“Noisy, stinking hot and sleaze bag staff”
Review of Bodrum Backpackers

Bodrum Backpackers
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Showed up without a booking and unlike a lot of the reviews on here managed to get a private room at what seemed like a very good price.

The room I had opened on to the terrace, up on the top floor, and was stinking hot with still air without even a fan. Unless you're happy to sleep with the door open with all your stuff there for the taking while you sleep, the room is pretty much unbearably warm.

There's a bar downstairs that plays loud music until 2-3am each night, even though it seemed to be completely empty most nights, so bring ear plugs.

The staff seemed to sleaze onto every female traveller that came through; one of them had this gimmick where he's learnt to say the alphabet but the order is wrong in the middle and he keeps "trying" to get it right. Please don't fall for that crap ladies; you're better than that.

The bathroom never had toilet paper the whole time I was there. There was also no way to get to the shared bathroom without also leaving your room wide open. I dunno, maybe I'm security paranoid.

Cant comment on breakfast as I didn't realise it was included and the staff were all still sleeping on the terrace past 9am each day.

Room Tip: Anywhere but here
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I recently made a reservation for a private double room and a dorm bed. We flew in from London and arrived to the hostel at around 10:30pm. We made our booking through Hostel World and paid our 10% deposit. When we arrived to the hostel, we were told that they had no record of our reservation. In addition, there were three German girls who were also told the same thing. The hostel owner told us that everywhere else was fully booked out and blamed Hostel Word for not sending through details of our reservation, which Hostel World later denied.

They helpfully organised us alternative accommodation and the owner then told us, in words to the following effect, that "they're often in a difficult situation as people will make a booking for a night, go out and have a large night, and decide to stay for another night and it is hard or them to say no". This made us think that they had overbooked the hostel knowing that there were pending reservations.

So if you decide to book with them, I would suggest that you confirm your booking with them direct.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I recently booked the Bodrum Backpackers for 3 nights ( 9 to 11th of August) with total deposit of 26.24 CAN $ divided in two separate transactions:
We had reserved this hostel with deposit but the hostel was full due to HUGE overbooking. Hotel manager proposed we sleep on roof outside with no beds where 6 other people were already sleeping without any refunds.
When we said we had already paid and complained, they offered a shared room with one of the hostel employees (we had booked a private). The room was very messy and not clean but the hostel was saying that all the hotels in Bodum were full. As the Internet wasn't working, we paid a night at the hostel (80 turkish lira). In truth, there were many other places available in Bodrum - as we could see from an internet cafe nearby and by walking in the city and asking around (pensions-b&bs).

When we came back from our walk, our beds and room had been used by other people. For that reason, we went to another city (Turtugeis) and stayed at a friends instead. We asked for a refund but the hotel only gave half the money back (40 turkish lira).

We have also not been reimbursed for our deposit (for 3 nights) and the rest of our first night.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Aliencupcake
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I had the most amazing time in bodrum backpackers. Orginally I had only intended to stay for 3 nights and ended upextended for 3 weeks. You will never want to leave.! Natasha the receptionist was so kind a great help. Owner and staff are all so friendly and willing to help with any situation (boat trips, moped hire, local food, street bargining).
The rooms and bathrooms are very spacious, clean and most comfortable beds. If you are low maintanence the best spot to sleep is on the terrace!!
Such a great vibe within the hostel. I was travelling alone and felt most welcome with a homely environment throughout the whole stay, you will gain friends from around the globe. The backpackers could not be in a greater location with only 5 minutes from all shops, beach and nightlife. Bodrum backpakers is a must see to experience the beat of bodrum. You will only regret your time in bodrum if you don't stay here!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I have travelled in a lot of hostels around the world and this is by far the worst I have seen. I really think you should NOT stay there... there is no reason for staying there at all! I stayed in a 5dorm beds for 30 Turkish Lyra. Usually in Turkey in hostels you pay 25 TL and that includes a breakfast and in your room you have AC and hot water.

However at this place: 1) Breakfast is not included 2) There is only cold water and 3) (worst of all) there is NO AC but they did not even bothered putting a fan in the room! So it is UNBEARABLY hot when you try to sleep at night... Especially right now its July so its always aroud 30 degrees in Bodrum (at night also). So it is really uncomfortable.

On top of that, the bathroom is just filthy. The smell is just disgusting! I dont know how to describe it but it just smells terrible so its really a pain to use the bathroom there.

On top of that the staff (all males) was making me a bit uncomfortable (I am a women alone). They kept entering the dorm without knocking first... its really rude to do that, you dont do that, especially when you know that the person inside is a women! One time one of the male staff just entered in the room while I was CHANGİNG and I started yelling and he didnt even apologize or went out he just stayed there... PERV!

The staff just seems to be stoned all the time and there are not really helpful if you need information about Bodrum or things to see and do..!

On top of all these things, the hostel is located directly on top of a karaoke bar and they sing allllllll night long. And its so loud, it felt as if the person was singing in my room next to me... until 3AM... not very fun!

Please go somewhere else! You might have to pay a bit more money but it will be worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Cynthia T
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

It took a little while to figure out where this place was because it wasn't well signed but once we realised it was above Lyra Cafe, it was a very convenient place to be staying.
The room was pretty spacious, the beds very basic but not bad. Could have done with a flat sheet to cover ourselves with as the bed was only covered with a sheet and had one pillow. Sheets were clean.
The staff were lovely and eager to help, and the top bar was a nice place to cool off and hang with the other backpackers and staff who are very welcoming.
Wifi was a bit average, it only worked on the roof and it took a day before my iPhone would connect.
NO HOT WATER AT ALL. Not an absolute tragedy seeing as it is incredibly hot in the summer here and there is no air conditioning but would be nice to not be frozen every time you get in the shower.
All in all a very basic backpackers, could be better but I was pretty happy with my experience.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Don't stay here. My girlfriend and I are super low maintenance backpackers, we backpack, camp, etc. We have stayed in a lot of hostels, and this was pretty low on the quality index. Our double bed we reserved consisted of two twin beds we shoved together. The owner made me wait several minutes to pay while he chatted on his phone with his friend, ignoring me standing there with a fistfull of money. During the evening, we noticed that he was running a tattoo parlous in the bar, with multiple "buddies" getting tattoos. The distant hum of the city was barely noticeable over the drone of the tattoo needle plunging into his friends skin, and the zipping of the neighbouring mopeds was barely audible over the grunts of pain that somebody was inflicting on the patrons in the tattoo parlous/hotel bar/hotel lobby. Try Merhaba hotel up the road, it's cheaper but it doesn't come with a lobby tattoo parlour.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple