“Mediocre at Best”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The Double Tree at Atlantic Beach was decent, at best. I've always associated Hilton with being a small step above your average two star economy hotel, but this one was not. The room was not filthy, but it was certainly not sparkling clean. The bathroom fixtures were dated and dingy, and there was no fan to remove moisture from bath/shower. The air conditioner was very loud, although it did keep the room cool. The bed, however, was very comfortable and sheets and bedding were fresh. The comfortable bed didn't do much good for sleep because the hotel played really loud music outside and had it not been for several glasses of wine, I doubt I would have ever gotten to sleep. I suppose it is very difficult to keep a hotel on the beach clean and new, but I had higher expectations for this hotel. The staff was luke warm, but helpful. This might have been because there were lots of grumpy parents with small children trying to get in a last minute summer vacation. My experience with the restaurant in the hotel was poor, and the breakfast will run you about $30 for a couple. After a bite of a very stale waffle and rubbery eggs, I had boxed cereal and fruit. In any event, the hotel was on the beach and fairly reasonably priced. Still, I think I'll try my luck elsewhere next time.

3  Thank Ruth R
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

We're sincerely sorry to hear that you were not 100% satisfied with your recent stay. We are always looking for ways to improve our hotel and your suggestions will certainly be helpful in doing so. If you wish to talk to management more about your stay please contact our GM, Rolando.Hernandez3@hilton.com.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel did not meet Hilton standards at all. When we arrived our room had dirty washcloths in the shower. The room smelled musty and overall the cleanliness of the hotel was not up to par. We went for a wedding weekend and every one else I spoke to staying there had similar issues. Would not stay again

2  Thank Stephanie N

We're sorry to hear about the housekeeping issues and we surely hope they were handled when brought to the attention of management.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

As prior reviewers mentioned, there are positives AND negative.

Postives: * Proximity to the beach, also nice to have the pier for when you want to be AT the beach but not deal with the sand. * Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful! Joan provided a list of pizza delivery places (due to our late arrival and our being tired) * Who doesn't love a chocolate chip cookie? * Poolside/pierside bar with some food options for lunch * Fresh pool/beach towels and I didn't have to bring home dirty ones * Quick response from engineering when tv remote control was missing upon arrival

Negatives: * Though we spent the entire day at the beach & pool, housekeeping didn't service our room. Stopped at the front desk before going out to dinner & they did come while we were gone. However, they only made the bed and replaced the towels. Trash wasn't emptied (inc pizza box sitting on top of trash can) * The property is pet-friendly however, it wasn't a specific section of the hotel as we did not have a pet & could hear a dog barking right across the hall very often. * A/C unit was very loud (covered sound of dog barking if it happened at night) but seemed to cool inconsistently * Music at the outdoor pool was unusually loud. I enjoy a good "party atmosphere" too but it would be nice to be able to carry on a conversation with my husband. We tried several locations around the pool with only minimal improvement. * We checked-in about 10pm on Fri night & finding a parking spot was difficult. * No non-alcoholic beers available at the bar & bartender seemed annoyed we'd even asked. I did order a drink, but only 1, mainly due to her unfriendly attitude. (and it wasn't busy...) My husband did leave a tip because we always do, but she didn't deserve it, to be honest. * If poolside "service" matters to you, don't expect it here. Only asked once during 2 full days as we sat poolside. * Bathroom by the pool is a 1-seater...I waited all but 1 time & it was NOT serviced at all on Sunday. It became increasingly DIRTY as the day progressed, trash was overflowing and the smooth-serviced floor tile (not water friendly) became quite slippery. Yes, there were "slippery when wet" signs, but even being careful it was dangerous. Saturday that didn't seem to be the case.

Expected more from a Hilton property as even their 'cheaper' brands seem to have trained their staff better.

Room Tip: Oceanview rooms: You CAN see the ocean, but not really enjoy it. Our room (east side) overlooked t...
1  Thank 10OutAndAbout10

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are sorry to hear that your stay was not everything that you had hoped and we assure you that your comments and suggestions will be used in a positive way. Thank you again for choosing us.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The only complaint that I had was that there wasn't any toilet paper in the public areas restrooms and trash was over flowing. Reservation was poor I called in to ask questions the rep stated that breakfast was included in our room rate and that we had ocean front view. Upon arrival none of this was true we didn't receive breakfast with our room rate and we were booked for a ocean view room not ocean front.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

We're very sorry to hear about the issue with your reservation and we appreciate you letting us know about it so that we can make sure this is handled accordingly. We hope the rest of your stay was more enjoyable and we certainly hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was a wonderful experience! We stayed 08/11-08/15. We checked in, and had a slight hiccup with the linens in our room. The front desk sent housekeeping up immediately. *Shaunta made sure to call and apologize for any inconvenience and offered a complementary pass. The stay was great! We were on the 8th floor in an ocean view room. The "view" was fantastic!! We had the beach views to the left and the Inter-coastal on the right. We had a wonderful experience with the staff, everyone was so nice and hospitable. Great location - restaurants and shopping close by. We hung out on the beach everyday and beach attendants offered to bring menus for beverages and food from Molly's beach-side bar & grill located at the Doubletree Pier. We will definitely return!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

