“A good 3 star hotel”

Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Bitez
London
“A good 3 star hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

This hotel is advertised as a 4 star hotel. It is not. However if you go expecting a very good 3 star hotel, then you will not be disappointed.
The rooms are functional and clean, although a little dated and tired looking. The staff are friendly and helpful.
There is a nice spa that offers Turkish baths, massage etc and a small hair salon which also does manicures and pedicures.
Although we were half board we did not eat the evening meal in the hotel so cannot comment, apart from saying there appeared plenty of choice.
Breakfast was fine, and the omlette and pancakes particularly good. However the 'orange juice' (orange squash) was totally disgusting and tasted like melted jelly babies eg sweet and sickly.
One negative thing I would like to say about the hotel which hopefully the management will take into consideration , is the state of the towels!! On some days the towels in the room resembled a Swiss cheese with the number of holes in them!! Certainly NOT 4 star!!
The overwhelming positive of this hotel is the location which is right on Bitez beach and withing easy walking distance to the numerous bars, shops, restaurants etc. Also the dolmus stops right outside.
Would I recommend it? Yes, if you go expecting a good 3 star hotel, but if you really are a very fussy 4 or 5 star traveller, then forget it, you will not be happy.
As a general comment about Turkey I would like to mention that I have been travelling to Turkey (Bodrum/Bitez area) for 8 years now and the prices for food and drink are the highest that I have ever seen and are more like prices you would pay on the Greek Islands and Spain.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Ambrosia Hotel as your holiday destination and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff service to be helpful and friendly.

Our restaurant management have been informed about your comments on the orange squash which is served during breakfast time. Your feedback is greatly appreciated as it helps us to improve in areas where needed. We are happy to hear that you found our facilities such as the Turkish Bath and Hairdresser to be of satisfactory during your stay.

With regards to the beach towels which we supply to our guest, we do apologize for this inconvenience. I can assure you that this matter has since been addressed with the management, and new towels have now been ordered.

We are happy to hear that you found the location of our Hotel to be so convenient. Thank you for recommending our Hotel. we do hope that we can welcome you and your family back to Ambrosia in the near future.

Ambrosia Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

The Staff are all great. Food was good if you want 5 * food then choose a 5* hotel .The hotel was spotless all the time. I liked that the pool had limited sunbeds as it was never over crowded and the beach has loads of beds too. Great location. Weather was amazing. Great bus service to bodrum 24 hours a day. We enjoyed bitez because we were central for everything plenty of choice of lovely bars and restraunts very relaxing place. Kath the Thomson rep was really lovely and helpful as were the reception staff. Our only bad thought is the evening entertainment is really loud to the point you can't have a conversation. We would go back again.

Room Tip: Don't be too near the shamrock bar
2 Thank Katie D
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2012
Dear Katie

We would like to thank you for writing a review for Ambrosia Hotel on Tripadvisor. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were satisfied with our staff service. I will certainly pass your kind comments on to the team, and also to Kath our Thompsons Representative.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Thank you once again for taking the time to write your positive comments.

Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed at the ambrosia the first 2 weeks in july, it was our 2nd time we have stayed there and as enjoyable as the first time or even a little bit more. The owner has done some excellent refurbishment since we came last time. The maid worked very hard from morning till evening and our room was spotless and all of the hotel.She cleaned our room everyday and towells where changed everyday too. Ambrosia is right on the beach with plenty of sunbeds on the beach, Loads of lovely expensive wicker furniture everywhere to sit and relax, happy hour was 4 to 5 where drinks and cocktails where buy one get one free. We never had a problem getting a bed round the pool, now down to the cats and dogs people have moaned about, i only saw one grey cat in the whole of my 2 weeks and it never came near you when you where eating just sat and looked, and the only dog i saw was the hotels dog, but i only ever saw him at night when the entertainment had finished late at night. Gillian on reception was lovely and always very helpful. This hotel is excellent value for money and the drinks actually cheaper than some of the restaurants in bitez we found. Bitez is a lovely resort we have been 8 times now and will be back and would not stay anywhere else now we have found the ambrosia..

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Rita-Pete
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Rita,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent experience at Ambrosia Hotel on Trip Advisor. We are pleased that you chose Ambrosia again for your holiday, and it gives us great pleasure to know that you both enjoyed your stay with us. I have forwarded all of your lovely comments on to our management team.

It was lovely to have met you both. Myself and everyone here at Ambrosia Hotel look forward to welcoming you back again. Thanks again for the great review!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

We just got back from a week in Bitez. I have got a lot to say about the hotel so if you don't want to read all of it just skim down to the last paragrah. Firstly check-in was fine receptionist knew it we were tired and gave us our keys etc promptly with the porter taking both our cases in and kindly switching on the air-con for us in the room also telling us how to use the phone.

We had a room facing the pool and we could see the beach too which was great as I would have hated to be on the ground floor facing the road whilst on holiday. The room is a decent size with a double bed, sofa, coffee table and dressing table with chair, wardrobe, fridge, safe, drawers etc. The room was clean with housekeeping coming in everyday to make the bed and clean/empty bins. They have phones in the rooms which was helpful as we couldn't figure out how to use the safe and a quick call to reception, 2mins after a knock was on the door :) The bathroom had toiletries, hairdryer and enough space to bring your own which we did. Bathroom could have been better as the grab rail was clearly broken at one point and they fixed it but didnt replace the broken tile (looked like shabby job), the painting wasn't straight enough and just bit attention to detail needed by the maintenance crew. My bf thought the bedroom was great only problem was there was only one english channel BBC World News.

Most people on here have complained about the sun loungers by the pool but in my honest opinion it's like that everywhere thus you snooze you loose. They dont pile you in like sardines round the pool which was great as you dont want to trip over anyone or have the pool overpacked... anyway the beach is literally a minute away!
Entertainment needs reworking as the irish singers (inc irish BeeGees) were not good singers, this coming from my irish bf. Also you can hear it from your room unless you are put on the otherside of the hotel (which most families were). Drinks anywhere in Turkey sitting down is expensive no exception here! We bought our drinks from the shop as a bottle of small water would cost 1L compared to hotel of 5L. I would advise everyone to drink before you even sit down for a meal anywhere as you will be thristy anyway.

The food we thought was great at first then I started disliking it due to some repetitive items and flies but my bf loved it! Also its a buffet so I cant complain really and because all restuarants are open (no windows no doors) you cant really keep flies away for good, just be aware of what you eat and if you can take havin an upset stomach (not saying that yo would get one). Unlucky me I found hair in my drink and food but they gave me a fresh drink and with the food they apologised and i got more from the buffet.
I would recommend the Turkish bath and haggle with Ozzy (whos there now) a spa rep for a better price! Don't ever believe you are getting a good price as it should be cheap there because they don't pay much for labour! I got Turkish bath and face mask for 40L it was great! My bf got a shave and face/head massage for 20L (they wouldnt budge on that price).

Overall i would go there again as the rooms are clean and spacious. The staff are warm and friendly. Entertainment not great but if you go 2 doors down to Temple Bar (not the one in Bodrum) they do AMAZING entertainment! The music dies down by 12am so you could sleep :) The food my bf thought was good (breakfast please do try the omelette!) Location great, dolmus stops right outside, good little shops around. Spa worth a visit very very chilled-out holiday. I would like to thank the hotel for a great relaxed holiday as me and my bf don't like being 'hassled' (over friendly staff who know you by name etc) and somehow your staff knew that and didn't bother us! :)
My bf would like to thank the irish bar member for arranging transport for him to go watch the hurling match as they couldn't get it to work at the Ambrosia. :)

Room Tip: Just let the hotel know what you would like. I asked for a top floor room facing beach and thats wha...
8 Thank Sanny328
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Ambrosia Hotel and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed the hospitality of the Hotel from the warm and friendly welcome from the staff at check-in, to the maid service in the room.

We have since informed our Technical service team about the bathroom issues which you experienced in your room and both problems have now been rectified. Overall we are delighted to hear that you both found our accommodation both comfortable and satisfactory.

We do try to keep sunbeds at the pool area to a certain amount as we do not want our guests to feel that the pool is too over crowded. At the hotel we monitor the sunbeds to ensure that towels are not left on the beds for a long period of time. There are many signs in and around the Hotel as well as the pool area stating that sunbeds are not to be reserved however we have to trust our guests to observe this and also to respect others.

We try to cater for all nationalities here at Ambrosia Hotel, as you can appreciate it can be quite difficult at times to satisfy all of our guests tastes. But thank you for your comments, I have mentioned them to the restaurant management. And on behalf of the Hotel we would like to apologise for the inconvenience which you experienced at the restaurant.

We are happy to hear that you found our staff helpful, and I have also informed Darren of your boyfriends appreciation for helping him with transport to watch the hurling match. I would like to thank you for choosing Ambrosia Hotel for your stay and I hope that we will be able to welcome you and your partner again in the future.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

Have just returned from at week at the Ambroisia. We had a wonderful holiday. The hotel was very clean and the food was excellent. Great location on the beach. Hotel staff were very helpful and friendly and made our stay very enjoyable. The only drawback was that the bar closed early around 11.30 most nights, so you had to venture into gumbet for more nightlife. On the plus side Richard Gere and Dustin Hoffman made our stay worthwhile....... Will definately be returning.

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor overlooking the pool and was very quiet
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Annie B
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Dear Annie,

We would like to thank you for writing a review for our hotel on Tripadvisor. Here at Ambrosia Hotel we do appreciate a guest's feedback and we try and endeavour to improve with every review that we receive. We are pleased to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful, I will certainly pass your kind comments on to the team.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Thank you once again for taking the time to write your positive comments.

kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

My husband and I were upgraded to a suite for our first 2 nights and struck a deal to stay in the suite for the remainder of our holiday.
The hotel is very freindly, guests are a variety of nationalities.
The staff are freindly and professional, especially Gill and Hassan on reception.
I would aggree with several reviews regarding the food. Breakfast is fine with a wide choice, dinner however is rather bland "school dinnerish". The buffet seating is canteen like. That said, if you want a cheap holiday, you will not be disappointed staying here half board.
The a-la-carte restaurant is very good, "Richard Gere" is a hoot.We had lunch here every day and a few evenings, and there are plenty of places to choose from further along the strip.
Evening entertainment varies from abismal to very good, just be a little choosy which nights you stay in.
The position of the hotel is excellant with wonderfull views across the bay, and Kos on the horizon.
We did not use the pool very often as we prefer the beach but usual towels on beds at the crack of dawn.
Service in the Shamrock bar was rather slow but hey ho, you are on holiday so in no rush.
Music is rather loud but switched down/off at midnight so not at all intrusive to sleep.
The waiters were very kind especially when my husband (who has MS) had a fall one evening during dinner.
Overall I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and resort, there is something for all ages. Do book it.

Room Tip: upgrade to a suite if you can, wonderful views and very spacious.
1 Thank colant
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent experience with us and for choosing Ambrosia Hotel as your holiday destination. It gives us great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the duration of your stay in one of our suite rooms. Thank you for your kind comments on myself and the rest of the team, I will certainly be passing your kind comments on to all departments. They will be delighted to know that their efforts have been appreciated.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. But we regret to hear that you did not have the same views about our evening meals. I have therefore passed your helpful feedback on to the management and kitchen staff.

Thank you for your recommendation, we do hope that we can welcome you both back to Ambrosia Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

we returned to ambrosia for a second year hoping it would be as good as last year....it wasn't....if you want a lively holiday forget it....bars close at midnight! ... during our 2 week stay there were 3 weddings....no apology for the disruption to our holiday was offered...we were ignored...the bars stayed opened late for these...no problem about the 'noise' on those nights!!...... then the football..big screens ...small screens...it was wall to wall!!! no other entertainment was offered...but other hotels managed to offer both??? then to add insult to injury while being served at the bar... on several occasions.... the barman interrupted serving us to serve a man who was waiting!!! So we won't be back....will stay at Manuela...where we were made welcome any time of day... or night!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MaryMary018
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor, and thank you for choosing to stay at Ambrosia Hotel again. We are very sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations.

As you know Bitez is classed as a quiet family resort, so anyone who is looking for a lively holiday would be greatly disappointed. Due to the the laws which are enforced by the Bitez council music is only permitted until 12 o'clock at night. Although our music must be turned off at 12 o'clock both bars in the hotel remain open until all guests have left.

With regards to the weddings which were hosted during your stay at the hotel, we apologise for any inconvenience which it may have caused you, but here at our Hotel we do provide such services as Wedding venues to customers. All of the weddings which we do host at the hotel are booked well in advance prior to the summer season.

Ambrosia Hotel is actually not brochured to provide evening entertainment on a daily basis, but we do provide it out of the goodwill of the hotel. Also, whilst weddings are taking place at the hotel, only The Shamrock bar is used for the wedding guests. Our guests still have full use of both the bar in our Steak House Restaurant and our Lobby Bar.

We are disappointed to hear that Ambrosia Hotel did not meet your expectations. We do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the nearer future

Kind Regards,
Ambrosia Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bitez
Doria Hotel Bodrum
#18 of 40 in Bitez
El Vino Hotel & Suites
El Vino Hotel & Suites
#1 of 99 in Bodrum City

Been to Ambrosia Hotel? Share your experiences!