“Must try harder...the Zeytinada”
Review of Hotel Zeytinada

Hotel Zeytinada
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Torba
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Oh dear ! ! What a pity ! Been going to the Zeytinada for five years ,sometimes twice in the same year but sadly doubt we will go back . There is definitely one rule now for Turkish guests and another for foreigners .There was a large Turkish family staying this holiday...each morning the pool boy would reserve a row of the best placed sun beds for them with the towels he supplied . The family would enjoy a leisurely breakfast and flop down on the beds at c.11.30 then go for some lunch at one -ish , then a siesta and use some of the beds for a couple of hours between 5 and 6.30. The rest of us put up with second best .The pool boy even removed a large parasol from some Belgians and erected it over the Turks ! ! ( We also noticed that if a towel looked OK after someone had been lying on it ,he folded it recycled this onto the clean pile for unsuspecting bathers to pick up .) The Turks regularly removed food from the restaurant at virtually every meal ,no one stopped them . Just you try it and see what happens ! Likewise, an Irishman and a Frenchman walked through reception carrying supermarket bags (with water and beer ) ;the girl on reception insisted on examining them , CONFISCATING all the drinks...... to be returned the day of their departure ! ! Amazing ! Turks wandered past carrying 5 litre water bottles ! Reception now seems to have a mission statement " If we can make life more difficult for you we will do our best to do so. " The older girl is distinctly unhelpful the younger one is fine . Our air con broke ,an engineer was always "on his way ". After three sweltering days I asked for a fan, pointing to the one they were using in reception ,madame said that was the only one they had . I told her they sold them in the supermarket across the road; with a face like thunder she muttered something to a nearby waiter who unplugged the fan and brought it to our room . An aircon engineer miraculously appeared that day ! We use' Holiday Taxis' for transfers which requires confirmation of pick up time .In the past reception has always told me to leave the telephone number etc. with them since the line is often engaged and their English isn't great. This time "Miss Uncongeniality " told me to use my mobile ,since I didn't have it with me she begrudgingly let me use their counter top phone. Tried to get through for nearly an hour without luck . Did she offer to help ? Went back three times that day until the younger girl quietly said that she'd do it . Lo and behold they had a last number re dial on the behind the counter phone and she got through in five minutes ! ! I always change some money with the hotel....... not this time . The notes were new but creased and madam wouldn't accept them . We also wanted to keep our room on day of our flight ,was told to ask on day of departure . On day of departure we asked to keep same room or any room for a small fee since flight was at 00;30 > Reception gauleiter told us that we couldn't because someone was going into our room that afternoon . No one did . We checked . There were also plenty of empty rooms . Just being awkward .......and never experienced this at the Zeytinada before . Chefs and rest of staff all helpful and friendly but all the guests we met remarked on the lack of customer care at reception and a degree of regimentation that you just don't want on holiday. What's that saying about one rotten apple.............? Standard have certainly slipped .

Room Tip: Family rooms around the pool are best.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Boz-A-Brit-Abroad

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We've just returned from our holiday at the Hotel Zeytinada on first impressions we were delighted with our choice of hotel, the pool looked lovely and lots of beautiful plants and the room was superb.

The first few days went well sitting by the pool and venturing out in the evenings for meals (although our Rep. from On Holidays recommended a restaurant for the first night which was a total rip off, cost £180 for an average meal at the Marina Restaurant, Bodrum, although that's for another review). Everywhere else that we ate out at was superb, so a massive tip would be to just avoid the restaurants on the sea front, they're miles cheaper and better quality restaurants further back and as always check tripadvisor.

Back to the hotel, on the Wednesday we been down to the pool a couple times and also ventured out, before we was about to go out at night I went to get some money out of the safe only to find all our money had gone, £500 roughly. As you can imagine I was extremely annoyed about this and my wife was distraught. I'm not too sure if we had locked the safe every time we went out (although my wife was sure that we had) but at the end of the day it had been stolen at some point. This was extremely distressing for my wife as it wasn't just the money being stolen it the fact that someone had gone through our room looking for money, we suspect either the cleaners or the mini bar person.
Although this was an awful situation what made it 10 times worse was how the hotel reacted to our situation. Upon telling reception I said that the police would need to be called, they kept saying that they need to contact their managers first. So after we told them we had to sit in the reception whilst all different workers came in, looking over to at us whilst speaking in Turkish, with more and more staff coming in, this went on for way over an hour, then eventually a group of staff came over (which was extremely intimidating) and starting to interrogate us. After all this (probably 2 hours) they eventually called the police, although we didn't know they were the Police as nobody introduced them to us, they just kept speaking in Turkish. So all of this was frightening for my wife and me, after they did an inspection of the room and the Police left, at this point my wife was in floods of tears, so I asked if we could just drop the whole thing, the hotel said no as they'd called the Police.
After that we were taken to the Police station where upon arrival the Policeman pointed to a sign saying we had to pay for an interpreter, who would cost 100TL an hour. Well because my wife was so upset and we didn't want to spend any more money and probably be at the police station all night, I again asked if we could drop it, they said of course.
The hotel then made me sign a piece of paper to say they weren't responsible, which I thought was for the Police but they kept, I only signed it as I wanted to get us out of there.

The next few nights were some of the worst of our lives, because of the way it was dealt with my wife was so scared I had to to put a chair against the door at night to get any sleep. After that we just tried to stay away from the hotel as much as possible as we were so uncomfortable there and of course locked everything away in cases at all times. We also asked for no housekeeping to avoid anyone coming in, so we had to clean our own room for the rest of the holiday, not ideal but better than getting something else stolen.

