“You can not beat the location”

Antique Theatre Hotel
Ranked #22 of 97 Hotels in Bodrum City
Atlanta, Georgia
“You can not beat the location”
Reviewed 15 October 2010

O.K. I have to put a lot of thought into this review. If one notices I tend to stay at rather upscale hotels. However my partner and I knew friends lived in Bodrum and they recommended this. I was a bit hesitant-certainly it is not the Four Seasons/Claridge's etc.but we decided to go for it as we wanted to be in town and walk not drive. Good idea-A lot of the fancy resorts seemed to be out of city center and we were up on a hill with the most spectacular view of Bodrum right outside our door.
The room was small but actuall I slept really well on the bed which was a bit hard but good for my back. Shower=tiny though. So it kinda' reminded me of me 25 years ago when I backpacked through Europe but this was a step above. Breakfast good, I actually was ok w/the restaurant-good for first night but get out and into town.
So if you don't mind few amenities but want a great location w/a 5 minute walk to the harbor go for it. Manager very nice. Only had an issue w/one staff member who, well, was just kind of rude but maybe it was lack iof understanding English-although I tried a few Turkish words ( you know who you are )-sort of gruff.
Also even though the rooms are tiny, bring a book ( no tv ) and they were really quite comfortable so I did thouroughly enjoy it

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Turkish first
Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2010

We booked this hotel over the internet and it was an easy process with very good communications via email.

Had arranged for a pick up from the Airport and the driver was there, very friendly, nice car and a smooth drive back to the hotel.

The hotel has an amazing view overlooking the castle and the sea, a really nice pool (infinity pool) with the same view.

The room had a really nice bulcony with the same view and with Bougainvillea plants for shade.

The rooms are small! The bathroom is extremley compact, 1.5m by 1.5m! The room had a really good bed, good aircon and was soundproof (as there is a main road near by).

Breakfast is a good breakfast and lots of fresh coffee!

On the days we were there, the poolside resturant had been fully laided out for dinner, but there was no one there for dinner! The staff seemed bored stiff! Shame as it's such a nice setting and the menu looked good. We wanted to eat there, but as there was no one else around, we opted to eat in town every evening.

To get to town, you can catch a Dolmus, very frequent, every 3 to 5 mintues or simply walk down and it's only a 10/15mins walk (and it's downhill).

Although all the elements were there, the hotel seemed to lack soul and vibrance. With it, it would be an amazing place to stay, until then its a good place to stay, a bit over priced for the size of the rooms and can't justify the price because of the lack of atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FlyingBiggels
SA
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I loved this hotel. It is picturebook pretty and the service was everything you could want.
The owner charming, the staff unobtrusive but able to anticipate anything one might need.
Gorgeous swimming pool. Dinner by the pool overlooking Bodrum Harbour delightful.
Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 22 February 2010

It's a lovely boutique hotel, great view, nice pool, 10 minute walk from harbour, includes a normal turkish breakfast.

Staff could me more friendly and willing to help (in particular at the reception).

Wirless internet access does not work properly although it is not free.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Philadelphia
Reviewed 20 July 2008

We stayed at the Antique Theater Hotel for two nights in July 08 and I would not recommend a friend to stay here. To start with the good, the view is nice and the pool area is lovely and peaceful. The general staff (not including the manager who I will discuss below) is very helpful and try their best to help you, although their English is limited (which is fine). The breakfast room is also cute and quaint. The rooms are just ok - not bad, but clean and decent. Bathroom is teeny tiny, but as long as you know that going in, it should be ok.

The terrible drawback of this property is the rude manager, who is the sole reason I would not recommend this property at all unless you plan to have no interaction whatsoever with anyone (he is the go-to guy for everything for the staff). From the moment we arrived, he was unwelcoming and antagonistic. He treated us as though he was doing us a favor to work there! Anything he said to us was in an exasperated tone and he refused to look at us when he was mumbling at us. Let me give a few examples of the way we were treated.

