“Nice Location but an Average Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites High Point South
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Archdale
Williamsport, Maryland
“Nice Location but an Average Hotel”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This hotel is extremely convient to interstate with plenty of gas and resturants/dinners. It is a bit trick to get into. You either have to drive through the Hampton Inn's parking lot or you have drive past the hotel and take the very first right and enter from the rear parking area. A bit confussing if you have not been here before. The from desk staff were very personable and helpful. The lobby is warm and comfortable. The room are a bit tired and need updating but were clean and beds were comfortable. With the hotel being so close to the interstate it was an extremely quite location. The rooms are very much lacking of outlets for labtops and phone chargers. Thank goodness for a monster plug. Accessing their internet was difficult. Everytime I tried to get on my computer wanted to access the internet at the Hampton Inn next store. It was a 10 minute chore just to get connected to their internet. I am a Platnium HIE member and have stayed in HIE from NY to FLA and average 100-120 night a year in hotels. The location is great but an very average hotel at best.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side of the hotel are away from the interstate
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express & Suites High Point South, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Rusty S,

We appreciate you reviewing your recent stay with us and apologize that your visit fell a bit short of your expectations. Our team will discuss your feedback as we aim to improve in the future, and I am glad you found our lobby inviting and comfortable. If you'd like to discuss anything further, please give me a call at the number below. Thanks again for your comments and we hope to have another opportunity in the future to give you a great stay!

(434) 822-2161

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed here on business for 3 days, although the hotel is as nicely appointed as what you come to expect from a Holiday Inn, the room wreaked of smoke. So much that I called down to the front desk to complain and switch rooms but was told that the whole hotel was supposedly smoke free. Obviously some customers did not observe this policy. Moving on to the staff, I could not say more about how pleasant and helpful everyone was. Other than the smoke all went well.

Room Tip: Be wary if you do not smoke, be sure to specify at check in.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express & Suites High Point South, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Gene63,

Thanks for taking the time to review our Holiday Inn Express & Suites. While I'm happy to read you found our staff very friendly and helpful, I do apologize for the inconvenience you encountered. We are indeed a non-smoking property and understand the importance of providing smoke-free accommodating for our guests - our team will discuss your feedback in order to help avoid similar issues in the future. In the meantime, if you would like to discuss further, please reach out to me at the number below. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to give you a great stay the next time you're in High Point.

West Plains, Missouri
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This hotel is not far from Greensboro off the beaten path but close enough. I had a meeting at the Grandover Resort in Greensboro NC of course it was sold out but the rooms were $179.00 per night. The staff here is very friendly and helpful. On Wednesday evening they have a managers reception with pizza and beer, just a nice touch. I have stayed here before and its easy to get to, a nice outdoor pool and very clean.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express & Suites High Point South, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear Louis320,

We appreciate you taking the time to review us and are glad that we presented an affordable option at a good value for your trip to the Triad. I'm happy to read you found our staff helpful and friendly and that you could take advantage of our manager's reception. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your next stay!

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We usually try to stay at a Holiday Inn Express when we travel. In the past, we have had good experiences. Sadly, that was NOT the case with this property. If you are a non-smoker, you will not be able to handle the stench of smoke in the rooms. Trust me.

This was our first-time at this location and we will never go back. We knew it was smoking-optional hotel, but had no idea how bad it would be. The hotel was full, so we were given a "smoking" room and offered a can of fragrance spray. It was horrific. The smell literally made us sick to our stomachs and gave us a headache. It was truly nauseating. It was a cool evening and even with the windows wide open and using a scented candle bought, it was still horrid. The smell got into our clothes, our hair and everything. We have had this experience one other time when we were given a smoking room as a last option, but this was far beyond anything we have ever smelled (and we are former smokers). We were stuck though since we had already checked-in and paid. At one point in trying to go to sleep, we both contemplated just leaving anyway, but we couldn't afford to pay for another night somewhere else.

I have nothing against smokers and think they have their rights, too. My suggestion would be that this hotel be more ethical in it's policy toward non-smokers. If the smell is too much, non-smokers should be allowed the option to check-out with a full refund. This is a health issue.

The staff and breakfast were fine, as usual with this chain. It is unfortunate that the ownership does not honor the brand's reputation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites High Point South, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear BeachSnorkelLovers,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. It is regrettable we fell short of your expectations this particular day. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kalama, Washington
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Our family of 4 stayed at HI Express in Archdale, NC. Two queen size beds is always a must (instead of double beds) that is the good news. Room 202 was a very stuffy experience. No fan in the bathroom as this must be an older property.So after a shower the bathroom is so steamed up you have to wait for the air to clear to see the mirror. Room size felt small for four people. Breakfast was OK, nothing great for food quality.The dining area is nice, very clean and was able to watch the morning news. Staff was good, overall, and I did ask why the HPU rate was not available to us? They said "blackout date" so verify rate if you are expecting the HPU rate? They may not honor it. Pool - OK, cute patio area. Parking is good, lots of space. Location to HPU about 15 minutes. Would rather stay closer since this is not a place I want to stay again.