I just regret that I didn't see the review about the stolen necklace as thefts are clearly a problem at the hotel. I know that can happen but it's the way you deal with situations that can make all the difference, not once did we get an apology or even a goodwill gesture to try and relieve the situation.

So to summarise would I stay at the Zeytinada again? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!!!!!!!

If you do decide to stay there or have already booked then please just be ultra careful with belongings, also if you're going on any excursions, quite often you're first picked up in Torba so can take a long time picking everyone up after, for the market it took us two hours to get there!

One disclaimer, I hope this review doesn't put people off Turkey and Bodrum as when we ventured out we had a great time, friendly people, lovely food and fantastic scenery, just please don't choose this hotel!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank steven t
ZeytinadaOtel, Satış Müdürü at Hotel Zeytinada, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Trpadvisor Team,

At first we are so sorry for the unlucky experience that our guests had in our Hotel.
As our management take information about the situation we called all of our staff for a meeting , to take information about it.
Some of our staff doen’t speak english, thats why we had to speak turkish between each other.
We called the police and they came half an hour later . They make all controls in the room and couldn’t find any marks of the thief and finger marks on the safety deposit box.
The safety deposit box were not broken and nobody can open the safe box without password.
The police ask if the guest want lodge a complaint they have to need a sworn interpreter .They didn’t accept the english translation of our Front Office Manager and ask for a official interpreter who costs 100,00 TL per hour.
The guest’s didn’t want to pay this amount and give up to make a complaint at the police Office.
The guests told us to drop the subject if we give them a letter where we confirm the thiefness and that they lost 500 pounds .. So they want to take their money back from there insurance.

We didn’t accept this because we are not responsible for stolen Money when the guests are not sureif they close their safe deposit box.

Our Hotel is existing since 13 years and we didn’t have any situations like this.

We have a respectable score on tripadvisor where most of our guests write there satisfactions and we are unhappy to read a claim like this.

Kind regards,

Hotel Zeytinada Management

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Came back on Tuesday after a week at this hotel. Set in beautiful gardens, and it was far higher than our expectations. Pool and gardens are beautiful with the outdoors restaurant overlooking the pool area. Quiet hotel, so it was perfect for us. The food was excellent as were the staff, friendly and helpful. I would certainly recommend this hotel and would definitely re-visit. 5 mins on the hotel shuttle bus to the beach. Prices of food and drink were very pricey at the beach. 15 mins by bus into Bodrum. Housekeeping were a bit confused some days but other than that, the hotel was just lovely and was a real bargain for what we paid.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the pool and garden area.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

Staying at hotel at moment, would recommend this place, very clean and peaceful.
They have given me a free upgrade which my girlfriend and I are very grateful for.
Hotel is nice just a 10 min bus ride to bodrum.
I would recommend this place for couples who want a peaceful hoilday.
Theres not any entertainment and if your on a stag or hen party this hotel would definitely not be suitable.
Food ok to bad and if I where to complain it would be in this category. They charge a lot for mini bar and extras and if they see you taking food to your room they will take it of you.
They have ping pong but bats need replacing they have a good tennis court but buy/bring your own balls as there's must be about 5 years old and don't bounce
But the positives outnumber the negatives here.
If you want a peaceful hoilday in a clean modern hotel with good cleaning standards this is the place to come.
And dont forget to haggle in shops and markets your save a fortune and book your boat trips at the harbour direct rather the tour desks around bodrum

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were in love with this hotel before we arrived and once in Turkey were over the moon with the hotel. Whilst other holiday makers had this or that to moan about, we thought the hotel was great, lovely room, good food - generally we were really pleased. However, a necklace (with strong sentimental value) was taken from our room. On complaining to reception, they were unhelpful and acted disinterested. On the return to the UK, I made a formal complaint and did not receive a response/acknowledgement until I prompted the hotel to respond. Really disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank PGO70
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a weeks stay here.

Location was great, close to the beach (10 mins walking) and opposite the mini market and 10 mins into bodrum on dolmas.

Food was healthy and a good representation of Turkish cuisine. The only pitiful was that the hot dishes were sometimes cold.

The room was clean and bright however the sofa bed was hard and we nicknamed it the stale bread bed as it was as hard as a stale loaf.

The area itself is small, beautiful and quaint. The cost of things have risen in the last two years, making the price of things not much cheaper then the uk.

We went on the diamond cruise and dream girls excursion, both were good fun and quite affordable.

Overall a great holiday, customer service could be improved as some staff lacked charisma and warmth. Ebru was a credit to the team.

We would return to the hotel again as it is good value for what it has to offer, a few Tweaks could make this an outstanding hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Wow what an amazing place, loved every minute. The food was excellent the staff were very attentive nothing was too much trouble.the rooms were lovely modern very clean better than some here in the uk. Only 1 little gripe, there was no tea and coffee making facilities, but you can smuggle 1 in. Dinner is served by the pool under candle light very romantic setting, torba is really quiet but you can hop on a mini bus right outside the hotel and go to bodrom town only a 10 minute ride for a pound, here you will find a lovely harbour lively restaurant s and bars they run until 5am daily. This holiday was perfect and highly recommend ed for couples wanting a romantic relaxing holiday. Stayed 9th-16 september 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sharon T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torba
Hotel Samara
#1 of 98 in Bodrum City
Sina Otel
Sina Otel
#13 of 24 in Torba

Been to Hotel Zeytinada? Share your experiences!