“Delightful Thai food”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Jackson, NJ
“Delightful Thai food”
Reviewed 14 May 2010

I'm American born and my wife of 25 years is Thai, and the best Thai cook!

We ate there last year three times while on vacation and loved it. One of the best Thai restaurants we've been to - ever! I'll be going back to Asheville in a couple weeks and plan on at least one meal there while in town.

2 Thank dugernaut

Mills River, NC
“Lucky to eat there”
Reviewed 27 June 2009

This restaurant is amazing. The facade is no doubt older and usually the inside is nearly empty, but the food fills the stomach and gives the mouth a fantastic explosion of finely balanced flavors. Ask to see the photo album of meals if you can't decide what to get. Enjoy!

2 Thank YodelMonster
Asheville
“Best Thai Food Ever”
Reviewed 17 August 2008

This Thai food is worth leaving Asheville for and heading down to Arden/Fletcher. No other Thai food in Asheville (I have tried them all), or New Orleans for that matter, touches what they serve up. You will not find another Tom Yum soup that even comes close to the yummy goodness at Wanpen. Their egg rolls (P5) and curry dishes are scrumptious. If you're a vegetarian, they will accommodate you by making most dishes that are not in the vegetarian section of the menu, vegetarian.
If this restaurant were in the city of Asheville, I would eat there at least 3 times a week. It is busy during buffet times and an oasis on weekends when the restaurants downtown are serving up mediocre food with lines out the doors, I often look forward to a dinner at Wanpen with others who are "in the know." Whenever we have visiting guests, family or friends, we always include Wanpen in our plans. Wanpen is a destination worth the trip.

2 Thank maizymaizy
Western North Carolina
“Wanpen Just Does Not Pass Muster”
Reviewed 27 March 2008

I love Thai food! Just love it! I love traditional Thai as well as Americanized versions of Thai. I went to Wanpen with high hopes that I would find some awesome Thai food in A'ville! However, Wanpen just does not pass muster.

Wanpen is in a tired building on the side of Hendersonville Road in Arden. The neon sign has been broken for years. The building is surrounded by a parking lot, that more often then not, is vacant.(I actually thought the location was closed for a couple years, until someone told me that it was surprisingly open and still operating) I have been to Wanpen twice and both visits were disappointing, to say the least; 5-6 years ago, and one year ago.

The inside of the restaurant is as tired and worn as the outside and in need of an extra good cleaning. My first visit, some 5-6 years ago, we ate off the buffet. The food was mediocre at best and some of it was barely worth eating. I was very disappointed. 4 years later. we ventured back to Wanpen in hopes that we had an off night. This last time we ordered many different items off the menu in an effort to try various dishes and cure my Thai craving. Some of the dishes were inedible. Honestly, I really feel bad saying that... but they were horrible.

During our last visit, my husband returned from the men's room literally gagging and it was our cue to leave. He said the bathroom was the grossest he had ever encountered and was worried about the kitchen. My husband is in construction.... if a bathroom scared him.... it HAD to be horrifying! I do not know what this restaurants health rating is.... but it would be interesting to know. I would say it could not be better then a C-.

The pro is that there is never a wait and you are seated immediately. The con would be that the food is sub-par. Interestingly, I have heard that they have a great take-out following.

9 Thank NcMysteryShopper
Nashville
“My favorite Asian place, bar none.”
Reviewed 14 August 2007

Wanpen is a fantastic Thai restaurant. When I lived in Asheville, I would go there several times a week. The buffet is good, but the items from the menu are the best. "F7" Kang Panang Nuer is my favorite dish and I've not found a better version of it in any Thai restaurant I've been to in three states.

2 Thank parsonjody