“Casa del local pool” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Torba
Uk
“Casa del local pool”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived to a room without a proper front door, more like a balcony door. Door was broken and safe wasn't working. It took a couple of trips down to reception to get moved to another room with a functioning safe.

Once settled into our new room (with balcony type door/ not a real front door) it was clean and spacious with a nice living room area. Bathroom was sizeable without being extravagant. Nice cold fridge/ mini bar although incredibly expensive.

After sorting ourselves out we went down to the bar area for a nice cold drink. A diet coke was about £8!! That's for a can (330ml) not a gallon.

Slept well in the comfortable bed.

The next day we wanted to get out of the sun for an hour so went up to our room to get under the aircon. The door was left unlocked, after expressing our concerns about the lack of security already this was incredible. We let the manageress (another layer of management) know about this and she said she would investigate how this had happened. The next day she confirmed it had been left unlocked by a cleaner. If we had a proper door in the first place this wouldn't have been an issue.

BREAKFAST

Included in our price for staying was a Buffet breakfast. On offer were a selection of Fruits, Pastries, Meats, Cheese, Juices etc etc. it's a really good breakfast buffet and there is also a chef on hand should you want an omelette or eggs another way. Only thing I would say is that it seems some of the fruit, especially the melon seemed like it may have been refrigerated and put back out on the buffet for 2 - 4 days at a time.
The coffee on offer is also sub standard.

LUNCH

Good diverse menu with Turkish Bites, Salads, Italian Food and some fast food. The portions are quite big, we ended up sharing in the end because of that. Unfortunately bottled water is £5 which considering the heat is disgusting. The food prices are slightly over the top but the food at lunch was of a decent standard.

DINNER

We ate in the restaurant for dinner once and it was a total disaster. Set on the jetty there were a number of tables free but we were told to sit on a particular table which was where all the cables were for lighting the jetty. Not the safest place to sit over water. We weren't comfortable here and asked to be moved, the management wouldn't have it and proceeded to say "it's safe, it's safe". In the end they moved the cables next to us rather than under our table. We still were none to comfortable and requested to be moved to another table but the one we asked for we were told was reserved for 3 people and therefore we couldn't. Bored arguing we sat and waited to order for 15 mins. You could see some of the younger junior members of staff wanted to come over to take our drinks order but it seemed at dinner time the senior staff take your order. In the end we ordered lasagna and a bottle of red wine, with some expensive water as mentioned above.

The food finally arrived and it wasn't even cooked through in the middle. Still frozen from the freezer (remember this is allegedly a 5* hotel!). We advised the issue and it seemed the senior staff were more frustrated with us rather than us at their incompetence. In the end they said we couldn't have lasagna and we must choose something else. We chose spaghetti bolognese, you can't that wrong can you?!

The spaghetti turned up and again it was it wasn't hot enough, just about edible. The last few spoonfuls were hard as it was stone cold by then.

We signed the bill and left.

GENERAL SERVICE

It seemed the only times we had issues within the hotel were when the more senior staff were involved. All of the junior/ younger members were lovely and most importantly competent at their jobs. After our disastrous dinner the night before we went down to Breakfast and found loads of people at breakfast that weren't even staying at the hotel. We walked around looking for a seat in the shade but there weren't any available. One of the senior staff (present at dinner) pointed at the seats in the sun and we advised we wanted the shade, he then gesticulated rudely with his hand at me, I'm generally quite patient but this tipped me over the edge and we had a heated exchange. Another senior member came over to find out the issue and as we explained the other waiter was shouting over about the lasagna the night before. Anyhow, the the other waiter sorted us out with some shade thankfully and brought over 2 cocktails the next day to apologise which was nice of him but it was too late by then.

GENERAL NOISE

I have read reviews on Tripadvisor about noise from other hotels in the evening. To be truthful, when the aircon is on in the room you can't hear it so it's not an issue. What they may want to look at is how loud the music gets later in the afternoon, with the hotel next door turned up to the max it's like they compete to see who can have the loudest music. They should remember this is supposed to be a luxury resort not some naff bar in Bodrum Bar Street.

CLEANLINESS

The rooms were always clean but the patio wasn't sweeped once during our 2 week stay. The pool wasn't clean, a couple of times we pointed out to staff and they came over and cleaned it straight away.

This hotel has so much potential it's just unfortunate the senior members of staff seem to run it as a local friends and family holiday resort.

On checking out there was yet another drama. Another member of the senior management (yes another one) stood with 4 other staff whilst we had to go through our bill. At no point have we ever seen anything about service being additional. They didn't even mention it when we had to go through the bill until we kept saying "so what's this". They agreed to remove it. There was also a receipt for a coffee and 4 espressos which we didn't have and finally a Toblerone from the mini bar even though one of us has a nut allergy. The guy was so rude and arrogant it was incredible.

A good tip for people if you still want to stay here is to use the shop opposite the hotel. Water was only 30p for a normal bottle. Ice lollies and cold drinks including diet coke cans for less than a pound

Despite it's lovely and beautiful setting the senior management let us down and when you pay a certain price for a hotel you want the service to follow. That didn't happen and tainted our stay.

I will not return.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Greglarr83
Casadellarte, Sahibi at Casa Dell'Arte, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Usually the management of our hotel responds to our reviews, but since most of your review and discontent was focused on the owner, aka myself, I felt it was my responsibility to respond to your comments.

I noticed that both you and your spouse made 2 different comments. I will answering both with more carefully selected words than you used in your review.

First of all thank you for taking the time to review our property and taking such a long time to write about us, even though most were negatives.

Despite the fact that we are a trip advisor Excellency award winner every year and number 1 rated property in Torba, I will make it a point to improve the negative issues.
Some points to correct: we never claim to be a 5-star property, we are a boutique hotel.
Casa dell’Arte was created as an art collector’s home, so we want all our guests feel like they were the guests of a collector rather than staying in a 5-star property.

We are also not the cheapest property in Bodrum, never claimed to be one, but we are dedicated to provide the best service/value to our guests along with personal attention and we have been applying the service charge since the beginning, “so we were not trying it on you”, but we cannot force any of our guests to pay the charge who thinks we are not worthy of it.

Our pool which you claim to be dirty is being cleaned with ionized water treatment system, which is the latest technology you can have . You may be right that at times the pool is crowded with guest children, after all , our name is family resort, but there is always the option of using the jetty and the sea for guests who are looking for quieter areas.

Our music and dj is one of our most favored futures as you can see from previous guest comments. We are known to be a chilled resort with pleasant music. The only time of the day the music gets loud is during happy hour between 4 and 5 in the afternoon, again upon the request of our guests who want to have a more active happy hour time. I am sorry that my dancing during that time bothered you, but I enjoy life and music and I am not going to stop it because you happened not to like the choice.

I cannot however agree with your comments on owner’s friends and all attention being around us and let me explain you why ;

Casa dell’arte comprises of 2 properties, the residence section which is a more upscale property with only 12 suites, no children and outside guests are allowed in this property and the Luxury family resort, which is designed for families with children. We do also own the Greenlife villas at the back of the hotel. This is a property designed for like-minded people, who want to share their summer vacation memories and raise their children together just like in the old times. The tenants of Greenlife also use the Family resort beach club and they pay for services they use. In addition, the hotel’s beach club is open to outside guests with a daily beach usage fee.

70 percent of our guests are repeat guests, they come every year, that is why most of them and hence myself know each other and that is why our children know each other well. So another words every person who stays at my property is my friend and our guest. I also couldn’t understand, how you figured out who was a paying guest and who was not paying at my property. As the owner of the property, I enjoy sharing the same table with our guests when invited, that doesn’t necessarily mean that they are not paying for the service they receive, nor should it be a concern of yours. We are also very open to making new friends, I am sorry I did not get to meet you personally.

Clearly we did not manage to make you feel welcome enough and you felt as if you were intruding

After reading your comments, I am the one who felt that my goodwill and hospitality was exploited, because I value all our guests and make an effort to make them leave our property with a smile on their face. I feel violated when you put me on the spot for being friendly with our guests. This is against the Turkish hospitality tradition In addition, more than 70 percent of our guests come from outside of Turkey, we love both our Turkish and non-Turkish guests and we try to give them the best hospitality they deserve. Sometimes we succeed, sometimes we don’t, but we always try our best.

So now I have two choices:

1) I can take these bitter consecutive comments that were made by yourself and your spouse as a wake up call, stop interacting with our guests, get to know them better, have fun with them , introduce them to each other. This will turn our hotel into a cold, impersonal property with no differentiating aspect
2) Or I can continue to welcome everybody that walks into casa dell’arte with open arms, positive attitude, friendship and humility. We can become good friends, enjoy our summer vacations together, watch our children grow up , have fun, dance, share art and enjoy life .
I think I will just continue to the second one. This is what I have been doing since the beginning; this is what makes casa dell arte so unique and loved. This is what makes us happy and I suggest that you do the same for yourself and find a as many reasons as you wish to go to another hotel , which will satisfy your needs for a perfect holiday.

Yours sincerely,
Ahu Serter
Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Massively disappointed and disgusted by the way this hotel treated us. We are two professionals from London who have regularly come to turkey on holiday. We had high hopes for this hotel having previously stayed in 4teasons in yalikvak and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel, we expected this to be even better considering it was costing us more money.

Instead it felt a little more like a Turkish holiday camp/locals swimming pool. With customers like us paying £200 per night to some paying £600 in the residence you do not expect the hotel to open up to the public. Turkish friends of theirs would be dropped off in the morning with all their kids in tow and take over the hotel and did not pay as the charges as the sign on the door for the 'beach club' indicates. This created a very clicky atmosphere and made us feel like we were intruding on the the hotel owners garden party. Monday to Wednesday was reasonably relaxed but from thurs to Sunday it was was overun. As all the children seemed to know each other it was like a school outing around the pool, at times we couldn't even get in the pool as was just too many of them. Service would orientated around them and we became invisible. Paying guests are bottom of their priority list. In fact the way we was treated you would think we were the non paying guests.

We arrived into this atmosphere which they are obviously aware of because the guy showing us around mentioned they had a lot of public around that day. Around 4pm on these days the chilled out music would suddenly turn into very loud electro/house, probably to draw them in. At which point we would disappear to our room. We are in our 30s so not old but found this music over top and not enjoyable, they sell themselves as a relaxed chill out hotel but this was more like something from Ibiza. Seems like the only person enjoying the loud music was the owner dancing around by the bar.

Upon arrival our safe did not work and then also noticed that our patio door seemed to have a massive gap when closed. I had to run back and forth to reception who finally agreed to move us to the room opposite, again we had a patio door as the entrance, would prefer a room with a proper door for entry as feels safer. The patio door did not automatically lock like a door could and on one occasion upon returning to our room from the pool found our door left unlocked by the cleaner. Anyone could have entered our room, disappointed we highlighted this to reception.

Main issue with the hotel is the price. Usually we spend a fair amount during our hotel stays but the drink prices were sky high. We are from London and are used to paying high prices for alcohol but do not expect to come go turkey and pay more for a gin and tonic than what we would at home! They didn't have any local alcohol as a cheaper option so with a £10 price tag per drink we opted out of using the beautiful bar. Seems like everyone thought the same as never once saw anyone using the bar in the evening. As a good comparison in 4teasons a local gin was around 17L and a imported gin around 25L giving you options. Casa dell'arte 30L to 35L Rip off.
£5 for 750ml glass bottle of water. Extortionate. I only ever pay that price for water in a 3 Michelin starred restaurant! Water is a essential and should not be priced so high, especially without a tap water alternative.

They have live music on a Friday night so decided to eat in the hotel on the jetty which was full with usual owners friends and staff from Hotel. Again, invisible we weren't greeted when we arrived, finally we were seated and waited 20mins for a menu and drink order, we realised we were the only table seated beneath the plugs and electricity cables that look unsafe, we asked to move but they wouldn't let us as the nearby tables were reserved for 3 (but then saw they actually were given to tables of two). We orders mains, which turned up cold, obviously cooked straight from the freezer, we swapped for another main which then came out Luke warm so just proceeded as it was at least edible and couldn't be bothered anymore! Worst night and worst meal during our stay. We left promptly so they could continue to serve their friends.

To top that off the following morning we came down for breakfast which was heaving with non residents and the only tables available were in the sun, so we waited for a free table, just about to sit down and a Turkish family swooped in, one of the managers tried to seat us on a table in the sun, when we politely declined in return he waved a rude hand gesture. Absolutely disgusted at this, one of English speaking managers sensed our upset and found us a seat and later gave us a cocktail on the house which we felt was a too little too late, if we hadn't already paid in full we would have left the hotel that instance and found a proper hotel.

Would like to highligth that the waiters who wear the uniforms are very pleasant and welcoming it's 5 levels of management above them that lack manners.

I have to agree with others, I do not think this should be classed as a 5star hotel, the residence could pass as 5star but the family resort is without a doubt a 4star. Maybe the residence should be for all paying customers and the family resort used for their friends and locals??

The floor of our room felt dirty, bathroom and shower was basic and the pool turned our swimwear green (too much chlorine) and wasn't cleaned, there was napkins in the pool which disintegrated into bits of tissue and sand in the bottom. Not as luxurious we expected and I think the biggest issue was the fact we felt out of place. I think they need I decide whether they want to service their guests or their friends and family? They have such lovely surroundings and amazing artwork, they have a great set up for an amazing boutique retreat but it's ruined by their attitude.

Lots of reviews mention the noise from voyage, this wasn't a problem at all, casa hotel bar was the only annoying noise in the day and also the hotel next door 'la boutique' sometimes seemed to have competitions with music volumes but otherwise fine.

Bus to bodrum is easy, stops outside the hotel every 10mins, journey is around 10mins to bodrum and it cost 3L and runs till 3am. We did this most nights as the hotel was absolutely dead, probably because their friends had proceeded to their cars and gone home!

The last hurdle, when we left to check out we had the eagle eyes of 5 members of staff around us, which felt very intimidating, to our surprise, one of the managers who hadn't even acknowledged us for the whole holiday was there waiting for us to sign our bill. Our bill was presented to us with additional items we simply had not had, I.e coffees and a toberlone from our mini bar... which i most definitely didnt eat because I have a nut allergy! Worst of all on every single transaction even for just a bottle of water at the bar they had added on 12% service charge to. We had not been made aware of this and even when we signed off our bill each day there was no service charge added. They were quick to remove this so I actually think they were just trying it on. We settled our bill politely and then had to endure listening to them talk about it to others whilst we waited for our transport. When our transport arrived not one person helped us with our suitcases or bags and the manager walked past us to greet his family arriving for the day and didn't even say thanks for staying. We left without a single goodbye from them. I think this sums them up.

Disgusting and obnoxious. Would advise people to seriously consider looking elsewhere, wish I had read a review that had told us this, 4reasons is far better or I think there is a nicer boutique hotel called samara that I would try instead.

If the hotel do not want any visitors other than Turkish nationals and their friends then they should make that clear in their advertising, could have saved us a lot of money! Surprised they are still in business.

Aside of this we actually enjoyed our holiday because will not let things like this impact on our time away, in bodrum if you want some luxury and friendly service then head to restaurant Kocodon!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Yours sincerely,
Ahu Serter
Owner
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We have a house in Torba and visited Casa dell Arte today with the family today as a day guest.
What a wonderful place ! Firstly the 'vibe' is really chilled which is wonderful. The staff are really attentive and we enjoyed a great lunch. Our children really enjoyed the craft sessions at the kids club.
Lovely clean swimming pool and beach with plentiful sun loungers and day beds.
No doubt the hotel rooms are great too, with a house in the area I will sadly never be able to sample them !

Stayed July 2014
Casadellarte, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Dell'Arte, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guests,

Great to hear that you enjoyed your time at Casa dell Arte.
Each Friday evening we have live music on the seaside, we will be glad if you join us one day.
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Casa dell ´Arte residence is one of the best hotels i´ve been to. The rooms are very big, end confortable, the pool and the beach side is great and the staff is very sweet and eficient. This is a must go hotel. You feel really at home.

Room Tip: The rooms are great, very big, and they are all decorated with art work.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joana F
Casadellarte, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Dell'Arte, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Joana,

Happy to hear that you loved your stay at Casa Dell`Arte.
Looking forward to see you next time!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

First off, this place is lovely. Gorgeous art litters the place, the food’s great, the red-trousered staff are attentive, and the rooms are sensational. The beds alone are a little bigger than an average London flat.

So it seems massively ungrateful to complain that we had to stay there, rather than at the sprawling family resort next door that we had booked (it’s part of the same hotel). We’d picked the family resort because we brought our three-year-old and it has a kids club, kiddie pool, babysitting and the like. But when we arrived (mid-May) we learnt that part was completely and utterly closed.

Nonetheless, great place. Try the cracking Gonca fish restaurant next door. And if travelling with kids, ask the hotel if the family bit is closed before you book. They may not tell you themselves.

Room Tip: Taurus, which has a huge balcony, is the best room in the non-family section.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Casadellarte, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Dell'Arte, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking time and giving us your feedback.
We will make everything to make your future stay more joyful and pleasant.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Case Dell Arte is charming hotel, the staff were delightful, always at hand and very generous with their help. The rooms extremely spacious, good of a good standard And the beach side atmosphere is great. The team were very good with children.

• Stayed June 2014
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Casadellarte, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Dell'Arte, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for such a positive review.
We are happy that you had a great time with us.
Looking forward to host you again.
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Excellent place for a family with a toddler. Luxurious but cozy too, with a great beach front garden.

Of course a speacial mention to incredible beach bar with the tree just pumping out from the sea.

Also gonca fish restaurant nearby is an excellent alternative for a dinner.

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
We are so pleased to know you had a memorable holiday.
We would be delighted to welcome you again at Casa dell Arte.