“A great holiday”

Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Torba
Dundee, United Kingdom
“A great holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed here recently as part of a group on a walking holiday. I really cannot find fault with the Zeytinada, the bedrooms and the food were excellent with a wide choice for both breakfast and evening meal. The staff were hardworking and always ready to go the extra mile. The gardens are beautiful and the spa with traditional Turkish bath also provides the opportunity to relax. The hotel is a short walk from Torba harbour with cafes, bars and local shops. Bodrum is a half hour bus ride from the hotel. Ideal for a peaceful, relaxing holiday.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank WillDownie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Godalming, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

This hotel is a real gem and we absolutely loved every minute of our 10-day stay. It's beautifully landscaped, full of well kept plants. I would recommend this place to those looking for a quiet and laid back break although perhaps it won't appeal to those looking for lots of entertainment. Food was absolutely amazing every single day, rooms and pool lovely and clean, staff very friendly and other guests - mostly Dutch and German - really nice.

We stayed in a suite overlooking the pool area and it was really worth paying a little more for the luxury of extra space. The room was nicely decorated and clean (I believe the hotel was recently renovated) and the balcony stunning, surrounded by flowers and palm trees which are meticulously cared for by the local gardener. I spent considerable amount of time at the balcony every day while our two-year-old napped and loved reading there. We visited the hotel at the beginning of May and it was very quiet, it's possible that during high season it may feel a bit busy as it's rather small but I would think there is plenty of space for everyone - the hotel has a spa with a wonderful hamam plus a second pool with deck chair area tucked away around the corner from the spa.

The hotel is a short, 10-minute drive from Bodrum, regular dolmus mini buses leave from outside the hotel entrance and cost 3TL, which is very cheap. We went to Bodrum three times and couldn't get enough of it, it's a beautiful town with lots to see, especially the castle deserves thorough attention. Unfortunately as we have a small child we didn't get a chance to visit Ephesus or Milas or Didyma but they are all relatively close.

Torba itself is a lovely fishing village with lots of restaurants serving local food for reasonable prices. For those bored with the pool at the hotel there is an option of spending a day at the beach where the restaurants provide deck chairs and drinks. The beach is pebbly but nice and the sea is wonderfully clean.

It was our first trip to Turkey and we loved it so much that we want to go back as soon as we can, maybe even this year, and definitely to the same hotel. We chose Zeytinada because it isn't a box standard holiday resort offering AI catering - we've been to one of those once and we don't want to see them ever again - and we got exactly what we wanted: beautiful hotel, great food, very relaxing atmosphere.

Room Tip: go for a suite if you travel with kids!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank A_W285
Saltash, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Went to the Zeytinada last year for an end of summer get away.

Hotel staff were very polite and helpful, especially when organising taxis or excursions for the day.

The room was standard double and was bigger/better than we had anticipated, very nice decor, huge walk in shower and nice balcony view.

The pool area is great, always clean, fresh towels etc. Well done the pool guy! I don't think he ever stopped.

We went half board, and although the breakfast was similar everyday, the evening meal was always fantastic the three times we ate there. The rest of the week we ventured to Bodrum for the evening (£1 on a bus, 10 mins away).

Drinks are a little pricey, hence we wished we bought the all inclusive option. But still its nothing to complain to the staff for.

One bad point is we had to check out at midday and the flight wasn't until later in the evening. Yes the Zeytinada let us stay, use the pool, the showers etc as this is normal in a lot of cases…….. BUT, we had to settle our bill on the check out time at midday and if wanted anything from the restaurant/bar, we had to pay VISITORS prices Even though we had just spent a week there… Everything was 5 times the price, even a can of coke or a bottle of water.

All in all, with that being the only criticism, it was a great week away, great hotel, great location and great staff.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PO6927
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

Went there in September 2013, for a romantic break to escape the big city of London.

Hotel was perfectly well maintained. Excellent staff, highly professional, kind , polite, helpful, well spoken with a good level of Enlgish.

On the downside - drinks wer expensive but expect to pay in a hotel at this level. Solution- most rooms have balconies ( if you get one without, they will move you at their earliest convenience), opposite the hotel is a supermarket where one can purchase drinks and snacks so there is a choice of variation if you don't feel like paying each evening at the bar.

Just outside the hotel, there is a frequent bus service to the local villages and Bodrum which costs only about 1.5 Euro

I recommend a restaurants down at the beach with traditional turkish kebabs at great prices and some of the finest meze.

Overall - yes I would go back to the hotel, it was one of the best ones I have been to with excellence and attention to detail in every way !

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank anna m
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Ok - first a couple of things about the hotel. The best receptionist was Taemon - he welcomed us and made us smile. However apart from him and a young male staff member who helped on security and with luggage the staff appeared uninterested in us and whether we were enjoying our stay. We like to know who is in charge and to be smiled at when we are on holiday.

The Hotel grounds are filled with greenery and flowers, the pools are clean and lovely. Everything was very well kept. The reception area and nearby sitting areas are beautiful. We really enjoyed the table tennis.

The breakfasts by the pool were very enjoyable and the evening meal provided plenty of variety - but food could be hotter.

Torba is not what it was since The Voyage took over the Bay. However, the dolmus to Bodrum is quick and efficient. There are lots of large stray dogs in Torba and they bark through the night. However, you don't hear them from The Zeytinada but you do hear the cockerels - which we quite liked. We had a bedroom and lounge - clean, cool and modern - good size for a couple.

I would recommend the hotel but it would have been a far happier week for us if the staff had seemed to care about our enjoyment.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Elainer24
Beverley ,UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Oh dear ! ! What a pity ! Been going to the Zeytinada for five years ,sometimes twice in the same year but sadly doubt we will go back . There is definitely one rule now for Turkish guests and another for foreigners .There was a large Turkish family staying this holiday...each morning the pool boy would reserve a row of the best placed sun beds for them with the towels he supplied . The family would enjoy a leisurely breakfast and flop down on the beds at c.11.30 then go for some lunch at one -ish , then a siesta and use some of the beds for a couple of hours between 5 and 6.30. The rest of us put up with second best .The pool boy even removed a large parasol from some Belgians and erected it over the Turks ! ! ( We also noticed that if a towel looked OK after someone had been lying on it ,he folded it recycled this onto the clean pile for unsuspecting bathers to pick up .) The Turks regularly removed food from the restaurant at virtually every meal ,no one stopped them . Just you try it and see what happens ! Likewise, an Irishman and a Frenchman walked through reception carrying supermarket bags (with water and beer ) ;the girl on reception insisted on examining them , CONFISCATING all the drinks...... to be returned the day of their departure ! ! Amazing ! Turks wandered past carrying 5 litre water bottles ! Reception now seems to have a mission statement " If we can make life more difficult for you we will do our best to do so. " The older girl is distinctly unhelpful the younger one is fine . Our air con broke ,an engineer was always "on his way ". After three sweltering days I asked for a fan, pointing to the one they were using in reception ,madame said that was the only one they had . I told her they sold them in the supermarket across the road; with a face like thunder she muttered something to a nearby waiter who unplugged the fan and brought it to our room . An aircon engineer miraculously appeared that day ! We use' Holiday Taxis' for transfers which requires confirmation of pick up time .In the past reception has always told me to leave the telephone number etc. with them since the line is often engaged and their English isn't great. This time "Miss Uncongeniality " told me to use my mobile ,since I didn't have it with me she begrudgingly let me use their counter top phone. Tried to get through for nearly an hour without luck . Did she offer to help ? Went back three times that day until the younger girl quietly said that she'd do it . Lo and behold they had a last number re dial on the behind the counter phone and she got through in five minutes ! ! I always change some money with the hotel....... not this time . The notes were new but creased and madam wouldn't accept them . We also wanted to keep our room on day of our flight ,was told to ask on day of departure . On day of departure we asked to keep same room or any room for a small fee since flight was at 00;30 > Reception gauleiter told us that we couldn't because someone was going into our room that afternoon . No one did . We checked . There were also plenty of empty rooms . Just being awkward .......and never experienced this at the Zeytinada before . Chefs and rest of staff all helpful and friendly but all the guests we met remarked on the lack of customer care at reception and a degree of regimentation that you just don't want on holiday. What's that saying about one rotten apple.............? Standard have certainly slipped .

Room Tip: Family rooms around the pool are best.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Boz-A-Brit-Abroad
Staines, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

We've just returned from our holiday at the Hotel Zeytinada on first impressions we were delighted with our choice of hotel, the pool looked lovely and lots of beautiful plants and the room was superb.

The first few days went well sitting by the pool and venturing out in the evenings for meals (although our Rep. from On Holidays recommended a restaurant for the first night which was a total rip off, cost £180 for an average meal at the Marina Restaurant, Bodrum, although that's for another review). Everywhere else that we ate out at was superb, so a massive tip would be to just avoid the restaurants on the sea front, they're miles cheaper and better quality restaurants further back and as always check tripadvisor.

Back to the hotel, on the Wednesday we been down to the pool a couple times and also ventured out, before we was about to go out at night I went to get some money out of the safe only to find all our money had gone, £500 roughly. As you can imagine I was extremely annoyed about this and my wife was distraught. I'm not too sure if we had locked the safe every time we went out (although my wife was sure that we had) but at the end of the day it had been stolen at some point. This was extremely distressing for my wife as it wasn't just the money being stolen it the fact that someone had gone through our room looking for money, we suspect either the cleaners or the mini bar person.
Although this was an awful situation what made it 10 times worse was how the hotel reacted to our situation. Upon telling reception I said that the police would need to be called, they kept saying that they need to contact their managers first. So after we told them we had to sit in the reception whilst all different workers came in, looking over to at us whilst speaking in Turkish, with more and more staff coming in, this went on for way over an hour, then eventually a group of staff came over (which was extremely intimidating) and starting to interrogate us. After all this (probably 2 hours) they eventually called the police, although we didn't know they were the Police as nobody introduced them to us, they just kept speaking in Turkish. So all of this was frightening for my wife and me, after they did an inspection of the room and the Police left, at this point my wife was in floods of tears, so I asked if we could just drop the whole thing, the hotel said no as they'd called the Police.
After that we were taken to the Police station where upon arrival the Policeman pointed to a sign saying we had to pay for an interpreter, who would cost 100TL an hour. Well because my wife was so upset and we didn't want to spend any more money and probably be at the police station all night, I again asked if we could drop it, they said of course.
The hotel then made me sign a piece of paper to say they weren't responsible, which I thought was for the Police but they kept, I only signed it as I wanted to get us out of there.

The next few nights were some of the worst of our lives, because of the way it was dealt with my wife was so scared I had to to put a chair against the door at night to get any sleep. After that we just tried to stay away from the hotel as much as possible as we were so uncomfortable there and of course locked everything away in cases at all times. We also asked for no housekeeping to avoid anyone coming in, so we had to clean our own room for the rest of the holiday, not ideal but better than getting something else stolen.

I just regret that I didn't see the review about the stolen necklace as thefts are clearly a problem at the hotel. I know that can happen but it's the way you deal with situations that can make all the difference, not once did we get an apology or even a goodwill gesture to try and relieve the situation.

So to summarise would I stay at the Zeytinada again? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!!!!!!!

If you do decide to stay there or have already booked then please just be ultra careful with belongings, also if you're going on any excursions, quite often you're first picked up in Torba so can take a long time picking everyone up after, for the market it took us two hours to get there!

One disclaimer, I hope this review doesn't put people off Turkey and Bodrum as when we ventured out we had a great time, friendly people, lovely food and fantastic scenery, just please don't choose this hotel!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank steven t
ZeytinadaOtel, Satış Müdürü at Hotel Zeytinada, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Trpadvisor Team,

At first we are so sorry for the unlucky experience that our guests had in our Hotel.
As our management take information about the situation we called all of our staff for a meeting , to take information about it.
Some of our staff doen’t speak english, thats why we had to speak turkish between each other.
We called the police and they came half an hour later . They make all controls in the room and couldn’t find any marks of the thief and finger marks on the safety deposit box.
The safety deposit box were not broken and nobody can open the safe box without password.
The police ask if the guest want lodge a complaint they have to need a sworn interpreter .They didn’t accept the english translation of our Front Office Manager and ask for a official interpreter who costs 100,00 TL per hour.
The guest’s didn’t want to pay this amount and give up to make a complaint at the police Office.
The guests told us to drop the subject if we give them a letter where we confirm the thiefness and that they lost 500 pounds .. So they want to take their money back from there insurance.

We didn’t accept this because we are not responsible for stolen Money when the guests are not sureif they close their safe deposit box.

Our Hotel is existing since 13 years and we didn’t have any situations like this.

We have a respectable score on tripadvisor where most of our guests write there satisfactions and we are unhappy to read a claim like this.

Kind regards,