Room Tip: There are 5 smoking rooms on the third floor. AVOID the third floor if you don't want the smoke...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express & Suites High Point South, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear Conrad2610,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Holiday Inn Express & Suites. We appreciate feedback from all of our guests and would like to apologize that your stay fell short of your expectations. Providing a clean and comfortable guest room is one of our biggest priorities and our team will discuss your comments in order to improve our experience. Otherwise, we are glad that you found our staff friendly and helpful and liked our breakfast dining area. Some of our special rates are subject to exclusion on certain days so please be sure to call ahead as we always try to accommodate as best we can. If you would like to discuss any of this more in-depth, please don't hesitate to reach out to me at the number below. Thanks again for your review and we hope you'll give us another opportunity on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Well, first let me say I've stayed at this hotel 2 or 3 different times every year on business and this was the first time I have an issue. When I checked into my room (ground floor) I first noticed an odor - like a damp smell as if there were a Jacuzzi in the room or something. (which there was not) By my 2nd evening arriving back at the end of my work day - everything seemed a bit damp; my papers were damp - the room was not 'cold' from the AC but not humid. I guess I just thought it was the change in weather. But by day 3 (my last day) and now that I'm home - my clothes, suitcase, everything has that damp semi-mold like smell. I didn't say anything at the time (now I wish I would have) but once I was away from the room I notice how the smell was and I'm thinking the AC must not have worked correctly. The next time I go back I may not chose this hotel; that's sad cause I always try the HIX when available and normally works out safe for me.

Room Tip: Check the room before you accept it
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear hrmgrrbt,

Thank you for your review and we appreciate you staying with us several times over the past few years. I'd like to sincerely apologize that your most recent visit fell short of your expectations and our team will discuss your feedback promptly in order to address any issues and provide the cleanest environment we can. If you would like to speak about it further, please give me a call at the number below. We're grateful for your business and hope you will give us another opportunity the next time you're in High Point to show our improvements. Thanks again for your comments.

Tomball
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I love HIX and always choose this chain first if it is available in the locations I am traveling, While I take no joy in rating this particular location low, I felt I needed to let people know about my stay. First of all, I found it really strange that there were no directional signs to get people into the parking lot. I actually drove in to the Other chain hotel/Inn and had to drive through their parking lot to get to this hotel which i found very strange. Next once i made it inside I waited several minutes before I ever saw someone at the check in desk. There was one other man who came in after me who also had to wait to be acknowledged. The male was friendly enough when he greeted me, but then when the phone rang, it was like I was no longer there. In fact all he did was shove the paperwork in front of me motioning me to fill it out. As soon as I completed it, he just handed me the sleeve with two keys. He never said a word to me about anything. No thank you for being a priority or rewards club member, no snack, no directions to my room, no words of the breakfast hours, etc. because he was on the phone with another customer. I went ahead and summoned my waiting family from the car and we proceeded to find our room. As soon as we exited the elevator of the 3rd floor a very strange and pungent odor hit us all. Our room was no better. After we settled in, I dialed the front desk to ask about breakfast hours and if there were guest laundry facilities. Unfortunately the line just rang and rang and rang. We decided to head out in search of the laundry machines but couldn't find any. As we passed the front desk to exit, I asked a different male about laundry and breakfast. There are no machines in this particular location which was very inconvenient. There also was no hot tub which is always a plus at HIX.

The room itself was clean and exactly what you would expect from Holiday Inn Express (other than the smell). We always take along our pillows and small blankets for comfort when we travel. They all reeked from the odor and made our car stink after we left. My last gripe is that in the bathroom, there were 2 bottles of lotion and 1 bottle of shampoo. There was no hair conditioner which I always rely upon during my stays so that I don't have to deal with bursting or leaking bottles while traveling,

I have stayed in far better Holiday Inn Express hotels than this one. It seemed that attention to detail is not important at this location and all I can figure about the odor is perhaps the 3rd floor USED to be a smoking floor? I don't now, but it was awful. My daughter went down to the 2nd floor and said it didn't smell.

Again, I'm really sorry to rate this hotel as low as I did, but our stay really was disappointing.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites High Point South, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear RachelDG,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Archdale
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, High Point (Greensboro/Winston-Salem)
Fairfield Inn & Suites High Point Archdale
#4 of 14 in High Point
Hampton Inn Asheboro
Hampton Inn Asheboro
#1 of 6 in Asheboro

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites High Point South? Share your experiences!