We're so happy to hear that our hotel was exactly what you were looking for during your recent vacation. Thank you for recognizing our staff by name so we can take the time to let them know what a great job they're doing!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Quite disappointed by this hotel. Maybe more so by what I have come to expect from Hilton rather than the hotel itself. The room we reserved was a King bed with Ocean View and balcony. The room itself was quite large and comfortable with a sitting area and computer desk. The bathroom, on the other hand, was one of the smallest bathrooms I've seen in a Hilton Hotel. There was no way that the two of us could be in the bathroom at the same time. The balcony was a huge disappointment. When somebody says balcony to me I think there should at least be room for a small table and a couple of chairs. Not so in this hotel. The balcony was a wedge shape with the small end of the wedge being about a foot wide and the large end being perhaps two feet wide. No chairs, not table, no room to even stand with a view of the ocean. The only way to see the ocean was to stand inside the room and peek out sideways. I found out from other guests that there wasn't any chairs or tables on any of the balconies, to include the ocean front rooms. The hotel was pet friendly which I thought would be fine but after watching young adults allow their dogs to defacate in the area around the childrens play area, I changed my mind. Also, we had at least one flea in our room and my wife was bitten several times. I know it was a flea because I was able to kill it and left it on the desk for the maintenance personnel. When I checked out, the receptionist apologized and said she would have maintenance take care of it. The hotel has a restaurant. What I didn't realize when I booked the room was that there wouldn't be any coffee available in the Lobby as there is in the Hampton Inns or Embassy Suites. There was a coffeemaker in the room but those things never make the same quality cup of coffee that you can get from the Lobbies of the other hotels. There was also no refrigerator or microwave in the room. Seems like an obvious attempt to force people to utilize the over priced restaurant. My last complaint was the smoking. Although the hotel is a smoke free facility, they allowed smoking pretty much everywhere outside. It was especially prevalent around the pool which made for some unpleasantness while trying to enjoy the facilities. One man was even smoking cigars. All in all, the hotel was a disappointment for my wife and me. But again, this may have been due to unrealistic expectations on our part. I can say that I will not use Double Tree again.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

We're sincerely sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. We are currently in the process of management changes which will also bring about other changes throughout our hotel. We hope you will give us another chance the next time you're in the area and again we are sorry to hear that your stay was not fully satisfying.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I want to be fair: there were things I really liked about DoubleTree, and there were things I wasn't so happy about.

Good:
1) They greeted me with warm chocolate chip cookies when I checked in for every member of my party. That might not seem like much, but it was a really nice touch.
2) The hotel has a tokens-for-towels program. When you arrive, you're given a plastic token for everyone in your party. You can trade in the tokens at the gift shop for clean pool or beach towels. When you're done, you drop off the towels and receive clean towels or your tokens back. You can do this as often as you need to. It really helped not having to wait for the same set of beach towels to dry off between trips down to the beach. Speaking of which...
3) The hotel has two pools, a hot tub, and incredibly convenient beach access.
4) The room was clean.
5) I requested and was (eventually) provided with a rollaway bed and a mini-fridge at no additional cost.

Bad:
1) The hotel does NOT provide a complementary breakfast, which is a shame considering how pricey it is.
2) The air conditioner in our room was incredibly loud.
3) I'm pretty sure the water coming out of the tap was hot enough to cause third-degree burns if you turned it all the way up. Some people may like that, but it's quite a shock if you're not expecting it.
4) The first refrigerator we received did not work: the rubber seal across the top of the door was completely missing, allowing any "cold" air to leak out. We called the front door and a maintenance person was quick to bring us a new one. It worked better, but the seal was still loose. The maintenance person said that most of the hotel's mini-fridges are in need of repair or replacement. Also, the fact that you even have to request a refrigerator in a hotel that expensive is a little off-putting, but no big deal.
5) The room we booked was billed as an "ocean view" room, which was technically true: we could in fact see the ocean. Our side of the hotel was at a 90º angle to the ocean front, so we had a nice view of the water behind a big ugly cooling tower and the lobby roof.

We were all comfortable enough during our stay, so I don't want to harp too much on the minor annoyances. Still, the fact that we paid so much for a hotel room and had to face ANY annoyances is hard to reconcile. I think DoubleTree should invest some of their income in fixing these issues, or significantly lower their rates.

Room Tip: If you want an uninterrupted beach view, you may have to request a room on the side that actually fa...
3  Thank Lucas C

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to let us know how your stay went! We're glad to hear that when you had an issue it was handled quickly and efficiently by our staff. We do agree that having issues is not ideal but we assure you that your review will assist us in bettering our property in many ways!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
#1 of 5 in Morehead City
Palm Suites of Atlantic Beach
Palm Suites of Atlantic Beach
#7 of 9 in Atlantic Beach

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!