“Holiday of a Lifetime”

Ranked #5 of 100 Hotels in Gumbet
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Holiday of a Lifetime”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We booked this holiday with huge expectations. Travelling as a large family group of 15. Our ages ranged from 6 years old through to 75. The occasion was my parents golden wedding anniversary. The family had been talking about doing this for years and the it was critical that everything was perfect. In fact we had been totally unaware of this resort until our Thomas Cook adviser gave us her personal recommendation. Backed with this we went ahead with the booking. Boy. Are we ever glad that we listened to her. We are all very seasoned travellers and, have taken holidays all over the world. Never did we think it possible we could go somewhere that would keep us all happy.
The resort property itself is not new. But don't let that put you off. it is very well maintained and is spotlessly clean. I did not even see a blown light bulb in any of the public areas throughout our stay. From the moment of our arrival it is quite apparent that the staff here are not just nice and helpful. Having spent considerable years in the hospitality industry during my life. I know you can't train people to behave this way,It has to be in their very nature to begin with. To find enough of these people to staff an entire hotel is the holy grail of the industry. This is the first time I have seen it accomplished from groundsman through to the head chef. Yes I met him too.
The main restaurant will put most cruise ships to shame. If you can't find something you like there at meal times I would be amazed. If you are that rare person. Never fear, there are at least three other themed restaurants open at lunch time that will offer you everything from a pizza through to specialist Turkish fare. These in the evening turn into a la carte themed restaurants. We tried all of these, each one was a special experience, and yet a totally different experience and style from the other. It is safe to say that each had a very individual personality. Remember also that this was always for a table of at least 15 of us. Try that at your local chain restaurant and see what happens!
The main restaurant was very aware of our group and had a table set for us at every meal sitting whether we turned up or not.
The pool area's are very well appointed. No shortage of sunbeds or shades that we could find. Towels are provided by the hotel and all you need to do is redeem your wet one for a dry one if you so wish and at the end of your pool day give your towels back and collect your cards. No need to take wet towels back to your room. Drinks from the bar were very good. All the wines were of more that acceptable quality, much better than anything any of us had experienced as part of an all inclusive previously. All were from the bottle and not on draught. Beer was high quality, Draught EFES and even Becks in the main bar. The pool bar and main bar both offered different cocktail lists and all packed a punch of their own. Spirits whilst being of local origin mostly were obviously premium local brands and exceptionally good. Even the brandy was more than drinkable. There were hosts of soft drinks and child cocktails for the kids. Tea's and various coffees were available everywhere.
We never had to worry about the children needing anything as they were welcomed by the staff at all the bars and restaurants and treated as guests in there own right. Never did any of the children approach any of us saying that they had not been given what they wanted or that anyone had not been nice to them.
The rooms are a little dated and worn but once again they are spotlessly clean and everything worked. Even the A/C was in good condition.
My brothers and I gave the tennis court an afternoon of use despite how hot it was. We were provided with good rackets and balls, the courts were well maintained, clear lines and and a taught net. A children's net was also provided for the kids as well as junior rackets.
The kids enjoyed a considerable amount of time on the beach side water slides. Only point of concern is the pool at the bottom of the slide is a bit small and shallow. A few people picked up minor injuries due to this. These all appear to have been adults so rule of thumb would be not suitable for those above a certain height.
This resort is billed as 24 hour all inclusive and as a family we put this to the test. I can confirm that there is somewhere to either eat or drink 24 hours a day. Not only that, but those other things that make your cost go up on holidays with children are all catered for. There is ice cream, snacks and drinks available all day long with no extra charges hidden within.
This is not a cheap bargin holiday. If that's what you are looking for you shouldn't be looking at this resort. If you want somewhere with luxury and exceptional service. At WOW Bodrum you really get what you have paid for and you won't need to pay out anything else. Once you check in. You will find it hard to find a reason to step out of the hotel until you check out. Would we return? We are already looking at dates.
The final icing on the cake was the the guy from guest relations coming to find us before the coach transfer arrived and personally seeing our group on it's way.

9 Thank IAN S
badeoral, Guest Relations Manager at WOW Bodrum Resort, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear our guest, First of all I would like to thank you for your lovely comments about our hotel. Your comments are great motivation for us to do even better, therefore I will pass on your message to all our staff. We will be glad to welcome you back once again at our hotel. Please feel free to contact me for any information you will need for your future vacations. Looking forward to seeing you very soon. Kind Regards, Bade badeoral@wowbodrum.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

A group of 14 people (Families) celebrating a 40th birthday decided to stay at this hotel as the reviews looked good.
Two members of our group e-mailed the hotel direct on numerous occasions, giving arrival dates and family names - explaining a group of 14 people were celebrating a 40th birthday and would it be possible for our rooms to be close together as we also had a blind man in our group and this would be much appreciated, we had NO REPLY to any of our e-mails from the hotel but was still hoping this would be arranged on our arrival - (silly us).

Our rooms were no where near each other, but after around half hour of pleading with reception (NOW MIDNIGHT) two of our five rooms were moved a bit closer - the rest of us were told to come back in two days as other guess were going home.
The rooms are very dated, basic and on the small side - reminded us of 1970's Butlins.

Some rooms have carpet, others tiled floor. The rooms with carpet had a slight ping pong with grubby stains, all our rooms come with a grubby stained pink settee. (no extra charge for stains) There is a Mini bar in the room and it is mini - 1 beer 1 lemonade 1 water, hit and miss when the bar is topped up.
We were told our room had a sea view??? If the wife stood on the balcony table and I got on her shoulders and she jumped up and down then I just might have a sea view, but we were only sleeping in the room and settled for what we had.
Don't bother with the Thomas Cook reps meeting as she (Lacie) was very repetitive, uninformative and clearly didn't know what she was doing unless you wanted to go on an excursion.
Book your excursions on the beach or in town as they offer all and more than Thomas Cook do but at a third of the price - plus you can haggle with the price.
Our group booked the five island boat trip on the beach with Peter Pan (Great guy dressed as a pirate) for £15 adult £7.50 child and it was fantastic (food & drink included - as much as you want) Water, Coke, Diet Coke, Lemonade, Fanta Orange/Lemon, Beer/Wine - Pasta, Rice - Spaghetti Bolognese, Chicken, Salad all included.

The animation did a good job both day and night - their day started just after 10am doing the hotel dance on the pool bridge and you could clearly see most of the girls didn't want to be there, the guy's appeared to put more effort into the animation,
Risa was an amazing guy doing his up-side down one handed breakdance and always smiling.
The bar staff were always helpful, (Osman) the evening pool bar waiter was a great guy and dont see thier families for months.
We went into Gunbet town one evening to have a meal and hit the bars - around £11/£11.50 for a beer and a brandy & coke in the OUTBACK BAR, gone are the days when Turkey was cheap - We did find cheaper bar but they didn't look as appealing, we found the better looking the bar the dearer the drinks.

Breakfast was ok - Bacon every other day - if you could be bothered to que up, Chef's making omlette's and the usual cheese & ham and olives, Beware of the fresh orange machine as this had us in fits of laughter watching people attempt to squeeze half cut oranges in return for a glass of orange juice - The thing is an animal, we see people coming away splattered with bits of orange all up thier face, others holding their knuckles.
Food in the main restaurant was always good, Alway's something for the kid's - This is the only holiday I can honestly say don't bother with the "a al carte" as the main restaurant was always better.
We found the best of the three a al carte's was the Turkish, then the Italian and the worst by far was the Mediterranean. (only because of a bad experience)

We booked 14 people for the Mediterranean to celebrate a 13th birthday - on entering the restaurant we were shown by the waitress (Arda) a glass fridge with four types of fish - Mackerel, Sea Bass, Sea Bream and Trout and was told in broken English every person must choose a fish for there dinner, we asked the waitress if they could do something different for some of the children but she just smiled like she had a bit of wind and walked away - not once were we shown a menu, this didn't really bother us as the kids were more than happy with popping to the main restaurant.
The dinners (fish) we ordered started coming out and they looked great, after 10 minutes of receiving our meals we were still waiting for my wife's and my son's meal (Trout and Sea Bream)??? we asked the waitress where they were and again the waitress (Arda) smiled like she had wind and walked off, I then asked a waiter (slim gent with long hair) if he could look into this for us - he came back with the waitress and explained she didn't understand us, they apologised and said they will sort it straight away (Great).
Two minutes later after our group had now finished eating the two said meals arrived - I had the job of de-boning my son's fish - after cutting into the fish you could clearly see blood and the fish needed more cooking, I took the fish up to the waiter and then on to the chef who then told me this was normal??? I'm no chef but I know this fish needed more cooking and this was no way normal.
With in a minute we were surrounded by chef's, waiters and waitresses (Intimidating) we then asked to see the manager as this was chaos and not the birthday celebration it should have been, we even paid 25 Euro for a birthday cake - the waitress (Arda) came over and said she was the manager and would deal with it, then the long haired waiter told us she was lying and wasn't a manager at all??? (confusing or what)

