“Not too bad...”

Ranked #13 of 99 Hotels in Bodrum City
London
“Not too bad...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

I spent a week at the Instankoy Hotel during July. My first impressions weren't great as there was a mix up with my room, but this was rectified the following day. The night receptionist was not great (male member of staff), but the female day receptionist was fantastic. The first 'double' room I had was so small, it resembled a cell!! You could hardly move in it. It was on the ground floor opposite the pool and bar are and was so noisy with other guests drinking and talking loudly well into the wee small hours (up to 4am most nights!) The second room I was moved to was much better, but in need of renovation and smelt of damp. Now, I should warn you, this is a small hotel. The pool and bar area are compact, so the rooms overlook this area. This hotel is NOISY. You can hear people drinking, laughing and shouting all night long. I was woken nearly every night of my stay. However, I do respect that people are on holiday and that they are entitled to have a good time. I just feel the staff should encourage guests to respect others after 12am! Anyway, on to some good points. The hotel and pool are spotlessly clean! I have stayed at some five star hotels and their pools are nowhere near as clean as the Istankoy's. The rooms are cleaned daily and the cleaners and absolutely fantastic. I even came back to my clothes all neatly folded and a lovely swan made out of towels on our bed. The breakfast which is included in the price is basic. You can choose cereal, cheese, salad, egg's, bread, toast and all the tea/coffee or juice as you desire. This is a typical Turkish breakfast, but it does become repetitive after a few days. That said, the breakfast is filling. I must also stress, drinks and food are expensive. This is not only at the hotel, but in Bodrum as a whole. Expect to pay 4 Lira for a can of Coke (£1.10p!!), 8 Lira (just over £3.00) for a pint of Effes beer and anything from 70-100 (£35.00-45.00) Lira for a meal for two. This is both at the hotel and around the resort. Bodrum is classed as Turkey's St. Tropey and as such, you pay the price to stay here. I agree with some of the other reviews of this hotel. I got the impression that if you do not spend copious amounts at the bar and in the restaurant, staff do rather give you the cold shoulder. I noticed the bar staff one night singing a song to new guests with one of lines being, "Lets get Pis*ed!" Then raising a glass with them and drinking whatever was in it. I could see right through this and it was just not genuine. The guests did laugh at this, but it was just another ploy to get people to spend money at the bar. If you like your beaches, Bodrum has a small shingle beach by the marina. There is no municipal run beach in the resort and the bars opposite claim parts of it as theirs. This does not prevent you from using it, but they do expect you to at least buy a drink from them, in order to use their sunbed/table on their respective sections of the beach. I personally found this brilliant as staff wait on you, and you are looked after. If you are looking for a better beach, then head to Bitez beach, which is 6.5 miles away. It very much more relaxed than Bodrum and is sandy. It is part of a bay and you can walk out in the sea some way before it becomes deep, so very safe for kids. Istankoy hotel gets 5 stars for location. Everything you need is a 5-10 minute walk away. The beach, the shops, the bars, the bus station. Talking of the bus station, it is worth taking a 'Dolma' bus to any of the neighbouring resorts. Its only a 3 Lira (£1) bus fare and most drivers are fluent in English. One last point - The boat trip. Do go on the hotel run boat trip! It was by far better than any other I have been on. However, do ask the staff which boat you will be on. This is because if they have not got enough guests to run the hotels boat, they will put you on a boat run by a third party company. Some were put on 'party boats' with extremely loud music, apparently. Not so good if you have kids or were expecting a leisurely cruise. Finally, best bar for me in Bodrum, The White House on the Marina. So to summarise, a great location, clean, staff in the main friendly. However, I personally wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Request any room on the second floor if you are the 'pool side'. For a better nights sleep a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pp7822

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Turkish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

Just yesterday I was a guest at "Istankoy" and I want to share with you my impressions. My review will be as objective as you can be, and I hope that people looking for a good hotel in Bodrum take it into account.

Advantages:
- Very good location, close to the sea, town center, bus station, etc.

Cons:
- The room in which I Check in was very small, had a very small balcony, a small bathroom and a leaky shower. Room look acceptable but the execution of many fatal and projecting parts on the whole a bad rating.
- Hotel is on a fairly small area, making it late into the night in each part can be heard loud music and screams of people playing, so people are willing to sleep with this very big problem. No one takes into account the dead of night and the fact that not all the guests every night playing drinking at the bar for drinks.
- The pool is nice, but very small, shallow, and you can use it only in the hours 9am-6pm, then around the tables are set up.
- Breakfast (I had purchased a bed & breakfast option) every day are identical, which means that after a few days there is no desire to eat them. However, if someone likes to eat eggs every day, two kinds of cheese, two kinds of bread, tomatoes, cucumbers, three kinds of jam, honey, cereals, olives and watermelon - sure to be happy, because everything was fresh and without limit.
- The room is just a mini-bar, not even a kettle that can make coffee in the morning, to prepare the food does not have to dream. If you have subscribed to all inclusive - everything ok, but in my case, a big obstacle was the lack of basic equipment such as cutlery, plates and glasses.
- Air conditioning and safety deposit boxes are not included in the price, and although the hotel's website to find this information, I think it's a big flaw, the more that the cost of these two basic services is not low (air-conditions 20 pounds per week, deposit £ 7 per week)
- The most important point I left at the end and I want to warn all before choosing this hotel was because of it below. The hotel staff, including the manager of a VERY VERY rude, unfriendly and unprofessional people. I am shocked a multitude of positive reviews for the employees of the hotel. I think (like a few reviewers), the behavior of the staff is adequate for the amount of money spent in the hotel bar and the time spent in it. If you do not spend every day dozens of lira - you are not welcome there. The slightest little thing asked for, to fix something that simple question was met with an offended expression and unpleasant comments. I am surprised that they can be so rude, especially in a place where personal culture is critical for the success of the hotel. An additional element that hinders communication with the hotel staff was very weak level of English, noticeable even for a person like me, who speak English only communicative.
So much for Istankoy. With a clear conscience I would not recommend anyone to this hotel, definitely never go back there, a great pity that some people spoil my overall impression of the holiday. I wish you all good choices!

Room Tip: As far as possible from pool and drink bar.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tomasz S
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

The titled pretty much sums up our experience. From the moment we walked in until we left, Ali and all the staff looked after us very well! The location was great and there was a Turkish bath a few minutes walk. The hotel itself looks like its been recently renovated (we stayed in a suit) and seemed full of mainly package holiday makers. Unfortunately we were in Bodrum over one of their busiest weekends and as such we payed more than this hotel was worth. Have said that, I would stay here again if the price was right

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

lets start by saying you get what you pay for, with this hotel you get a little bit extra, the swimming pool area is a delight a lovely sun trap and can get very warm but the pool is there for a quick dip to cool off. It is not the biggest pool I have ever used but is nice. Room 410 very basic, furniture old and falling apart could do with upgrade, was told that would be done at end of season and shower room full of leaks from sink, shower and wc so wear sandals when you go in, some of the staff can be very sultry especially Eddie the head waiter, but the bar staff make up for this as they try to inject a bit of fun into the night. Location wise this has to be one of the best hotels in bodrum as its a five minute walk to the beach front and a further 5 minutes to the massive Halikarnus night club. All in all we have just spent a great week there and are thinking of booking up to go back again next May.

Room Tip: if you don't mind a dark room and no balcony then 410 has a great roof terrace with table and ch...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jamwhit57
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

The hotel is newly remodeled and the rooms are clean and comfortable. However, they did not remodel it with a high quality standard.

We stayed for two nights. The first night, the air conditioning started dripping constantly on our heads. In the morning, we could see that the water had damaged the headboard of the bed. We told them, and they sent someone to fix the air conditioner while we waited.

During the next night, it started dripping again all through the night! We told the front desk again the morning we were checking out, and all they said was, "Oh".

Also - be warned that the music that plays in the pool area for all the guests to hear every night until 12AM. You may also be greeted by the bartenders with a "Heyyy baby!" I am in my late 20s and married and was traveling with a friend; while I may look younger, there's no reason to be addressed that way in a hotel you are paying money for.

If you are looking for service, do not come here. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in Room 110
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lanna86
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed at the hotel in july this year with my family & partner - the place is just amazing, there is not one bad thing i could say about the hotel. The bar, kitchen & cleaning staff are all so amazing they made my holiday. Rooms were cleaned every single day without fail and the cleaners were so lovely and hard working! We even came into our room to find our clean towels been made into hearts & rose petals on the bed! The kitchen staff were always there to help anything you wanted eddie had it taken care of !! The food is 10/10 best place to eat is inside the hotel the chef is fantastic we only ate out one night the whole 2 weeks! They put on great shows and have a barbecue in the hotel every second friday which is also great. I would totally reccomend the boat trip also its only 30TL and its a great day out crazy hassan who works at the bar also joins you on the boat so its even better your not with all strangers! The bar staff where also so amazing i had a good few drunken fun nights there with my partner gabbing away with ahmed who just dotes on his daughter layla and fiencee maria! he was so lovely! So overall everything was amazing and i would reccommed it to everyone! Cried my eyes out leaving as you feel part of a family when your there everyone even cane out to our bus and hugged us goodbye! Cant wait to go back again next year ♥ ! X

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank lauradx
Staffs
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

We booked after reading reviews on here, seemed the kind of place we enjoy. Boy were we wrong. The cell they gave us was on the corner of the bar (room 102) and we knew straight away it was going to be noisy. First breakfast, not a good morning or anything, we had to figure where everything was even though staff were standing about looking hung over. At welcome meeting told Lisa there was only one glass door to shower and concerned about noise from bar. She said all music has to stop at midnight so not to worry, and went with me to reception about missing door to shower. Some manager in the back office started shouting that there was two doors to shower, he didn't come out of the dark office, I thought this was so rude. I asked him ' what do you think I have done with it, I have just arrived? Was offered room 505 which didn't seem any further away from bar and had pool pump as well, so declined. Nothing else was available. Sun loungers were packed so close together you had to climb on them from the bottom as there was not a quarter of an inch between them. It felt very uncomfortable and cramped. Then at 5 or 6pm they drag all the sunbeds away and put out the tables and chairs for dinner. All this is 2 inches from the bedroom window, I could not open the window or even the curtains because there was always people sat right outside. One time I opened the curtain and jumped, as did the diner as we were only inches apart. Then they put the bean bags out and at about midnight they drag all the tables away and put the sunbeds back. There is not peace here at all, at anytime of the day. The staff are sullen, and ignore you unless you are spending loads at the bar on their watered down, warm drinks, or you have a teenage daughter. One member of staff threw water all down the back of my legs and another time threw water over the 4 of us stood talking at the bottom of the steps. Music didn't stop at midnight as promised, staff were still shouting ' lets get this party started' at 20 past. Worst staff I have ever come across anywhere, only interested in getting your money, or drinking. Lots of better places to stay.

Room Tip: Don't have 102 if you want any sleep at all. Like a dark cell, cant open windows or curtains.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple