“What do people want ?”

Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Ortakent
london
“What do people want ?”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Just got back from a weeks holiday at the portofino with my wife and daughter.. We read all the reviews before we went and thought what are we letting ourselves in for.Well, to say we were very surprised is an understatement.. We arrived mid afternoon and was met by a very friendly Peter behind reception. We were told our room was a special promo room on the 4th floor but we could upgrade. We looked at both rooms and decided to upgrade and have a fridge in the room. This was arranged for a fee, which like everything else in Turkey is to be expected.we also had to have another bed put in which they did with no hassle.They offered us a free drink whilst they sorted the room out. The room itself was fine, no peeling wallpaper or hanging electrical as many people had put.
The room was cleaned everyday and towels were changed at least twice a week..The staff were friendly especially Surkan who often made us a late night cup of coffee after we had been out. Even the young guys who couldn't speak english very well did their best to help.
We booked half board so that we weren't tied to the hotel and could eat out for lunch, yes the food wasn't wonderful and yes you do get fed up with salads every night, but it was edible Speaking to a few different people who were staying at better hotels they had the same thoughts about the food there. .If you want an english breakfast there are no shortage of cheap places to eat near the hotel.
The hotel itself has a small pool and not a lot of sunbeds BUT you are only 50mts from the beach where there are plenty of sunbeds and parasols.The location is excellent, you are a five minute walk from the canal and square where there are no shortage of bars and restaraunts , especially Venice and Majestic, both have good food, great stuff and a good nights entertainment. The local bus (dolmouch) stops right outside the hotel and runs about every five minutes or so
Like the old adage says you get what you pay for. Yes,the portofino isn't 5* luxury, but if you just want somewhere to rest your weary head and clean up its fine.

Room Tip: dont take the promo rooms on the roof
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank algarvecoffee

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Hotel Portofıno ıs ıdeally located one mınutes walk away from the beach and two mınutes from the center of Icmeler.

There are 50 rooms at the hotel coverıng 4 floors. The receptıon area ıs open 24 hours a day.

The room I stayed ın was a double room. The room was a good sıze, bathroom was very clean and the room also had a balcony

wıth chaırs overlookıng the beach. The bedsheets were clean on arıval and changed every other day by the polıte and

frıendly cleanıng staff. Fresh towels daıly, floors were swept and wıped.

The meals on offer are located wıthın the resturant not far from the receptıon, you can eat your meals ınsıde or out, there

are plenty of tables whıch are clean and comfortable

Breakfast ıs served from 8am tıl 10am, thıs ıncluded breads, meats, fresh fruıt, hot drınks and a varıety of jucıes.
Lunch ıs served from 1pm tıl 2pm, thıs ıncluded a varıty of local dıshes, cooked meats ın sauces wıth several types of

rıce.
Dınner ıs from 7:30pm tıl 9pm and ıs pretty much the same format as lunch although the meats are dıfferent.

Coffe ıs served between 4:30pm and 5pm.

The bar and pool area ıs very nıce, wıth plenty of sun loungers. The bar ıs well stocked and ıncludes beers, wınes, soft

drınks and spırts.

Overall, I found Hotel Portofıno a very nıce place to stay, the receptıon and bar staff are very frıendly. I would recommend

thıs hotel to anyone plannıng to vısıt Icmeler.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank RyanHodge
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We stayed 14 nights at the portofino hotel,the staff were very well mannered and couldnt do enough for us from day 1 to 14,food was excellent plenty to choose from, the rooms were cleaned on a daily basis,as for the hotel decor there was nothing at all wrong with it,(there are no papered walls in turkey,) its emulsion paint they use as in all hot countries.)If u dont like the heat, sit in the shade, dont like salad dont eat it, dont like the beer, drink water or tea. The only complaint i have was with a few Polish couples who thought every one around them were to be treated like sh------e and iam referring to the 50 age upwards, the young Polish nationals were brilliant.we met 2 older couples from Penzance who were brill(Pat,willie,cant remember andPeter aka Jimmy) just like to say "hi there" also to Wendy n Stewart, who were cool.Booked for 2013

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Graeme W
Monmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012

i have never stayed in such a dirty hotel in all my life the tiles was falling off the wall the food was discusting warmed up chicken from the night before the drinks was a joke only 4 shorts they had you could not have more than 2 at a time and if you drunk them to fast you would have the look that could kill we stuck it out for 3 days but had to move at our own expence please do not go to this hotel you would be better off sleeping on the beach

Room Tip: there is no good room go 300 yards to the mersoy hotel instead
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank paul s

Travellers are raving about these Ortakent hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We spend 2 holidays a year in Ichmeyler and we are always pleased with our hotel and accomodation. In May we stayed at the Portofino which was like faulty towers !! The rooms were inadequate hanging electrical wires, Wallpaper peeling of the walls.. The head receptionist who spoke very good english was not interested in any complaints but could upgrade your room for a price of course. We met the manager and spotted the owners around the place but it was no help.

We were lucky we only booked for B & B as it was pretty disgusting, I love turkish breakfast but what they served was not what turkish nationals would find as acceptable. Cold drinks were served in tatty plastic containers, there was no fresh pastries just roughly cut up tomatoes and cucumber. We met quite a few of the residents who had paid for all inclusive and we were told that food left was served the following day. The only good thing we gained was we found a brillant hotel right next door and it is a good location. If you are reading all this reviews and unsure dont spoil your holiday by taking the risk and staying at the Portofino.

Room Tip: Just dont book at the Portofino save your money and sanity !
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank UkSU
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I've travelled many times to Turkey in various resorts and various accomodations, so I have plenty to compare to. This hotel comes out tops for me and my daughter who travelled alone and felt 100% safe all the times. In past visits we have been treated very well by the staff and family that run this hotel and found them to be fun, friendly, kind and very genuine.

Unfortunetley on this visit my daughter had an allergic reaction to mosquito bites, which became infected and made this holiday hard for her to make the most of, however, the staff could not do more to help us, particularly when she needed to see the Doctor. They acted so fast and with genuine concern for my daughter that within 5 minutes a car was there to take us to the Doctor, I was quite shocked! They asked about her, offered support, valuable advise and could not have done more to help if they had tried!

If it wasn't for the family and staff which run the hotel as well as meeting good people, our holiday would have been a miserable one. Instead we made the most of it, still had fun, felt safe and looked after and took many happy memories home with us.

Here is what to expect from staying at this hotel:

Rooms are clean and suitable for need. Some rooms are better than others, but you get what you pay for.

Food and drink for all inclusive deal includes: Times vary depending on time of year
10am -10.30pm
Free help yourself tea, coffee, water and juice/squash
Free local drinks such as beer, vodka, whiskey, raki, gin, cola and sprite available from inside bar.
7am-9am
Turkish breakfast - (Buffet) bread, cheese, sliced meat, tomato, cucumber, olives, cerial, jam + 2 hot dishes for example: boiled, scrambled, ommlette or fried egg and sasauge.
12.30pm - 1.30pm
Buffet lunch - variety of cold salads, pasta, potato dishes, vegetable dishes, 3 hot dishes including meat and/or fish. For desert was a selection of fruit or local sweets such as baclava or other local pastry sweets
4.30pm - 5pm
Buffet style Cake and coffee time
7pm-8pm
Buffet Dinner very much the same as lunch but with different hot dishes and varied salads.

I enjoy the food here, ate at the hotel every day for all 3 meals and neither me or any one I have stayed here with had a bad tummy. I suggest that anyone taking too much advantage of the free bar, then laying in the hot sun all day may experience symptoms of tummy upset or otherwise known as a hangover!

Staff
The staff at this family run hotel are brilliant. They are warm, friendly and have a brilliant sense of humour. They are hard working and a real credit to the traditional turkish way of life, with all generations pulling together to make it a place with something for everyone.

Location
The location of this hotel could not be better. Its only a few hundred feet from the begining of the beech, it is far enough away from the busy bars and is in an area where the noise is limited to midnight. This means that it is regularly policed after midnight to ensure noise levels are low.
The area has plenty going on, with bars, restaurants and shops all within walking distance of the hotel. Most bars offer free live entertainment of one sort or another most nights.

I'd recommend a night out at Majestic for all round family entertainment, which offers a dance show every night by the staff, which is well worth seeing for a bit of light hearted entertainment. They also encourage you to join in at times!!

I'd also recommend a visit to Jasmine Jewellery near the big fountains for your personalised gold and silver designer jewellery at very good prices and ask for Memet.

If you see something you like, shop around and barter to get the best price. I bought a bag that went from £170 to £20 in a matter of seconds by standing my ground and being prepared to walk away.... then another holiday maker said she'd got one similar for £10!! Again, you get what you pay for.

I also had a peircing while I was there, I shopped around and the one that caught my eye was a guy in the underground market who advertised that he will give you the broken needle as a present. I've been cleaning it regularly and taking care of it and have had no issues or infections and am very pleased with the results... incidently, he was one of the cheaper ones too!

All in all if you are looking for luxury and to be waited on hand and foot and to have everything your own way then go somewhere else. If you are looking for a cheap get away with friendly happy people a good tan and nice food then book here!

Room Tip: pay extra for pool view room, best rooms are on the 1st 3 floors.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Michelle717
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel august 2010, for 1 week, with my g/f, my girlfriends brother and his g/f! thank god it wasn't longer! Before we went, we read reviews and there was mixed opinions! From the moment we arrived there we realised, BIG mistake, but we got the holiday on a cheap deal so we tried to be open minded! I have so much to say about our stay there but most off it bad news!!!!! Noisy at night and bin lorries etc, then prayer songs/music at all hours, no a/c so had to have patio doors open , no fans either, even when Asked at reception! Awful when temperature been 45"c+ all day, rooms were very very poor!!!!! No where near 1 star I'd rate it as!! After having a shower u felt no cleaner, the floor /wall tiles were loose /missing/ broken, and all really old facilities, the shower head fell off the first time i used it, this is just the tip of the iceberg!!! Bedroom old, dirty and ripped carpets etc, we didnt even unpack for the week we were there!! Infact the full hotel was in this state! I asked reception about the a/c not working, they said they had repaired it 3 times, I gave up asking in the end cos it clearly wasn't getting sorted! The food was terrible!!!!!! I wouldn't even call it food!!! and im by no means a fussy eater, I'd be happy with the basic pizza nd chips u usually get at all-inclusive! We ended up going up the road every morning for full English breakfast and ate out as much as possible after the first day ! Only couple of things I could probably say is that the staff were decent , although not very helpful and the location of the hotel was ok, Just couple hundred yards from the beach and centre with bars etc! Just to sum it up! I'm telling u DO NOT GO TO PORTOFINO!!!!!!!!! Ignore the good reviews!!!! Don't no how anyone can say its a good hotel!!! Your wasting your money even if u think u getting a cheap deal!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011