“Same hotle different name”
Review of Anka Hotel

Anka Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gumbet
Anka Hotel
Ranked #54 of 101 Hotels in Gumbet
Reviewed 6 June 2007

This hotel changed its name but not its standards, it has no visible fire fighting equipment and is still a 2* accommodation with substandard food and extremely small rooms and leaking shower trays with no beach to speak of.

Stayed: May 2007

Reviewed 27 September 2006

We booked this hotel in April this year fully aware that this was only a 2* hotel and with a good knowledge of turkish hotels (my husband is turkish!).
Dissapointment is not the word. We arrived after a 3 hour delay to be shown to a room that can only be described as thoroughly disgusting! The smell hit you as you entered the room, stale cigarette smoke. The room was filthy and totally neglected (i would have complained if the room was free!!)
We asked to be moved to another room and was put in a room under the swimming pool area. Everytime you came out the room to a smell of sewage. The first night my husband put his suitcase on the floor under the air conditioning unit and it leaked into his suitcase. We reported the fault but it was never fixed.
The food was repetative and fortunately i do not mind Turkish food.

The only drinks they served were cheap soft drink options and cheap beer and vodka, the wine was diluted with water and totally inconsumable!

However 2 days into our stay i suffered the most horrendous stomach ache and was very ill all night and unwell for the next 7 days. It can only have been food poisoning as i have never been ill in Turkey before and my husband was also ill after eating the same food as me.

The only consolation in all this is that the hotel has now closed down. In fact on the 4th day of our holiday whilst we were staying in it!!!

Thomas Cook dealed very efficiently with the situation and their customer servive was outstanding. We were moved to a lovely hotel called Sun Hill and enjoyed the remaining time in Gumbet.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 14 September 2006

Arrived at 6 am. There were Guests in reception who had been there since 11 the night before and had refused 3 rooms as sub-standard. Taken to our room. Stank like a blocked drain, sink smashed, toilet seat grimy and hanging on with a thread, fridge broken, no curtain over glass door, bed linen dirty and looked as though it had been slept in and to cap it all no balcony . NO way were we staying there. Management said they couldn't do anything til the rep came. Finally contacted rep who said couldnt do anything til 2:00pm , 8 hours later. Wasn't prepared to waste a day of our 7 day hol so left cases in the Anka excuse for a room and walked to Gumbet where we found a cracking hotel called the Ayaz Beach with a fantastic room and superb views. Negotiated half board for £120 each and it was well worth the money. Must have been 4 star quality, both room and food. Anyway back to the Anka to pick up our cases and we decided to risk breakfast which at first glance seemed OK , OK that is except for the hundreds of flies all over the food and the dirty tables. You'll always get flies when food is served outdoors but not this many unless there's a hygene problem. That was the last we saw of the Anka until we returned for our transfer back to the airport. Thank god we hadn't stayed there. This time the reception was literally packed with guests complaining about everything from filthy rooms to food poisoning to theft from rooms and on and on and on. To be fair I think in its day this hotel was probably brilliant its certainly run down now, everything from the rooms to the sunloungers was filthy. If your reading this before booking, one word, DON'T. If you've already booked you have my sympathy. All you can do is accept that you've paid a 2* price and you'll get a 2* hotel. OK 2* is pushing it , should be nearer 1*. Otherwise do what we did and get down the spotlessly clean Ayaz and enjoy the views , the food and the friendliness of the staff and you'll be delighted that you spent a few extra quid for the difference between a 1960's bultins holiday camp and 4* quality. Good luck

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2006

OMG where do i start?? this hotel is a complete and utter shambles. me, my family and my boyfriend booked in to stay at the anka resort for 2 weeks. we arrived at 5.00am on a monday morning, the staff took me to my room and it was like living in a squat! the lights didnt work, the showers were cold, the toilet seat was dirty and we were shoved up with the turks and they had dirty glasses a big dirty matress out side out room and a big light shining in to the window 24/7 it was room 922 if any bodys is unlucky enough to stay there. Any way we were moved rooms the day after and our room was a lot nicer. Except the fact that when the cleaner cleaned our room she didnt leave any sheets for us to sleep with nor any towels, and when we did fone reception up to ask them for some they totally ignored our request so we ended up going with out. A few days into the holiday and my step dad slipped on a wet floor and fell down 12 marble stairs and injured all his back! The staff are not friendly and the staff are definatly not helpful! when we went to get a glass of orange we found a piece of chewing gum stuck to the bottom of the cup! The food is the same every day and its all turkish, i mean why let english people stay at your hotel if u dont cater for them?!! we ate out every night which cost us a fortune! some ALL INCLUSIVE!And to top the whole holiday off, on our last day my 10 year old brother tripped over a loose wire on the steps and smashed it head on the step infront and ended up in hospital for 5 hours getting his head stitched up, 7 stitches!!! we wernt sure if we were able to fly the next day but luckily we were! Trust me if u have booked your holiday to stay at the anka resort i advise you to swap it as quick as possible!!!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Maxine06
Reviewed 26 July 2006

I really did dread getting to the hotel after reading the reviews on this site. Was really happy after though. The hotel was spotless, and the staff were friendly (God only knows how as they work 20 hour shifts). The rooms were lovely and so was the hotel facilities. Myself and my girlfriend loved our stay. It was our first holiday together, and we coouldn't of asked for a better one. The food was nice. It did get a little repetative, but i think you find that alot when you go somewhere that serves buffet style meals, especially after two weeks. In my opinion, this holiday is great for people of all ages. young groups have a relaxed atmosphere during the day, and good access to the main nightlife. Couples looking for a peaceful escape can enjoy the hotels isolated situation between gumbet and bodrum town.

Don't worry if you have read a bad review.
They don't relfect the hotel at all.
Maybe the steps bit...
lol

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank iROK
A TripAdvisor Member
Weymouth Dorset
Reviewed 22 November 2005

I have been on holiday to all the main places a young english tourist would (ibiza, crete, tenerife, to name a few), but this absolutly topped the lot. After I had booked my holiday to Anka, I came to this web page and read to first review...the bad one. I was soooo scared that my holiday was going to be pants that I went in and tried to change it... boy am I glad that I wasn't able to! From beginning to end everything was just as I had expected and more. The Hotel was beautiful, the staff as friendly as I had ever met, the food yummy and moreish, and the drinks as you would expect from a local variety. Our room was cleaned every morning by a lovley maid who even did artwork with the towels! mealtimes were a dream with 4 choices of main meal, 35 choices of salad, and 8 different desserts. I thought I would get as fat as a pig, but with all that salad and hundreds of steps to contend with everyday.. I came back lighter than when I went! Our hotel was out of the way of all the hustle and bustle so had beautiful views from the hotl... but when that got boring we just jumped on a mini bus outside the hotel to go to gumbet or bodrum..which only cost 60p!!! We went into gumbet central and found that if we bartered with travel agents we could even get 3 tour packages for the price of 1!!! So that meant for £5 we were took to an old turkish market (absolutly massive), an old Turkish village tour, where you got to see old traditions, and carpet making and pot making.. etc, and a boat tour (with lunch included)which even took us as far as greece!!! And yes that was for £5 of my english pounds.. with as much apple tea as one can drink! In the eveings the town centres turned into something like Ibiza after dark. Loads of clubs to choose from, with loads of offers. We were a bit worried about getting a taxi... but no, the minibusses run 24 hours!! so 60p to get back. Again though, as the hotel is out of the way, anayone who doesn't like that sort of thing can bypass it. Myself and my friend loved it here so much we are planning on moving out here. I had the time of my life! (oh and the brochure I looked at did in fact tell me that this hotel had a lot of steps).

• Stayed: October 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 October 2005

hello all
this was the first holiday abroud with my girlfriend.
this hotel was amazing very freindly staff and the food was great lots of choice.
the bus service there is A1 24/7 and very cheap.
we could learn alot from that.
we are at the moment looking to book up there again for two weeks instead off one this time.
gumbet is very friendly at night and a great laugh but bodrum felt the oposite but in the day bodrum is well recomended.
the only thing i would recomend you dont do is you dont book with deture as we where nearly stuck there with no return tickets.
overall very good holiday