“Fab time...!”

Hapimag Resort Sea Garden
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Yaliciftlik
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We visited Sea Garden as a group of friends for one week as part of a Mark Warner holiday. It was fab! The staff were extremely helpful...the location was beautiful, the hotel was clean and although we arent particularly sporty, we made the most of the watersports lessons...

Would recommend.

Room Tip: If you're travelling with friends (and not children) as for a block that doesn't overlook th...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beenie_19

Reviewed 26 June 2012

This holiday was brilliant. ( week commencing 16th June )

BA Travel & Transfers:

Great service and no delays either way. We had an early flight and the breakfast was terrible, I would suggest that you grab something from the terminal cafe's if your a breakfast person. (This is no reflection on the resort). Transfers were brilliant, Mark Warner staff greet you from outside the Bodrum airport, take your luggage, provide you with water and a spacious coach. From the moment you have seated on the coach, they make you feel like your holiday has started.

Sea Garden Resort:

The resort itself is split in to two components, Mark Warner (All inclusive) and Hapimag ( Half board, self catering). You can go to either side, there are no restrictions. In your stay you will be surrounded by beautiful plants and trees, it really makes the experience quite surreal and relaxing, it makes walking to the beach or restaurants a really pleasurable experience. I have seen many comments complaining about steps but they are not too bad, they have plenty of benches where you can rest and also provide a shuttle service so you can avoid the steps all together. I personally, chose this holiday so i could be active so it was never an issue.

Food:

The food was amazing!

The main restaurant Amphora was incredible, each night was themed so there wasn't any risk of repetitiveness . There was always such a wide range to choose from, something for everyone. I enjoyed the Latino and Asian night the most. To avoid queues I would suggest to eat a little later than usual, its open from 7 - 10pm, this way you still get a nice atmosphere but it less hectic.

A la carte: Our first A la carte meal was at la cuccino, the italian. The starter was average, however it was nice to be served by a friendly waiter. I had the pastrami pizza as a main and I can honestly say it was one of the best pizza's I've had. They do offer you desert but I was so full from the pizza I skipped it. The other restaurant we went to was Laguna Fish bar, the food was beautiful but unfortunately the invasive wasps ruined it, all staff need to do to avoid this is to hang a repellent up.

Beach and water sports:

There are two beaches you can choose to stay on, they are situated opposite ends of the resort. Although the Hapimag beach is nice, we stayed at the Mark Warners beach as the all inclusive bars and activities were near by. The Mark Warner beach was a mixture of sand and small stones, I can say that it didn't really effect our time on the beach, when entering the water there are stones but they are large and flat so it doesn't really cause too much bother. The average weather was 38 degrees and the sea reached up to 26 - 29 most days so it was lovely whether you are just swimming or learning a water sport.

Water sports - I completed intro's for both sailing and windsurfing.

I found that there wasn't really enough wind in the morning to get up and going, however it does give you the opporunity to learn the basics. If you stick with it you will be able to go out in the afternoon on your own when the wind has picked up.

In my opinion the sailing tutor was far too technical and rather than showing us what we need to pull and how to steer he went into detail about each individual object, I guess people learn in different styles.

The windsurfing instructor was brilliant, straight to the point and fun to be with. After showing us the basics we went out and just kept trying until we got the hang of it, with our tutor providing us with constant advice.

Mark Warner and Hapimag staff:

All staff members were brilliant, always friendly and made a real effort to ensure your stay was excellent. On this holiday I went with my partner and was worried that the amount of families there could spoil it but the Mark Warner staff always kept the children entertained, allowing all adults to relax.

If you can't decide whether to go or not, my advice to you would be......GO!!!

4  Thank chantelle j
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed from 7-14 June 2012, having booked at the very last minute with practically no research so had little idea what to expect but just needed a break and some sunshine. We flew from MAN with Jet2 which meant flying Thursday to Thursday - so we missed the Turkish night (thursday eve) and we lost one day of watersports as that is closed on a Saturday while the staff do transfers for the LHR passengers.

That said, we had a fabulous time. The weather was hot and sunny every day with a lovely on shore sea breeze which kept the temperature really pleasant. The sea is incredibly clear with fish swimming around your ankles, and the water temperature really nice - about 22degs when we were there.

The resort itself is great, and doesn't feel like a big resort due to the clever layout of the accommodation blocks and the beautiful landscaped gardens. The staff were really, really good - both the locals and the MW reps and water sports guys. Amazingly patient with us total beginners and good fun.

Mini Bodrum is the resorts shopping village, and has a few good shops - again with lovely staff who weren't at all pushy and made you feel as if they really were interested in talking to you as much as trying to sell you stuff. The evening entertainment was - well, 'entertaining' - a few drinks certainly made it seem so anyway - and as they were all included it was worth indulging in a couple!

Food in the breakfast/lunch and evening meal buffets was plentiful with loads of choice. You'd have to be really fussy to not find something you fancied. Choice was varied each day, and certain days there were freshly barbequed fish or huge langoustines. Recommend the Fish night in the Laguna restaurant (need to book) - it's included in the price but there is a choice of fresh locally caught fish and cooked to your preference. The head waiter even filleted one of ours at the table for us.

Really couldn't fault the holiday and would definitely return to same resort.

3  Thank Caroline M
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Plus Points:
BA flight from Terminal 5 Heathrow was a real treat after all those EasyJet flights - so nice to walk up the stairs to the plane in single file rather than 4 abreast.....and free food and refreshments too.
Free transfer to the resort.....becoming increasingly rare these days. And straight there too. No drop-offs.
The resort is beautiful - The Turks love their forested hillsides and the whole resort has been designed with due respect, with the four two storey buildings well spaced among the pine forest.
Rooms are spacious with luxurious bathrooms, with a walk-in wardrobe to boot. The double beds are huge - not easy to find each other in the dark but great if you've had a row!
Food - They really try to vary the menu as much as possible - loads of choice and the wine is free. The white and rose were pretty good, the red - well only tried it once but it was OK!
The sea was crystal with more fish than I've seen anywhere - all waiting to help with any spare bread - very theraputic. You can relax on the beach or there are two areas of decking out over the sea, so you can lie on you lounger and listen the waves rolling onto the beach underneath. Wonderful views out to sea - the Marmaris peninsular and other islands in the distance.
Free sailing, windsurfing, canoeing - would loved to have had a go, but it was May and the sea was freezing.
Minus Points:
Most balconies look out onto the pine trees. You can see the sea through gaps in the branches but there were few balconies with clear views of the beach and sea.
I should have known - Mark Warner - Warner's holiday camps! The whole complex is designed mainly for young families. Areas where you could safely leave your kids to be entertained and looked after while you relax. As a new member of the wrinklies - I wish I'd gone there years ago.
Food - the deserts were colourful and interesting - unfortunately they all tasted the same, sweet and sickly.
The resort is shared between Sea Garden on one side and Hapimag the other, situated on a peninsular of its own and is so big, bearing in mind you're in a forest, it takes a week to find things. There really should be a folder in each room to give you all the information you need. For some reason they placed the notice board and general information outside reception, tucked around the corner. We saw it for the first time when we were boarding the coach to leave.
Evening entertainment was almost non-existent except for Quiz Night & Bingo - but the bar was free all day and I've fallen for EFES beer which I've found in my local Asda - doesn't taste the same at home when it's cold and miserable.
The resort is very isolated and the Bodrum peninsular is enormous, so the only thing to do is get the bus into town 30 minutes away - 10 Lire, not bad.
I won't moan about the walk up and down the hill from reception to the beach because my cycling has improved no end since being back. So use your holiday there to get fit and breath in that great smell of pine!
I'll stop there because Sea Garden doesn't deserve that much criticism and has done everything possible for you to have a really good holiday. Enjoy.
Don C - May 2012

Room Tip: Close to Reception - Block A Close to the two pools - Block C Close to the beach - Block D Top fl...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MargiD
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We have just returned having spent a wonderful week at the Sea Garden travelling with Mark Warner .
Mark Warner use British Airways out of Terminal 5 , looks like a very smart move on their part, the flights were on time, with very good service from the ground staff and crew, I dont believe BA operate charters for anyone else apart from the Queen.
I have been to hotels with nicer beaches,better food , and more luxurious rooms but always felt there was something lacking . This hotel does everthing well ,with very friendly and willing staff .Mark Warner also has its own staff there who run the excellent watersports and childcare. I sailed everyday for a couple of hours, the staff were very knowledgeable friendly and patient . The wind was very good particularly in the afternoon . We did not take anychildren ,the people we spoke to said again they were very impressed with the set up.
The only downside ,as everyone on the return flight was staying at the same hotel and all the seats are preassigned in advance .I believe that Mark Warner and BA could arrange for the boarding cards to be printed in advance at the hotel and then distributed on the coaches. This is a facility that a number of hotels now offer which helps speed up the checkin process.
Over all a very enjoyable holiday ,I never go back to anywhere a second time ,but in this case I may need to think again.

Room Tip: look for blocks 1 or 2 ,very few rooms have a good sea view, too many trees
3  Thank Robert W
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Overall we had a great holiday experience. The combination of Mark Warner staff for guest relations / activities based in a good hotel met our expectations based on our research before we came out.

