“En Route to a Wedding”
Review of Su Hotel

Su Hotel
Ranked #27 of 100 Hotels in Bodrum City
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed at the Su Hotel for 3 nights, en route to a wedding and again afterwards. The Su is a real gem - 25 en suite rooms some of which overlook the small swimming pool and delightful garden. There is a small bar and restaurant where the service is attentive and food delicious. The location is secluded and peaceful yet is only an 8 minute stroll to the harbour. We would go back to Bodrum purely to stay at the Su Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the pool and garden.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Juliet11007

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Having read some of the negative reviews and knowing the manager (not owner) Zafer, the reviewers must have not stayed at the same place. I have stayed three times this summer. All of my experiences have been very pleasant. Zafer and Ali are very personable people and will help in any way they can. I think some of the negative reviewers may need to check their own attitudes and expectations. I have not had a negative experience yet. If you check the photos of the hotel you will find that the rooms are very simple. This is not a place to spend alot of time in your room..you should be outside enjoying the environment. The environment of the hotel is very pleasant and peaceful and is wonderfully located not far from town. I have enjoyed several afternoons hanging out in the bar area chatting with the variety of guests and they have also seemed to have a good time. Several times I requested the managers "surprise" me for meals and the food has been wonderful. Zafer and Ali are attentive to listening to their customers and welcome suggestions and ideas. They are most pleasant to learn about the local culture from. I have stayed in five star resorts where the service was horrible and everyone does have a different experience. Suggestion would be..if you have any special concerns or you are a large person in any way, communicate with the hotel you are booking directly. Understand also about tourist seasons and if the hotel is booked solid they can not give you a different room just because you didn't like the size of the room you purchased. Ask questions.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank whereisliz
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I spent a weekend in mid-August with my husband at the much-applauded “Su Hotel” in Bodrum, and was utterly and absolutely aghast at the state of affairs in the hotel. I could not agree more with the previous two posts about this hotel.

The staff in this hotel have never seem to have heard the word courtesy or “smile” and were completely poker-faced, rude and unhelpful, to the point of making me remind them about four times for my cup of Turkish tea, at the supposedly “super” outdoor breakfast. Finally, when the tea did arrive, it was no surprise to find that it was luke-warm and not hot, as tea should be. But, then how can we expect anything more from the staff, when the owner of the hotel, Zafer, is himself unsmiling and unhelpful? He seems to be some “wanna-be” artist, who has adorned the rooms of the hotel and the lounge with his "highly colourful" art-pieces! He needs to pay more attention to the needs and wants of his guests, rather than to spend time “surfing” on eBay, which is what we invariably encountered him doing in his office. It would indeed help Zafer to attend a proper art school or college first to brush up on his artistic skills, followed by a stint in a finishing school in Switzerland for a crash course in etiquette, social manners, customer service and hospitality.

To get onto the hotel itself, we were put in a room that was minuscule and small, so much so that the room would not even be able to accommodate a “small-built” couple. Also, the shower in our room was not big enough to drown a mouse. I happen to have what is called a "full buxom" figure, so trying to get myself into the shower-stall was a truly herculean task, almost like trying to squeeze an elephant into a bath-tub; IMPOSSIBLE! And with no fridge or no mini-bar in the room, we had no complimentary or bottled water, which is expected and mandatory in any hotel of any class. This led to us being completely parched and dehydrated at night.

Another cause for concern was the filters of the air-conditioner, which turned out to be completely filthy, dirty and black in colour. My husband had opened the Panasonic air-conditioner to check the cause of the awful rattling noise from the unit, and we were completely “blown away” by the air from within as well as by the state of the filters. Filthy air-conditioners can be a contributing cause of Legionnaires’ disease, and this would make the Su Hotel in complete violation of hygiene and inspection codes. It does appear that a health inspection is long overdue at the Su Hotel.

Another point of concern was the laundry room, which was an absolutely chaotic mess, towels, linen and sheets strewn everywhere. One would assume that if that be the case, the hotel would keep the room door shut, but no!! It was wide open for all to see and behold the wondrous disorder inside the room. Little wonder then, that my husband and I, like the guest in the previous post, also discovered specks of blood on our towels as well as one large blob on our bed-sheet! This again is a very serious health issue and a cause of all forms of Hepatitis. All these health issues are in violation of the Health Ordinance and need to be investigated thoroughly.

