“Anker Resort? What a total LET DOWN!!!”
Review of Anka Hotel

Anka Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gumbet
Anka Hotel
Ranked #53 of 100 Hotels in Gumbet
England
“Anker Resort? What a total LET DOWN!!!”
Reviewed 10 September 2006

OMG where do i start?? this hotel is a complete and utter shambles. me, my family and my boyfriend booked in to stay at the anka resort for 2 weeks. we arrived at 5.00am on a monday morning, the staff took me to my room and it was like living in a squat! the lights didnt work, the showers were cold, the toilet seat was dirty and we were shoved up with the turks and they had dirty glasses a big dirty matress out side out room and a big light shining in to the window 24/7 it was room 922 if any bodys is unlucky enough to stay there. Any way we were moved rooms the day after and our room was a lot nicer. Except the fact that when the cleaner cleaned our room she didnt leave any sheets for us to sleep with nor any towels, and when we did fone reception up to ask them for some they totally ignored our request so we ended up going with out. A few days into the holiday and my step dad slipped on a wet floor and fell down 12 marble stairs and injured all his back! The staff are not friendly and the staff are definatly not helpful! when we went to get a glass of orange we found a piece of chewing gum stuck to the bottom of the cup! The food is the same every day and its all turkish, i mean why let english people stay at your hotel if u dont cater for them?!! we ate out every night which cost us a fortune! some ALL INCLUSIVE!And to top the whole holiday off, on our last day my 10 year old brother tripped over a loose wire on the steps and smashed it head on the step infront and ended up in hospital for 5 hours getting his head stitched up, 7 stitches!!! we wernt sure if we were able to fly the next day but luckily we were! Trust me if u have booked your holiday to stay at the anka resort i advise you to swap it as quick as possible!!!

• Liked — the view!
  • Disliked — the food, the staff, the steps, the location, ect
  • Tips/Secrets — make sure you take a lot of money because you will be eating out every night!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Maxine06

Solo
Business
  • Turkish first
ESSEX
Reviewed 26 July 2006

I really did dread getting to the hotel after reading the reviews on this site. Was really happy after though. The hotel was spotless, and the staff were friendly (God only knows how as they work 20 hour shifts). The rooms were lovely and so was the hotel facilities. Myself and my girlfriend loved our stay. It was our first holiday together, and we coouldn't of asked for a better one. The food was nice. It did get a little repetative, but i think you find that alot when you go somewhere that serves buffet style meals, especially after two weeks. In my opinion, this holiday is great for people of all ages. young groups have a relaxed atmosphere during the day, and good access to the main nightlife. Couples looking for a peaceful escape can enjoy the hotels isolated situation between gumbet and bodrum town.

Don't worry if you have read a bad review.
They don't relfect the hotel at all.
Maybe the steps bit...
lol

• Liked — The isolated location
  • Disliked — Maybe the steps.... Not really a problem though.
  • Tips/Secrets — Take comfortable shoes.
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank iROK
Reviewed 22 November 2005

I have been on holiday to all the main places a young english tourist would (ibiza, crete, tenerife, to name a few), but this absolutly topped the lot. After I had booked my holiday to Anka, I came to this web page and read to first review...the bad one. I was soooo scared that my holiday was going to be pants that I went in and tried to change it... boy am I glad that I wasn't able to! From beginning to end everything was just as I had expected and more. The Hotel was beautiful, the staff as friendly as I had ever met, the food yummy and moreish, and the drinks as you would expect from a local variety. Our room was cleaned every morning by a lovley maid who even did artwork with the towels! mealtimes were a dream with 4 choices of main meal, 35 choices of salad, and 8 different desserts. I thought I would get as fat as a pig, but with all that salad and hundreds of steps to contend with everyday.. I came back lighter than when I went! Our hotel was out of the way of all the hustle and bustle so had beautiful views from the hotl... but when that got boring we just jumped on a mini bus outside the hotel to go to gumbet or bodrum..which only cost 60p!!! We went into gumbet central and found that if we bartered with travel agents we could even get 3 tour packages for the price of 1!!! So that meant for £5 we were took to an old turkish market (absolutly massive), an old Turkish village tour, where you got to see old traditions, and carpet making and pot making.. etc, and a boat tour (with lunch included)which even took us as far as greece!!! And yes that was for £5 of my english pounds.. with as much apple tea as one can drink! In the eveings the town centres turned into something like Ibiza after dark. Loads of clubs to choose from, with loads of offers. We were a bit worried about getting a taxi... but no, the minibusses run 24 hours!! so 60p to get back. Again though, as the hotel is out of the way, anayone who doesn't like that sort of thing can bypass it. Myself and my friend loved it here so much we are planning on moving out here. I had the time of my life! (oh and the brochure I looked at did in fact tell me that this hotel had a lot of steps).

• Stayed October 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Gunnislake, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2005

hello all
this was the first holiday abroud with my girlfriend.
this hotel was amazing very freindly staff and the food was great lots of choice.
the bus service there is A1 24/7 and very cheap.
we could learn alot from that.
we are at the moment looking to book up there again for two weeks instead off one this time.
gumbet is very friendly at night and a great laugh but bodrum felt the oposite but in the day bodrum is well recomended.
the only thing i would recomend you dont do is you dont book with deture as we where nearly stuck there with no return tickets.
overall very good holiday

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank Cornishmanuk78
Reviewed 19 September 2005

ok ill be fair, some of the reviews on here are totally unfair, having read the reviews i was dreading my holiday so i was pleasantly suprised. Yes there are a lot of steps, i noticed them particularly because im so unfit so if there is anyone with walking problems or disabilities in your party, then this is NOT the resort for you. the hotel does not really cater for the english, but we're quite fussy eaters. at breakfast there is cornflakes, slices of meat, cheese, and watermelon (one of our party lived on this the entire holiday.) theres a lunch time buffet which is salad, rice/mash potato and a sort of lumpy stew kind of thing. then at about 3 the pool snack bar opens for an hour to serve chips, u get about 12 on a plate and they're not happy if u take more than one plate each! dinner is rice (i lived off the stuff) usually some sort of curry, soup (different each night and usually quite nice) some meat, one night there was lamb kebabs. every night you can ge pita bread made there and then for you but the que was always horrendous and the turkish do NOT hurry themselves, the less people they serve, the less money they loose. this was the same story for the bars, the barmen never hurried themselves and often served people behind me (i irritated them in the first day by asking them not to look at my breasts.)

it is not really what id say all inclusive. unlimitted red and white wine/vinegar, as well as unlimited beer and soft drinks. the pool bar is the only place you can get your spirits from, and the only all inclusive spirits were gin, vodka and this turkish reiki stuff (apparently a pinot type drink.) you can get free soft drinks and beer from the bar at dinner as well as at the bar near the quieter pool. also onsite was the orange beach bar, i never drank there but i think you can buy all your spirits there and it has a disco, i wasnt particularly impressed with this bar but i could recommend it to younger people who dont fancy the nightlife of gumber because its got squidgy cusions right near the water, a late nite disco and alcohol!!

beach is a bit of an overstatement, the anka resort actually has a wooden pier over the water whic in itself is beautiful and lots of soft cushions you can sit and read on by day but dont forget, any time spent at the beach means you'll be paying for your drinks because the "beach" is about 30steps away from the complex. the sea is beautiful, crystal clear, alittle cold but refreshing. also next to the ankas wooden pier theres a little beach with a few sunbeds, this belongs to the hotel next door but if u buy a drink from their staff (and they sell english type baguettes!) they're fine and let you stay there, and it is beautiful.

the hotel is nicely located, you could walk to gumbet but we were far too lazy for that, its all uphill and a dolmus (turkish bus type thing) stops directly outside the hotel and for 150lira (60p) takes you straight into gumbet,bodrum or this other place bitez where theres a nice proper beach and loads of hamocks to lie in. Gumbet is fantastic, its like the tenerife of turkey, loads of shopping if you fancy some "channel" shoes or just nosing around all the turkish stalls. also the nightlife is good, theres kareoke bars, randb bars (mysterys good) chessy clubs (a place called matrix is fab, cheese fans and my mum would love it.) i didnt find the alcohol that cheap there to be honest, but a place called atlantis which is a bit down the hill in gumbet has all cocktails for 5 lira, so we went there loads, its randb ish. also they sold fishbowls of cocktails and once wed bought one wed fill it up with our own orange and vodka brought from the hotel!!

excursions are easy to book in either gumbet or bodrum but shop around cos you can always get a better price. we paid about £7 for the aquapark which included transfers and it was a nice day out, a few slides and a change of scenery. we also went to helikanos which is apparently the biggest nightclub in europe. i dont know if we were just drunk but we really enjoyed it, it was posh by turkish standards, had a dancefloor surounded by the sea, and played well known randb classics all night, the drink is expensive there tho and the free wine is undrinkable, do go if u like randb tho, it was great. bodrum is a little more sophisticated we only went there the once. its better for shopping than gumbet and has slightly more upmarket restaurants and a pretty harbour.

getting back to the hotel, the rooms are extrememly basic which would be ok but i didnt find them particularly clean. we were a party of 4 and the other 3 were ok with them but im the snob of the group and i can assure you they're not clean.sheets were changed once in the week, my blanket resembled a towel and wasnt great, the bathroom gave me the creeps it was dirty and the toilet brush needed removing it was so gross. BUT you wouldnt have to worry about bugs or anything because the airconditioning was so effective. i have stayed in many 5* hotels around the world when traveling with my parents and have to admit that this was great airconditioning. room with balcony is an overstatement, you get a porch type balcony but that wasnt a problem for us.

the toilet facilities by the main pool area were spotlessly cleaned twice a day, so dont be imagining a flea bitten dirty resort. to sum it up, i would say the resort needs a cash injection if it wants to continue being advertised as a 4* because although it has great potential (it really is a lovely resort, surounded in breath taking views and situated in an ideal locaion) it currently stands at a low 3* and should carry a warning of not being suited to disabled customers.

the entertainment is very amateure imagine butlins and take away any class that has but to be honest you're on holiday and up for a laugh so it didnt bother us. yes the all inclusive advertisement is a little misleading but hey vodka is one of the unlimitted spirits and with fanta orange you're away! AND steps + inedible food means a weight loosing holiday!! (another not great factor is the food does get a lot of flies on it :-s)

the staff are great if you are a beautiful young blond girl (which 2 of us were) but other than that, they didnt move the earth for you. if you need an extra blanket or pillow ask, they will bring it to you, and if they stare at you for asking for 2 plates of chips, stare back, they soon serve you!

we had a great holiday, LOVE gumbet, ADORE the shopping, wouldnt stay at the anka again but wouldnt deadly warn people against it. you get what you pay for people and yes in theory you could eat and drink all day long, there was enterainment, 2 nice pools, music in the day time and breath taking views. not bad when we paid £340 including flights for a week in september.

if you have any questions/worries about your holiday at the anka resort or even gumbet/bodrum email me, id be glad to help
SHAA64@AOL.COM

by the way you need an english £10 note to get into the country, payable at the airport when you arrive. (dont take a £20 you wont get change)

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2005

We booked a holiday to Anka Resort, Gumbet, through Vision Holidays, from teletext holidays website. We looked at there own website, and saw the Anka on there and thought, yeah this looks good and we got a could price for AI, so we booked it! Then we looked on this website at the reviews and thought OMG what have done! But then we compared these reviews to other hotels we had stayed in and thought they were ok, but the reviews did not reflect this so, we thought, right, we'll make up our own minds.
All in all, you get what you pay for! We got it cheap, so we really can't complain, but please don't expect 4*, by no means is this hotel 4*, more like 2*. Honestly, there are loads and loads of steps. The food is as others have described, very basic, there are flys all over it, you have to get there early to get anything half decent. The rooms are comfortable, but really in need of modernistation. The only TV channel for the English is BBC world. No kettle in room, so if you want tea/coffee, take your own kettle. Good Fridge though. Towels changed daily. The staff are helpful, but don't expect them to go out of there way for you, they don't.
The location, and the views are really the only plus side to this hotel, you can easliy catch the local bus (dolumus) into Gumbet or Bodrum for 1.5ytl they run 24 hours a day and are really frequent at all times we never had to wait more than 2-3 mintues for one.
If you want excellent night life and come back to quiet resort only 10 mins away, with an ok beach (concrete jetty) and can handle all the steps then this is the place for you!
If you want to know more, contact me, I will be happy to let you know about it.

6 Thank willow_snowmantle
Reviewed 13 September 2005

Before we left for our holiday we we're very worried after reading the previous reviews but on arriving we could not see what these people we're talking about.
The staff we're helpful and polite, the room and facilities we're clean and pleasant, the views were lovely and there was never more than three people cueing for drinks at one tjme.
The food could have been better, mainly cold and salad buffet with just a choice of five hot dishes. I personally quite enjoyed it but my girlfriends a bit of a fussy eater and didn't like much on a few evenings.
There were alot of steps so its not ideal for elderly people and the evening entertainment was not up to much, mainly because of all the different nationalities staying at the hotel. But overal i would recomend it as it was great value for money.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member