“A smashing weeks holiday”
Review of WOW Bodrum Resort

WOW Bodrum Resort
Ranked #3 of 101 Hotels in Gumbet
Reviewed 6 August 2014

After a 5 hour delay with our flight out it was a pleasure to arrive to friendly helpful staff at 3am in the morning. Check in was painless and the porter took our bags to our room. The room was small for 3 people (2 adults and a 10 year old child) and there was no bedding for the sofa bed – considering the hotel was expecting us I would have expected this to be in the room and the bed made (especially with the 5 hour delay). The bedding was soon rectified and we managed to get some sleep.
The room didn’t give much privacy for the adults as the sofa bed was only 18inches from the double. The air conditioning seemed to come on and off throughout the nights which was sometimes annoying if you woke up all hot awaiting for it to kick in again. With the lack of privacy it was difficult to sleep on top of the bed.
The fridge stopped functioning and this was rectified within the hour. The maids started by only leaving one beer in the fridge, with 2 adults it wasn’t enough but they soon left 2 a day on request.
The room was cleaned well every day, sometimes just after 9am and sometimes not until nearly 6pm.
Food in the buffet was of an excellent quality and with a very good selection. It was always well presented and the plates were quickly replaced when emptied, which was good especially when you saw some guests filling 2 plates but only eating some of what they took.
The resort also has 4 bookable restaurants which can be used once per week. Booking can only be made on the same day (unless there’s an anniversary), and there was a queue outside guest relations before 9am when the office opened. The bookings full up quickly but worth making the effort as the restaurants were all very good. It was annoying though one evening to see 2 tables not used as people hadn’t turned up – others could have used those tables.
La Gondola is the Italian restaurant. We both had the calamari starter and although a little chewy was still tasty and the 10 year old tried and enjoyed it – even after he was told what he was eating. For mains we had a margarita pizza, steak in a red wine sauce and lasagne. All were tasty and were soon finished off. We all had tiramisu for desert which was soon devoured.
The Sini restaurant is Turkish cuisine. There was various cold starters which the waiter explained what each was. Mains was lamb in a thin bread covering, very tasty although a little too much bread. Chicken and chips for the lad. Desert was various fresh fruits.
The Sancak restaurant was Mediterranean cuisine. We were met and asked which type of fish we would like for the main course, these were on display in an iced chiller. The starter was a variety of tasty starters. The fish skewer had by one guest was very tasty and my sea bass was also nicely cooked and tasty. The lad had chicken with rice and chips (he didn’t like fish). More fruit for desert.
All three produced excellent food and it’s a shame more people can’t experience the delights.
The pool area had a few too many beds making moving around getting into and out of the pool difficult. Despite the pool rules saying not to reserve beds towels were being left very early (sometimes the night before). I was down at 7.30am one morning and 75% of the beds had been reserved with only 6-10 people occupying some beds. We noticed that some of the beds were unoccupied until nearly 11am then unoccupied again from 1pm until the occupants collected their towels about 4pm. This is one area the hotel needs to clamp down on.
Entertainment was good throughout the week with the animation team working hard on a variety of entertainment.
All the staff we had dealings with were helpful (the cleaner gave the lad an inflatable bed that had been left), friendly and courteous. We must have been come part of the furniture in the evening as new drinks arrived as the old were being finished whilst watching the entertainment.
The complex has Wi-Fi but it is very slow and difficult to connect. Whilst I don't expect Wi-Fi on holiday (it is nice to post a picture or 2) the bandwidth of the connection needs to be improved enabling those that live on their smart phones/tablets to keep connected.
Checkout was painless and quick and we could keep the towel cards until we departed.
All in all a great weeks holiday, the hotel has its faults but only minor ones and we would defiantly visit again.

2  Thank Oggy1962
badeoral, Guest Relations Manager at WOW Bodrum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear our guest, thank you very much for all your compliments. You can be assured that we will always keep on working hard to deserve those nice words. I will pass your comments to all our staff as this is the greatest motivation for all of us. It was a pleasure and will be an honor to welcome you here for a memorable WOW Bodrum Resort holiday. Please do not hesitate to contact me for further help for your future vacations. Best regards, Bade badeoral@wowbodrum.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,245)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Hamad M
badeoral, Guest Relations Manager at WOW Bodrum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel is good value for money. We choose this hotel over Lykia World in Olu Deniz that we usually go to. This decision was simply as it is half the cost and had good reviews. I have to say it is far off the quality if Lykia World however you have to remember is it half the price, so it depends if you are prepared to compromise.

The salad is amazing, 3 large serving areas with everything and more for a great salad, but the hot food serving area was only a third if the size. There was an area outside (really badly laid out) with more hot food but very little Turkish food!!! Mainly badly imitated food from the UK, Germany, France etc. I stuck to salad for the week. It was frustrating that the hot food was poor as I love Turkish food but I was happy with salad all week as it was amazing. It is a scrum to get food, no one queues except the English and you can wait for ages for 1 item by which time the rest of your food is cold....another reason for salad!!!
Breakfast was the best meal of the day. Huge choice of cereals, attempts at English breakfast if you can bere the imitation version of English breakfasts, cold meat and cheese, bread, salad and best of all pancakes with a huge choice if toppings near the salad area (not anywhere near the pancakes) plus freshly squeezed orange juice. Squeezed directly into your glass. Usually a 2-5 minute wait but worth it. This has always been a chargeable extra in other hotels so was impressed with this being free. Oh and the Nutella....it is the real deal, not a copy or cheap version. Lush!!
The main restaurant like being in a canteen when inside as all you can hear is plates being scrapped and knives and forks being clanked together. If you can get a table outside it feels a million times nicer but the tables are close together so be prepared to be constantly moving your chair to let people to their tables. Always take it in turns to get food or your table will be taken by inconsiderate foreigners!
Ate in the Italian at lunch twice, it is nice but busy (but then again it is the school holidays). What I found interesting is their menu is burger, cheese burger, hot dog, salad, pizza (but not Saturdays) and spaghetti Bolognese. Very italian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did not go to the BBQ on the beach as they said no to wheelchair users.
Could not find the other restaurants so didn't bother as assumed could not get to them with a wheelchair as the only places we did not look we're down flights of stairs.
Also, do not go to dinner thirsty as twice we never received our drinks and once we had nearly finished and I asked where they were and he had forgotten and apologised!!!!! They do work there socks off so they are probably over worked.
It would have been nice to have some theme nights.
Ice cream was amazing, great quality ice cream and 5 flavours (the lemon is to die for) and also a choice of some lollies. Much better than I thought.
There are snacks but we didn't have these as there was too much food for us, but I did notice one day they did jacket potatoes at 5.30pm. Why could there not be jacket potatoes in the restaurant!!

Bars
Good quality drinks, including Pepsi but no system for serving people and very much appeared to be based on nationality with the Turkish getting served before anyone else no matter of how long you have been waiting. Often if they were cleaning or sorting glasses they did not stop and serve, you had to wait for them to finish. Kids cocktails were a hit but different depending on who was serving you but didn't matter really. Adult cocktails were a hit with my Mum!!!!!

Swimming Pools
Always clean and warmest outdoor pools I have ever been in. Fantastic as alway hate getting in the cold pools you normally get so was very impressed. Never saw them cleaning them but they were immaculately clean and so I guess this was done overnight.
The main pool was the best but don't expect to get a sunbed unless you get up at 4am which my Mum was having to do and then she went back to sleep on the sunbed. Most of them were covered in towels all day and not used!!! There is a large proportion of other nationalities in the hotel hence why the problem is occurring as hotel where there are mainly English never have this issue. This should be policed by the hotel to stop this happening and they should remove towels after a hr if they are not being used for the benefit of the other holiday guests.
Relax pool is lovely but in a strange position. Loads of sunbeds but not really for people with children as they need to be quiet.
Waterslides were a hit with my 10 year old but nothing for the younger children. Dare devil 7 year olds or above I would say.
Beware though as they sell water guns in the hotel and teenagers thought it is funny to squirt people whilst they are relaxing on the sunbeds and then hide them under the water to pretend it was not them!
All of the pools are 1.4m deep with the exception of the baby pool which is 0.4m. I wouldn't recommend this for young families at all. Unless they are good swimmers or are 1.45m tall they would be limited to the baby pool.
Water polo took over the main pool twice a day which is ridiculous as you are limited to the sides and the pool is busy so you need the space. Once a day is more than enough surely!!!!
The sunbeds are the best quality I have seen in a hotel before and comfortable.

Beach
The beach is small, gravel type sand (this is the same anywhere in turkey) and sunbeds always taken early but I am not a beach person so it did not bother me.
My daughter made use of the free canoe session but needed help from an adult as she was drifting out to sea with the current so go with your child.
My daughter also used the water sports which were payable. I thought it was expensive at around £13 each but as only one of my children was with me I did allow her to do it, but if I had both of my children with me it would have been different. This is not part of the hotel but next to their beach. Make sure you negotiate as we got this down by about £3 per person.
The sea is clear and looked fun but due it health reason I could not try it out.

Kids club
My daughter went once and enjoyed it but wasn't that interested. I did not go to take her as I could not get down the steps but she seemed happy enough.

Hairdressers
Great. We had our hair braided. Was £20 for half a head which is much cheaper than paid in other hotels. Many people went to have wash and blow dry as it was about £5 so they got them to do it before they went for dinner and also they were busy with doing make up for people. Not sure on the charge but probably good as otherwise they would not have been so busy. They were the most friendly staff in the hotel. They also do fish pedi, waxing etc.

Health centre
I did not use this but my Mum did. She had a Turkish bath and massage for £35, again very reasonable compared to other hotels we have been to. She said it was lovely.
The indoor pool the kids loved in the afternoon when very hot outside and they were usually the only 2 in it. Her friends dad went in the gym when they were in there so that he could watch them though the glass. The gym appeared to be well equip.

Getting about
I will have another section in a minute about people with disabilities, but for those of you who are able bodied this is easier than it appears in the brochure. Yes the resort is on a steep slope and there are lots of steps but there is actually a lift from reception the main restaurant, hairdressers, gym, indoor pool etc and also to the outside pool level and one of the entertainment areas. There is another lift from that level to one of the accommodation levels and then down to a short tunnel which leads to the beach down a small slope (also to the tennis courts, water slides and Italian restaurant). I did not expect this so was a massive bonus as otherwise I couldn't have got their and certainly saves your legs!!
However there is not a lift to the theatre (where the kids disco and shows were), to the kids club and I assume the other restaurants. There are very steep steps and loads of them. Impossible with pushchairs let alone wheelchairs.
Just be aware with the lifts as people do not queue so if you don't get in quick everyone else will!! This includes the staff who do not care about putting customers first just getting to where they wanted to be. Mainly the people moving the food to the Italian restaurant and the bell boys.

Activities
We did not use them but there were plenty. There was No one nagging you to take part like most places do, which was a relief!!

Hotel room
The room was clean, only 2 single beds on arrival for 3 of us but was sorted immediately. Was very impressed that the 3rd bed was a proper 3ft single bed. The beds were really comfortable.
The bathroom floor was like an ice rink even though a disabled room. There should be a not slip flooring but there isn't so we laid wet towels on the floor for safety (don't use dry ones as they side) as my mum slipped the first day. The room had a TV but we didn't use it. This is unusual so was impressed. Room was dated but perfectly clean and usable as at the end of the day you only sleep in it. Nice bright room and large wardrobe. Standard of finish is poor compared to the uk but we weren't in the uk and all hotels have a shamble finish in turkey.
Don't leave your hanging door sign on the door to say it is ok to be cleaned as someone thought it was funny to turn them around and therefore our room wasn't cleaned one day. As soon as I called them receptions at 7pm at night a cleaner was there within 5 mins. So best not to have a sign out at all unless you don't want to be disturbed.
The shower was fantastic, brilliant powerful pressure.
There is also free wifi in the hotel which we could always get in the room but no always in communal areas when they were busy but must be because everyone was trying to connect to that particular server as there were several around the hotel. However never had free wifi in Turkey before so was a bonus.
Free mini bar in room with Pepsi, water, Efes beer, lemonade etc in it and restocked daily.

Location
I did not leave the resort because it was hilly and it was not suitable for me but I knew this on booking the hotel and never planned to leave the resort anyway. My daughter left the resort with her friend and her family and she said it was a 15 minute walk to Gumbet. She got some good deals and haggled hard, even at the age if 10!! There aren't many shops but they do all of the fake items!

Staff
They work so hard and very long hours. They do not serve people in order but they do need more staff!!! They all need to learn to smile as they look so miserable but were nice enough. I did have 3 experiences that really made things positive...1) I was trying to get to the lift in my wheelchair but it was impossible and had no one to help. A cleaner saw me struggling and came and pushed me to the lift 2) I could not get up the slope to the swimming pool on my own and the bar man came running out and pushed me up the slope 3) my mum was choking in the restaurant and a worker grabbed some water and ran over with it for her. These were very good experiences that I am truly grateful for....but please smile :), get some more staff to help them and be conscious of customers and who has been waiting the longest!!
I had several dealings with guest services. At first it was a little tense as what I was explaining was not understood and lost in translation. This was also a case of understanding that Turkey is so different to the uk, but on the first day I found one of the ladies abrupt. After this day she came ill to us several times to see if there was anything she could do to help us. They also arranged for an extension lead as there were not sockets by the beds and I use a CPAP at night and this was received within 30 mins of the conversation. The issues I had with the room (as in disability needs) was eventually understood on the last day after a chat with an English lady in guest services who realised what I meant by an issue with a door. It had been misunderstood as to why I had a problem with the door but now they realise they are looking into changing it.

Tip....if you like to enjoy the atmosphere and entertainment but at a distance, go to the outside terrace by the reception bar, it is lighter up there so you can play cards and watch over the poolside entertainment on an evening, plus amazing views.

Disabilities
This is a sore subject!! Granted it does say not ideal for people with mobility issues and I agree the lift service is great, but there are still many areas that are inaccessible including the theatre where most of the evening entertainment and all the shows are.
The disabled room is fine for mobile people but you cannot turn around inside in the wheelchair and have to fold and turn and then just use a stick (not possible for some). There is a step into the bathroom and non grip floor. There is a shower seat. To leave the room in a wheelchair is soooooo difficult, simply because the door is hung so that when you open the door it swings the way you need to go so then you can't get down the ramp nor close the door without a lot of giggling about. If it was simply hung on the opposite side it would be possible. I raised my concerns with the hotel manager as I said if I was in the room alone I would find it difficult to get out in hone event of a fire...he said "there will not be a fire"!!!!!!!!!
The ramp down is also steep and there are stairs coming down next to the room so you cannot see if anyone is coming down so if there is they will be hurt! Plus I hit the opposite wall when trying to gap get down on my own. Not sure how this could be changed though.
Near enough impossible to use a wheelchair in the restaurant as narrow walkways, everyone walks towards you and can't reach everything. People pushed me out of the way and most hurtful was that I was starred at like a freak!!! I know that this is due to some of the customers coming from Russia and I know first hand how they are seen as freaks in their country and placed in homes. I have been to Russia and Belarus and friends in Belarus and Ukraine too because of charity work I do, but I do not like being subject of a freak show. This is not the fault of the hotel but something you should be aware of if going to this hotel as there are a large number if Russians using the hotel.
There were people who complained that I took my wheelchair to the pool too, paddled sitting in it at times and they thought it was not acceptable. I was able to get into the pool most of the time although for medical reasons I have been told not to go into a pool for my safety but I did under my mums supervision but I can't see why having a wheelchair poolside Is such an issue to people!!
Only 3 disabled toilets in the whole hotel, one on the main restaurant level, one by the towel kiosk and one near the beach. This was a nightmare trying to get to one and then hoping no one else was using it as people just didn't care. There was a ramp into the mill by the other pool bar and near the entertainment area of the pool but it is physically impossible to get a wheelchair into the ladies loo so no idea why they put a ramp there!! Plus the men's toilets are up the stairs.

If you are aware of these downfalls before booking and are happy to work around them then all is well and good.

Overall, £ for £ this is a great value hotel but should not be compared to other 5 star resorts such as Lykia as Lykia is in a different world and has nicer customers so no attitude problems from English customers or sunbed issues. There were many English there who were clearly from not such nice areas of the country but you don't get that at more expensive resorts. It depends if you want to pay twice the price to avoid this really.

Many of its downfalls would cost nothing or little to fix, others such as another lift service and more staff would. There are also other downfalls falls of this resort that are not their fault, such as the clients who use it and their behaviour.

I would recommend it for families of children over 8 without mobility issues. My daughter is 10 and said it was simply amazing.

2  Thank JoCC940
badeoral, Guest Relations Manager at WOW Bodrum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear our guest, we are glad that you enjoyed the food and drinks in our restaurants and bars. because you chose to travel in peak season, the hotel was busy and you therefore may have had to wait a little longer than normal for the service. with regard to your comment about the way the door is hung; I contacted our TS Manager and he informed me that the door is hung this way so that a guest in a wheelchair can close it again after leaving the room. hung the other way, the door would be behind you when you exit and would be difficult to close. All our disabled rooms have non-slip tiles on floors in the showers and there is no step at the entrance. access facilities such as the amphitheater and kids club is possible by ramp-if you had difficulty working this access out, we would have been happy to show you the routes had you asked. we are sorry you were made to feel uncomfortable by other guests, though these were unlikely to have been Russian as we only had 14 Russian guests in the hotel during your stay. we are always happy to get feedback from guests, and we thank you for taking time to contact us. please do not hesitate to contact us by badeoral@wowbodrum.com for any further help for your future vacations. Best regards, Bade

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Let me start by saying that this resort is Not 5 star - now let me tell you why - The WOW - The 4 specialist restaurants and the staff were all excellent. The animation team were also great and all the staff members put in a lot of effort to entertain the guests.
The Woe - We go on holiday to relax and unwind and do not expect to set the alarm to stand a chance of booking one of the 4 restaurants, the lines are constantly engaged from 9.00am and it's pot luck if you mange to secure one of the very limited number of tables available. The pool and beach areas are a complete joke, one because the sun loungers are so tightly squeezed together that it's uncomfortable and that's if you actually mange to secure a space at all. Again you need to be up very early in the morning to put towels on the loungers. If you wait until after 9.00am it is virtually impossible to find an empty sun lounger around the pool or on the beach. For 12 out of the 14 days we were there we went next door to the coconut beach pier however, this did mean that we had to pay for drinks which is crazy when we have already paid to stay at an all inclusive resort.
The so called relax pool is surrounded by tennis courts which are at a higher level than the pool and it honestly looks like you are in a prison. The tables and chairs are falling apart and staff are rude..
The bedrooms are a disgrace - my wife nearly burst into tears when we were taken to room we were allocated on arrival. It was dirty and had a musty smell and the sofa bed they expected our daughter to sleep on was filthy. We refused to stay in this room and were relocated. The second room was better however, very small for a family of 3 who were staying for 2 weeks.
If your looking for a relaxing holiday in a 5 star resort I would suggest that you look at Lykia World in Olu Deniz it shows the Woe - sorry - Wow hotel up for what it really is and that's a 3 Star hotel at best.

Room Tip: Insist on a refurbished room with a sea view - If more than 3 people are staying in the room you wil...
3  Thank treed0480

Dear our guest, sorry to hear that your expectations did not match with our services. As you have chosen to come on holiday in the peak season to a 500 room hotel, it is to be expected that there will be a considerable number of guests sharing the spaces and a la carte restaurants with you. We are sorry that you have found the size of the room small for 3 persons but family rooms with more spacious accomodation are available for reservation. We are sorry that you could not find sunbeds in the particular areas you wanted- the number of sunbeds in the hotel is sufficient for all guests, but if you have difficulties, you can always contact guest relations for help. Best regards, Bade

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

After reading reviews we booked this hotel for a weeks break. Rooms are dated with carpet which I have never had on a sun holiday before. They were clean and towels and bed linen changed daily.
I realise it was high season but there was a lack of sun beds around the main pool and beach due to people reserving them with towels. On several occasions these were out of use until late in the day when people returned from shopping expeditions or trips. We used the relax pool as there were sun beds always available.
Food in the al a carte restaurants was very nice especially the Turkish and Itallian. The main restaurant provided a range of foods but it became very repetitive.
Very disappointingly there were cups and food waste left on a wall for a few days right beside our room which was located by a staff entrance!!
On a positive note the staff are friendly and extremely helpful. Weather fantastic. Overall I feel this is a 3 star hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Smokief

Dear our guest, thank you very much for all your comments about us. We are so pleased to know you had a nice holiday. ın reagrd to your comments about glasses and plates left around hotel premises, our F&B Mnagaer is informed to warn his staff to pay maximum attention to the issue. It will be a pleasure to welcome you here for a memorable WOW Bodrum Resort holiday. Please do not hesitate to contact me for further help for your future vacations. Best regards, Bade badeoral@wowbodrum.com

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Best holiday I have ever had. Myself and my partner stayed at Wow bodrum from July the 13th for a week. The hotel is immaculate, we arrived and the staff took our cases to our room and then we were given a welcome cocktail. Our rep Lacie was amazing, treated her guests like friends and made you feel so comfortable on holiday. All hotel staff were so nice, always offering to get you drinks and helping you out in everyway. Food was awesome, and always such a variety, you also get proper english bacon some mornings! You do have to get up early to grab a sunbed, but it was so peacful and beautiful at 7 in the morning I really didnt mind doing it. If you do stay at this hotel you must catch a bus into bodrum and visit all the shops, you must also take a walk down to gumbet strip, go to the first handbag shop you see and visit Hans, he is so friendly, i think the shop was called oscars or something like that, totally worth a visit. I cant complain about a single thing, me and my boyfriend had the most amazing holiday and met the best people to share the holiday with, evening entertainment in to hotel was fab! you must also visit Annalivia its a resturant in Gumbet strip but does the most amazing steak ever, order the boss steak! Also Outback bar is great for cocktails!

Loved every minute, would recommend to everyone and anyone!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank charlotte s

Dear our guest, First of all I would like to thank you for your lovely comments about our hotel. Your comments are great motivation for us to do even better, therefore I will pass on your message to all our staff. We will be glad to welcome you back once again at our hotel. Please feel free to contact me for any information you will need for your future vacations. Looking forward to seeing you very soon. Kind Regards, Bade badeoral@wowbodrum.com

Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is not a 4 or 5 star hotel. This is an out of date 3 star hotel with excellent knowledge of how to manipulate social media reviews. The rooms are not "a little dated". They are positively old-fashioned. It is not a modern resort: the reception area and bar are indeed marble and imposing, but styled in the 80's. There are so many guests in relation to the available space that the buffet is like a scrum, and in some parts of the pool you have to climb over other sun-loungers to get to yours. There are a handful of friendly staff whilst the remainder are surly and disinterested. The only saving grace is the animation team who are clearly organised, enthusiastic and good at their jobs. Thank you for that alone.

Room Tip: The more "modern" rooms have tiled floors and nice bathrooms as opposed to the older rooms...
1  Thank Emma J
badeoral, Guest Relations Manager at WOW Bodrum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear our guest, firstly we would like to assure you that we do not seek to influence any of the comments made by other guests on any social media sites. we are sorry that the style and decor of the hotel did not meet with your expectations but this is clearly described in the agency brochures and at all social media sites. As you have chosen to come on holiday in the peak season to a 500 room hotel, it is to be expected that there will be a considerable number of guests sharing the spaces with you. We are pleased thatyou are fully satisfied with the enthusiams and organisation of our animation team. Regards, Bade

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gumbet
Royal Asarlik Beach
#19 of 101 in Gumbet
Vogue Bodrum
Vogue Bodrum
#3 of 24 in Torba

Been to WOW Bodrum Resort? Share your experiences!