Having encountered so much that was wrong with the hotel, we were more than happy when the weekend was over and we left with nothing but bad memories imprinted on our minds – the sight of blood, the minuscule rooms and finally the loudly and garishly painted art-work of Zafer. Definitely, not a hotel to recommend even to your worst enemies!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 670Rossette
ZaferBodrum, Guest Relations Manager at Su Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2011

We have had three reviews mentioning a poor experience at the Hotel.
We believe that these reviews relate to some older rooms that are scheduled for refurbishment.

The rooms were all sold at a much reduced rate. These rooms have been taken out of service and are being refurbished.
They will be re-open in April / 2012

All air-conditioning is serviced by Panasonic. The annuel service takes place in May as recommended by Panasonic.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

Very charming hotel in Bodrum, located close to the marina but outside the noisy bar street. The hotel has nice areas around the pool. The breakfast and restaurant areas are very calm.
The only negative remark is regarding the bedroom. The room is a little bit small and has basic furniture (no tv or fridge). Apart from this, a very romantic hotel that I will recommend to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Guilhaz
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I think you have to truly work out what your requirements are before booking into a hotel. For example, if you have kids then it's best to book into one of the all inclusives rather than this cute pretty place where chilling out seems to be the norm. The Su Hotel is situated in central Bodrum; it is hidden away and not too easy to find alone if you don't know Bodrum. August is the busiest time of the year so I made allowances for that - people cannot be expected to wear a smile all the time but on the whole the staff were friendly and helpful. Once I found my way around town, it was fantastic to wander back at night with no worries about safety or a taxi. Bodrum is the ultimate party town in Turkey if you are a party animal. If you want to chill out then there's a lovely pool area, bar and restaurant. The main bus station is 10 minutes walk and from there you can visit all the beaches on the peninsula very easily. My room was tiny but that was okay as it was just myself; if you are a couple or a group then you need to book one of the larger suites/rooms available. It's a busy place with much comings and goings and yes there are noisy neighbours around and the cocks will crow! I wouldn't be surprised to see a camel quite honestly. But that is Turkey - and that's what is so great about it. Don't come and stay here if you want total quiet. This town parties all the way to end September and after that then it may get quieter! I found Zafer and Ali kind and helpful and I will happily stay at Su Hotel every time I visit Bodrum in future.

Room Tip: Communicate with the Manager - he is accessible by email - make sure you know what you want.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Diana W
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I agree with the previous poster. I truly do not understand the positive ratings on TA. We stayed in 5 hotels in total during our trip to Turkey and this was the only disappointment...but a huge one.

We had 3 rooms and stayed for 3 days. The staff are extremely rude. I'll give someone a $100 if they see one actually smile. The rooms are ridiculously small. You literally need to put your luggage on the balcony if you want to move around. The owner Zafer is arrogant and rude.

We found blood on bath towels and bedding. It was disgusting. This hotel is trying to be high-end but it falls so short, I would not even award it 2-stars. The only redeeming quality is the location close to downtown. It is loud there however. i have no idea what people are talking about when they say they can't hear the Bodrum noise. If you wear earplugs perhaps you can escape it.

This is the first time I've left a negative review for any hotel I've ever stayed at, but I felt it necessary to provide an honest perspective on this hotel because some of these reviews in my opinion are just out to lunch.

If you want a hotel that the rooms are small, rude staff, dirty pool, pathetic breakfast, and arrogant owner...then you have found your hotel. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Dewphy
ZaferBodrum, Manager at Su Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2011

We are horrified at these comments. We would never ever supply a single towel or sheet with blood stains on them. All of our linen comes from the laundry and is inspected. We believed that the guest had a small cut on their own leg.

Our guest complained about the size of one room (out of 3 booked) and when we could not change the room (because we were full) started to shout at our manager. We are never, ever rude to our guests and the concept of not smiling at them is ridiculous.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

Nice manager, nice rooms. We were within walking distance of the bus stop as well as the castle, although the walk to the castle was a little far if you don't like walking. We were on somewhat of a budget and the Su Hotel lived up to all of our expectations. We had an apartment with a small kitchen and a living room. It was perfect for our needs.

Room Tip: call ahead and speak with the manager
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends