“One of my favorite places”
Review of North Carolina Zoo

North Carolina Zoo
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Asheboro
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Love the zoo. I have been on several different occasions. Due to the heat there were two animal exhibits where the animals weren't out but that is to be expected. Otherwise great time as usual.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,327)
All reviews
in 18 reviews
"cages"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I have to admit that I was not keen on taking my friend to the zoo on a hot July day. But this is what she wanted to do her on birthday, so we did. I cannot say how wonderful the ENTIRE zoo staff was! From securing a wheelchair for us to ensuring that we had the shortest walk (although it was still pretty long) to getting her onto the carousel, the attention and assistance was top notch. We decided to only tour North America on Sunday, July 6, so the staff was kind enough to take us to the midpoint (where the carousel is and the meeting point for the two paths). We decided to go ahead and do the carousel before the after lunch crowd. My friend reminisced fondly about the last time she rode a carousel (93 years ago) and loved going round and round whilst listening to the lively music. After getting some celebratory ice cream and an animal necklace at the gift store, we started on the animal journey. And it's a long journey at that! Totally worth it despite the fact that some animals were in hiding or listless due to the heat. We did enjoy the bee exhibit and cooler places (Cypress Swamp, Streamside) as well as the sitting areas with information about trees and poetry. That is a really nice touch. I also was impressed by the small exhibit about conserving energy. We spent many hours, but there was a lot of shade and sitting areas (even a canoe) were well placed. It was important that we both stay as cool as possible and hydrated! I ended up getting a Family Membership so we can come back! The zoo membership is also good for other museums and aquariums in other states as well as NC. We will definitely be back in the Fall to see Africa when it's a bit cooler.
A big thanks to everyone at the zoo who not only wished my friend a HB, but also went out of their way to make it over the top!

3  Thank smlnmyt
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I was expecting to see a more open space for the animals to roam with the zoo being on a conservation. They animals just seemed restricted in their small exhibits.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

What a great zoo! As a NC native I don't know why I didn't go before now. It's so big you really need 2 days to fully enjoy it. Come early to beat the crowds and the heat of summer. Well planned trails, lots and lots of walking. Reasonably priced refreshments...surprisingly good burger and fries! We arrived just after opening around 9am and left as the gates closed at 5pm and we didn't even stop at a gift shop...there's that much to see.

1  Thank Judy P
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 July 2014

What a wonderful way to spend the day. The North Carolina Zoo is a great place for young and old. Come early and take your time. I suggest you start in Africa and work your way to N America. There are trams to get you to where you want to go.

The animals are in natural settings. As you walk the paths there are different vantage points where you can observe and get a good look at the animals. The park rangers were helpful and informative. The elephants were my favorite.

There are plenty of places to stop and rest under a shade tree along the way. Drinking fountains are plentiful as are places to grab a snack and a soda. The children can cool off at the sprinklers at Garden Friends Playground.

This was my first visit but not my last.

3  Thank Peter S