We spoke to our Thomas Cook rep (Lacie) the following day regarding this matter and she replied she cant get involved as it has nothing to do with her and to take it up with reception??? (I thought that's what reps were for)
Reception then passed us on to Guessed Relations who then apologised and said they could offer our group (14) a massage which was very nice but we had a boat trip booked so this wasn't possible, they then said is there anything else we could offer you - so we ask would it be possible to keep one of our five room's with late check out, they said not a problem but needed to ok it with the front desk manager (Serkan [--]) and to come back after 1700 in the day - We arrived later in the day and spoke to Front desk manager (Serkan [--]) only to be told come back in the morning at 0900 as he needed to speak with the restaurant manager, We went back again at 0900 only to be told to come back again later in the day - and yep we went back later in the day and again spoke with the front desk manager and again the same story, come back again 0900 in the morning - by this time I was getting pis#ed off - all we wanted was one room for our group of 14 for late check-out as this would be much appreciated as our blind friend was unable to use the public showers. We didn't think it was a lot to ask and if they could wave the 90 Euro charge it was a bonus.
We again went back on our last day to reception at their stated time on our holiday and bugger me the Front Desk Manager (Serkan [--] ) see us coming and muttered something in Turkish to his colleagues which must have been amusing as they were all laughing, then looked down his nose at us and told us he hasn't bothered talking to the restaurant manager regarding our issue and in a round about way told us that we were an inconvenience and to go away as we were making a scene.
With that our northern heavy duty Thomas Cook rep (Lacie) came waddling over and had the audacity to say she "ain't got a clue what's going on but could we take it away from reception as other guess are listening,- this is the same rep that should of got involved but didn't want to.
I explained to Lacie I use Thomas Cook three times a year and have done so for many many years and in the unlikely event I need a rep, never have they told me they are not prepared to assist me as its nothing to do with them - to this she replied "are you telling me I'm not doing my job properly" - I replied "it clearly speaks for it's self" and walked off.
Lacie (Thomas Cook Rep) then screamed at the top of her voice in reception in front of many guess that "Thomas Cook have now ended it's contract with our group and we're not welcome to travel with Thomas Cook again".
We are as a group taking matters further with Thomas Cook.

All in all, had a great holiday - I know it looks as all I've done is moan but Lacie is a big waste of space and i mean BIG - plus can't believe her cheek.

Our group all had a great week but came home with bad memories as it was sadly spoilt by our Thomas Cook rep (Lacie) and a rude stuck up manager (Serkan [--] ).

8 Thank Rebel-Jackson
badeoral, Guest Relations Manager at WOW Bodrum Resort, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear our guest, with regard to your room request for rooms next to each other or seaview, we are unable to give guarantee for such requests. We are sorry that 1 person's meal was not served to your satisfaction but we understand from the restaurant chef that this matter was resolved on the evening and you have completed your meals.We are at a loss to understand your referance to the offer of 14 free massages as we would not consider this to be an approprite response to a complaint about 1 unsatisfactorily cooked meal. Similiarly, we would not make any offers with regard to late check out as we are unable to guarantee late check out untill one day before the departure. We can not response on your comments in regard to Lacie as she is working for the tour operator not our hotel. Regards, Bade Oral
formby merseyside
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Did not get the wow when we walked in , but nice hotel, rooms bit tired but pictures up in lounge showing new rooms all getting refurbished, but hotel made up for that over next two weeks , reception staff could not do enough for you , same with staff overall, chefs in all food restraunts immaculately dressed ,as waiters . must have put a stone on, blame young lady in ice cream bar, if their would of been a shovel handy think she would of used that for dishing ice cream ,, although plenty of steps my wife had a accident last year , and cannot walk to far she used the lifts , so had no problem, few hotels we have been to we have used quite pools to get away from head banging disco music that nobody wants but for some reason do not complain about , but no problem here .one of the best 5 star all inclusive hotels we have been in and will be surprised if can be bettered. going back next year .

