“Great Price, but not the cleanest and thin walls”

Palm Suites of Atlantic Beach
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Durham, North Carolina, United States
“Great Price, but not the cleanest and thin walls”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here during a last minute weekend getaway to the Crystal Coast that we took on a whim. While the staff was friendly and it had a pretty view of the sound AND my husband would gladly stay there again, I would not. My main complaints: First, it didn't feel very clean. It had a nice smell (unlike some cheap hotels we stayed in in our college days) but the carpet was sticky feeling to my feet and some crevices in the bathroom looked like they had been missed more than once during cleanings. The decorative accents, like throw pillows and rugs (which I don't even think are necessary) were really worn, which just reminds you of how many people have been through there and doesn't really allow you to feel like you are there on a secluded romantic getaway. The other big drawback: noise. I could hear the man in the room beside us talking very clearly and could even hear him snoring that night. It made me feel like we had to whisper. 20 year old, college me would have loved this place because of its value, but 24 year old, married me was too worried about picking up a disease/hearing something I didn't want to hear to truly enjoy it.

Room Tip: Sound side rooms have a pretty view. Street side rooms look at the liquor store.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cameron S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Pikeville, Kentucky
Reviewed 14 March 2013

My best friend and I are about as apple pie as it gets and wanted a quiet couple of days away from home for Spring Break. This place looked perfect and we were planning to pay for two or three nights and just spend our time on the beach or exploring the little town. All of our friends are going to have a wild time somewhere down South and that's just not our style so we wanted to stay here. However when we called to make our reservation we were told you must be 25 to reserve a room. When I told the man "Michael" that we weren't 25 he said "Uh, yeah we don't do the whole Spring Break thing". =( We were really excited to come and stay here because our budget is tight and the prices were perfect but I guess we'll have to look elsewhere. Oh well - just a heads up to anyone else that has been given a bad reputation by other Spring Breakers and aren't 25. They don't tell you that on their website or anywhere on here.

Room Tip: You have to be TWENTY FIVE to get a room.
Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mikkibug

Travellers are raving about these Atlantic Beach hotels

Carolina Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 February 2013

A group of six friends stayed at the Palm Suites for a weekend get-together. We brought our boats so were excited about the bonus of the free boat ramp and slips. However, the ramp is very narrow and the slips have no ropes or pulleys for docking and it is not floating docks. I understand it was free with rental, but it was very difficult to secure our boats.

The front desk staff was very helpful and the property was well kept. Our rooms were clean and neat. However, as other reviews on here state-room 104 is lacking. There is only a 19 inch (if that big) TV and stains from front to back on the carpets. Also this room is right by the parking lot and pool so is probably loud in the summer. The other two rooms were definitely nicer. I would recommend a room on the end of the building away from the pool.

All in all, it was a great time and the rooms are very well equipped, but keep in mind they are privately owned, so ask questions about the specific room you are assigned to make sure it will have everything you expect.

Room Tip: Avoid room 104 if you want to see the television.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank goheels120
Kenansville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I usually stay in a "chain" hotel while down on business but had pretty much gotten disgusted with the local HIE down there. I tried this and loved it! I would have given it a 4.5 because the blinds over the sliding glass door did not work well and the light from across the street (ABC Superstore) shown into the sleeping area (think the Seinfeld episode with Kramer and the Kenny Rogers Chicken). The place was clean and really pretty. Each room is individually owned so some may not be as nice as others but I asked the guy at the desk to pick me out one that he thought would be good and I was very pleased with it. The room I was in was equipped with everything I would need if I wanted to stay for a week. Now, don't expect the great big fluffy towels and the shampoo and body wash you'd get at a chain hotel. And, take your own hair dryer but otherwise I'd highly recommend it. As a matter of fact, planning to reserve a room in November for several nights for a getaway with my husband.

Room Tip: Look at the pictures in the gallery and if you see something you like, ask the person at the hotel t...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 October 2012

My husband and I came here from California during the Seafood Festival - Oct 4-9 and to visit family. The first room (#216) we had wasn't cleaned well; therefore, William moved us to @ 216 which was very nice and made sure we were happy. The staff was very pleasant; Michael who checked us in was very professional. There was another gentleman at the front desk who was helpful as well. The housekeeper was courteous and to let her know if we needed anything.

We highly recommend Palm Suites and will come back again. We had a nice view sound view!

Room Tip: Room 214 on the sound side was quiet with beautiful view. The a/c units are a little loud but not un...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikeNaomi
Yorktown
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We came down for the Seafood Festival - Oct 5th -8th and stayed at Palm Suites. Not really knowing what to expect, we were pleasantly surprised. The room was spotless, pleasant people at front desk and the grounds/pool seem well maintained. This was a perfect location and great room for 2 people. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yktntraveler
North Carolina
Reviewed 6 October 2012

My friend and I got Room 132 at this low-cost condotel. It was a brightly-decorated bi-level room with two double beds on the upper level and a small table and chairs plus a small sofa in the lower area. Just enough separation was provided to let one person watch TV while the other slept or read. The desk people were very accommodating both on the phone and in person. Everything was perfectly clean and pleasant. The room suited two old friends but would also be good for a couple with two young children. I don't know what the other rooms are like, of course, but ours was perfectly fine.

Room Tip: If you enjoy fresh air, Room 132 is great. Just turn off the noisy air conditioner and open the slid...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank marilynpearl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
#3 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
#1 of 5 in Morehead City
Hampton Inn Morehead City
Hampton Inn Morehead City
#2 of 5 in Morehead City

Been to Palm Suites of Atlantic Beach? Share your experiences!