A Place at the Beach III
US$277
Doubletree.com
The Sand Dollar Motel(Atlantic Beach)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$85
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach(Atlantic Beach)(Great Value!)
US$141
QualityInn
Caribbe Inn(Atlantic Beach)
Peppertree Resort(Atlantic Beach)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Oceanana Family Motel(Atlantic Beach)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswater slidesoutdoor pooltennis courtstime sharethrough rciliving roommini golftrundle bedputt puttdining tablefirst floorocean viewoff seasonmorehead cityfull kitchenunitelevator
Reviewed 19 November 2013

If you come to this resort, do not expect much in the way of luxury. This property was built over 30 years ago - and it shows! Odd layout to get to your condo - and the bedroom window faces into the hall in most units. Original fixtures and furnishings, threadbare and dingy rugs. I'm writing this to give people an honest opinion of what to expect. They ARE starting renovations, which will improve this complex greatly.
You can see that they are really trying here. Grounds are clean and well kept. The units are clean, but as above.
The Good:
Office staff is simply amazing!! They know what they have to deal with and are gracious enough to acknowledge it. My original condo (218) was just scary! I went back the next day and they offered me four other units. They are still the same furnishings, but it made all the difference. I chose 221, which looked directly onto the dunes/ ocean and had an open breezeway, so I didn't feel like I was in a tomb.
They have new windows and quality blinds in each unit.
They are really working on the grounds, maintenance people out every day keeping the property neat and clean.
Direct ocean access!
They have LOADS of activities for your use. Basketball, tennis, shuffleboard, bikes to use, indoor pool and a neat outdoor pool with a water slide.
The Bad:
As stated above, the furnishings. Dated and worn out. Kitchens in both units were incomplete. The front staff offered to assist me with getting the basics that I needed, but I had already bought them.
Although they installed elevators recently, there are no carts to bring up your luggage and groceries. You are lugging all your gear down those weird hallways.
The qone bedroom set up ( although it says it sleeps six) is truly odd. You can put two in the bed, two on the worn out sleeper sofa, but the other two? There is an alcove(?) that has a twin bed, and an accordion door. I don't really feel that this could comfortably sleep six adults!!
The balcony is tiny! Just enough for two chairs and a beverage table. It worked for me, and I am happy about that.

I'd like to give a better rating due to the outstanding customer service I received, but with the general furnishings, in good conscience - can't.
In all honesty, I would wait a year, for the renos to be done, and try again. You will not be disappointed. They did show me one of the updated 2 bedroom units, and it was really nice. The layout was open and spacious.
Thank you again to Kimbra and Caron for saving my vacation!!!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Rudibee
Kimber B, Manager at A Place at the Beach III, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback. Please contact us at 252-247-0906 prior to your future reservations here at APATB and we will make sure your stay will be better. We are very Thankful to have a great staff here on site and we appreciate your kind words for our Front Office staff. We look forward to visiting again with you and hope you have a safe and wonderful holiday season.

Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

It Is The Best Place By Far. My Family And I Have Been Staying Here Since I Was Born. So Many Great Memories Have Been Made Over The Years. If You're Luck You May Run Into The Same Families You Meet On Previous Vacations While Vacationing Here. Great Location. Amazing Staff. Amazing Kid Activities And Family Activities. A Family Place.

• Stayed: February 2013
Kimber B, Manager at A Place at the Beach III, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for staying with us again this year and we are looking forward to all the fabulous improvements/updates that are being scheduled for 2014. If you have any questions please give us a call and we will be glad to help you any way possible.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Nice location on the beach in walking distance to a state park. Has two pools, one indoors. Time share condos are clean but dated. Appliances are 20+ years old. The unit we stayed in is billed as a 2 bedroom but one room fits only a twin bed. Kitchen is cramped. Unit needs a face lift but it was clean.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Kimber B, Manager at A Place at the Beach III, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for staying with us here at APATB. I hope that you enjoyed the beach , Fort Macon and the lovely weather we have been having. We will have updates on all the upcoming renovations to our resort in 2014 posted here on Trip advisor. We hope you will come and visit with us again soon. Have a wonderful afternoon.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

This place has it's ups and downs. We stayed in a 2BR unit and it was spacious with a nice balcony overlooking the ocean. The inside of the main unit building was unlike any I've ever seen. It's an open concept with walkways between the different units, on stilts, and open air. It was totally charming.

The units are dated, with thinning carpet and dated furniture, and it has old fashioned key locks, but that kind of thing doesn't bother me, as long as it's clean and has the amenities I need. It does, and our 2BR unit had a washer & dryer, which is always a plus. The nightstand in our bedroom had a broken drawer. The place is OLD. Before you go further, understand that I honestly had no problems with the unit, but I had to tell the truth.

Here are the downsides: First, I am a timeshare owner and this was a trade. There are no beach towels provided and no towel exchange! Really? We actually had to go to the local beach store & buy a towel for the pool! When I complained about this to other people, they looked at me like I was from another planet. Apparently, they're all 'owners' and they are prepared for this. I tried to explain that people who travel on planes or from another country, especially, are not going to come equipped with beach towels. They all thought I was some kind of uneducated rube for not knowing that I had to bring my own towel. I let it go, but...um....

I found the 'wrist band policy' kind of stupid. Instead of any kind of updated rubber wrist bracelet or other kind of 'user friendly' ID, they insist you wear this obnoxious rubber hair-type band with a big red or blue tag to show that you belong here and the guards constantly walk around and want to see it in order for you to be allowed at the pool. Apparently, they have a problem with locals strolling into the pool area from the beach. OK. I get it, but invest a few bucks into a modern method of ID.

Overall, I loved this destination and I really had no real issues with the resort, but it certainly wasn't anything special and given the hassle of beach towels and gulag guards at the pool, I probably wouldn't go back here if I had other options. Sorry. Just stating the truth.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank udogsgal
Kimber B, Manager at A Place at the Beach III, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Thank you for your honesty on our Resort. In the year 2014 all the timeshare units will be renovated and we will have new roofs on the buildings. We unfortuneatly do not have the facilities on site for cleaning linens so that is why we do not provide a towel exchange. The bands are new as of 2013 and many of our owners/guests find them hastle free while on site and enjoying all our amenities however there are a few that are still not comfortable wearing them or have medical reasons why they need to hold on to them instead of wearing them. The Security officers that are onsite are here to maintain a safe and family friendly enviornment for our owners and guests. We hope that in the future you will return to APATB and have a better vacation. Have a great day!

Reviewed 5 September 2013

The place is a little aged and in need of a face-lift. Having said that, this has all of the amenities for all ages. The grounds are lovely and the staff is very helpful and friendly. There are two huge pools, one of which is inside, hot tubs, basketball courts, putt-putt, picnic areas, and right on the beach. Our unit was clean and very comfortable. With only a few renovations, it would be perfect. APAB is conveniently located to many restaurants, shops, Fort Macon, Beaufort. Just beware of any sales pitches you may hear about.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bstrjh
Kimber B, Manager at A Place at the Beach III, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about our resort. We hope you will visit us again soon.