“Never Again” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #88 of 98 Hotels in Gumbet
Essex
“Never Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

This mush be the worst hotel/apartment in Marmaris. We only stayed a week but the towels - brown stripe furry thingswere never changed. Bedding was never changed. The beds were so uncomfortable I couldn't get any sleep at night so slept on the beach during the day. There is no lift so if you have any sort of disability this place is no good for you. You certainly wouldn't getting to your apartment if you are on the 2nd or 3rd floor. The rooms were never cleaned just the bins emptied and on our last day the bin was taken away. We were never told about having to purchase our own toilet tissue -other places (self catering) supplied it and replaced itwhen it ran out. The fridge should have been dumped it was disgusting - rusty inside we just kept botlled or canned drinks in it.
The English woman who runs the place done nothing but moan about having to work and how boring the place was. We had to pay £25.00 in case of damage- nothing to damage! We did get that back at the end of the stay. Our transport wasn't picking us up until 2am and had to find somewhere to have a shower and rest before the flight home. The Turkish guy who ran the place suggested - very begrudgingly- that maybe the place across the road could put us up. The place we went to was lovely as were the owners and their daughter. The rooms were very clean the shower very clean aqnd towels very clean and fresh and you didn't have to pay extra for the cleanliness. If only the Gizem was as nice and clean as this. It didn't go down very well with the owners when we didn't stay and eat the restaurant they were quite nasty. I have to agree with everyone who has written a bad review for the Gizem I only wish I had read them before I booked. I could list a whole lot of other complaints but I think a lot of people have covered most of them. Will not recommed and certainly won't be going back there. It won't put me off Marmaris I shall be going in August this year again.

Room Tip: I don't think they have any
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank essexgirl05

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

roms filthy sheets dirty archie only nice when you spend money there he dont like you going out and thats the idea of a holida out and about sharon who helps out thinks shes the dogs nuts well shes sly and a money grabber like archie they can be your best freinds if you spend if you dont well you might as well go home because they will make you feel not wanted he does have a button emissing on lap top and writes hes own reveiws to make hotel sound nice it needs a bomb on it and archie and so called parnter need class in manners shes english and should know talk paople with respect the old cow

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mannersplease

Travellers are raving about these Gumbet hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

The night before going to Gizem Apartments i read these reviews, and i must admite that i was so scared about going, myself and my boyfriend arrived in the early hours of tuesday morning and was shown to our rooms by a member of staff who helped us with our suitcases and was very helpful. That put me at ease however i had not met sharon or archie yet so was still very scared and could not sleep, after meeting archie and sharon i have no bad words to say about them they were nothing but helpful to myself and my boyfriend and made us feel very welcome. When we had trouble with our flights not being on the board both sharon and archie rang our rep to sort it out.
The staff especially Speedy and Hassen where very helpful and would always say hi and goodnight when ever we seen them. We was never made to stay or buy anything from the hotel and as we treated all the members of staff and the rooms with respect we found that we was also treated the same way. I am in no ways saying that everyone elses reviews are wrong i am simply expressing that we have a good experience at these apartments. I guess we was lucky going on everyone elses reviews.
I am a very fussy eater and found there food was very nice we only stayed in to eat at the hotel about 4times and we stayed for 2weeks and i enjoyed the food and entertainment, although we was on our own we made many friends and joined in dancing with bellydancers etc...
I need to add that these apartments are most defintaly only 2 star and very basic however we new that before going and didnt mind as it was just somewhere for us to sleep. Our room was clean and we was given clean towels every 3days and our bedding changed. The only thing i could complaine about was that the cleaner does not clean the floors they just change your bins everyday.
The pool area was very good and a big area, there is no rocks around the bar on the picture advertised however we spoke to another couple who had been there before who said that the rocks where once there. Overall we had a good stay at these apartments, and was not charged for any extras, this could just be because we kept everything clean and tidy, or that we had no children or simply just because we was liked either way we was lucky enough to have a nice stay and enjoy ourselfs at these apartments.
The apartments offer a tukish night that i read bad reviews about however sharon and archie offered a free turkish bath if we went so we did its cost £10 english pounds and it is an open buffet and entertainment, we had a really good night and therefore decided to do it the week after and sharoon new that we had already had a free turkish bath so for booking the turkish night again we was given a free bbq the next night.
These apartments are a bit out of the way however there is a taxi rank just down the road and they dont charge very much at all.
I enjoyed my holiday very much and had lots of fun with my boyfriend, we had the free turkish bath which i recomend and a oil massarge, we went to Aqua Dream Park, went on a lazy boat trip and also went to turtle beach, where we was lucky enough to see turtles and have amud bath.
However at night when walking down the strip or the beach frount it can be very intimidating with nearly all bars and resturants trying to get you in and some can become very angry and annoyed when you say no thankyou. You must always haggel when buying from the shops as they start off very high with prices and we had a very rude man who was angry with me as we didnt want to buy anything we simply just wanted to look around. However dont get me wrong most of the people will do anything for you and are very very helpful and friendly its just a shame that you have the odd few that can be rude. I dont think i will go back to marmaris although i loved it turkey is very beautiful i just couldnt handle having to haggel and offending people when we never wanted to go to there bar or resturant etc...

If your from liverpool or support LFC i recomend you most defintly go to the Anfiel bar, there is also an oldtrafford bar and and everton bar.

Hope you found my review helpful, sorry its so long hehe...Have a lovely holiday x x

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

The Gizem apartments provide a basic, clean foundation for your holiday. The pool is a fantastic size, and we found the staff more than friendly as we spoke to them with manners and politeness. We did notice a lot of famlies that were there were rude, and therefore in my opinion if you are this rude you will tend to be treated differently. This is not England, and peolpe have to respect other Nations customs and traditions etc. "Get me a beer now" and calling the young children devil children is disgusting behaviour. If you want something clean and basic, then pick this place. Hasan in particular was very good with the children, and on our night of departure Archie and Sharon gave our kids a free t shirt each, and us free shots, just shows that if you are polite you receive top service. The only thing I would say they need to improve are the air conditioning units, ours tended to leak slightly, however it was +40 degrees somedays. Definately would go back.

1 Thank LJKA7673
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

Where do i start,on our arrival we were informed that we get one toilet roll free,we would have to buy our own as we are self catering,with this i was slightly taken aback,then we was told not to dirty the towels as we would be charged, i thought he was joking until we got to our room,in the kitchen there was a list on the kitchen cabinet for items damaged or lost ranging from £20 for saucepan-£2 for a tea spoon. There was also a list in the bedroom, a single sheet £8 - £30 for a mirror with various other items inbetween. These prices don't seem excessive but if while you are shopping around Marmaris the mirror at a cost of £30 can be bought to replace for 12TL(£5.17). Then there is Archie's big gripe towels, we know of the two sisters from Edinburgh who paid £24 for three already grubby towels and they filmed the transaction handing the money over, this is when Archie went ballistic, and the following day whilst they were on a boat trip he ransacked there rooms and stole thier belongings. We seemed to be ok as we were in a large group, in our group we had three large bald headed gents which Archie could not intimidate,he did try but to no avail. He mentioned to us about our towels being marked to which i asked had they been laundered, Archie replied no, i asked him how can you charge for somthing that might be washed out he told me he would put fresh towels in our room,i knew the towels he showed me were NOT our towels as i marked the corners of each towel in our room as we had sused his scam. We was quite fortunate as there was no spare key to our room so we knew our room would be safe. Archie is without doubt an out and out bully he picks on young ladies and the vunerable,one morning there were several children playing pool and on the computer WHICH HAD BEEN PAID FOR, Archie came screaming out of his office at reception telling them to get away and raising his hand to one of the children,until one of the parents in our group sreamed at him, that we do not treat children like that. His partner in crime the not so lovely Sharon comes across as being quite sly and very untrustworthy, as do all the rest of the staff bar one,this may have something to do with all the staff being Kurdish and are a different temprement to Turkisk people. The one excellent member of staff was called Sky who is Turkish and has only worked at Gizem for several weeks. Sharon is English,and gives English people a bad name. We was only there for two weeks but it felt like two months, the rooms are not cleaned swept or mopped,bins not emptied and those rooms that Archie had spare keys for no towels changed, baring in mind that used toilet paper is to be put in the bins provided the bin in our toilet was not emptied in two weeks, we flushed from day one,but put bathroom rubbish in our bin,DISGUSTING toilets not cleaned,we had mold in our toilet, the whole bathroom in room 203 is not fit for human use. I know you get what you pay for and this should have been cheap and cheerful,we just got cheap. Disgusting dirty a terrible atmoshere,not to be recommened, and DO NOT run up a bill on your room unless you know for sure what you have had as you may find several things added on. We went as a large group of close friends,for a relaxing carefree holiday,but it felt like a stalag,we went open minded but was shocked at what was seen, people intimidated,frightened and uncomfortable. Archie walks around with the swagger of a gun slinger,not to be trusted and has potential to be very dangerous. He makes Basil Fawlty look like Mother Teresa.

3 Thank mancity14
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

In general the apartments are filthy.
Within the mouldy rotten bathrooms you have a shower tray which takes over an hour to drain once filled, so after one person has had a shower the bathroom floods, and the toilet has never seen any form of bleach or cleaner since the day it was installed.
The so called kitchen area is not fit for purpose and I would certainly not attempt to cook in it until it had been decontaminated.
I travelled with a party of 18 people. Between our party we had 5 apartments, and each was the same, proving mine was definatley not a one off. I had to ask for my bedding to be changed after 6 days and was met with a grunt, almost as if I had asked for something out of the ordinary.
The most worrying part of these apartments was the attitude and behaivour of the manager 'Archie'.
From what I have witnessed myself and been told from other guests, Archie is only happy when he is making money from unsuspecting people and he will achieve this, even if it means going to extreme lengths to rip you off. Archie is threatening, rude, aggressive and violent. Below is a list of incidents which occured whilst I was at the apartments.
* Within your apartment their are two lists (I have attached photographs) stating you have to pay for any missing, damaged or dirty items. My apartment had 2 missing items from the kitchen which I informed Archie about shortly after my arrival, he then assured me these when be replaced the next day, this never happened. You will be charged for any dirty towels, this includes, towels you use to mop up the water with from your leaking shower, towels or bedding which may have the reamins of sun cream on after showering or towels which are given to you already dirty. I spent my holiday worrying about whether my children had dirty feet or would sweat out sun cream in the night and dirty the bedding.

*Two females and their children were thrown out into the street after refusing to pay £26:00 for dirty towels. Archie had been into their room whilst they were out, packed their suitcases and taken their passports and would not return them until they paid. Archie was very aggressive, shouting and swearing at the pair and eventually other guests had to step in and help them. Only when the pair began to ring the police, did Archie give them their belongings back, but then threw them out of the apartments. Many guests were frightened by this experience.

*Another family were charged £25:00 for dirty towels and were asked to pay on a credit card. Archie then told them that the transaction had failed and they would have to reapeat the process, when they asked to see evidence of the failed transaction, Archie again became agressive. Once the situation had been resolved, Archie made the family sign a declaration stating they would not write about their experience on any review pages.

*When I arrived at the apartments the pool table was free to use, it then went to 1TL, then a few days later 2TL, obviously Archie had realised the children were using it often. After an arguement with my friend over her 11 year old son playing pool, Archie declared the pool table was for over 18's only.

*Originally one of the party I had travelled with booked my airport transfers directly with Archie, but after finding a better deal we cancelled them. On my arrival Archie asked me to pay £60:00. He claimed he did not know my transfer had been cancelled and he had to pay the £60:00, so I had to pay him. My friend then brought up the email cancelling the transfers on the computer, Archie claimed he did not recieve this email. Archie said the only way we would not have to pay the £60:00 was for all 18 people in our party to eat at his restaurant and spend the night at his bar. To avoid anymore confrontation, we agreed to this, obviously spending far more than £60:00.

*The internet that is available for guests at a payable rate, is turned off half way through your session. Any attempt to argue your point that you have paid, is met with an un-interested Archie.

*I walked through the bar area with soft drinks and crisps for my children, and was questioned over why I had not purchased them from the bar, I tried to explain that the apartments were self catering and that I was able to take items from the shop up to my room, but was told in future to purchase them from the bar.

In every bar or restaurant we visited, the staff always asked if you were enjoying your holiday and where you were staying. When you said you were staying at Gizem apartments, the locals told you to be very wary of Archie, due to his behaivour. One even told us how Archie had held a gun to a guests head over dirty linen. Locals claimed Gizem apartments were ruining the reputuation of Armulutan.

I did not save up my money all year to go on holiday to met with this outrageous behaviour.

For your own sanity DO NOT BOOK THESE APARTMENTS !!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010
3 Thank bernie0101
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2010

I stand by everything the clients in the above/below reviews say re the "Gizem" and it's manager Archie/Sharon. We like you work hard for our money and wish to spend it in clean surroundings, we are entitled to a safe and happy enviorment, we should receive at least a basic good value for money holiday - but we did not! The Gizem's manager "Archie" failed to fill his side of the contract, he has fallen way short of our expectations! He treats people as if they are beneath is shoe, I know the Gizem was at the lower end of the spectrum but, clients are still entitled to clean appts, and they should always be treated with respect. "Archie/Sharon" are both obsessed with charges for this and that, everyone who was on holiday at th time we were there said they would all write reviews on as many websites as possible to make people aware of this hell hole! book somewhere else! if you want value an basic cleanlyness!

1 Thank September007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gumbet
Ketenci Hotel
#58 of 233 in Marmaris
Sunprime Beachfront Hotel
Sunprime Beachfront Hotel
#41 of 233 in Marmaris

Been to Gizem Apartments? Share your experiences!