“Beautiful hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #58 of 98 Hotels in Gumbet
London, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed at Bodrium hotel and spa for 3 nights and booked this hotel for the remaining days of the holiday. However was worried about the negative reviews of this hotel but was pleasantly surprised!

We booked an all inclusive with sea view we was on the 5th floor. Room itself was ok bit dated but we had a beautiful view of the sea. Was noisy at times as we was directly beneath the pool but didn't mind so much.

Positive: all inclusive menu: :))

Breakfast 7.30 - 10am was lovely - omelettes or fried eggs and pancakes cooked freshly by the chef each morning. Buffet of salads, breads, cereals, fruits etc.

Lunch 12 - 2pm - buffet full of salads, Turkish dishes etc

Afternoon snack service 12.30 - 4pm served by the pool - hamburgers, chips, pasta etc

Afternoon tea service 5 - 6pm - sweet Turkish treats n tea by the pool

Dinner 7pm - 9pm - Buffet with an outdoor BBQ (I had chicken one night which was delicious and tuna which was freshly carved up in front of us!)

Pool was lovely very lively with loud music and there was an entertainment dude who did try so hard bless him people just ignored him. Towels were provided.

Hotel also offers a free shuttle to bitez beach which was only a 10 min drive and all inclusive for sun beds, snacks and soft drinks available! bonus!

Me and my boyfriend had a 60 min massage each followed by a sauna and Turkish bath. The Bali gals was amazing I was so relaxed I had a foot massage the next day. The prices were cheap too!

Negatives:

Receptionists - they speak very little English and some we're rude. We asked to have a late checkout as our flight wasn't till 10pm and was told we have to wait for confirmation. We asked different receptionists to find them very unhelpful and to be honest didn't really care. We gave up in the end as we just didn't get anywhere. It's a shame because the hotel itself was lovely.

Animation - I think they meant to call this entertainment this was after dinner entertainment for the kids and guests. This was extremely boring and to be honest it was a waste of time as u would of preferred to have music and a drink looking at the breath taking night views.

Wifi - this seemed to be very flaky I think one day we didn't even get a signal and it just cuts you of after a certain time when you do connect!

Overall had a pleasant experience food was ok, spa was amazing, definitely go for all inclusive and get a sea room with a high floor then u won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: All inclusive sea view room on a high floor!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank May C
GuestServicesArena, Konuk İlişkileri Müdürü at Royal Arena Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time in sharing the nice and extensive review of your stay. We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed it all and would definitely would love to welcome you again during the season also, so that you can have a taste of all our offerings.

Warm Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

After reading reviews here, i was expecting much worse from Royal Arena.
This was my 6th trip to Turkey during last 10 years, and i have learned that you can never expect Hotel standards that you see in Europe or even Thailand or Malaysia.
According to Turkey standard Royal Arena can easily get a 5 star (except for rooms), comparing to 4 star hotels that i've experienced in Turkey even in Gumbet itself.

Pros:
- Astonishing views from lobby, pool area and few rooms.
- Good food with plenty of choices. We were a group of 6, with one vegetarian and one small kid, and there was always plenty of choices for all of us.
- Kind and hardworking staff. Some if them we noticed were there 16 hrs/day. Always ready to help with a smile. Restaurant staff, pool staff, etc... I noticed some supervisors in restaurant and pool area who were there supervising most of the time.
- Very convenient location with easy access to almost everything, with few minutes walk or for further destinations dolmush was passing every 5 min right outside. Also there was a supermarket and a nice cafe across the street.
- Animation team were good, though music sometimes was too loud but overall it was good. I liked aqua gym with Fatih very much. Some of them who knew english would come to you to offer tours but a simple no would work and never bother again.
- Price was much lower than other similar options in all Bodrum area.
- They found and sent back my camera which i noticed i left in the room after 1 week :)

Cons:
- Rooms were noway a 5 star, even with turkish standard. Some rooms don't even gave any windows! We were lucky to have a small room with a nice balcony, no views though. #4408.
Bathroom tiles were broken in some places and sheets were quite old. Cleaning was not bad but noway a 5 star standard.
- None of the staff even reception staff knew english! We learned to communicate with them through few turkish words and some body language. It worked quite well and all the staff were extremely helpful.
- We were told that this hotel has a private beach with shuttle service few minutes away. But there was NO PRIVATE BEACH. Hotel has free shuttle to Bitez beach near by which was very crowded. There is a restaurant there that Royal Arena guests can get some food and non alcoholic drinks for free. I was disappointed cuz i was expecting a much less crowded private beach area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony and in higher floors.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Primavera747
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your mood enlightening review! We will be very much looking forward to welcoming you back again in our peaceful hotel :)

Warm regards.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Having stayed in the hotel for 7 days experinced the worse holiday of our entire life. The first day the entertainment guys forced us to buy trips and tour tickets. When we said we dont want to buy any, then they turned nasty and grumpy against us until the end of the holiday. When we asked for the hotel manager we were never able to reach him. The reception was a bunch of hopless people. Mangement was terrible. The so called breakfast? No way!. We had to go out every single day both for dining and beach! Terrible !!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Sally T

Travellers are raving about these Gumbet hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I just come home from this vacation :(( I wish I had a more time off but I had a great time . The staff where wonderful they couldn't do enough to help especially Mr.Goran . You can see the sea from some rooms and can feel the fresh air :) The hotel was lovely and clean. The food was so delicious. Finally, Mr.Goran he has a such a sense of humor and always big smile on his face, helpful all the time.I do not know how many times I asked questions and he never said NO or I do not know. He gave me all the answers and the directions that I needed that moment. He know all Bodrum and which place needs to go or not, which club or bar or etc. I m sending to him five stars and thanks. :))

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Sally T
GuestServicesArena, Konuk İlişkileri Müdürü at Royal Arena Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2014

Ankara, Turkey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

If you like a lot of NOISE this is an ideal hotel. It was the worst 5* hotel holiday we ever had.

HOTEL: Not a lot of space around the swimming pool and a lot of noise (DJ, animation team). The food was very nice but the waiters are unexperienced and there is a lack of supervision, same for the (pool) bar.

Some details: rusty dustbin in our room (5* hotel?), mirror and glass from shower not cleaned well upon arrival and during our stay (11 days!), bad coffee, no or only one or two kinds of brown bread, beer served in soft drink glasses because not enough beer glasses, once even in plastic soft drink glasses (at an evening party!), sunbeds: nice design but not comfortable.

BEACH: Very nice beach. Free service from and to hotel, but last service back to the hotel was at 17.15 hours (so we walked back in the evening). Food: choice between (bad!) burgers, spaghetti with cream, "pide" (pita bread) and green salad. Same menu every day. Free drinks (alcoholic drinks not included) only until 17.00 hours (All inclusive???). Bad service: waiters forget drinks and food orders, happened almost every day.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LucBuseyne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel last week and returned home today. I think other people must have stayed at a different hotel! The hotel is a Turkish 5*, if you've been to Turkey before you will understand that they're ratings are not the same as ours. I would say it's more an English 4* only due to a few minor things. We have stayed in Turkey twice before and thought we were booking a 4* only to turn up to horrific hotels not worthy of any stars so this hotel was a pleasant surprise. We made sure we booked a sea view room and it said this on our booking confirmation. When we arrived at 2am we were welcomed and shown to our sea view room, no hassle at all. I think people book 'promo rooms' or they don't specify. We paid an extra £280 for our sea view room when we booked it so it's quite annoying that people are complaining about paying £100 for a room upgrade; count yourselves lucky, you saved yourself money! We had a terrace leading from our room that we shared with about 6 other rooms and a private bit with chairs and table and a sun lounger. The view was amazing! You will not find a hotel with a better view in gumbet or bodrum! The room was lovely and very clean, a lot more modern that MANY other hotels in Turkey and the surrounding area. There was a few things you could pick with the bathroom such as a few marks around the bath but I was happy with having a HUGE bath tub and a shower. The wifi worked perfectly fine in our room, on the terrace and in reception. I don't see why other people are complaining. It is a bit slow but I used it for what's app and it worked perfectly fine. I don't see why people would want to spend their holiday on their phone anyway? There aren't enough sun beds around the pool and the staff should clear the tables away in the day to allow more room for sun beds, however the pool area and the pool itself was lovely and again THE VIEW IS AMAZING. There are always people cleaning around the pool area and sweeping away the water and also round reception and the front of the hotel. We used the spa pool a few times and although it is VERY cold it was always empty and it's refreshing in the heat. I had a massage and the girl was very good. My boyfriend had his hair cut in the hairdressers and the man who did it did a good job too. The reception is amazing and again THE VIEW!! We found all the staff to be lovely and polite except for the bar staff. I think it's something to do I with them working ALL DAY in the heat, however you pay to stay there they should be more polite. There was music being played around the pool all day but we did not find it to be too loud as others have stated. We did not have any problems with staff not understanding us, they all speak reasonable English. We learnt a few phrases in Turkish, such as thank you, and it is really appreciated. They're usually very surprised you know Turkish so that says a lot! The staff in the lobby and the lobby bar are very nice and especially the girl who works in the lobby bar (didn't catch her name). We only ate at the hotel twice as we had took money to eat out. They're are so many cheap and very nice restaurants to eat at in turkey that it's a waste to eat in the hotel all the time. If you don't take a lot of spending money you won't have trouble eating as there is food all day. After lunch they serve burgers straight from the BBQ and Turkish pizza freshly made in front of you which was very nice. We ate lunch one day which wasn't very nice, however my boyfriend had dinner there from the BBQ and the meat smelt and looked amazing and he said it was very nice. Don't expect English food, you're not in England. If your not fussy you will always find something to eat. The staff in the restaurant are lovely and serve you water as soon as you sit down and bring you your drinks. I haven't had this before in an all inclusive hotel. If you are polite to the staff they will be polite back. The all inclusive stops at 11 however we have not stayed in any all inclusive hotel that serves food and alcohol 24 hours a day so didn't see this as a problem. It does state this when you book the hotel so I don't see why people are surprised. This is the only hotel I've stayed in also were you can visit the beach and use your all inclusive there. The hotel shuttle runs every hour to the beach and it's 5 minutes down the road. One thing I would say is do not go on the bar crawl. We paid 10 lira each and as soon as we got there we did not see mr google again. We left and did our own thing and got a taxi back. I'd say head down to bar street and visit the bars yourself and spend 15 lira getting a taxi back at the end of the night. Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel. Without a doubt it is Turkish 5* and I'd say in England it would be a 4*. Be polite to the staff and they will do the same and make sure you're booking says sea view room and ask for a high floor (4 or 5) when you check in. A few small things you could pick at but what's the point, your on holiday! Go and look at some of the other hotels and you'll appreciate this hotel a whole lot more! There are things people don't mention that make this hotel a good one such as no noise in the rooms from the hallways or other rooms, very, very clean, always someone cleaning around the pool and reception areas and we never ran out of hot water. There is also 24 hour room service and two bottles of water a day left for you. The hotel provides shaving kits, slippers, dressing gowns among many other things. The staff in the restaurant serve you water right away and bring you your drinks. Come here and do not expect the ritz and you will love it.

Room Tip: Make sure your booking says sea view room and ask for floor 4 or 5 and you won't be disappointed...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
2 Thank ShaunieShoo

england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

First of all, the hotel has a wonderful wiev. You can see the sea and some islands ftom the balcony and around the pool. Different and good food, besides the animation team was amazing... Especially Tansel, Fatih and the others. İ reccommend this hotel to eveyone...

• Stayed July 2014