Narrowed it down to Turkey this year, after a fabulous trip to Skiathos last. Year. Indecisive but my partner & I chose Queens Resort, Gumbet near Bodrum.
The hotel itself reminded me of that Honda car commercial of a few years ago ….it was “OK”. The room was of a reasonable size with a separate bedroom & Kitchen/living area. It looked as if it could do with a bit of updating & the bathroom door remained locked after usage – the key had be left with us by the handy man. Our room was at the back of block A, thus providing a quiet room. However the view from our balcony was of some big air conditioning units that were very ugly & at times quite loud: not conducive to relaxing in the evenings on a balcony that we had in mind.
- The room was one of the biggest I have come across for a “resort” hotel
- The shower was large with powerful water pressure & hot water at all times
- The pool was very large & clean, and the hotel & surrounds were kept spotlessly clean by the hard working staff
- For Gumbet it was positioned at the end of the resort so benefited from a quieter aspect
- We booked through Thomas Cook & I am not sure which demographic this hotel was aimed at. During our 2 week stay the Queens Resort saw teen/twenty something groups of lads & girls (clearly in Gumbet for the nightlife and very loud during their late night/early morning returns ), families, grand parents, mature couples etc. I think Thoma Cook need to decide who they recommend/aim this hotel at.
- Crockery & saucepans – very poor/limited. We took some coffee, tea porridge etc – we struggled to prepare any hot drinks/simple breakfast due to a lack of bowls, cups & glasses! For a self catering option they should have these basics surely!??
- It was quiet by the pool until about midday when the inevitable loud music was played. I don’t mind a bit of Jessie J played in the background but by mid afternoon Euro techno Pop at full blast is not my scene – Sorry I’m an old grumpy 46 year old!!
Luckily the Gumbert Beach front is a (quiet) haven of comfortable loungers, sandy beach & cooling seas. I can recommend the Hotel Ba Ba (Thomas Cook hotel like the Queens Resort). The sun loungers are free as long you order drinks/food from their bar. The staff at the Ba Ba were not pushy at requesting drinks orders so we were able to relax.
A lot of the restaurants seemed to be competing with the all inclusive resorts by serving all variations of food – Turkish, Italian, Indian, Chinese, Mexican etc. thus they were jack of all, but master of none. However in Gumbet I can recommend The Royal (next to the Queens Resort) & The Shaghai - both on the main road so can be a bit noisy. Also the The Angel down on the beach (nice setting/sunset)
For better restaurants we had to go further a field – In Bodrum I would recommend The Place and Blanca (on the sea front with views of the Castle) also La Villa in Turgutreis.
Our Best Beach: Bitez beach (the next bay over from Gumbet) was great – a quieter resort, but sun loungers crowded together
Our Best Night Out: Into Bodrum: Shops, Marina, Restaurants & Castle!
Our Best Trip: Turgutreis: Saturday market is interesting. Make sure you go to the real/local one as well as the tourist one selling fake goods!
Our Best Restaurant – Blanca in Bodrum more expensive, but food, wine & the views were good
Our Best Experience: Visiting Bodrum Castle / using the inexpensive Dolmus buses to visit Bitez, Turgutreis
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dear Guest, Please note that there will be fancy dress party in our hotel every week during this summer. Please bring your own costumes. Management ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Queen Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Queen Hotel Gumbet