“Amazing Holiday”
Review of Kervansaray Resort

Kervansaray Resort
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Torba
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Spent one week at this resort with my girlfriend and had a amazing time.
Our room was lovely; had a balcony ,nice bathroom and essential air conditioning! The room was very clean and on a couple of occasions the maid lay petals on the bed which was unexpected and very romantic.
The buffet stile restaurant was lovely, offering different things everyday and constantly maintaining a high standard, and the views across the sea never stopped amazing me! The bars were also great, although all the cocktails were ridiculously strong.
Only thing i didn't like was the pool area which constantly had loud, crappy music playing all day; annoying if your want to relax in peace, but probably useful if wanting to entertain you're children.
And this being said, it was very quite and peaceful by the sea where we spent most of our time

I have to disagree with people who view the staff as being rude. I think some people need to realise you need to be polite to others for them to be polite to you, as we found all the staff to be very friendly and fun.

Room Tip: Bungalow room, away from main hotel. Sea view not worth the extra money.
5  Thank James D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,689)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I booked a 8 night holiday at this resort and had an amazing time with my wife. We arrived around 2AM at the hotel and although the room was not to our satisfaction this was changed in the morning. The room type was a Village Room and we had full sea view. The only downfall is that the room is next to the main pool where the music will be on during the night, quite loud until midnight and a bit more acceptable between midnight and 2AM. In the morning the music starts at 10AM. So if you book a room next to the main pool you need to make a note of these times which are set in stone.

Location - this is great if you want to be isolated from the city centre but not far from the motorway. It takes 25 minutes to the airport and 20 minutes to Bodrum city centre, both by shuttle. I bought my shuttle trip to/from the airport for £19 from resorthoppa, 2 people return, so 4 segments. It would cost you 8 Turkish Lira (£2.40) for 1 person return to the city centre if you book with the hotel. While more expensive booking with the hotel, it is more convenient and only pennies difference as the shuttle will take you from the reception. You don't have to go to the city if you don't need to; the shop at the hotel has all the gifts you need, i.e. post cards, magnets, sun lotions, even massive traditional shishas.

Room Cleanliness: Sometimes the cleaner will show up quite early in the morning and if you like a long sleep this will bother you. The room was clean, no problems.

Room comfort: We had to keep the air con on the whole night as it was pretty warm. The room was spacious and it even allowed for a third person to sleep due to a retractable sofa. The design is quite nice and it worth the 5 star.

Staff: This is by far the most valuable asset. Although the English is not their strength (apart from the Reception and Guest Relations areas), these people are amazing in that they are genuinely kind and keen to help, not pushy, not doing it for a tip, just keen to help and make you feel good and smile. I have not experienced anything better than this.

Value: I had a 15% promo code that I used when I booked which helped. The value for money is outstanding in terms of daily evening entertainment, the cleanness of all the dining, pools, all amenities. They have a few extra services which you need to pay for like smoking shisha, several types of massage, sauna etc. If you negotiate hard (which they like and respect) you will get a better price; I had a better outcome from negotiations because I am Romanian living in UK and a former Romanian football player is seen as a demigod in Turkey...lucky me. The food is just amazing. Each lunch/dinner will have all the meats in so many ways cooked, all in all without overreacting: about 16 different main dishes and garnishes, 30 different salads, 15 different desserts and 10 different fruits. This is all in a lunch or dinner. They change the food all the time so you will not get bored, trust me. The food is great quality, they do not care about the waste and they will top up the food even quite late when the lunch/dinner time is about to finish unlike other places where I have been. The alcohol is local and pure, whine straight from the bottle etc. We don't drink alcohol so cannot vouch for the quality but the English people found their second home near the bar so it must be good. The coffees are of very fine quality and you will notice this if you are a demanding being.

The main weakness is that the Internet is extremely bad. This is not accessible from the rooms, only the main hotel area and is free, but so so bad. If you don't want your partner to do any work during the holiday, this is the best place to be. It is so frustrating to send a few emails that you will give up. You can pay for a faster internet but even that would be as fast as Talk Talk Essentials in a cul de sac cottage would be.

The quality of guests is very good compared top other places, in that it is family friendly and the price is high enough to filter out the usual trouble makers and unpolished people. There are many other good things with this hotel that you should discover yourself. All in all, this is a great place to come back to.

3  Thank George A
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is my review based on what I experienced !

From the start

The hotel is set in the best location absolutely stunning views all around,check in was a little slow and no one really spoke English(now I know that's ignorant but English is a universal language)
We stayed in a bungalow quite a way from reception which in the heat was a struggle,The room was lovely at first look very modern and clean however after a few days we noticed no cleaning took place in our room just fresh towels.
The hotel itself is massive and very hot in the main building but the heat outside is understandable,
The food when we went was amazing lots of choice and always being topped up and different varieties on different nights also the snack bar (opens 12-5) was good quick food.
The staff I found were all very friendly, helpful but not enough for amount of people staying,
Now the other guests that stayed (which the hotel can't help) most Germans belguims turkish Russians Iranians were disgustingly rude,have no manners (please and thank you's) just grunts they push in when your queuing kids have no chance if wanting a drink!
Also they loved stock piling food then anything they didn't eat (which was loads) they just moved tables.
If you don't mind cats this isn't the place for you, the guests and some times the staff kicked them and when telling a manager he didn't seem bothered.
Not much to do around the hotel however the buses into bodrum town was cheap and every 10 mins so that's probably the best thing to do if bored,
The sun bed were taken very early so if you want one in the shade then it could be a struggle but I managed to find something most days.
The music around the pool was loud and the entertainment team were great however you do get hassled everyday by guys trying to sell trips out/dining out
We only tried the turkish a là carte restaurant which was AMAZING!
Other people we met said the other a là carte were poor (but not sure)
That's it I think :-)

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Jwalter1982
Reviewed 13 July 2014

On arrival we thought we had hit the jackpot, the view is spectacular, I hadn't realised Turkey was so beautiful.

Food - The food is varied and fresh and very tasty, good range of choice. There are 3 a la carte restaurants, Chinese, Italian and Turkish, we heard from other guests the Italian and Chinese were naff but my opinion was as we were in turkey to try the Turkish and it was the right choice. The food and service was amazing.
Snack bar was great for snacking mid afternoon, average mini pizzas and burgers with salad and all the ice cream you can eat.

Rooms - again on arrival we were pleasantly surprised, good air conditioning and facilities with free replenished drinks in the fringe every day. Beds were nice and comfy, depending on your individual preference.
However day 5 I could have sworn the bath still hadn't been cleaned, queued to speak to the receptionist about it but they couldn't really understand, rooms on the whole clean however bathroom not to my standards and not 5 star.

Pool - couldn't fault either pools, I large main one with swim up bar and great view and another smaller pool with slides.

Service - on the whole ok, restaurant good, receptionist all had a language barrier but I don't expect everyone to be fluent in English at all. Pool bar staff a bit grumpy.
Entertainment staff were all happy and helpfull.

Other guests - AWFUL, lots of different nationalities and I have to say the other guests ruined the holiday slightly for me, very rude, no one queues up for drinks, everyone barges in, take umbrellas by the pool when your sitting under them, no one says please or thank you. I was shocked at how rude people can be and I'm not exaggerating when I say this. Honestly shocking.

Cats - they have stray cats running around as you would expect in other hot countries. We spoke the the restaurant manager and he said they allow them to walk around the outside restaurant seating area as the cats keep the rodents away, some of the guests feed them and some don't, confusing for the cats when other guests kick, yes kick the cats away and throw water over the cats. I like cats as much as then next person, but I found the kicking very upsetting, there was an incident involving cruelty to them every day we were at the hotel (10 days) at the end of the holiday we decided to feed them, we put a large wine glass of water down at our table and dropped chicken to them, they were so thirsty and hungry and we got to stroke them, obviously you have to be a bit wary, but if they are getting treated so badly it's no wonder they may try to scratch you, how confusing. This was very sad to see. I said to the manager they should either encourage and stomp out the cruelty or discourage. It's as simple as that.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank MJonesy86
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here with my partner for 2 weeks recently, had a brilliant time at a fantastic hotel! Spa was good, food was good and different nearly every night! Only problem was a very rude welsh family stealing our parasol! But you can't blame the hotel for these idiots! Sun beds were nearly always free to find at any point in the day. Clean and friendly staff just lacked an English speaking person on reception!!!!

2  Thank James S
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The Kervansaray Bodrum is in a fantastic location with superb views overlooking the bay. It is a really well designed hotel which cleverly nestles into the steep hillside. The rooms look good and are well enough cleaned on a daily basis. All meals and drinks are included in the price and the very friendly animation team do their best to keep everyone entertained, although if you don't like loud booming music you will probably try to get as far away as possible from the pool during the day time. Someone, at some time, put a lot of thought into the hotel and grounds.
So, it's basically a good hotel with lots of potential. BUT...
1) There are not enough staff on duty during meal times. This turns the hotel from a 4 star into a cheap café, reminiscent of a school dining hall but noisier and less well-,annered. Tables are hard to find and when one is available it is unlikely to have cutlery or a clean tablecloth.
2) Many of the guests don't make this situation any better. They pile food on their plates and even bring extra plates to their tables, piled high with all the best food. This only adds to the mad rush.
3) We tried two a la carte restaurants. These are a bit better, but the food is average at best, and the wine is still the cheap local plonk. Turkish Meze consisted of 4 tiny dried-out dips. The Italian minestrone soup was actually the gazpacho heated up. Oh dear.
4) Wifi service is laughable. Their 'free' Wifi only provides 128kbps - that's 90's internet speed. Even at that, the signal gets dropped so often you spend more time trying to get on than actually using it. I know you should not go on holiday to spend time on the internet, but it would be good to be able to spend 30 minutes every so often sending and receiving updates. This is impossible, as it takes more like 2 hours to get the most basic things done.
5) When you pay for their Wifi upgrade, for 15 Euro, the speed improves a bit but the signal is still dropped frequently. And incidentally, you can only get Wifi on a particular floor of the hotel. This really is a weakness in 2014.
6) The aircon is good in the rooms, but is switched off in the main hotel building. Remember this is temperatures of around 40 degrees centigrade! This obviously saves the hotel money, but is very off-putting. I wouldn't be surprised if most guests left the aircon on in their rooms, wasting much more money and energy, knowing they would have to cool don when they returned from the main building. Counterproductive. Hotel management, please take note.
7) The snacks at the 'Aqua' flumes pool are slow and very unhygienic. The boy who serves there always wears a filthy top with food stains. I saw him making burgers, opening the cheese slices with his teeth, then placing these on a dirty surface before sticking them onto the burgers. I feel a bit queasy just describing this now.
8) Bits of the hotel grounds are looking very tired. The mini ladders for exiting the pools, for instance, have lost their rubber inserts, making them slippery and dangerous. Either no-one has bothered to check or they are not prepared to spend a few lira fixing them. When maintenance does happen ladders are left lying around. This is not only unsightly, it is dangerous.
9) Daily room servicing is haphazard. Mini bars are supposed to be re-filled every day with soft drinks (which is a very nice idea, thank you) but instead of replacing the coke which we drank, more and more bottles of water kept appearing. A handle on my bedside table fell off and the glue unstuck - it took three days and three reports to reception for it to be repaired. On day three our shower floor mats disappeared, and was only replaced when I reported it. Our bed covers also disappeared. Why is it all so haphazard?? Again this all saves money but seriously loses customers.

Staying at this hotel really should not be this disappointing. It really is a shame and a waste. Somehow the lack of service and overall management strategy turns a potentially great holiday into a mediocre on at best.

The hotel has lowered its prices for this season. That's obviously good for the customer in the short term, but I suspect, Kervansaray Hotels, you will have to keep lowering the prices every year in order to attract guests. Unfortunately your lower prices force you to spend less on staff and maintenance. It's a vicious circle you have started.

Could I suggest something? Go back upmarket: Employ more service staff. Keep the hotel well maintained. Cool down the main building. Guests will love it and keep going back every year, even if it costs a couple of hundred pounds more. If you keep going downmarket it will take only two more years for Kervansaray to become a sunnier version of Butlins. What a waste.

Room Tip: All the rooms COULD be good - see main report for the truth!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank John W
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Very nice hotel but they need to improve the nightime entertainment. Probably the best hotel I have stayed in. Nice pool area with swim up bar and a lift you can get down to the jetty. We had one of the better rooms which was large clean but no balcony although most do have. The daytime entertainment around the pool is really good. Water polo, games with surf boards, darts etc. They have got it all wrong at night though. All the chairs are in rows like a school assembly and no tables!! Jesus where do you want me to put my drink? And then the bingo, we played one game and they dragged it out for a couple of hours by getting people on stage for nearly every number pulled out, and obviously did this as no other entertainment was planned for the night.
There wasn't many English people staying at the hotel while we was there. The hotel is a bus ride away from Bodrum and you may want to go there as there is nothing near the hotel. Very nice hotel though and good if you want a fairly quiet holiday. Stayed in May 2012.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RyanAndDanielle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torba
Vogue Bodrum
Sarpedor Boutique Hotel & Spa
Hotel Zeytinada
Hotel Zeytinada
#10 of 24 in Torba

Been to Kervansaray Resort? Share your experiences!