Room Tip: Rooms around 200's around pool area but pool bar open untill 1o clock
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank boylandterry
Dear our guest, thank you very much for all your great comments about us. It was a pleasure for us to serve you. I will pass your comments to all our staff as there is no greater motivation than your words. It will be a great pleasure for us to welcome you here again. Please do not hesitate to contact me by badeoral@wowbodrum.com for further help for your future vacations. Best regards, Bade
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

stayed end of april,although season was not quite open,had a wonderful week.s holiday,very relaxing good food choice.good drink,s choice,hotel has a great choice of restuarant,s, the gondola is very good for lunchtime snack,s,straight for the beach, the entertainment staff are very good,alway,s trying to you get involved.hotel is very clean.room,s are a bit dated but you only sleep and change in them,overall good hotel,good staff,good food & drink,s. from cleaner,s to reception staff all very good, will definately be going back, hopefully this year

Room Tip: seaview rooms are gorgeous
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank shaway56
Dear our guest,It is a great pleasure for us to hear your wonderful compliments about us. We are very glad to hear that you had a wonderful holiday at our hotel. I am aware that your comments will be a good motivation for all of us, therefore you can be assured that I will pass your comments to the departments. It will be a great opportunity for us to welcome you back at our hotel. Please feel free to contact me through badeoral@wowbodrum.com for any information and help you require for your future vacations. Kind Regards, Bade
cardiff
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Food really good so much to choose from
Rooms a little dated but have kettle tea coffee and mini bar refilled each day with beer Pepsi water and lemonade
Staff friendly and helpful would definitely come here again

Room Tip: Lots of stairs we were in room 1431 good for beach and italian restaurant My sister was in room 14...
3 Thank Julie P
Dear our guest, thank you very much for all your compliments about us. We are so pleased to know you had a memorable holiday. I will pass your comments to all our staff as this is the greatest motivation for all of us. It will be a pleasure to welcome you here for a memorable WOW Bodrum Resort holiday. Please do not hesitate to contact me for further help for your future vacations. Best regards, Bade badeoral@wowbodrum.com
Lancing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just came back after a week spent there with my Granddaughter and her cousin, both 15. Beautiful apartments on two llevels. My room had a large double bed and the girls had upstairs twin room, both had their own bathroom. Their room had their own front door so they didn't have to disterb me when they came in. Staff were great and friendly. 3 specialised restaurant ...Italian,Turkish and mediterain .which were bookable. Main restaurant had a great selection. The only fault is that there wasn't much for the girls to do in the evening. There was a disco but when we went there there'd was us and 4 others.!!! All in all very good.

Room Tip: All rooms great,
Bucharest
Reviewed 1 June 2014

A bad experience, they were so rude when we arrived, giving us the worst room the world.After this they scratched our car and refuse to even admit. Then one of the guys from parking started cursing us in Turkish and we only found out becouse one of us knew Turkish.The food was average and same every single day. Drinks were in plastic glasses and were never clean.The main pool was over crowded and not clean.
Overall a very bad holiday, i would never repeat this ..

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank HenterDorin
Dear our guest,we are sorry to hear that your expectations did not match with our services. we were not informed of any scratched cars or swearing staff .We would deal with that if we have known about it. On the other hand, please be informed that our hotel cars that are used by our hotel staff are parked at a different area than guest parking area. We do not agree with your statement about our food being repetative and being average. We have a 14 day menu all through the season and our food is recommended highly in all websites, tour operator surveys and is awarded for 2013 best food category. Regards, Bade
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gumbet
Isis Hotel
#1 of 99 in Bodrum City
La Blanche Island Bodrum
La Blanche Island Bodrum
#3 of 99 in Bodrum City

Been to WOW Bodrum Resort? Share your experiences!