One afternoon, we tried to enjoy a bottle of wine and some appetizers by the pool. We were told by the staff that they did not have any food available at that time (it was early evening, in between lunch and dinner). That's understandable. I understand that the kitchen was busy preparing for dinner, but given that no one seemed to ever be at the hotel (we never saw any other people there, including no guests at the restaurant for dinner both nights we were there), I asked nicely if we might be able to purchase some leftover bread and butter that they might have from the breakfast that day. That's it - bread and butter (forget asking for real food here!!). Not only could the staff not do anything without phoning the manager, but also the manager refused to come down to the pool to discuss my question with me, instead telling the staff that if I had a question I had to go to him. When I explained that we were hungry and spending USD $50 on a bottle of wine and just wanted some leftover bread (which we would pay for), he at first refused me and then finally relented. When I suggested that it might be nice to be able to purchase some food (any food!) at the hotel when spending money on liquor, he had the audacity to tell me that I was only around for a few nights while the hotel had been around for 15 years and was fine. (Well I wouldn't consider it fine based on the fact that no guests were there). Not my idea of a vacation!

Even worse, the day we were leaving, the manager was in rare form. My husband asked if he wouldn't mind calling us a taxi to take us to Maca Kizi (a far superior hotel - not even in the same league!). He requested especially that the cab be large so that it could fit our bags, and that the manager call for a cab with air conditioning if possible. The manager waved off my husband's requests and instead called up his friend with a cab (it was the exact same cab driver that the manager had called us the night before). When my husband asked again about a cab with air conditioning, the manager started yelling at us and saying that cabs don't have air conditioning and if we want that, we can go do it ourselves. Fine. We found a cab on the road that had air conditioning (all the rest of them did). The final straw was that my husband handed me some money to tip the staff, and the manager (eavesdropping on our private conversation) had the audacity to say "keep that money because that little means nothing to us." I was outraged that someone who is in the service industry could speak so rudely to a customer, when he was (1) not privvy to the whole story (that wasn't to be the entire tip) and (2) not part of a private conversation between my husband and myself. We left literally shaking with anger.

This was long but I wanted to give you a few examples of the way the manager can ruin your stay when asking about simple items such as food and taxi. Forget asking for help with booking excursions or restaurant recommendations! The property itself is decent but being treated this way really leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth that isn't appropriate on vacation. I highly discourage anyone from staying here.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Manager (rest of the staff was great but main interaction is with manager), small bathroom, this is basically a budget accommodation for unwarranted price
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank MochiGirl
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2007

I loved the location of this hotel....the views over Bodrum must be the best anywhere....I also loved the prolific bougainvillea everywhere, the quaint breakfast area, and the pool area with bar which we made great use of. The only downside is the beds..they are very uncomfortable, and after the first night, we put the sun lounger mattresses on, and they were then easy to sleep on. The staff were great, although only one staff member seemed to speak English very well.....that was ok, as he was always on hand, otherwise signing seemed to work well.

Bodrum is the perfect place for a holiday, as restaurants, shops and markets will keep you busy. Our few days here was prior to our Gulet charter, and what a great location to leave from...

• Liked — views of the Bodrum harbour
  • Disliked — uncomfortable beds
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Travebug
Vermont
Reviewed 23 February 2007

Relaxing on your private bougainvillea- and oleander-strewn terrace sipping a raki while savoring spectacular views of the harbor and heavenly Aegean Sea breezes: that’s the Antique Theatre Hotel experience. Built on a hillside across from a Roman amphitheatre (great place to hear live music even today), this small gracious hotel is simply but tastefully decorated, and its “restaurant” (a few tables set up poolside for dinner) features Bodrum’s most exceptional cuisine, views, and service. We had planned to stay six nights, but completely charmed, we stayed for ten. The staff is hardworking, professional, and quietly respectful of guests’ privacy, but are warm and friendly when approached. A Turkish dictionary helps. Only two minor drawbacks: 1) the two rooms at the very top of the hotel suffer from some road noise, and 2) the staff could have a better knowledge of services in town: renting a car and booking a Blue Voyage cruise took quite a bit of independent research and wandering around town. However, strolling aimlessly in Bodrum is a great pleasure, especially the lovely walk down cobblestone lanes from the hotel to the harbor. Overall, the stay was a complete delight.

Stayed July 2006