“Average!”

Ranked #40 of 96 Hotels in Bodrum City
London, United Kingdom
“Average!”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Me and a friend stayed at this hotel for a week in June. There were a few issues straight away!

First of all the AC wasn't working and it took them a whole day to sort it out. We were promised a sea view but instead got a view of a wall which was being painted on the first day of our stay, so we had to keep our net and balcony door closed so the work men couldn't see in to our room. Our balcony wasn't actually a balcony more an open space for anybody to walk through! The room itself was cleaned everyday, they were prompt with requests for toilet tissue and towels and the bathroom was a good size.

We were then offered a room a few floors higher where we were promised the AC was fine and we had a proper balcony. Well the view was of trees and nothing else so we declined their offer.

The staff at the reception were unprofessional and at times rude! The staff by the pool and restaurant were much more hospitable. The pool itself was fine, the view was lovely but there was always a cat or a dog roaming around!

Breakfast was a variety of fruits, beverages, meat slices, yoghurts, bread which I enjoyed.

This hotel isn't perfect but it's not as bad as some people say, I guess it's all down to individual experience.

PS our holiday rep ripped us off with prices for the excursions, which we found out by talking to other tourists! Probably better off by booking these things through someone else.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with a sea view and a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Yaz437

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Braedstrup
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Stayed at Mavi for two weeks. Hated it from day one. Mostly because of the staff.
I had a major argument with the staff when they refused me to bring in a bottle of water to our room. You are not allowed to buy anything eatable or drinkable anywhere but the hotel and drinks from the minibar are extremely expensive.
Staff is incompetent, non-service minded and only a few of them speaks a little English.
The drain in our shower cabin was blocked and nasty things came from it when we showered. We asked them to fix it – and they tried without success. When we told them that water was only very slowly draining we were told that it was normal.
Only after some pressure from our travel agency they made a second attempt to fix it. Then it worked for a couple of days. When the drainage problem was back we asked them to clean it again but they didn't do anything about it. At that time there were only a few days left of out vacation so we didn't bother to do more about it.
One day we called the restaurant to order tea. Nothing happened so we called again. Still nothing happened. Third time we were told that we didn't have any credit so they could not bring us anything, but we could open a credit at the reception. WHY couldn't they have told us the first time and saved us for an hour of waiting in vain????
Finally when we checked out, we were shocked over the phone bill (which they for some strange reason trusted us with credit). They charged us 20 TL for two attempts to call a local number. Total 0 min. conversation since the phone wasn't answered.
What a contrast to last years vacation in Istanbul where everything was perfect.

2 Thank Erland L
MAVIHOTEL, Genel Müdür at Hotel Mavi Kumsal, responded to this review, 19 June 2017
Dear Guest
We regret to hear that our service standards did not meet your expectations. We value your feedback and please make sure that we will take the necessary actions accordingly. We hope to welcome you back at Hotel Mavi Kumsal.
Kind Regards
Bilge Koçhan

Travellers are raving about these Bodrum City hotels

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Just came back from the Mavi Hotel in Bodrum after being extremely worried after stupidly reading the reviews written on the hotel once booked. I feel that these are very unjustified and we experienced none of these problems when staying at the hotel. Our room was basic, however, the hotel does do deluxe rooms as well. Our room was very clean and tidy and there was a maid service every day. We found the staff at the hotel helpful and friendly, especially the staff at the lobby/pool bar. We found the pool area clean and tidy and the pool toilets have to be the cleanest pool toilets I have ever seen. I would recommend this hotel.

4 Thank Jessica F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My partner and I have just returned from Turkey after staying at the Mavi Hotel. The hotel is lovely and very clean, the only down side to this hotel is that you have to pay for everything with a credit card, which means you cant eat at the restaurant or have a drink by the pool, and your not aloud to bring drinks or food in from outside
The closest shop to this hotel is a 10 min boat trip priced at 5tl(turkish lira) per person per trip, or a 20 min walk to either bodrum town or gumbet town. If we had know this we would have proberly not stayed at this hotel or at least taken our credit cards.Otherwise this is a great hotel there is lounging by the beach which leads off the pool area. Would recommend this hotel if you like using your credit card for everything.

