“Great food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #70 of 100 Hotels in Bodrum City
Halle (Saale), Germany
“Great food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I like to be positive: yes, this place has seen better days, but self catering apartments at this price are hard to find and the apartment we had was clean and had all we needed. Mr Typhoon was helpful, and they are hard at work trying to get the place back into shape. But by far the highlight was John's lokanta, on site. Great atmosphere, great food, great people. And at least the pool is still blue.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

The pictures shown must have come from the 1980's as this property is currently a disaster. The pool was empty and full of leaves when we stayed here at the height of the season in August 2013 and the walkways, stairwells and even the reception area were dirty and unkempt.

The Apartment itself has lovely stone flooring, a relatively new refrigerator and had been painted sometime in the last year but otherwise the place was full of old curtains, screens on windows were torn and blowing in the breeze, the furniture was minimal and unmatched, the sink areas and bathroom were horribly dirty and moldy and the kitchen counter had numerous burn marks and stains from past occupants. The toilet was stained and the door framing from (recent?) work was unfinished. The whole place had an overall sense shoddiness and lack of caring by the management/owners.

You would be well advised to stay at any of the other apartments in the area.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE - i guess rooms facing water are best if such a thing exists. the hotel is at top o...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Fred S

Travellers are raving about these Bodrum City hotels

Crevalcore, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Dirty rooms,mold on the wall,bathroom indecent,electrical outlets torn,defective fridges, no sheets on the bed, rude staff,high price for this latrine...Listing wrong and misleading picture..BE AWARE OF THESE PEOPLE! PLEASE try verything else BUT NOT THIS!!!! I HOPE BOOKING.COM & TRIPADVISOR.COM COULD DELETE SUNSHINE HOTEL FROM THEIR MAP!!!!The only regret I have is forgetting to translate turkish comments before book for my holydays..I didn't take photos due to our anger against the shocking situation..they also change our room with another...smaller with even more problems inside...we checked out the hotel after 2 days of the
of the 8 planned...PLEASE, DESTROY THAT BUILDING!!!!!

Room Tip: don't choose any rooms, stay out of there, danger zone!!! even on the road life seemed better th...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Marco B
Istanbul, Turkey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

Short version: crazy manager was completely unhelpful, cancelled my reservation after i got there, and had the guard physically kick me out. By the way, they are on top of a hill and not as close to the water as it appears on a map.

Long version: I booked this hotel through Agoda.com. Normally, using that website, you pay upfront with a credit-card (at the time of booking) and get a slightly lower price. At least, that was the way it worked the 15 other times I booked through Agoda in two other countries. In this case, however, apparently the hotel was listed through a partner agency (Bookings.com), and I was expected to pay upon arrival. Nothing about my booking alterted me to this crucial fact.

When I arrived at the hotel, no one was at the desk to check me in. I was told by a caretaker (?) who spoke little English, that I should pay, and when I explained that I had already paid, I was told to wait 10 minutes for the manager to drive over.

20 minutes later Mustafa arrived, and we proceded to get in an argument over whether or not the bill was already paid. Instead of offering me a room until things were sorted out (which would have been polite) or calling Agoda to clarify the situation (which would have been common sense), he proceeded to berate me and call Bookings.com, to have them send me an e-mail. He refused to call Agoda. Of course I got even more angry.

I asked the manager to at least let me use the computer behind the desk to find Agoda's number so I could call (at a large personal cost, because I would have been using a US cellphone). He refused again: "I don't have time for this," he said. Thinking that I had already paid for a room, which he was refusing to let me use, and actually going out of his way to be unhelpful, I got fairly angry. He then had the guard grab me and push me out.

It could be that he was correct about the facts of the case, but .... well, if you don't want to risk having your reservation cancelled upon arrival, and yelled at, and then thrown out, do not use this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank kmbush40
Cork
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2009

This "hotel" should not be allowed to advertise itself. It may have been a decent place a few years ago but is now a sorry excuse for a hotel. There is nothing about it that I would recommend

Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
KEnt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2008

My Family and i sayed at this Hotel for 2 weeks and we absolutly loved it, we were self catering here and that was a good job because there wasnt much choice on the food menu at this hotel but a 10 -15 minute walk and you can find a lovely resturant which is good value for money, or you can get a cab which is dirt cheap.. when we went on this holiday there were quite a few of us, age group ranging from 13 - 69, the problem is that the hotel is at the top of the hill, on one side if the hill is Bodrum and on the other is Gumbet, the older people in the family walked down the hills but ended getting a taxi or a dulmash (Bus) up. i would reckonmend a bout trip, these are out of this world, walk down to Gumbet beach and you will find a salesman with a boad about the boat trip, we paid £10 each and that was an all inclusive, all Beers and food free and once the boat trip is over they take you to a bar and you get a free cocktail. but back to the boat trip, the boats have two deks which are amazing, its an all day trip with stopping and getting off the boat, they stop at camel beach where you can have a camel ride at a cost, they also stop in the middle of the ocean and you can jump off the boat into the water. watch out tho its FREEZING.....the bar staff at the hotel are fantastic, they seemed to love my family and I and we keep in contact with them to this day,

Adam Winchcombe in Kent

• Liked — The Barr Staff
  • Disliked — the womon on reception
  • Stayed May 2006
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brighton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2008

Friendly staff, clean rooms but small, well placed inbetween bodrum & gumbet a short walk downhill but needs a taxi back but they are cheap, would go back.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — on a steep hill
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BrightonAlan
#22 of 81 in Bodrum City
The Marmara, Bodrum
The Marmara, Bodrum
#3 of 100 in Bodrum City

Been to Sunshine Hotel? Share your experiences!