“Not a bad hotel for youngsters who are out to party”

Peda Gumbet Holiday Beach
Ranked #16 of 28 Speciality Lodging in Gumbet
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Not a bad hotel for youngsters who are out to party”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The hotel is huge and contains a swimming pool which is packed most the time. There are loads of sunbeds but they get taken very quickly. Some even reserve them from the night before by leaving their towel on it. Its not the ideal hotel for older people and people with knee problems or walking problems as there is just too many steps. The food is not the best as you get the same food every single day with only minor changes that are hard to spot. The rooms are of a decent size but my fridge did not work which was a major problem in 34 degrees. I also had to get a safe from a different room as they couldn't find the key for mine. 2 keys that is. Quite a good hotel for those who just want to use the swimming pool and are out a lot of the time partying and just need a bed and shower. The hotel is on a hill so if you plan to walk to all the shops and bars it will be a struggle for older people and its approximately a 15-20min, but you could catch a taxi or a bus. If you plan to take part in any activities its better to walk into the centre and book an activity rather than with your rep as they will charge you much more. They also have a Turkish bath which is available at the hotel and is supposed to great. Overall its a decent hotel but if you don't like walking up and down hundreds of stairs then this hotel is definitely not for you.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank zzzillionaire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Just arrived home from the hell hole that is the PEDA Gumbet Holiday Beach Hotel. I wasn't expecting a palace but it was more like a prison camp. Paid for All Inclusive, what a joke. Ended up clearing out my bank account going out all of the time as the food was inedible and the drinks were a joke.

You had to queue up for a drink and were only allowed two per person per trip to the bar. The (filthy) little cups they served the drink in were so small, two would not have filled a half pint glass. The other guests were mainly from Eastern Europe and would drink the greasy muscle paralysing vodka all day long leading to a lot of extremely drunk adults falling all over the place by lunch time.

The pool area was extremely overcrowded and the sun beds were all reserved before 7am, some left their towels there overnight. No lifeguard and the little slide only opened for half an hour at a time, usually when there was an organised water polo match right next to it. Day time activities consisted of group singing and action dances around the edge of the pool or the classic 'throw a spoon into the pool and a load of drunk guests dive in to retrieve it' to get the prize of a free cocktail (at 11am)! Very noisy techno music played all day and the odd half a tonne cement planter fell over as you walked past.

Tiny 'beach' area with another part that you could go in as long as you paid 10 lira per person and bought all of your drinks. Advertises its own beach but to get to it you have to go down 121 steps and through another hotel.

Evening entertainment was a joke. Didn't start until about 10.45pm and the free bar finished at 11pm. Time you queued up for a drink you'd have to join the back of the queue to get another by the time you'd finished your first drink. All they served was watered down Efes, greasy vodka, foul gin or cheap white or red wine. Fine for the Russian super drinkers or the Polish friends of the guests who were bunking in and living it up at our expense.

Didn't see any meat any time I went to the restaurant apart from chicken stew that was mainly chicken fat and bones. When I complained was told 'this is how it is, get on with it'. In fact, the reception staff didn't speak much more English than that (apart from 'No').

Our family 'suite' was filthy, cramped, smelly and unsafe. Would have been better off getting banged up for two weeks, would have felt safer! Strange things would go missing from our (locked) room while we were out like TV remote and shampoo. Called reception at night to complain about noisy guests and they put the phone down, charming! Next day our door was vandalised and never cleaned up.

Not an experience to be repeated. DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL!

Room Tip: Book another Hotel!
3 Thank KerryStubbs

Travellers are raving about these Gumbet hotels

Ayr, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

This hotel was sold to us as a 4 star hotel but the very basic rooms, hundreds of steps to get to beach or pool and the entertainment which is all aimed at eastern europeans causes me to rate this as a very poor 2 star.
We ran out of toilet paper and it took 38 hours, 3 trips up to reception and 4 phone calls to get some and even then it was another family that gave us one. we had a problem with the toilet door locking from the inside when the door was shut (Twice in two days) first time the handy man took three hours to come and see us, he changed the handle which fell off twenty minutes later. The second time and it took me to threaten the very rude man at reception that I would take my five year old up to reception and let him do the toilet on his desk for him to send a waitor down to our room at 3 in the morning and smash the handle off the door.
The bed sheets were never changed and two single sheets spread over the double bed made it very uncomfortable especially when hot and restless. The room floor and toilet was not clean, the shower was covered in mould and the plastic shower unit was all buckled out of shape and leaked everywhere.
We booked a family suite which comprised of a double bed, single bed and a knackered old fold up bed all in the one room made it quite cramped and with no privacy. The blocks are so close to each other that if you are unfortunate to have one of the upper blocks near the dining room and pool your balcony looks straight into the block below you.
The all inclusive bar comprised of local Vodka, Gin, White & Red wine and Efes beers all served in plastic glasses which also get used as ashtrays by some guests. The soft drinks are pepsi, fanta or sprite or fruit juices (lemon, grape, strawberry, pineapple and peach) which are served from dispenser which are never cleaned and just topped up with syrup concentrate and water, the cold water dispenser was warm all the time.
The food was all aimed at the local and eastern europeans with salad and stewed vegetables the main thing for all meals. Very little meat was ever served and if it was, the very lucky (or ignorant) few who pushed in to the front of the queue hoovered it all up and the chips were soggy and horrible. I ended up spending a lot of money which should have been for excursions and shopping just trying to give my family a decent meal each day.

I could go on all day. I keep telling everyone that asks about my holiday that we made the most of a very bad scenario and I am describing it as a 70s butlins-like camp for rude and impatient russians, ukranians, polish and turkish holiday makers.

I would advice all english speaking people to avoid.

Room Tip: dont bother
1 Thank John B
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Took my 14 year old daughter her 15 year old friends and my 16 year old niece was worried to say the least but it was great hotel staff looked out for them they all ate yes picky teanagers plenty of choice nice rooms But lots of steps it was so bad im taking my husband to this hotel in October hope it is as good a second time

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank jin64
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed a day and half before we got transfered.
As soon as you opened the door all you could smell was the mould. I am an asthmatic and the smell irritated my chest I had to use my inhaler more times than I usually do that night. There is mould under the window. When you opened the cupboards, they smelt of sick and were sticky inside. You could not use the wardrobe because there were no hangers to hang you clothes.
As for putting clothes in there anyway, we couldn’t because the smell from the wardrobe was horrendous so we kept the doors shut.
There was mould in the shower and the toilet was full of brown stains and no holder to put the toilet paper on.
All-inclusive if you are eastern european. Only drinks that are free are beer, gin, vodka and soft drinks. You had to pay for fresh orange. No snacks inbetween main meals. Dinning area was a free for all. More like a rugby match!. Food is not lablled. If there was any food on the dinning tables, staff would just brush it on the floor. The table clothes weren't even changed. We arrived very early Tuesday morning, Air-con didn't work, so we had to sleep with the window open. I didn't sleep, in fear of someone getting in the room. Everywhere you walked you had to climb stairs. I believe there were more stairs there than the Eifel Tower! The beach was a joke. It was only created due to the natural errosion by the sea. Even then I believe it was only big enough for 8 sun beds.
When we sat down to eat our meal, people got up and walked away and sat at another table. The whole time we stayed there, we were not felt welcome at all. We felt intimated and alienated by the other holidaymakers.
There is alot more I could wite, but I would only be repeating what other people have said.
DON'T STAY HERE. STAY AWAY!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lampshade1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed a week in this hotel and the family room we got was terrible.We had to put up with cracked shower tray,broken shower door broken toilet sit cracked tiles in the shower room and so water leaking from every where.The room was terrible with light fittings nearly hanging off the wall.Bedsheets too small to fit on doulble bed.Matress thin and very uncomfortable with noisy springs.and broken legs.The wardrobe cupboards were painted and falling apart with a broken safebox so nowhere to store your valubles.When requested for a safebox they wanted £15.for it.Staff at the reception hardly spoke English and very argumentative when complained.
This hotel is full of Eastern Europeans and teenagers so got very noisy and boozy and became very noisy with doors slamming in the middle of the night.HUNDREADS OF STEPS TO CLIMB AND NO LIFTS.Rubbish management but waiters worked hard.PLEASE AVOID THIS HOTEL

Room Tip: If you are going to this terrible hotel choose the sea facing rooms
3 Thank JOE C
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Just don't stay here. I cannot think of one good yet alone decent thing about this poohole! I was due to stay for 11 nights and only lasted 4!! Jut steer clear!!! The one meal eaten there made us poorly, dry blood and sick down my bed on arrival and still there after we left! The staff are rude, make you feel like you are the lowest of low. I could ramble on and on but I'm pretty sure you will get the picture! This place needs closing down! It's one big health and safety hazard! Also all of the English people were put in the worst rooms in a row so we were 'out of the way'.

• Stayed July 2013