“Beautiful but a few issues, mainly service”

Xanadu Island Hotel
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Turgutreis
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Beautiful but a few issues, mainly service”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

First off Xanadu Island is beautiful! Everywhere there are lovely views of the clear sea and mountains and white villas. The accommodation is new and shiny, nicely furnished, large bathrooms and beds etc. Two large pools, bars etc.

The all inclusive really is all inclusive. There are lots of lovely little touches for children included too - popcorn and candy floss, waffles, slush puppies, milkshakes etc. Waiters bring round fruit in the afternoon and you are never far from a drink with fridges places strategically around the island! The girls went to the mini disco every night.

The sunbeds are plentiful - around pools, quiet areas, on sundecks over the sea or on the beach. They each have their own shade which works brilliantly with children to keep in the shade!

The food was delicious and a great range which should keep everyone happy. I love most foods anyway but the children were fine too.

Essentially this was the most relaxing and beautiful holiday I've had since the Maldives but only 4 hours away. However a few little points....

- the children's club is naff! Basically the entertainment team is made up of a group of young people who can dance. This is great for the evening shows but not for the miniclub! They have not been chosen for their communication skills or interest in people or children. There is no real programme of activities, so when my girls (5 & 7) needed time out of the sun or we wanted to go snorkling, after a couple of initial bad experiences (greeted by a man who couldn't communicate and another woman who couldn't really be bothered to say hello) the girls spent most of their time there watching DVDs! They did strike lucky with a couple of the girls who they looked forward to seeing.

- I thought my girls would be fine together on the sofa bed, but it's quite small and the mattress very thin, so it didn't work for two fidgeters! The 7 year old therefore spent two weeks sleeping on settee cushions on the floor which worked better.

- finally the service isn't 5*. The best service is in the Xanadu bar by the main pool. But everywhere else it's pretty slow and glum. On the whole, staff don't seem that happy and you could be sitting at a spare table for a while before it is laid with cutlery or you get a drink. When we mentioned to the reception team that the children don't feel welcome at the mini club, we were asked if we wanted to fill out a form?! Of course there were some lovely people!

- finally the evening show is very loud and we could hear every word to the music played by the pool area at night. This is played until midnight. As the girls went to be around 10pm we had a couple of hours of this. Fortunately the girls dealt with the noise and were able to get to sleep and it didn't bother us. However if you think you'll be in bed before midnight and don't like noise, I would request a quiet room!

None of the above spoilt our holiday at all but I do think that they would affect some other people so just wanted to let you know!!

Room Tip: See tip about quiet room in main info!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shropshire
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We had such a perfect holiday here last year, and although I searched the internet for something to compare, nothing jumped out, so we made the decision to return to Xanadu Island. It turned out that quite a few other travellers did too!
At first I wasn’t quite sure that it had been the right decision to go back. Weather was perfect as usual, welcome with a refreshing drink was good too, and the guy who took our luggage to our room remembered us. We got to the room and I spotted a brilliant sea view, but .... the non-smoking room smelt strongly of smoke, and two minutes after we closed the door the air conditioning stopped! We called reception and no other rooms were available and to be honest I didn’t want to lose that brilliant view. They sent a cleaner to spray the room and the air conditioning problem became intermittent, so we decided to put up with it. Eventually the smell of smoke diminished and to be fair it was only noticeable when you opened the door and amazingly the air conditioning sorted itself out.
Everything else was as good, or better, than we remembered. I think it was quieter than last year which meant that quite often I was happily swimming in the pool by myself. The room was spotless with a lovely comfortable bed that gave us a good night’s sleep before each strenuous day of lying in the sun, drinking and eating, and enjoying the beautiful views and brilliant service.
Thankyou Xanadu Island Resort, and we may come back again next year too.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FlossieShropshire
london
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My husband and our 2 children were greeted by the door man who also showed us to our room. Check in was smooth. It was a sunset suite, 1 bedroom and living room area with sofa bed. The rooms are well spaced and the bathroom a great size. The shower did not work at first but house keeping sorted that out. The hotel is just ok and I mean that. It is a large complex a takes a little getting used to(in my husbands words looks like a college campus). The rooms on first appearance seemed to be clean but on closer inspection needed another once over, remnants of spilt drinks by the fridge by the previous guests obvious on first glance, the bath and the tea making tray dirty. Once I spoke to house keeping all sorted. the sofa bed was the worst I had slept in and the slats were broken. I told house keeping about this but they did nothing, so we suffered the duration falling back into the gap where the slats were not.

We were fortunate enough to have travelled outside the hotel during the first 4 days of our arrival and ate out. The food is so bland at the Xanadu and does not give the visitor the Turkish cuisine experience. Our local kebab restaurant does a better job. Whilst I appreciate its cooked on large scale the food gets the big thumbs down from me. I am Turkish and felt extremely disappointed with the food on offer, almost every dish was seasoned with dill "whats' with that'? No one puts Dill in Dolma or on kebabs. It is also hard to make Baklava taste boring but the chefs at Xanadu managed it.

