“Very good but not excellent... from a young couple”
Review of Ambrosia Hotel

Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Bitez
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We just got back from a week in Bitez. I have got a lot to say about the hotel so if you don't want to read all of it just skim down to the last paragrah. Firstly check-in was fine receptionist knew it we were tired and gave us our keys etc promptly with the porter taking both our cases in and kindly switching on the air-con for us in the room also telling us how to use the phone.

We had a room facing the pool and we could see the beach too which was great as I would have hated to be on the ground floor facing the road whilst on holiday. The room is a decent size with a double bed, sofa, coffee table and dressing table with chair, wardrobe, fridge, safe, drawers etc. The room was clean with housekeeping coming in everyday to make the bed and clean/empty bins. They have phones in the rooms which was helpful as we couldn't figure out how to use the safe and a quick call to reception, 2mins after a knock was on the door :) The bathroom had toiletries, hairdryer and enough space to bring your own which we did. Bathroom could have been better as the grab rail was clearly broken at one point and they fixed it but didnt replace the broken tile (looked like shabby job), the painting wasn't straight enough and just bit attention to detail needed by the maintenance crew. My bf thought the bedroom was great only problem was there was only one english channel BBC World News.

Most people on here have complained about the sun loungers by the pool but in my honest opinion it's like that everywhere thus you snooze you loose. They dont pile you in like sardines round the pool which was great as you dont want to trip over anyone or have the pool overpacked... anyway the beach is literally a minute away!
Entertainment needs reworking as the irish singers (inc irish BeeGees) were not good singers, this coming from my irish bf. Also you can hear it from your room unless you are put on the otherside of the hotel (which most families were). Drinks anywhere in Turkey sitting down is expensive no exception here! We bought our drinks from the shop as a bottle of small water would cost 1L compared to hotel of 5L. I would advise everyone to drink before you even sit down for a meal anywhere as you will be thristy anyway.

The food we thought was great at first then I started disliking it due to some repetitive items and flies but my bf loved it! Also its a buffet so I cant complain really and because all restuarants are open (no windows no doors) you cant really keep flies away for good, just be aware of what you eat and if you can take havin an upset stomach (not saying that yo would get one). Unlucky me I found hair in my drink and food but they gave me a fresh drink and with the food they apologised and i got more from the buffet.
I would recommend the Turkish bath and haggle with Ozzy (whos there now) a spa rep for a better price! Don't ever believe you are getting a good price as it should be cheap there because they don't pay much for labour! I got Turkish bath and face mask for 40L it was great! My bf got a shave and face/head massage for 20L (they wouldnt budge on that price).

Overall i would go there again as the rooms are clean and spacious. The staff are warm and friendly. Entertainment not great but if you go 2 doors down to Temple Bar (not the one in Bodrum) they do AMAZING entertainment! The music dies down by 12am so you could sleep :) The food my bf thought was good (breakfast please do try the omelette!) Location great, dolmus stops right outside, good little shops around. Spa worth a visit very very chilled-out holiday. I would like to thank the hotel for a great relaxed holiday as me and my bf don't like being 'hassled' (over friendly staff who know you by name etc) and somehow your staff knew that and didn't bother us! :)
My bf would like to thank the irish bar member for arranging transport for him to go watch the hurling match as they couldn't get it to work at the Ambrosia. :)

Room Tip: Just let the hotel know what you would like. I asked for a top floor room facing beach and thats wha...
8  Thank Sansan328
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Ambrosia Hotel and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed the hospitality of the Hotel from the warm and friendly welcome from the staff at check-in, to the maid service in the room.

We have since informed our Technical service team about the bathroom issues which you experienced in your room and both problems have now been rectified. Overall we are delighted to hear that you both found our accommodation both comfortable and satisfactory.

We do try to keep sunbeds at the pool area to a certain amount as we do not want our guests to feel that the pool is too over crowded. At the hotel we monitor the sunbeds to ensure that towels are not left on the beds for a long period of time. There are many signs in and around the Hotel as well as the pool area stating that sunbeds are not to be reserved however we have to trust our guests to observe this and also to respect others.

We try to cater for all nationalities here at Ambrosia Hotel, as you can appreciate it can be quite difficult at times to satisfy all of our guests tastes. But thank you for your comments, I have mentioned them to the restaurant management. And on behalf of the Hotel we would like to apologise for the inconvenience which you experienced at the restaurant.

