“Worst holiday I've ever had!”
Review of Filis Otel

Filis Otel
Ranked #19 of 99 Hotels in Gumbet
“Worst holiday I've ever had!”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

When arriving at the resort it looked lovely, small and quiet and very pretty. But outlet first impressions were soon changed! The hotel staff were very rude and the owners son spent the whole week asking me and my partner for cigerettes. We had money stollen from our room and when comforting them about it the staff mainly the owner of the hotel got very agressive and shouting in my partners face and went to hit him. I would advise people not to waste there money on this hotel, there theifs and very rude! Gumbet itself is a lovely place but the Hotel and staff pretty much ruind our holiday as we went with not a lot of money and after having 400 lira stollen in the space of a week it ruind a lot of our plans. We were put in the wrong room and after having an argument with the hotel staff about my money being taken the cleaner never Enterd my room and left us with dirty sheets and towels for the renaming few days!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Char2012x

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

When we arrived and the first couple days everything seemed perfect, gorgous pool, spotless rooms and the staff seemed lovely but on the second night, 200 lira went missing from one of our suitcases. We just dismissed it as may have been miss placed. The third night another 200 lira was taken from another one of out suitcases, at this point we realisd it was just a coincidence so decided to call are rep. She wasn't able to visit us untill the following evening. A few hours before she was due to turn up yet again another 200 lira was taken from my LOCKED suitcase. We explained this to the rep who told us we wouldn't be able to get any money back but she would have a chat with the hotel owner. We agreed she would do this the day after we left to avoid any awkwardness. We decided to keep all money we had left on us when not at the hotel. The next day we were sat by pool, myself on my phone using hotel wifi. The wifi went down so I put my phone undead bag back into our room, thinking it would be safe as only sat literally a few meters away from room. At most, a hour later I went back to room and my phone and another 200 lira had disspaeared. At this point I was furiuse, upset and to be honest heartbroken as my phone was the only contact I could have with my son while away and didn't know any phone numbers off the top of my head for phone box. I went to reception, in tears and explained what had happened. No one there could understand a word of English so we had to get a inturpator. When she arrived, all they pair could do was laugh at the whole situation, and caused us of lieing & making a insurance plan. While I was taking to the owner, one of my friends watched the cleaner and anther employee walk in the direction of our room, so followed them. As he got to them they were walkinh out the the hallway leading to my room, he went in looked at where my phone was first of all left and it had reappeared. We couldnt prove anything as didn't actually see them come out of the room, just that direction. With this the owner got really aggressive and nasty, shouting at us, refusing for us to call our rep grabbing my friend by the coller and raising his fist. He was shouting I want you out and in ringing the police over and over again. We were finally able to get hold of are rep who when turned up was shocked at how aggressive and nasty the owner was being. Luckily the rep persuaded him to let us stay as every other hotel was fully booked but for the rest of are stay there it was awkward, we got treated differently to other guests and didn't get our room cleaned or fresh sheets for the rest of our stay. If it wasn't for the owner & staff it would be a lovely place!

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Summe20
Reviewed 12 June 2012

we were pleasently surprised when we arruved at this hotel in the early hours. Alex (Owners son) was there waiting our arrival and offered us refreashments. he showed us to our room and said if we did not like it he could move us the following morning. the room was spotless typical turkish which was nice bedding was spotless clean towels and soap available we had a balcony with a view of the lovley pool. we did not have a problem with the breakfast as we have been to turkey many times and this is exactly what they have for breakfast. we had freash tomatoes cucumber eggs olives loads of fresh bread butters cheese jam and butter along with endless tea and coffee. they staff were all very friendly and couldnt do enough for us arranging a room for us to keep on our last day as we had a very late flight . i would recommend this hotel basic but lovley. thanks to the staff knehat and alex we had agreat time and are returning again in july. if you are eating out i would recommend the mellienium twenty yards from the hotel on bar street the food is to die for many tradtional turkish dishes and all reasonably priced

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lynda2401
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

great place .friendly people. clean rooms good food and bar. going back again next year

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank davelil
drewbaby
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We have been visiting Gumbet for the past 5 years, and we normally dont want our holiday to end.
We chose the Fillis Otel as a last minute booking, I had read the reviews and chose it on this basis. We arrived on a very hot morning and on first site every thing looked good. We were shown to our room, it was basic, bed, wet room and small dressing table. We went onto the balcony which was shaded by large trees and shrubs so we asked if we could move to another room where we could get the sunshine after all that is what we came for.They did this after a couple of days and we were happy with this.

We were out most of the time, and on returning one evening I went to my purse to get some money to change and found that £120 had gone.We were informed by other hotel guests that the owners son had been in our room.When we asked why they said that he was there checking to see if we had LEFT?
As we were there on a budget, this ruined a lot of our plans, no point in confronting him as we had no sound proof, but after this we made sure that nothing was left around, and infact locked our belongings away at another hotel.
The owners son, extremely rude and aggresive towards guests was seen on more than one occasions putting money that guests had paid for drinks into his pocket, and that he had also informed another member of staff that he was going to add money to the bar bills. One guest was charged 261 Lira [ £100] for his drinks for 2 days.He tried to charge us for drinks that we had not had and when my husband refused to pay he pushed himself up to his face.
Unless the owner of the hotel does something about him, I am afraid that he will not have a hotel much longer, this is a shame, as it is a lovely cheap getaway, close to Bar street, but not to close to be disturbed by the music.
We met guests who had stayed there in May and June and said that at that time it was a lovely place, with excellent staff and a good atmosphere.
I would not normaly slate any hotel, as you get what you pay for, but for me I will not be returning to the Fillis otel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank drewbaby_9
Kent, England
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My friend and I just got back from a week's holiday in Gumbet staying at this hotel. Yes, the room was basic but it was spotlessly clean and there was always hot water for the shower. The maid came in and cleaned the room every day and the sheets and towels were always fresh. The owner was always helpful and the staff were friendly. The owner's son was a bit of an idiot and could do with some lessons in customer relations but hey, his problem. It is a very small hotel, so people tend to chat and everyone we spoke to was very friendly. The hotel is in a great location and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you just want somewhere for a good value break in the sun.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 1st floor, thoswe on the ground have restricted views becaquse of all the p...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank GoawayKent_England
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We only paid £87 for a week B&B so our expecatations could not be high. The hotel is positioned perfectly, 5 mins to everything including beach, night life (bar street) and restaurants. There is no noise from the bar street at night, it's just far enough away. We didn't stay around the pool, we opted for the beach every day as all the sun loungers were reserved early in the morning, plus the area is a bit small. The gardens are nice but a bit overgrown. The rooms are poor - the beds are single, small and hard and the bed linen has seen better days. Towels were dirty and hard. The bath room is very basic but ok, but sewage smells come through the drains in the evening making it quite unpleasant. The breakfast was a disaster, not even a basic continental, just some salads, egg and cheese - we opted to leave it becuase it was covered in flies.

In short, if you want to pay a budget price for a good location, come here, but just use it as a base.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank real_g_84
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gumbet
Hotel Bagevleri
Parkim Ayaz Hotel
Parkim Ayaz Hotel
#7 of 98 in Bodrum City
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,021 reviews

Been to Filis Otel? Share your experiences!