expectations of different origins and with many peculir needs at time.
We shall keep humble and continue to improve as we do know that we have several defficiencies that will soon be corrected and that you have ben elegant not to mention such as our old TV sets that should be soon changed.
Thank you again and as you do say in Englis "You have made with such a comment our day" but we will nmot sleep over it to improve ourselves.
In the name of our associates and myself .Thank you
Be welcome again any time.

Reviewed 2 October 2012 via mobile

This is likely the top hotel in town. Ankara is dull, but the hotel is great. Sauna and steam room amazing. Pool is fantastic. Breakfast of champs. Everything works like a clock. In a place like this , you feel pampered.
The only thing I have asked staff, to be next to my boss, was denied. It was a let down, in terms of logistics for us. In America, staff goes the extra mile.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Alias Ocean City,Maryland,
Thank you very much for your nice appreciation regarding the hotel services and associates except for the comparaison between Turkey and perhaps US in terms of up grade accomodation or room allocation.
While we try to please our guests and make efforts we cannot up grade for free or at times due to the hotel high occupancy find the right room assignemnt if not requested in advance.
We do regret not having be able to satisfy your expectation on that point .
Thank you again for your nice comments in general and we do apoligize if we were not able to help you on you request.
Sincerelly yours