We are happy to hear that you found our staff helpful, and I have also informed Darren of your boyfriends appreciation for helping him with transport to watch the hurling match. I would like to thank you for choosing Ambrosia Hotel for your stay and I hope that we will be able to welcome you and your partner again in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Have just returned from at week at the Ambroisia. We had a wonderful holiday. The hotel was very clean and the food was excellent. Great location on the beach. Hotel staff were very helpful and friendly and made our stay very enjoyable. The only drawback was that the bar closed early around 11.30 most nights, so you had to venture into gumbet for more nightlife. On the plus side Richard Gere and Dustin Hoffman made our stay worthwhile....... Will definately be returning.

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor overlooking the pool and was very quiet
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Annie B
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Dear Annie,

We would like to thank you for writing a review for our hotel on Tripadvisor. Here at Ambrosia Hotel we do appreciate a guest's feedback and we try and endeavour to improve with every review that we receive. We are pleased to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful, I will certainly pass your kind comments on to the team.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Thank you once again for taking the time to write your positive comments.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

My husband and I were upgraded to a suite for our first 2 nights and struck a deal to stay in the suite for the remainder of our holiday.
The hotel is very freindly, guests are a variety of nationalities.
The staff are freindly and professional, especially Gill and Hassan on reception.
I would aggree with several reviews regarding the food. Breakfast is fine with a wide choice, dinner however is rather bland "school dinnerish". The buffet seating is canteen like. That said, if you want a cheap holiday, you will not be disappointed staying here half board.
The a-la-carte restaurant is very good, "Richard Gere" is a hoot.We had lunch here every day and a few evenings, and there are plenty of places to choose from further along the strip.
Evening entertainment varies from abismal to very good, just be a little choosy which nights you stay in.
The position of the hotel is excellant with wonderfull views across the bay, and Kos on the horizon.
We did not use the pool very often as we prefer the beach but usual towels on beds at the crack of dawn.
Service in the Shamrock bar was rather slow but hey ho, you are on holiday so in no rush.
Music is rather loud but switched down/off at midnight so not at all intrusive to sleep.
The waiters were very kind especially when my husband (who has MS) had a fall one evening during dinner.
Overall I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and resort, there is something for all ages. Do book it.

Room Tip: upgrade to a suite if you can, wonderful views and very spacious.
1  Thank colant
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent experience with us and for choosing Ambrosia Hotel as your holiday destination. It gives us great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the duration of your stay in one of our suite rooms. Thank you for your kind comments on myself and the rest of the team, I will certainly be passing your kind comments on to all departments. They will be delighted to know that their efforts have been appreciated.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. But we regret to hear that you did not have the same views about our evening meals. I have therefore passed your helpful feedback on to the management and kitchen staff.

Thank you for your recommendation, we do hope that we can welcome you both back to Ambrosia Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

we returned to ambrosia for a second year hoping it would be as good as last year....it wasn't....if you want a lively holiday forget it....bars close at midnight! ... during our 2 week stay there were 3 weddings....no apology for the disruption to our holiday was offered...we were ignored...the bars stayed opened late for these...no problem about the 'noise' on those nights!!...... then the football..big screens ...small screens...it was wall to wall!!! no other entertainment was offered...but other hotels managed to offer both??? then to add insult to injury while being served at the bar... on several occasions.... the barman interrupted serving us to serve a man who was waiting!!! So we won't be back....will stay at Manuela...where we were made welcome any time of day... or night!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank MaryMary018
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor, and thank you for choosing to stay at Ambrosia Hotel again. We are very sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations.

As you know Bitez is classed as a quiet family resort, so anyone who is looking for a lively holiday would be greatly disappointed. Due to the the laws which are enforced by the Bitez council music is only permitted until 12 o'clock at night. Although our music must be turned off at 12 o'clock both bars in the hotel remain open until all guests have left.

With regards to the weddings which were hosted during your stay at the hotel, we apologise for any inconvenience which it may have caused you, but here at our Hotel we do provide such services as Wedding venues to customers. All of the weddings which we do host at the hotel are booked well in advance prior to the summer season.

Ambrosia Hotel is actually not brochured to provide evening entertainment on a daily basis, but we do provide it out of the goodwill of the hotel. Also, whilst weddings are taking place at the hotel, only The Shamrock bar is used for the wedding guests. Our guests still have full use of both the bar in our Steak House Restaurant and our Lobby Bar.

We are disappointed to hear that Ambrosia Hotel did not meet your expectations. We do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the nearer future

Reviewed 27 July 2012

Having just returned home from a really great holiday I felt that i should take time out to thank the hotel and staff for making it memorable. The Hotel is in a perfect location right on the beach. My room was bottom floor right next to the pool which was no problem, there was very little noise from pool side. I must mention Mustafa the Hotel entertainment organiser, a very helpful and friendly staff member thank you for all your help, also the Thomson rep Kathy was very helpful and knowledgable when there was a hiccup with our boat trip. There are plenty of sunbeds for everyone to use on the beach, in all fairness I don't think you could get many more sunbeds around the pool. All in all I would recommend this holiday to my friends, we enjoyed ourselves so much we are going to book again for next year.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Graham B

Dear Graham

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent experience at Ambrosia Hotel. We are pleased that you chose Ambrosia for your holiday, and it gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was rewarding to read that you found all of our staff friendly and very helpful. I will most definatley pass on your lovely comments to both Kath and Mustafa.

We appreciate you recommending us and we look forward to having you coming back to Ambrosia Hotel once again in the nearer future.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

Just returned from a 7 day holiday at the Ambrosia hotel. We were delighted with the location, room and service. All the waiters were most friendly and very chatty. As previous guests have stated there are not nearly enough sun beds around the pool and they are booked from early morning. Our room (221) was very spacious and kept extremely clean. The beds had a blanket which we found too warm, a top sheet would have been preferable. The air condition and mini bar could have been a little cooler, but this did not spoil our holiday. We were half board and the food was very good with a choice each evening - there was something for everyone. The location is absolutely amazing with a short stroll to the beach were there are lots of sun beds so no complaints there. The staff patrolled the beach and were more than willing to get you drinks or food at any time of the day. All in all we have a wonderful time and intend to visit again next year.

Hilary Quinn

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor seem to stay cooler than those on the second floor.
1  Thank chatterbox915
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear Hilary

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderful and positive review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and found the location to be so convenient and our accomodation comfortable . We are also happy to hear that you found our staff most helpful and friendly.

With regards to the sun-loungers at the pool area, we do try to keep them to a certain amount as we do not want our guest to feel that the area is too overcrowded.

We apologise for the issues you encountered with your mini-bar and air-conditioning during your stay with us - I have since taken both issues up with our Technical service Team.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you both back to Ambrosia Hotel in the nearer future.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Just back from a really lovely break at the Amrbosia, we had such a great time. The location is right on the beach where we were at almost every day. There was never an issue with getting a sunbed there and the staff worked overtime with keeping the beach clean and free of litter. I understand frustrations of the pool sunbeds but we were not pool people especially with such a beautiful beach right in front of us.

The hotel surpassed our expectations, the front of house were so friendly, any issues we had were resolved straight away and without hassle. The room was modern, spacious and very clean. We had a nice veiw of the pool and sea and it was cleaned every day.

Good variety of food for both breakfast and dinner, we really enjoyed our meals and had no complaints at all, plenty of variety from day to day and each meal had an array of choices.

I do agree with some previous reviews, the wait staff are not the most efficient. One or two are quite good but we did our best to avoid others. Up to 20 mins wait for your drink with your meal and it became increasingly frustrating but other than that all good. In the evening times we were pretty much ignored some nights but evertually figured out it was just best to go to the bar ourselves.

Bodrum is definately a must and the bus service runs every couple of minutes there. We had a lovely evening there and were happy to have squezed it in.

Overall, we had a blast and will definately return. Bitez is so relaxed and the Ambrosia was a pleasure to stay in. Thanks to the staff and to Gill for being great hosts.

2  Thank Emc891

Dear Guest,

Thank you so for taking the time to write such a great review on Trip Advisor for Ambrosia Hotel, it is much appreciated. It was lovely to have met you both, and I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

With regards to the restaurant service, we have since addressed this matter and your feedback has been reviewed by the managment. We apologise for any inconveniences caused during service times.

Thanks again for your review and your lovely comments, we hope to see you both again in Ambrosia Hotel in the nearer future.