Bars / Resturants . ( 7/10) :-
Other TA reviews comment about birds around the food in the Laguna restaurant. This is a restaurant that has to open sides so the local sparrows do take any opening to fly in and pinch a bit of food. There are anti perching precautions and an automated bird scarer to give some discouragement but they will always get in. Kitchen staff were almost constantly on patrol around the buffet area checking the food was covered to limit the problem. Big + . If you have young children and need a high chair, they we sanitised after use and then covered in cling film until required again. So yes, sparrows did fly in from the garden to eat at uncleared tables and occasionally around the buffet area but we didn’t feel it was an issue.
Service in the hotel bars was generally ok, but at times you could end up waiting for over 5 minutes if the person in front ordered two or three cocktails. Most of the time there was only one person serving in each of the bars but you soon got used to noticing when there was little or no queue and get another round in.
Table clearance in the two main restaurants was ok, but inevitably slowed during peak times. Due in part to the activity and kids club time schedules the breakfast rush was between 8:30am and 09:15am and a lunchtime rush between 1pm and 2pm. Peak times during which you may have to be a little patient to get a table or aid the restaurant staff a little to clear one for you. The main evening restaurant was less affected but the 7:30pm / 8:30pm slot on a Saturday is peak of the week as its change over day so go earlier or later. So despite staff being moved around from one restaurant to another to help, expect slower than normal service at certain times.
Service and food in the a la carte restaurants was ok but not exceptional and service was too slow. An al a carte restaurant needs more staff than a buffet one. There were only two waiting staff for about 50 people In the Mexican on the night we went. So it took a while to get drinks and table was not cleared until they came with next course.

Activities. (9/10)
Mark Warner managed activities were excellent. Good quality equipment available 6 days a week. On Saturday the water sports are not available. So if you go for a week’s holiday from Manchester on a Thursday you are more disadvantaged than those from London airports whose changeover day is Saturday. Recommend getting out and having some tuition if you need it on the Friday. It may be tempting to have a bit of a relax on the first day but you may regret it later in week.
Tuition standard was generally good but for complete novices was at too fast a pace. The land based training rig and tuition was ok, but a more rigorous approach should be taken by the tutor before sending people out on the water. Some were sent out without demonstrating competence at doing a tack turn. Emergency surface support by MW staff for persons when out on the water was excellent.
11 year old member of our party rated the kids activity sessions as awesome.

Accessibility. 5/10
The hotel is built on side of a hill with the reception, main restaurant and bar at the upper level, beach sunset bar and swimming pools at the lower level. So dependent on whether you were in block 4 towards the top or block 1 down at the bottom you would need to climb a few stairs. So I would not recommend this resort to persons with significant mobility issues. A member of my party had MS and can only walk 50 meters or so. We got on ok as we had a room at the lower level in block 1 close to beach, pool and breakfast restaurant. The hotel did offer and use golf type carts around the resort but there was not enough to meet demand in the evening when the resort was full. We could not get to the Mini Bodrum and central entertainment area and back without use of a buggy. There were just too many steps. It would be much better if they set up a specific route and ran around it continuously between 6pm and 9pm with transport on request outside of those times.

MW and Hotel Staff ( 9/10)
All very friendly and helpful. Notable people Elle, Nick, Lauren and Paul from MW.

Room Tip: Block 1 is down close to the beach and pool area so has easiest access. But is way down the hill fro...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Phil_Owen
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We stayed here last year. Travelled with Mark Warner. On arrival I have to say I was pretty gutted when I got to our room. It wasn't the same quality I had experienced on previous MW holidays. The room was small, dark and soul-less. We tried changing our room but not luck.

Resort itself was very pretty in gardens etc very big resort and there are carts/buggies that can take you from one end of the resort to the other. If you are infirm or have difficult walking up steep steps etc this resort could be tricky for you.

I really loved the food - the breakfast and lunches were taken by the pools side restaurant. We would have dinner in the main building and this location was not as picturesque but food was pretty much the same standard.

There was an issue with tennis hire on this holiday and at time of booking we were told that tennis was included in price of holiday. But once at the resort we were told that we had to pay extra... credit to the MW Manager though he did track us down to say that it was being refunded and was apologetic.

Childcare and children activities were the usual and expected standard.

Overall we had a good holiday - very pretty resort, enough to keep us busy. As mentioned earlier the accommodation was not as good as previously experienced - certainly not as good as Lakitira and Portugal.

Not sure we would go back as there are many other places to visit and personally I feel the cost of MW holidays have gone up so much over recent years I am not sure they are increasing their offer in line with the increase in price.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yaliciftlik
Kempinski Hotel Barbaros Bay
8 mi away
Hotel Samara
Hotel Samara
#5 of 24 in Torba

Been to Hapimag Resort Sea Garden? Share your experiences!