“Place To Be”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Yaliciftlik
Nyon, Switzerland
“Place To Be”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Hotel is situated in 20-25 minutes cab drive from the town of Bodrum. If you are staying more than a week you would want to go to check the town at least 2 nights. Cab ride is round turn is 60-65 usd. Hotel provides shuttle buses but it is a longer ride, too many stops and in general no AC in the cars. If you are dressed up for a dinner, most likely you would enjoy a cab drive more.

Hotel is on the hill and has stunning views to Aegean see and surroundings. Because it is on the hill it takes 5 minutes golf car ride to get to the beach or a pleasant walk and many elevators. Beach offers large entertaining, renting of all water sport equipment, rides, etc.. We have tried a few and were very happy with the service. Beach area offers option of privacy and away from children if you wish. Has large beachside restaurant that serves delicious food just like any other restaurant on the grounds of the hotel.

Beach has a long but narrow stripe of sand not a powdery sand but more rocky. The rest of the beach is a fake grass , not my favorite . I loved that the umbrellas have a call button if you wish to order drink you just push the button ;) The service is great they walk around by the beach and pool area with refreshing facial cooling spray and ice cold towels to offer you.

It is never too hot in Bodrum as there is always that light breeze that does not let you faint from the sun.
My favorite part was by the pool area it is very luxury with wooden decks and wonderful scenery, convenience, clean and beautiful changing rooms and towel stands.

Rooms are very large and almost all have balcony overseeing the Aegean see, stunning sunrise. The restaurants and bar area of the Kempinski hotels are brilliant. Yes they are overprices and expect to pay 3 or4 times of the price that you can eat in Bodrum BUT the food is amazing, the atmosphere is wonderful. It is better if you book in advance as they get full very quickly. Breakfast is magnificent with thousands of fresh fruits and juices and healthy food options.
I tried Spa and was very pleased. I also went for a few early morning yoga classes on the deck –wonderful feeling.

I highly recommend this hotel. It offers you a feeling of the luxury and entertainment.

Room Tip: Just ask for one overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank kirka35
KempinskiBarbaros, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Barbaros Bay, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Kirka35

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel and sharing wonderful comments. We are happy to hear that your stay with Kempinski Hotel Barbaros Bay was up to your expectation. We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kai Winkler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I am going to start this with an excerpt from my last review - “Like you are probably doing right now, I poured over TripAdvisor, Bookings.com, and spoke to everyone I know (and don’t know) in order to build the perfect itinerary for my trip to Turkey. After a wonderful week and a half 1st time visit to Turkey, I am proud to report that I did pretty darn good… That said, I’m going to pay it forward and make your search easy for you… By way of background, I did 3 days in Istanbul, 2 days in Cappadocia and 4 days in Bodrum then back to Istanbul for on final night. I flew Air Pegasus within Turkey. I suggest you pre-book hotel transfers from each airport (just call your hotel a couple days before your arrival and request a transfer - some charge, some offer a free service).”

My stay in Kempinski Hotel Barbaros Bay Bodrum was IMPRESSIVE. I was able to book all logistics for my stay from the U.S through the hotel Concierge (a wonderful gentleman who I later met named Samet). Upon arrival, Victoria took us for a tour of the grounds and Aynur (dubbed "The Lady in Red") took care of our every need throughout our stay. Aynur is simply a WONDERFUL asset to the hotel - "THANK YOU" if you are reading this Anynur. My fiance and I stayed in a junior suite. It was a spacious, clean, and modern room with a sizable balcony and views of the ocean. I have included some pictures for your reference. The hotel also features a HUGE infinity pool overlooking the ocean, a private beach (where drinks are served with a press of a button on your lounge-chair and the staff hand cleans your sunglasses), several restaurants with wonderful ocean views, several lounges/bars, small shopping boutiques, full service spa, gym, sauna, and many other amenities you might expect of a high end resort. I will admit that everything is relatively pricey for Turkey (I accidentally paid $144 Turkish Lira ($70 USD!!!) for a glass of Hennessey one night – I say “accidentally” because I did not know the price until the bill came – shame on me for not asking first). But this bill was an anomaly however as most other alcoholic beverages on the menu were within the $10-$20 USD range. Breakfast was the highlight of every morning as the buffet offerings are SIMPLY AMAZING and frankly should not be described as a buffet (think massive room with all sorts of premium fresh items coupled with a private kitchen where chef’s make anything you want). I am not sure if guests paid separately for breakfast however daily breakfast was included in the price of our room as I booked our reservation with my American Express Platinum Card. I strongly recommend you get breakfast in the hotel assuming the price is reasonable. It will be the best breakfast you will have in Turkey – I am sure. Samet made dinner reservations for us at Saigon and La Lucha in the hotel and Limon Café which was in the town (we had to take a bus there). Saigon was good, La Lucha was ok, Limon Café was EXCELLENT – think farm to table experience, sipping wine and watching the sunset in the countryside (review to come). Our entire stay was ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL and I look forward to returning.

Quick checklist: hotel is very modern and very clean and impressive – yes similar to what other reviewers have said, it is not a reflection of Turkish architecture but I got plenty of that experience in Cappadocia and Istanbul (Old City) so this was the final leg of our vacation where the focus was relaxation, tranquility, and beauty. The seaside location is exquisite. The hotel is walking distance to its private beach however guests can also be chauffeured to and from the beach in golf carts. The restaurants are decent but their breakfast is amazing. The air conditioners work well, the swimming pool is fantastic, the restrooms are clean and nice, and the bedroom and living rooms are very well sized (I can only speak for the suite). The hotel is NOT near the town however there are regular buses which shuttle guests for cheap to and from the town hourly or every 30 minutes I believe (roughly 30-40 minutes from downtown Bodrum shops etc). We stayed on premise until the last night but were glad that we ventured out into the hustle and bustle of the town in the end (although the City center was nice to experience, we were VERY happy to return to the luxurious surroundings of our hotel after the day of exploring). The hotel will book anything and everything you need for your stay from airport transfers to dinners and sailing trips. The only potential drawbacks are that certain imported items are expensive (imported alcohol) and the hotel is family friendly so you may see small children with Au Pairs at breakfast and poolside. Ironically it is not the children that are a concern but rather how some of the hotel guests treat their Au Pairs (I am not sure if these are personal Au Pairs or hotel provided Au Pairs). Anyhow, you likely won’t notice this issue but I am somewhat sensitive to these things. In the end, my fiancé and I agree that we have to come back to Kempinski Hotel for our anniversary and can say with COMPLETE CONFIDENCE that YOU WILL LOVE YOUR STAY 100% - 5 Stars without a doubt!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade o a junior suite with an ocean view and make sure breakfast is included in your p...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NYCVacationer77
Dear NYCVacationer77,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences for Kempinski Hotel Barbaros Bay Bodrum. It was a pleasure to read your wonderful comments which are also shared with the mentioned team members. We will be looking forward to welcome you again, hopefully in not too distant future.

Wilmington
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We checked in to this hotel last week and whilst we had booked a sea view room the view was completely spoilt by a vast off white flat roof which ran for 10 metres or so from our balcony. We asked to change rooms and despite the fact that not all rooms were occupied at the time, we could not change due to non-availability! Very disappointing.
The rest of the stay was wonderful, very helpful staff, great food and the complex was kept exceptionally clean and tidy. Just keep clear of room 1305!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Chris F
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 August 2014

PROS
The hotel pool is worth the trip is amazing, just like the pictures
The hotel beach is amazing (you get there by golf cars that are really frequent)
The hotel is nice and modern

CONS
it is far away and there is nothing interesting or near around the hotel. Next time i would go to a hotel in mother part of bodrum near cool restaurants. here you have to take a taxi to go everywhere and it is far and expensive
Considering is in the middle of nowhere there restaurants should cover the hotel capacity of people. Unluckily in our first night i asked the concierge to reserve in one of the property restaurants and he told me they were all full. i asked to talk to the manager considering crazy that paying almost 600 euors the night and having 4or 5 restaurants i couldn't get a table. He told me that i could have either dinner on the buffet or in my room. I didn't feel like eating in a buffet, that is why i spend 600 euros in a hotel, if i enjoy buffets there are lots of cheaper hotels with buffets. SO disappointed i went back to my room in the middle of nowhere to have dinner. As room service arrived i asked them to put in the terrace at least but when they left i realized there is NO LIGHT nor CANDLES in the terrace. Once we finished our dinner the candles i asked at front desk arrived. SO, the manager really told me to go and have in room dinning in a 600 euros hotel. I would have expected
1. if capacity was overbooked and they don't know how to manage that at least when you check in they should advice you to book for night dinner as they don't have place for all the guests
2.if i ask for the manager and he sent me to eat to my room at least that he knows that the terraces don't have light or candles so the dinner should come with candles
considering the situation we would have expected at least the management to send us a dessert or any kind of compliment saying like welcome we are sorry for the inconvenient

In the beach there are callers but no one comes and its difficult to get a towel. the last day i asked and asked for towels but they never came

In the pool there are not enough chairs for everybody. so if you found one you are lucky and should keep it

in the pool they don't even give you a complimentary water as they do give you at the kempinski CIGARAN

Even i was from 10 am till 12 pm asking to different waitress for a bottle of payed water. finally they brought it with the food because they said until 12 they couldn't bring the food. i tried to explain them that at least the Pellegrino could have come before!

At the fish restaurant they bring you more food that you ask and it is really expensive
The concierge couldn't answer any of the things i asked for as he sayer it was high season

the watersports at the beach are extra cost. we did mono and ski lessons with my husband and the teenager who took us didn't spoke english and the boat wasn't working well and it stopped 4 times when my husband was doing. endo of the story my husband back was hurt and we had to pay for a massage session 200 e the next morning so he could continue enjoying his holiday. This kind of hotel should have safe waterspouts tuned by people who now. we still had to pay 180T for the bad experience plus the massage and my husband got hurt

we had asked on the mail for a roll away bed. we asked in check in and in the mail confirmation and everyone told yes. but in the room there was a child cot, i asked 4 times for it to be picked up and for the roll away bed. nothing came so finally i left the cot outside and my son slept in the sofa.

Im a GHA member so when you arrive there should be complimentary water. when i called because there wasn't they told me ok we will send it at night, i said no, i want it now. crazy service

All in all i had to friends hewing to Bodrum and to both i recommended not going to this hotel because it is really to expensive for what you get. Clearly it is not Kempinsky service. They really have to work improving the way customer is treated. it seems like a 3 or 4 star hotel service
The pool and the place are beautiful, so it could be a wonderful place but clearly its not worth the price as for ex the cigaran yes it worth it where they have impeccable service, they should learn. it is clear they are not ready to manage the number of people they accept in the hotel so they shouldn't charge as if they could. i won't go back

Room Tip: ask for a room with sea view and ask for candles to enjoy the terrace. take water and snacks if you...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Martina E
KempinskiBarbaros, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Barbaros Bay, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay at the Kempinski Hotel Barbaros Bay Bodrum. We understand your dissatisfaction and have shared your comments with our Team​.

Your comments in regards to our service during your stay have been seriously taken into consideration, and please accept our sincere apologies that we ​couldn't meet you​r​ service expectations. Rest assured we have been working hard to maintain the best service level that you would expect from ​a ​Kempinski Hotel.

We hope you will find the time to revisit our hotel and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is in a beautiful location, though sadly nowhere near anything else without a cab ride. We went early in the season and whilst the hotel and staff were great, it basically wasn't ready for the season with a bulldozer still creating the beach and a very limited menu in the only one (of the three) restaurants open whilst the others were still being decorated and prepared. I'm sure it could be a great place when fully open but it doesn't take much planning to ensure when your guests arrive, you should be fully prepared to offer your best service, especially as it is definitely not cheap.
Avoid May, and you'll probably be fine as Bodrum town is a bit down market so you'd be better off staying in the (fully functioning) hotel....

Stayed May 2014
3 Thank D6AN
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

For the price you pay, service is really terrible.
The service doesn't even compare to a two star hotel.
For example, we were waiting for a simple bottle of water for up to 1 hour while we were by the pool.
This kind of thing happens every day, we ordered room service with a simple basket of bread and it takes over half an hour.
They charged us for €50 for seven hard-boiled eggs.
The hotel has great potential however they really ruined it by the awful service and the way they overcharged people and try to rob the people.
Last year the massage for one hour was 220 Turkish Lira and this year it went up to €220. Even though last year was Six Sense Spa and one of the best in the world and this year it's an inferior group. So the price has gone up and the service has gone down. This didn't make sense to me and my wife and our 26 other guests that were holidaying with us in the Kempinski.
So please be aware while booking this hotel. Like I said, its got great potential but very bad service.

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank oscar_tip
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Beautiful location and impeccable service make up for the slightly corporate feel to this latest Kempinski hotel. You do need a car if you want to travel around but the on site facilities are fabulous. Prices are very high and they should at least provide a decent sized bottle of water per day but the breakfast is probably the best we have ever had. They had had a fire at the beachfront bar but took just two days to rebuild the area. Only slight disappointment was the Italian restaurant and a predictably male-oriented waiter at the Oriental restaurant but overall a fabulous stay. They could not accommodate our request for extra nights but the concierge personally booked us two other hotels and was hugely helpful. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for super deluxe overlooking the pool otherwise you may be at the end of the hotel where there i...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yaliciftlik
Hapimag Resort Sea Garden
#1 of 98 in Bodrum City
The Marmara, Bodrum
The Marmara, Bodrum
#3 of 98 in Bodrum City

Been to Kempinski Hotel Barbaros Bay? Share your experiences!