Sandpiper Motel
US$151
US$133
Doubletree.com
The Sand Dollar Motel(Atlantic Beach)(Great Value!)
US$128
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach(Atlantic Beach)(Great Value!)
US$111
Peppertree Resort(Atlantic Beach)
TripAdvisor
Palm Suites(Atlantic Beach)
TripAdvisor
Oceanana Family Motel(Atlantic Beach)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsice machinecedar islandsalter pathroom was cleanplace to staynice poolnext morningtowelsbedsmicrowave
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My wife and I recently went to the beach for one day and didn't want to drive home the same day. I booked a room here one week in advance. I have to echo the reviews of some others. Nasty rooms. Nasty bed/sheets. Awful showers mainly because they were old. But, the cherry on top was the paper thin walls mixed with drunken guests. Sleazy doesn't begin to describe this place. You couldn't pay me to stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank weekender198
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I am from Goldsboro and I stayed at this motel and had a very wonderful and pleasant experience. My room was very clean and the staff and housekeepers were very nice and professional....I will return there again...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Myself and 8 family members rented couple of rooms for weekend.
Okay hotel for the price and the availability.
Major Complaint: The Pool. It is pretty and looks clean, but I noticed right away that there was no chlorine smell. I dismissed that and dove in anyway. I wore my new deep black bathing suit with the attached black shorts. My daughter had one like it but it was deep blue. My niece had on a new blue Hello Kitty bikini and my sister wore a green shirt over her suit (as not to sunburn). When we emerged an hour and half later, my bathing suit on top was grey and bottoms were deep BROWN. Daughter now has a two toned dull blue suit and Hello Kitty is now on a white bikini for my 4 year old nephew. Sister's green shirt was now a light aqua. That alarmed me, but damage done and no one to complain to, I just sighed. Next day, yes, we went back in and the suits stayed about the same color, but after an hour, both myself and one of my nephews began to have a burning sensation all over...we both had to jump out and run to wash off. I did not go back in the pool.
Other complaints: Room security was not high. No deadbolts and the locks on the door (standard door handles) did not work properly. No microwave in room and freezer in minifridge was iced over.
Not once did we get more toilet tissue and we had to find the maids and borrow the vacuum to clean floor ourselves.
The towels provided are a joke and there was no mat or anything to step out of shower on.
Water in shower was very unpredictable.

Perks: Ice machine outside worked well.
Pool had area to rinse off with fresh water.
Beds were soft and clean.
TV had basic cable channels and WIFI included in price.
Free Coffee and doughnuts in the AM provided in the office.
Outside chairs to sit on as well.
Despite being very booked, the rooms were quiet.

So: the only real complaint I had was with the pool water. It must have had straight up bleach in it. No other explanation.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side/corners are quiet. And be sure to ask about the pool and if it is bleached or has chlorine. If in doubt, do not wear your bathing suit..just throw on some old clothes and if you begin to burn....get out fast.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 701dm701
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We had a bad experience with the Sand Dollar motel and weren't sure if we would get a room because of the 4th of July week but this motel saved us. We went to ask them if they could accommodate our large family...they arranged for us to have 2 rooms (1 kitchenette and 1 double) for less than the Sand Dollar charged for 1 night for a tiny room that only sleeps 4...When I checked in the people were so welcoming and friendly...they showed me the rooms they had for us and asked if they would work. The rooms were clean, the outside was clean and they were well stocked. The kitchenette didn't have any pots and pans or plates and silverware so the owners went and bought everything for us to make our stay comfortable....I had an enjoyable vacation and we loved it so much we got an extra night and we are planning a return trip every year and we will still stay with the Sandpiper motel...

Room Tip: I absolutely loved the rooms we had...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank wldwestnc
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I had no issues at all and enjoyed my stay.

Very friendly and helpful welcome from the owners son who is the manager. Location is good with a mere few minutes walk to the beach front. The road in front did not disturb me at all.

My room was recently refurbished and it was absolutely fine...clean, modern and comfy.
The pool is lovely...bright, spotless with a clean surround.

I see reviews that complain of bad rooms. I believe they are remodelling as funds allow and I wish the owners well as this will for sure make this a very good motel indeed, and be good for profits. I have always been a firm believer in my own business (property rentals) in keeping my business up to date/refurbishing and doing so on a regular basis.

If my room is the norm or will be then this is a good place to spend a night or more.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo