“A Stunning Hotel, in a Beautiful Setting...”
Review of Ambrosia Hotel

Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in Bitez
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I had a fantastic time at this hotel & will be back again.
Below I have read some awful reviews and I can't quite understand why.....? I have stayed at this hotel a few times and my family and I have loved every minute of it.
Having read the reviews one thing that has struck a cord with me, is the complaints about food and hygiene thus leading to sickness etc. I think its highly unfair to suggest that, as I've seen how clean the kitchens & eating areas are. I have witnessed how the staff do not stop...they are constantly cleaning, and ensuring that tourists have an enjoyable eating experience. My son and I enjoyed the food, and many many others who I spoke to enjoyed there meals and did not have one complaint. (May I add that a lot of people become sick on holidays for a vary of reasons, please do not blame it on the food or the eggs, as My son who's 6, and I ate 2/3 eggs everyday!!)
I may add that i stayed there for 3 weeks, and in those three weeks I met many holiday makers who had nothing but good things to say about this hotel, so to anyone thinking of booking a holiday here, please do not be put off by some people and there mis-leading & inaccurate comments on this hotel. Because they are opinions , not 'facts' as suggested by Teddy A.
Now,to focus on the positive aspects of this hotel:
1) Location- Perfect. It is a spacious hotel, lovey views of beach, and well maintained with stunning plants/flowers throughout the hotel
2) Service/Staff- Can I say that I'm well travelled and have met many different people across the world, but in turkey and particularly in this hotel, the staff are the most pleasant, friendly, helpful, well mannered that I have come across. They spent time speaking with my son, and making me feel so welcome.
3)Rooms/Cleanliness- I loved my room, it was clean, fresh, bight, the shower was very powerful, and I enjoyed the wee luxury bathroom products.
4)Entertainment- What I liked about this hotel was that it was relaxing, (what u look for on holiday). I enjoyed the music at night by the irish band, my son enjoyed playing in the park while I enjoyed a peaceful cocktail. I would like to mention the 'weddings'....for anyone to complain about a wedding at a hotel, is utterly uncalled for. Firstly, how could you possibly have felt pushed out, when there are so many areas to sit and enjoy a drink and a laugh? Secondly, I was honoured to be able to watch such elegant weddings, especially from a different culture and see there way of doing things. It was very romantic and beautiful to watch. And if its not your thing, you do not have to sit close by and watch, you can go to the inside bar, or sit on the beach or even go and enjoy other sights in turkey.
4) Services- I enjoyed being pampered, i went and got a massage and manicure/pedicure, while my son got his hair cut. Very friendly staff and prices were fair.

Normally I would not feel the need to write on sites like this, but I find it unfair and unjust that a lovely hotel could get some inappropriate reviews like some of the ones below. I do not think there is enough appropriate evidence to back up such claims about food/rooms/staff etc.

I would advise anyone, families/couples to come to this hotel as you will have the time of your life :)
Thanks for reading. x

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ilovesolhan
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing such a lovely detailed review on Trip Advisor and the fabulous recommendation you have given about our hotel. I trust you and your family had a pleasant journey home.

We are delighted to hear that both you and your son had such a wonderful stay at Ambrosia Hotel. Thank you for the positive feedback, It is so rewarding to read that you found our accommodation to be so satisfactory. Your kind words will certainly be shared with our entire team.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our hotel next year!

Reviewed 13 September 2012

We arrived on the 23rd august for a 2week stay with a family of 17. The hotel was very clean and the staff was very friendly always asking if you are ok. Tahir couldn't do more to help you very friendly and very nice always smiling. All the staff was amazing. The free shuttle that they organized to go to gumbet at 12.30 that tahir and si sorted to take us to the clubs. You always felt safe they made sure you was ok and made sure u got home ok. The pool area was always clean. the beach was nice to walk out off your hotel and be on the beach. Couldn't off asked for a better 2 weeks holiday we will be back next year for sure. Thanks to everyone at amborisa hotel for a amazing holiday

• Stayed: August 2012
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Dear Rebecca,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent experience at Ambrosia Hotel. We are pleased that you chose our Hotel for your holiday destination, and we are most delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

It was rewarding to read that you found our accommodation satisfactory and all of our staff friendly and helpful. I will most certainly pass your kind comments on to Tahir and the rest of our staff.

Thank you also for your recommendation it is much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Ambrosia Hotel next summer!

Reviewed 13 September 2012

My family have returned from Bitez in the last week having stayed at this hotel. Be warned.
Having read some good reviews we found this totally not the case.

We urge you to stay away from this hotel. Not as it seems initially.... Please read on.

FOOD:

1. Firstly, having stayed all inclusive we quickly became very ill due to lack of hygiene practice at this hotel. My youngest child and wife had diarrhoea, cramping conducive to food contamination.

Food served on buffet area displayed early morn before consumption. Flies and heat working their magic on what was a very poor standard to start. This was witnessed by a number of guests.

2. Poor coffee and tea and an awful cordial drink provided at breakfast. Milk not chilled.
3. Very repetitive choice put out at evening buffet. We ate there twice and that was enough for us.
4 .Drinks were extra and waiters though quite friendly we're very erratic in taking orders. We were left waiting.

Then illness befell us!

Further points... Read on....
1.Rooms only average with poor air conditioning and awful shower. Not a 4 star standard.
2.Towels provided in bathrooms, falling apart and hard as a rock. Pool towels poor.
3.Pool area broken in areas, dangerous on your feet. Got splinters on day two!
4.Poor service. No one serves drinks to you at poolside. Lower bar area with staff who cannot understand simple orders like can I have 2 beers! Noisy music at times when your trying to relax.
5. Dirty glasses left lying around for hours and even days.. Tables dirty. Only cleaning done was glass barrier above children's pool and only partially done.
6. Non residents coming in from beach etc to use pools. Items were stolen from our sunbeds.!
7. Location is close to beach which we would recommend going to as hardly enough sunbeds available for guests based on numbers required. Hotel even puts up signs saying towels will be removed after 30 mins! Paying guests do not expect that.
8. General lack of hotel management. We believe it has changed hands and that figures!
9. Some staff quite courteous others lack training and people skills.
10. There has been a change in management and over the last few years this hotel is rapidly going downhill. Stay away is our advice. There are plenty other options for a nice stay in Bitez but certainly not here. Its a tacky option with poor entertainment, tv screens, blaring music at times.
Stay well away. Many nice self catering options around Bitez and smaller family run businesses with customer service skills and aim to please attitudes. Not the Ambrosia!!!

Room Tip: Can't say we had ground floor and noisy guests arriving late
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Josie D
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write another review of your experiance at Ambrosia Hotel. Please find my resonse to your previous review titled 'Teddy A'.

Regards,

Reviewed 12 September 2012

Me my wife and daughter have just arrived back and all we can say is wow .i can honestly say I wasn't looking forward to going to turkey as I had heard so many bad reports but after a day there all these reports then vanished well were do I start we arrived at 4.30 in the morning and was shown to our room were all I can say was wow what an amazing view overlooking the hotel grounds pool view and just a stones throw from the beach . We soon settled in to the laid back Turkish culture and was soon loving our holiday since we have come back I have read reports on here of food poisoning are utter none sense the food was absolutely what you expect typical continental good traditional food general tidiness around the hotel was great the staff them self well are what I could only describe as perfect rite from the beautifull and ever helpfully gill on reception through to Darren the entertainments guy then you have yusuf and nevsat at the bar then the cheecky chappie sonner who all made our holiday the best ever just a couple of things to say and not negative ones either if you want to fine peace and quiete you will love this place but please those people who use to ring down and complane about a little bit of music around the pool bar at happy hour get a life the guy is there doing his job and does it well as for the waiters they are friendly and doing there job if they they were to walk around and ignore you then fine but they don't very hard working and genuine people the only down side to the holiday is that we had to come back home but while we were there we met some beautiful people and only been back three days and already booked up for next year

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank Baggies72
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing such a lovely detailed review on Trip Advisor and the fabulous recommendation you have given about our hotel. Your kind words will certainly be shared with our entire team.

We are thrilled to hear that both you and your family had such a wonderful stay at Ambrosia Hotel. Thank you for the positive feedback, It is so rewarding to read that you found our accommodation to be so satisfactory.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our hotel next year!

Reviewed 11 September 2012

We are wrting this because we booked this hotel on the views we read on tripadvisor - that being this hotel was highly rated.
Myself and Husband booked a week here and consider ourselves well travelled. We have been to Turkey before but like to try new places.We aren't divas or over the top fussers so please read on.
This hotel is a two star and thats it being generous!
The only good thing is the beach right outside the Hotel - However, all the hotels along the front had the beach in front anyway.
The hotel itself - Unless you get a room beach facing all the others had nothing to offer in lines of a view. Air Con was turned down at the mains in the night time. No outside food or drink was allowed in the hotel.
Staff - Waiters Very rude and no manners. Not many spoke english. The ones that did just wanted to serve you as fast as they could. On the beach, you could get waitor service, but they was only interested in tapping up the women.
Resort - Only restaurants -which if you walked past, were pestered all the time to come in.
Food - Terrible, flies on uncovered, warm food. Drinks were included at breakfast only - Coffee, tea and warm orange, which was either too diluted or pure cordial. You could get a full english but you had to pay for that, from the restaurant side. Dinner - salad on one side and meatballs or some kind of meat, usually not cooked onthe other. Chips or pureed mash.
After third day I was very ill with diarhoea for the rest of my holiday and my hubby came down with it on the last day and still is ill.
Cost - We found above average for Turkey - outside the hotel, but in hotel very high
The other annoying thing was there is a steak restaurante next to the buffet which half board guests were segragated from and the food was made by the same chef, but looked much better quality. We felt like the lower class eating from the slops. We are only happy we didnt take the children. We know other guests felt exactly like us - we did voice our opinions to the rep and some of us spoke to the manager, whether its going to make a difference.
I just hope people read this as we definately wont be going back there.

Room Tip: If you can get one beach facing, every other has no view and nothing to see.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank eccles44
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent holiday experience at Ambrosia Hotel. We are disappointed to hear that our Hotel did not live up to your expectations.

With regards to your comments on our rooms, like most hotels that are situated on the beach front only a limited amount of rooms can have a sea view. And at Ambrosia Hotel our we do offer our guests the opportunity to upgrade to a suite room at an extra cost. The remaining rooms at the hotel offer either a pool or garden view.

All our electrical appliances within the hotel including the air-conditioning are powered by a 220 volt supply. The 220 volt supply is supplied by our power provider and cannot by regulated by our hotel.

As a standard practice in the majority of hotels throughout Turkey outside food and drink is not permitted.

With regards to the staff service which you received at our restaurant , as all of our guests are not english speaking, our waiters are recruited to serve a variety of linguistic needs. As this was high season during your stay at the hotel the waiters would be under extreme pressure and therefore are unable to spend as much time as we would like with individual guests.

All the hot food served at our half board restaurant is served from a benmari. And once the lid remains closed there should be no issues regarding flies or food been served at an incorrect temperature. All of our salads and cold meats are served from a chilled temperature controlled cabinet. Drinks are only included at breakfast as we use a half board concept at the hotel.

We are sorry to hear that you fell ill on your holiday, as you know your representative visits our hotel on a regular basis, and could have been approached for any help needed regarding your illness. As you are probably aware diarrhea can commonly be caused by dehydration. This can normally be rectified by a short visit to one of the many medical clinics in the area.

Again we are sorry to hear that your visit to our hotel did not meet your expectations. We do hope that we can welcome you and your husband back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 10 September 2012

we have just returned from one week holiday in the Ambrosia hotel. The weather was fantastic, not a cloud in sight for the whole week. Arrived in the early hours of the morning ,no delay in checking in. We were taken to a gorgeous room on the groung floor looking onto the pool. very spacious ,lovelu decor ,plenty wardrobe space, mini-bar and free safe deposit box. The bathroom was spacious with the shower in the bath. Room was very clean and towels were changed every day. Beds were very comfortable,didnt hear a sound at night and had a wonderful sleep every night. Buffet style breakfast was lovely-freshly cooked omelettes, pancakes ,tomatoes,cheese etc. The buffet dinner lacked choice and was very repeditive. Having stayed in Gumbet previously where buffet dinner was excellent I was a bit disappointed. But that was the only criticism. I loved Bitez ,very relaxing ,great entertainment and the beach and water was gorgeous. Gil and Hassan in reception were very friendly and helpful. will definitely be back to the Ambrosia.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank maryCoKildareIreland

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent experience at Ambrosia Hotel. We are pleased that you chose our Hotel for your holiday destination, and we are most delighted to hear that you have decided to stay with us again!

With regards to our evening buffet, I have forwarded your comments on to the relevant departments and this will certainly be looked in to. All feedback is very valuable for us as we can improve our standards and offers as per the guests needs and expectations.

Thank you for your lovely comments about myself and the staff here at the hotel, I will most certainly be informing our team about your nice compliments

Thank you again for your very helpful feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ambrosia Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Myself, wife and family arrived to this hotel mid-August 2012. Any good reviews posted recently are total nonsense. We will fill you in on the TRUE facts about this so called 4 star hotel.

On arrival it appeared quite nice with quite an impressive foyer with huge chandelier!

Location was good onto Bitez seafront.

That is where the good points end... so here goes....

ROONS: Our room was poor with a shower that trickled and bath water ran at the same time (we complained twice regarding this) and it remained insufficient.

TOWELS: Towels provided were awful, rock hard, thread-bare and were like something dragged up from a long forgotten 1960's hotel. The same goes for pool towels!

LINEN: No top sheets provided on the beds but a coarse blanket barely enough to cover one person.

More importantly our holiday became quite a nightmare!

ILLNESS: About 3 days into it my family became extremely ill with awful symptoms of diarrhoea, fever and cramping. An horrific ordeal. Many, many other guests were ill too during this period. Symptoms persisted for us and many people. Many guests ate omelettes (eggs pre-whipped) and not refrigerated!

FOOD/HYGIENE: Food at this hotel presented on the buffet all inclusive basis was being placed out at sunrise, lying in the early morning heat, some uncovered with flies landing on it (and believe us Turkey hits 40 plus degrees by day 30 plus degrees by night!). We witnessed this before our morning swim/walk. Guests generally, on average arrive for breakfast at 8 or 9 am so food is there for at least 2 hours prior to the unsuspecting unfortunate people consuming it!!! What a disgrace for adults and children alike to be put at risk like this. The same applied to evening food placed out ahead of commencement time of 7.30pm. The barbeque area billowed out smoke on many a night! We actually felt sorry for the men working at it. Clearly not cleaned down properly - if at all.

OUTSIDE POOL/BAR: The outside bar areas remained untouched for days during our stay. We noted dirty glasses still in the same position at tables whilst many staff stood around doing sweet nothing as each hour passed by. Nobody ever cleaned the glass table tops and food stuffs were left at the outside shaded houses by the children's play area.

DECKING: There is a wooden decked area around the pool in need of repair. One guest beside us received splinters in his feet due to this. Footwear is vital. Pool cleaning was dubious. Some guested presented with ear infections.

STAFF: Some waiters were quite pleasant when they felt like it. However, others were pestering guests such as young women sitting on their own at breakfast or evening buffet whilst they were trying to eat. Service was intermittent and drink orders could be dealt with quickly one eve and then your left waiting the next eve. Check your change.

WEDDINGS: 2 weddings occurred during our stay and guests were shoved off to one-side in the evenings with little attention given. Very noisy.

ENTERTAINMENT: 1 WORD - WOEFUL!

What an awful experience we had at the Hotel Ambrosia. We would recommend that nobody sets foot in this place. Hotel staff and management along with tour operators need a serious lesson in customer service. This hotel should be removed from the brochures as it is a highly misleading write up. Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful. BY NO MEANS A 4 STAR HOTEL. NO STARS WE WOULD SAY!

Room Tip: No room good enough...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank TeddyA420
Ambrosiabeach, Guest Relations Manager at Ambrosia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review on your recent experience at Ambrosia Hotel. As you can imagine we are disappointed to hear that you found our hotel not to be up to your standards. Here at Ambrosia Hotel we welcome all guests feedback as it is important for us to improve in areas where needed.

Firstly, during your short stay at our hotel I do not recall you coming to reception to report a problem with your shower or bath. Had you of done so, our technical service team would of rectified the problem immediately. Also, if you were unhappy with your room you could of reported it to myself or to your Thomas Cook Representative Joy, who you know visits our hotel on a regular basis, and we then would of relocated you to another room.

The towels which are supplied in all of our rooms are of a high standard. If you felt that this was not the case you could have contacted reception and this would of been immediately rectified by our housekeeping staff. Our beach towels have since been replaced with new Turkish style towels. Again, if you desired extra bed linen, you should of contacted reception as we would of been more than happy to provide you with some.

With regards to you falling ill during your stay with us; As you know you did visit the local clinic in Gumbet, and the doctor there confirmed that you had no contracted food poisoning from the hotel. We did ask you if you would like to receive further medical assistance, but you refused. You then proceeded to go on a day trip to Kos and then on a local boat tour. So to the best of knowledge we assumed that you were feeling better. As you know the weather was very hot during your stay, and this can have a bearing on your well being if not controlled adequately. Also, the change of food, oils, vegetables can also have an effect on ones well being.

All of our pre-prepared food is stored in chilled refrigerator. All the hot food served at our half board restaurant is served from a benmari. And once the lid remains closed there should be no issues regarding flies or food been served at an incorrect temperature. All of our salads and cold meats are served from a chilled temperature controlled cabinet. Our half board breakfast is laid out continuously between 7am and 10am. This is to facilitate all our guests many needs. Many of our guests require an early breakfast due to participating in early morning excursions.

We have a number of cleaning staff who work round-the-clock hours to ensure our hotel stays at a high level of cleanliness. This also including the pool area and the children’s play area.

With regards to the wooden decking around our pool area, I have informed our technical service team of your comments and they are currently looking in to this.

With regards to your comments on the staff service which you received at our restaurant , as this was high season during your stay at the hotel the waiters would be under extreme pressure. I’m sure you can appreciate that most of our waiters can work sometimes up to more than 12 hours a day, and therefore are unable to spend as much time as we would like with individual guests.

Yes, during your stay with us at our hotel we catered for two weddings. Whilst weddings are going on all of our guests still have the full use of our restaurant bar and also our lobby bar. Ambrosia hotel is not brochured to provide entertainment on a nightly basis, but most nights we do out of the goodwill of the hotel. Bitez itself is classed as a family resort, so unlike other hotels located in such areas as Gumbet and Bodrum where entertainment and music would continue until the early hours of the morning, Bitez by law must finish all music by 12pm.

With regards to the entertainment which we provide, as you know you only spent three nights here at the hotel, and for two of those nights there were weddings. So it was unfortunate that you did not get the chance to experience the nightly entertainment which we provide for our guests.

Again we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. But we do have many repeat guests who come back time after time. You only have to read the Tripadvisor reviews to find that the good out way the bad. But its each to their own taste.