3 Thank lsexytel
Swinton
Reviewed 29 June 2012

A Big hotel on the side of a Cliff on several levels.
Best Bits.
Sea Taxi form Hotel Jetty to Bodrum marina. 10 lira for 2 people (about £2.80) apprx 10m mins.
Continental Breakfast plenty of food if you like it.
bedrooms very clean we had a good view over the Bay.

bad bits
Staff at reception spoke poor english apart from 1 lady. The others would just disappear if they could not help you and leave you standing there like a lemon.
Large swimming pool however there is no shallow end so not suitable for kids and non swimmers.

Evening food selection poor and not warm enough, very bland taste-less.
the hotel private beach is about the size of a badmington court. it is shingle and rocky not sandy so you cannot run into the sea you would break you ankles.
there is no evening entertainment as stated when we booked.

BODRUM
Fantastic - Massive bazzare great at night, restaurants galore, good reasonably priced food. Hundreds of boats and boats trips.
The castle great half day out only cost 20 lira. The Ampitheatre on the hill next to the main road is closed but worth the walk to see it, the measolleum again good the Mydoss gate all good.
We did cataraman trip to Coz, well worth it, but better to go by boat. Only cost 15 lira.
The Market on a tues is great got adidas trainers for inder £15.00.

Room Tip: Bodrum is a fantastic resort with great bizzarre and restaurants. There are no sandy beaches. Watch...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheHolidayer99
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I booked 3 nights in April 2012 and I could not sleep because of the smell of the rooms and the hotel. Everything was very dirty. I escaped next morning. One of the most beautiful cove in Bodrum was just wasted because of this hotel. They immediately need to close and completely demolish (I don't think renovation will save this hotel.) and a built a nice property on this blue water. It is a shame to have hotels like this in Bodrum.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Balikadam
Dear Guest,
We regret to hear that our service standards did not meet your expectations. We value your feedback and please make sure that we will take the necessary actions accordingly. We hope to welcome here in near future.
Kind Regards
Bilge Koçhan
Hungary
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I got back from this hotel some days ago. I had good and bad experiences.
The bad experience was the behaviour of the staff at the reception. They were rather arrogant, not helpful, and one day I was treated like a criminal when I had two bottles of water in my bag from the city and not from the pool bar since I had not read the warning notice on the front door. What if I cannot speak English?
When some English people arrived at the hotel to visit their friend the receptionist told them not to swim in the pool. They found it ridiculous.
But I have to remark that I asked a very quiet room for the receptionist, and she gave me a right one. The view from my room was nothing but the rock, but it was perfect to sleep at night.
The rest of the staff was very polite and helpful even we could not talk as very few of them can speak English.
The selection and the quality of the food was satisfactory for me and the waiters were really helpful and they did their best to well provide the customers. At breakfast and dinner time cats and kittens came to the dining terrace to beg food, but I did not mind them. I love cute cats so fed them.
The room with a large bathroom was spacious enough to place everything. It was clean and the cleaner woman did her best to make me satisfied. Thanks for her.
The pool and the terrace was spotlessly clean and the view to the Aegean sea and the hills is fantastic.
There is an access to the shallow sandy beach but most of the time the gate was open and we had to walk to the beach through a dirty area. Swimming in the sea is something really lovely.
The location of the hotel is excellent. The Marina can be reached in five minutes by the water taxi or you can go by bus or if you are fit enough you can walk which takes you 20 minutes to get to the centre which is wonderful. And there is an easy reach of everything from the centre.
Walking to the other direction there is Gümbet where you can have a great time on the beach or in the bar street at night.
It is worth visiting Kos Island by ferry.
All in all, Bodrum is a wonderful town with nice and friendly people, so I will definitely go back again, perhaps to this hotel. In spite of the few negative things most of the time I enjoyed my stay there and it was a pleasant and relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms on the left are quieter than on the right because of the loud music from the other hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo