“La Rosa”
Review of Hotel La Rosa

Hotel La Rosa
Ranked #27 of 101 Hotels in Gumbet
Reviewed 31 March 2009

For a three star hotel it is a fantastic place for couples, the staff are great, the location of the hotel at first glance is not so good being quite far back in the resort and up a hill but it is just off the main road giving access to all the public transport you would ever need, we used this to our advantage and were able to visit all over the peninsula, we went b&b which was fine but we used the hotel restaurant for dinner quite often as their menu was great as was the food. La Rosa is a lovely little hotel with a nice clean and fresh feel, a spotless pool and an excellent bar, would I go back or recommend it to a friend YES

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flagstare

Reviewed 10 October 2008

Hotel La Rosa ... Ok ... here goes ... on arrival at the hotel (grumpy after a 10 hour delay) we were pleasantly surprised, the whole appearance of the hotel was very very nice and we found the reception staff equally friendly and helpful, it was only 7.00 am in the morning, however we were shown to our room immediately and without any hassle.

The room, well this was slightly disappointing, it was clean enough I suppose, although the blankets covering the sheets had some rather suspicious looking marks on them and under the beds could have done with a good clean! Overall the room was rather small, but hey you’re only sleeping, showering and getting ready there, so it wasn’t a big deal, we just removed the blankets!

There also seemed to be a problem with the water, in that some days there wasn’t any! A trip down to reception and 40 minutes later the water was fixed, not so good if your in a hurry though – i.e. going on a boat trip and getting picked up at a certain time!

The location of the hotel we found quite handy, it’s a bit out of the way, probably 10 minutes or so walk (15 in heels) to Gumbet’s infamous Bar Street, however the hotel is situated just of the main Gumbet to Bodrum motorway, granted you have to climb a rather steep hill to get to the motorway, but it’s very convenient, as the dolmuses pass every other minute and give you a “wee toot” to see if you want them to stop, its 2 Lira into Bodrum Central (Bus Station).

Also just a 5 minute walk down the motorway (on the pavement of course) is a Shopping Mall ... a proper Shopping Mall ... its called The Oasis Shopping Mall ... here you will find proper shops, with genuine products ... and everything has a price tag ... so no haggling! As a shop-alcoholic, I found the Oasis very good, it had a range of designer boutiques and also middle of the range priced shops too ... we went the last 2 weeks in September and as the end of season was fast approaching, most of the shops had there sales on, I got quite a few bargains.

The grounds surrounding the La Rosa are quite stunning, day and night. To the front there are lovely landscaped gardens and around the pool area there are water fountains and wishing wells, it’s really well thought out, there are also giant bean bags as well as the traditional sun loungers ... the bean bags are so comfy!

The bar area is just as nice, it has a very traditional yet modern feel about it. Although I will say the pricing is exceptionally high! 10 Lira for a Bacardi & Coke ... so depending on the rate that’s almost £5 for a single shot of Bacardi and a dash of coke!

And beware, the bar area has no till, everything you order is added to your tab, you can pay your tab daily, but check that the items on your tab actually belong to you. Once on our tab we had someone else’s dinner added to our bill, it was quickly resolved though.

The cleaner came everyday, and everyday she gave my husband a new Turkish word to learn ... Morababa ... hello – I think! She was very nice. 2 mornings I wasn’t feeling well and said not to bother cleaning our room as I was still in bed, when she saw us later that day she came and asked if I was ok ... she was really friendly, although some days I wondered what she had actually done!

A draw back of the La Rosa is the Mosque, which is located right next to La Rosa ... it was nearing the end of Ramadan and at approx 6 every morning (Sunrise) the men are called to prayer ... they are called several times during the day also, which wasn’t a problem, but the early morning call got a bit of a pain ... bring earplugs ... I did, it didn’t bother me, I slept right through it, but my husband was woken most days.

The Hotel offers a set menu every evening ... this cost 18 Lira, and includes Bruschetta, Soup, a main meal ... maybe chicken cordon bleu or a beef casserole etc, a Turkish Dessert and either a Turkish Tea or an Apple Tea ... go for the Apple Tea ... trust me! We ate at the hotel 3 nights out of 14, the food was very nice, and the wine – Aspendos (35 liras a bottle) was also very nice. (although you could buy this in a supermarket for 5 Lira)

We ate at the pool most days, (the chip butties are ace – its like a half a loaf of bread stuffed with a load of chips) but just down the road from the La Rosa (on the opposite side) is a lovely little bakers, which sells mini pizza and cheese pasties etc, plus lots of little cakes and at a fraction of the price the hotel charges. Although you’re not allowed to bring food or drink into the hotel, this is strictly prohibited. Just eat your goodies on the way back up to the hotel ... that what we did! Although we brought bottles of water in, not in full view, but not totally hidden either and nothing was said ...

Moving on to Gumbet itself! Oh dear ... there is only so many times you can say No Thank You without losing your temper ... it’s a nightmare, so much for the Turkish Government cracking down on this! That just wasn’t the case at all. And if you say no thank you and you are clear annoyed by there constant pressure to get you in their shop/ bar / restaurant, they turn rather nasty.

Our saving grace was a lovely restaurant called Annalivia ... its not a restaurant you would normally walk past as its around a corner a little bit, but we were recommended this by a couple we met at the La Rosa. In the main Bar Street in Gumbet, you will find the Windmill Bar/Restaurant and directly opposite (180 degrees) you will find the Annalivia, its next to Murphy’s Irish Bar. They also run a free taxi service from your hotel to the restaurant. The food is amazing, the best we found by far, in both Gumbet & Bodrum, I would definitely recommend the Annalivia.

Bodrum is a nicer resort than Gumbet ... the shopping is better and so are the bars ... there is a lovely cantina place, recommended by The Rough Guide ... I'm not sure what its called, but its the kinda of place you happen to stumble across ... its up an alley on the opposite side of the road from a clothing shop called Ambar, just about 2 or 3 minutes walk down from the bus station ...

Overall, we had a good holiday, the weather was great, the hotel was great, the food, well, we’ve had better. Would we go back? Probably not, Turkey is not “Cheap as Chips” anymore, £4.50 for a half pint of Cider, sorry ... that’s outrageous in comparison to what we pay here - £1.30 approx ... I just wouldn’t pay it, Turkey is very expensive now and everyone we met said the same, there is no need for them to be charging these prices, and they’ll just end up ruining it for themselves.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kasarami
Reviewed 6 October 2008

Arrived at hotel around about midnight. Check in was smooth, had to leave passport til the next day. Paid for aircon, £3.00 per day and also safety deposit box, about £20 for the week, can't quite remember. The bar was still open but didn't have that great a choice and no beer on draft only cans or bottles which were overpriced.

To give an idea on an average day late on in the season the bar alone averaged 1200 lira per day approx £600.00. Their prices are hiked up but it is a pleasant place to sit and enjoy a few all the same.

Our room was 209 right in the corner of the main building. The room wasn't too clean as in the skirting boards were dirty and under the bed hadn't seen a brush and pan for a while. The bedding was clean as were the towels although there were some dubious stains on them.
Speaking of towels they are only changed on a Mon and Thur. We arrived on the Mon and they thought it was acceptable to only give us clean towels once on the Thur. I complained and got clean ones finally on the Monday we left! Not too nice.

The water pressure was pittiful in the shower and a few mornings there wasn't enough pressure to flush the toilet. The water was cold after 7pm too.

The restaurant in the hotel served nice food and the two waiters were good. Again, priced slightly adventurously but if you can't be bothered to go out its the price you pay.

The resort of Gumbet is a 15 min walk down a steep hill for half of it. Its rather dark and secluded at night so we took a taxi back on an evening, cost about 10 lira (5 quid).

We weren't that impressed with the resort, bit dated and would be better if there was a bit more authenticity about it, very much geared to the Brittish pub crawl market.

We kept our room on until 8pm the day we left. Word of warning, pass the additional charge of £15.00 in sterling rather than in lira, in lira it works out as 37.50 which is about £18.00...

Don't exchabge money at the hotel. Go into the shops in the main resort and change it there, most of them do not charge commission.

If anyone has any questions I'd be glad to help. Please email me.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2008

Firstly I must say that some people seem to lose sight of how much we actually pay for hotels abroad. We booked two weeks before departure and paid £95 each half board for the week. Thats £13 per night dinner bed and breakfast!! Okay the breakfast was the same every morning and certainly wasn't a full english but if you wanted that, the restaurants in Gumbet offered it for around £3. The evening meal was adequate and for the price was really good.

Hotel room was basic but clean and the shower was powerfull and there was never a problem with hot water (not that you would have wanted hot water with temperatures in the 40's!!). The pool area was particularly nice and very well maintained, the lounging cushions come highly recommended. As for the prices at the bar, well yes you could get cheaper in Gumbet but a large beer was about £2 so still quite a bit cheaper than in the UK.

Gumbet itself is definately for the younger crowd but as the hotel is set around 10 minutes walk from the centre there isn't any problem with the noise. For the people complaining about the hill on the way back to the hotel, you're on holiday so either take your time or get a taxi!!!

The hotel is certainly one for families or couples.

For the money I doubt you would find a better place in Gumbet. If you want 5 star luxury you don't pay £13 a night!!!

Highly recommended

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2008

My boyfriend and I had a really great time in our two week stay in the La Rosa Hotel in Gumbet! The staff were really friendly and helpful and the hotel was always spotless. There was a lovely pool area with plenty of sun loungers and cushions (no queuing at 3 in the morning to put the towels out!). The food was great too and not too pricey compared to restaurants on bar street.

It's about 10 mins walk away from the main bar street area of Gumbet so we were far enough away to be out of the noise of the bars and restaurants but close enough to walk in for a meal and some drinks in the evening. It was at the top of a steep hill though! But you can get a taxi into bar street for about 5 Lira (£2) and there's a button to call a taxi in the entrance to the hotel, a taxi arrives in about 5 mins. It's a great place if your looking for a family holiday or in a couple. Special thanks to Alison and Harry for their advise! Don't book trips through the rep, pricey!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2008

My friend and I chose this hotel based on the good reviews we'd seen on this site. We needed a hotel in Gumbet as were visiting my sister who is working there for the summer, and wanted somewhere that was slightly away from the main bars (we're obviously getting old!) The hotel was very nice, rooms basic but clean, and ours was a decent size. Air con was about £3 per day which we paid at the start and was essentially particularly if you go in August like we did as it's one of the hottest months. The pool was lovely and clean and the bar area nice. We only had breakfast there as chose to eat in the town each night with my sister; breakfast was basic but adequate. As other reviews state, it is up a hill and a 10-15 walk from town but this didn't bother us at all as we liked the walk and enjoy the exercise. If you wanted though you can get a cab which we did do once or twice after a couple of drinks (!) and this cost us 5 lira. Only criticism of hotel is that they told us off for bringing our own water into the pool area, but I must admit we did carry on doing it anyway and snuck it in in our bags - I could get a 1.5 litre bottle in the nearby shop for the same price they charged for a little 0.5 one at the bar. I drink a lot of water and even more so in the heat, so I wasn't going to let them tell me I couldn't I'm afraid!
Overall though lovely holiday and would go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2008

my girlfriend and me noted this place on this site so tried it.the reviews were right its a smashing hotel.being a smallish place it is well managed and personal.the place is neat and tidy with a very polite and freindly staff team.
i got talking to the 2 owners too who are always hanging around and dining there.
you have to pay 3 qiud as night for the air can which is vital in these basic but clean rooms.i recommend the half board as its about 40 quid a week extra but a fine food yet limited in variety,but still,a 5 course a la carte menu.
the pool area is great,spacious,clean,classy.i did complain about the loud throbbing rap music which was annoying and it was sorted.seems the bar man got a bit carried away and forgot the punters .
a good hotel for couples.a bit out of the way but a 15 min walk is no problem.
keep a check of what you buy from the bar etc though as you settle up at reception the next day and sometimes get it wrong(mistake i hope !)

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple