“Had a great time but average hotel”
Review of Kervansaray Resort

Kervansaray Resort
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Torba
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I have spent a week in this hotel 3 weeks ago... We had a great time but you see this hotel is in a phase of optimalisation of profit for the shareholder. just enough employees, smart closing times of bars, and for sure facilities are not maintained enough. Toilet had to be fixed 2x in a week + smell from bad room in full room...

this hotel had a good reputation and it's best time I guess during period of 2009 but for sure this needs improvement with at least an investment plan with a good facility manager.

Also during dinner, knifes and forks are not there... it's a hunt for this kind of equipment. There is 1 bar for many people to serve something else than water.

On top, in an all-inclusive I expect also a broader portfolio on beverages in the room (we paid 500 EUR more to have a partly sea-view).

We ignored all negative vibes and enjoyed our vacation but I talked with other Belgians who visited this hotel earlier.. they were completely frustrated.

next time I will go to this region I will go for Kefaluka or Xanadu.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AWinch
Write a ReviewReviews (1,688)

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Returned from this hotel a couple of weeks ago and have mixed opinions! We arrived at 5am and the man at the reception offered as some food, though very basic this was much appreciated. We stayed in a bungaloo which was nice...good view, clean, free minibar, tv with only one or two english channels.
Sun loungers are all taken by 8am so if you want to lay by the pool get up early!
Food was really good having stayed all inclusive before with terrible food this was a nice change with lots of choice...for a meat eater! My partner is a vegetarian this caused alot of issues as nothing was labelled correctly meaning I had to try near enough everything on his plate. We tried the Turkish and chinese resturant all which had no veg options. So not the best hotel for vegetarians.
Very limited English people at the hotel as a couple who like to meet new people we found this hard too socialise... expect queue jumpers and rude people who just push you out of the way to order a drink at the bar! Staff do not say anything either and will happily serve you last even if you are first in the queue.
We got a little bored over the week with not much to do other than lay by the pool.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank queenbee1801
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We returned a couple of weeks ago following two weeks in the Kervansaray and can honestly say we will never go back there again.
We had a room in the main building and it was very nice. It was “tidied” every day, I would not say cleaned, and the bedding straightened. The aircon was good and the mini fridge restocked with water and coke etc, The view from the balcony was superb, the hotel location on the side of a hill was great.
Being on the side of a hill it has lots of steps everywhere. Inside there are lifts but these were broken and not working for most of the time we were there.
Unless you were at the poolside at the crack of dawn there was no chance of getting a sunbed. There was more chance of getting beds down at the sea decking but that was hit & miss.
There was no aircon in the main building public areas at all, and sitting at the lobby bar was uncomfortable because of this. Wifi just did not work anywhere.
Main problem was with the food. It was disgusting. Re-cycled most of the time, and the cleanliness was very bad. I was ill a couple of days and my wife has returned home with suspected food poisoning. You should not go to this hotel, the food is dangerous and the place is filthy.
In the dining areas the clearing staff do try to clear the tables as fast as they can but there is just not enough staff. You have to clear a table yourself before you can sit down to eat. The a la carte restaurants were no better. The fish restaurant was just the snack bar with a different sign on it.
There are lots a “management” checking on everything but they do nothing, just walk about leaving the poor working staff to do everything. We found the working staff extremely polite and always had a smile for you.
This is an expensive hotel to stay in and definitely not worth the money. It is a 5star hotel for location but for everything else it is a 3star.
If the food situation is not improved someone will become extremely ill after staying here. It does not matter what nationality you are, food hygiene must be good and the Kervansaray is well below the level it should be at.
If you want poor food with appalling hygiene served in a canteen environment, no air con, no wifi, no sunbeds (unless you get up at 7am and have an argument with someone) and sub-standard local drinks all at a grossly inflated price, then the Kervansaray is the place for you.
If you want the opposite then don’t go there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Steve H
Reviewed 8 August 2014

If your idea of a good holiday is eating and drinking yourself to oblivion and then sitting by the pool with "pool/bar" hi dee hi style activities then this is the perfect holiday. Most people there when we went were happy with this. However if, like me, you expected watersport activities in the sea as was advertised then this place falls short. True, water skiing, scuba, diving and being towed behind a speed boat on an inflatable were available at a cost but the activities like sailing (non existent) wind surfing (10 boards but not one sail that wasnt broken) canoes (15 mins available per day and only when the sea was completely flat) were scarce or not there at all. PS beware of budgie smugglers by the pool load and the 6am tradion of putting towels on the sun beds....I thought that stopped in the 80's.

6  Thank PaulSouthern2013
Kervansaray H, Guest Relations Director at Kervansaray Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Mr. Paul,
Many thanks for your feedback and interest in Kervansaray .
Your comments matter us very much.
It's nice to see your constructive impressions here.
With the wishes of welcoming you again .

Best regards,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just Back this morning from a 7 day holiday at Kervansaray. there are some great points & some very low points.
Great points:
Hotel food was plentiful. Great choice. great selection awesome snack bar for all the family. The fries have a secret blend of spice on them that made the kids want more. was the first time my son would eat his & every one else onion rings.
Pool immaculately clean & sun loungers were comfortable.
Our room was adequate for the stay. if you tip your cleaner your room will be immaculate all holiday. my family adopted a great cleaner they called Conswalar . bless. she filled our fridge every day & clean towels , bedding was supplied.
The views are to die for. tropical sun sets & crystal clear sea.
Great restaurant in Bodrum town call Golden Plate. The owner Andy will introduce himself to you around the pool great guy honest & trustworthy. there is a free taxi there & back & the food is fresh. also the view from your table is to die for. Highly recommended.
Poor points.
Bar staff do not understand any English what so ever so Pointing to your favourite tipple is required.
Only one beer available. Efes. 5% strong pilsner. nice but very gassy.
Fellow guests have no understanding of a que. the French & Arabic's have no understanding of patience. they would barge past you to get there food or drink. This became very annoying as the holiday went on.
I have several heated exchange of words with 2 French guest's one due to my family enjoying each others company over dinner & laughing together. This was met with a intimidating stare as if we had just eaten from there plate. the other was as my children are 11 & 14 pool games are a great time to release some energy however one French man who was in the pool at the time objected to being splashed. pathetic.
Now for the most poorest point ever. If you book with first choice be expected not to see you Rep all Holiday. As all holidays start by meeting your rep on the first full day of your holiday. so as pointed out to us on the coach there whilst convincing us to by a phone card that the meeting will be at 5pm in the lobby. so my family turned up with a new bride & groom at 4.45 pm time past until 5.45pm we decided to give up. the rep never showed up all holiday until the last but one day when a new fresh holiday rep green behind the gills turned up for his first day as a rep for this hotel. I did at first feel for the lad but then had to unleash my frustration. we txt phoned emailed the only thing I failed to do was to send a carrier pigeon to make contact with our rep Shocking as this is one of there flag ship 5* hotels within turkey.
Hotel shop stay well clear. one bottle wine 4 cans larger 2 packs crisp's £45.00 yes £45.00 on questioning his price his comment in very limited English because I can charge what I like.
Final message.
if your taking a teanager with you take more money than planned as the water ride's can be costly take £ to bargain with.
Learn a few languages to communication with staff.
Great location , great views poor for family's with young children.
5* I think not 4* at a push.

3  Thank karlbcfcthompson
Reviewed 4 August 2014

A religious holiday is a pretty busy time for Turkey. So since there was no room in any of our first choices we picked Kervansaray for being close to my mothers vacation house and thinking of its reputation. Unfortunately we missed the fact that it has been 15 years since we heard all those great things about the facility. To cut it short... I travel with a 3 year old and a baby... and here is what i can tell; amazing location, rooms not too bad with great views, ZUHAL hanim at guest relations : a wonderful lady who does everything she can to make ur experience a great one......

BUT the whole place is old and rusty. Rust everywhere... Indoors and elevators have no A/C running... Wireless none... they say there is at the lobby area but its so slow u can not even send a mail. The hotel is over capacity but the worst part of my experience was the food. It was so bad that we were hungry most of the time and we started to spend most of our time away from the hotel. ( i ve never seen such pink salami, and such white cheese in my life...u can come across hair on the plates by desert selection, hazel nut cream and wafers some brand none has ever heard of so it tastes like grease..) i ll stop here and this is not even half of what id love to say about the food disaster of the hotel. when it comes to the beach... well there is no beach you have to know that when going to this hotel. just a cement area by the sea, and very old plastic sun beds, rusty staircases down to the sea. I had to photograph them. I d like to photograph more to support my point and share but with two kids it is very difficult to keep a phone by my side all the time.
This is definitely not a five star holiday village may be a 3 star... May be.... just because of the gorgeous view!

This is not your ultimate Turkey or Bodrum experience. For me : NEVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: there are much better hotels to experience Bodrum.
2  Thank mrsKrbck
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The hotel has a great location on the cliff above the sea. Brilliant views and a cooling breeze. We had a family room nearest to the aqua slides, which the kids loved. Good sized room with twin beds and 2 pull out/ sofa beds. No issues at all. Air con very good! The positives include the food, of which there was a huge choice and plenty of it. We never made it to lunch, after a big breakfast, but the kids did have burgers by the fun pool most days. With ice cream on tap we had very happy kids. Great idea to have fridges full of water all over the place. Being able to help yourself to ice cold bottles whenever you want was really helpful in the 42 degree C heat. The only significant downside was the random housekeeping. Having to hunt around for toilet rolls and tea/coffee and guessing what would be missed each day was only a minor pain. Pool area and other facilities could be better cleaned. Not a bare foot hotel by any means!

3  Thank Itsthegaffer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torba
Vogue Bodrum
#9 of 24 in Torba
The Marmara, Bodrum
The Marmara, Bodrum
#5 of 100 in Bodrum City

Been to Kervansaray Resort? Share your experiences!