The waiter service was ok there were the odd few who were attentive but some of the girls (not all) serving need to put a smile on their faces. Try harder girls it puts people off. A couple of the young men waiters just walk past pretending they can't hear your plea for water.

The entertainment is good if your 5. Although there was 'one' night when a famous Turkish singer took to the stage and belted out some good notes.

I went for a massage at the Spa but was not given the tour (despite arriving early) which is par for the course to use the facilites. They showed me to the massage room. The massage was, again, just ok. Not worth the €110 and I was also short changed on time.

The main beach is pebbly and not easy to get into the sea but once your in its bliss. My family and I discovered a quiet cove with a platform with sun beds that lead into the sea, it also had a fridge stocked up with drinks. Perfect.

The sea is the best I have seen ever, and I have travelled far and wide, the variations of blue and turquoise were a bonus in these cystral clear waters. Magnificent.

On a final food note I have to give a shout for Macakizi Hotel in Turkbuku and next time Im in town I will be staying there.As I said at the start we had ventured out to Turkbuku taking a yacht to the Macakizi it was pretty chilled. Now that was a buffet to die for,simple but tasty.

Going back to Xanadu nope, tried and tested time for something different. i say this becasue they advertise it as a high class hotel and it really it NOT. Shame though if they played that down then you get what you bargained for and all inclusive resort being it is what it is, Just OK

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank gcr19
Reviewed 8 August 2012 via mobile

We have just returned from a 5 day break.
On arrival to the hotel, check in was swift, and taken to our room. We stayed in a Sunset Suite and it was amazing, large sitting area, massive four poster bed!!! Very pleased. We encountered an issue with the safe not working, rang reception and it took two days to sort out, countless waiting for an engineer/manager to arrive to fix it. Not ideally what you want when you have limited time on a break. No apology no nothing, which started the shocking service!!! The pool area is beautiful, the waiters are so useless, don't get me wrong I love pool service. I am asked if I would like a drink, but nothing ever was brought!!! It did begin to be a running joke, self service was certainly the easiest way!!! The Rosebud Bar, to give credit, have the service levels thankfully!!!! We visited the spa, a little overpriced but hey your on holiday, it was very relaxing!!! The a la carte option (the Italian) was ok, but as its all inclusive, can't really grumble! The hotel is beautiful, but they rally need to sort the staff service levels out!!!

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Natalie O
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 3 August 2012

- The rooms are clean and comfy
- Food is great. Every day you can find something different at the open buffet. And it is tasteful. I do not agree people saying eveything is repeatative. Those people should ask themselves what are they having at home at lunch & dinner.
- Daytime they do not play music that sucks at the pool. And they do not have absurd pool animators, which is a good thing.
- After dinner around 21:30-22:00 every night there is live music or a dj playing or salsa night etc.
- But the best thing about the hotel is the stuff. They are all kind and smiling. Always asking if you need something.
- The only down side of this hotel for me was the paid internet which had a bad signal around the hotel. Though internet/day was 1€ (which is quite cheap), we paid around 250€ per night. I guess internet should be included. And as I said the signal was usually bad. At the beach I was receiving five other hotels signal around, but not Xanadu's. And you can use the username/password with one device only. We have iPad's, Smartphones etc more than one device, don't they know that?

PS: This is not a hotel for single men looking for single women. Or vice versa. If your main interest is that, it is not a place for you.

• Stayed August 2012
Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Not a long review this time: if you are able to book this hotel, don't hesitate, just do it!
And if you go for a honeymoon, tell them and perhaps you get a romantic suite with a round bed for no extra charge!

Thank you Xanadu for a perfect holiday!

Room Tip: Romantic suite
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LanderFoquet
Izmir,Turkey
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I've visited Xanadu Belek, Antalya for several times. And waiting the opening of here for a long time. As I have raised my expectations too high, I have to confess that I'm expecting more luxurious atmosphere.

Pro's: As it's established on an island, it's very spacious. You feel yourself relaxed. The quality of sea was so great which is very important for me. The salt ratio, warmth, cleanless above high class. Although it's always windy, they have established two separate bays where there are no waves. You can find always find cold beverages in all shore-sites. Rooms are so great and so clean. The animation team was great. Also at most nights, there is live music where I saw a famous musician also. They have created a running road through the hotel area. The pool has an amazing view. It seems that it's connected to sea. Also they have a good SPA facility where I adored in their other hotel too. You have to visit SPA center and have a massage.

Con's: The number of food choices are not so rich nor not so poor, it is average. But I expected much more choices especially if you have a kid. The number of waiters at meal area was too low, so although they worked very hard, they could hardly respond to us.

Overall, I'm very satisfied and willing to go again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TurkishTripper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turgutreis
Sianji Wellbeing Resort
#3 of 23 in Torba
Swissotel Resort Bodrum Beach
Swissotel Resort Bodrum Beach
#14 of 99 in Bodrum City

Been to Xanadu Island Hotel? Share your experiences!