“Thought it was already good, but getting even better!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Forest - MOVED

Black Forest
Cuisines: German, European, Central European
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bellefontaine, Ohio
“Thought it was already good, but getting even better!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Since the Black Forest is just a short distance from my elderly mother's home, and she grew up in a German household, this has been a favorite stop just about every time I have come to visit her over the last 10 yrs. We stopped in for lunch on Sept 27th, and had a great meal. The Weiner Schnitzel had just the right amount of crispiness and sat on a puddle of yummy sauce. The red cabbage had a slightly creamy consistency with a non overpowering amount of vinegar. The German Potato salad also had a nice touch of vinegar without hiding the other ingredients. I ended the meal with apple strudel (WOW). Definitely worth a visit.

• Visited September 2013

Burnsville, North Carolina
“Phenominal Food, great atmosphere, very knowledgeable server”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

My wife & I have lived in the area for 7 years, passed Black Forest by numerous times always saying " we need to try it " but never made it. Was concerned about cost. Whelp, a few days ago marked our 20th Anniversary so I decided to make reservations and give it a try. The reservation taker, a young girl who I didn't get her name, was among the friendliest I have ever spoken to on the phone. Upon arriving on a Tuesday evening it was VERY quiet, pin-drop quiet with only a few patrons in the dining area and a few in the lounge area which was totally isolated from the dining area. Ended up not needing reservations but was nice to ensure we got a seat. Even once there the dining room started to fill up with 25% and it was still very quiet, an unusual but pleasant change from our normal outings. We couldn't have been more pleased. Was a fine dining experience with middle of the road prices, plentiful food quantity and VERY quality taste. We had a great waiter, George, who not only new his stuff but recommended first timers (us) with a satisfying choice. He also provided enjoyable conversation too.The pace was quite laid back and slow. No rushing to make a decision or to eat. Ended up choosing the Veal sampler, quite the extensive plate with 5 different items. Tried Escargot for the first time ever as an appetizer, had two different kinds of bread with a unique spread. Wife had a glass of wine which was awesome but sadly the last on hand so there were no seconds. But the waiter did write down the wine name so we not only know for next time but so we can pick some up ourselves. Dessert was phenomenal as well.

Only negative I would give, as we do prefer booths, was the padding on the booth was VERY thin and felt my legs going to sleep half way into the meal. Kept having to shift side to side. Not the end of the world but just a note. They provide authentic, home made, FRESH food - their sausages (and all the fancy names that essentially mean that) are all made fresh and never frozen. This was a substantial difference that you can taste. Desserts and everything is made in-house and quite reasonably priced too. I would post some pictures if I was able to. I saw one reviewer bash the krout/cabbage while perhaps they got a bad batch neither my wife nor I had anything that tasted less than excellent. Part of our enjoyment is to try different things and experience various culinary tastes. Black Forest does not disappoint and we will have to go back to try many more things. After visiting here, having a great experience (especially on such an important occasion) we are sure to be back.

• Visited July 2013
Decatur, Illinois
“Great food and gemutlichkeit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Our daughter chose this restaurant for her post-wedding dinner. It was a destination wedding and she had chosen the Black Forest sight unseen. I was a bit apprehensive, but needlessly so. The restaurant was superb! We had a group of 44 people and everyone was impressed with the outstanding service as well as the quality and quantity of food. The servers could not have been more attentive. The chef was so accommodating to those in our party with special dietary needs. He even made a personal visit to our tables to ensure that our needs had been taken care of! My friends commented that this place offered first class service and are still raving about their meals. All in all, it was a perfect way to end a memorable day.

• Visited September 2013
Georgia
“Lacking in service and taste”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Poor excuse for authentic German cooking. Schnitzel was paper thin, tough and bland. Our server was indifferent to our complaints and rude.

• Visited July 2013
Smyrna, Georgia
“Excellent Dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Great German food. We love authentic German food and this was some of the best we've had in quite some time. The restaurant was set up in the old German style, the service was excellent and the food was outstanding. Definitely worth a stop for German food lovers. We'll be back the next time we visit Asheville.

Visited July 2013