“Laid back family stop”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Oceanana Family Motel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Reviewed 6 August 2013

My family and I have been to the Oceana twice in the last couple of years. Just today we reserved a one bedroom suite for a vacation in September. We enjoy so many of the things about this place. The staff is always friendly, my daughter enjoys the playground and we all love the pool. We really appreciate that the staff brings your things to the ocean including beach chairs towels umbrellas and sets everything up for you. The breakfast provided during the in the season times is just fine. It isn't a made to order breakfast but there are plenty of cereals and cinnamon bun type snaks. I always try to fill up on as much as I can so that I don't get hungry during the day riding the waves and running around to Beaufort the other attractions. The hotel is also within walking distance of restaurants and shopping. There is no doubt that this place is been here for quite a while but this does not bother me. There are a lot of places in ocean cities that will charge you dearly just for the mere fact that they are at the ocean this is not the case with the Oceana. To the reviewers who complained that other guests look like rednecks or were low class they should save the complaints for their staff of nannies and butlers when they get home to their mcmansions.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Beach_L0ver33

Reviewed 3 August 2013

We just left the resort and doesn't have plan to come back. Me and my husband are so disappointed of bringing our kids in that place. We saw a good reviews about it but that's not what we expecting. Very low class place, nasty pool, cockroaches,rabid fox around, unsafe stair way, and breakfast was comprised of nothing but starches. We checked out at 1pm but no one in the office so we just left the key and bounce and for sure will never come back in this place anymore. The only thing I like in this place is the staff are very friendly and helpful. Other than that? Everything are sucks.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank kendeedave
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Ok so it's not fancy BUT the room was clean and comfortable and cool! The free breakfast was amazing, offering a plethora of healthy and not so healthy choices. Not bacon and eggs ( go to a restaurant if you want that) but there were too many choices to name!! The staff are friendly and what really impressed me and inspired this review was the fact that you have a private beach area with lounge chairs and umbrellas that THE Beach Attendants bring to the beach for you and set up!!!!! Where YOU want to sit, not beside a stranger because the chairs in a row look nice! They also have free wifi (awesome) cable and the pier with a grill is within walking distance! Yep I will be back, probably again this year and will bring my grandsons because the playground is THE best! Thanks Oceana for an amazing weekend!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Tamidavis5855
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We arrived at the hotel around 1:30 am after traveling for 7 hours. Got to our cinderblock room with 2 double beds, that dated around 1975, in the 'newer' section of the hotel. Not impressed with the room at all, and the LARGE 2" long 'dead' cockroach in the middle of the hotel room; that, after a few mins rolled over and proceeded to run around!! Since it was so late, we unwillingly stayed, but promptly left first thing in the morning after the horrible free breakfast, we were booked for 3 nights. Nice beach, but horrible property and the clientele at the hotel was not the best either. We enjoyed the rest of our stay at the Doubletree down the road for less $$!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank srramd91
TraceCooperNC, Owner at Oceanana Family Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

We are sorry that you had such a bad experience at the Oceanana, especially after such a long drive to get here. We are in the process of a large scale, multi-year renovation of the property. To date, we have renovated about one-third of our rooms. Unfortunately, your room was not one of our newly renovated rooms, but we plan to update the building you stayed in (our Down East building) this off-season. Our renovations include new wall coverings (no more cinder blocks), new doors and windows, new furniture, new vanities and new fixtures. Ours is an older property, but we are working hard to bring it up-to-date in the coming year.

Renovations aside, having any insects in your room is obviously not acceptable. We scheduled a full treatment of the building by our pest control provider to ensure that this remains an isolated incident.

I will check with our front desk staff to see if you mentioned the problems you encountered upon checking out as we would like to credit back a portion of the room charges for the night you stayed with us.

Again, we are sorry that your stay was unpleasant. We are addressing the problems you had so that they will not be an issue for future guests.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

This property is located on the beach, but no rooms are oceanfront. The rooms are prison-like and dated (cinder blocks painted white with no decor, very quiet), but the location is great. Very nice pool with great playground right on the beach. Good restaurants within walking distance. The clientele is pretty red in the neck, but the service is good. No need to bring chairs and umbrellas, as they bring them to you on the beach.

Room Tip: rooms away from the beach are very close to Amos Mosquito's. their buzzers work in those rooms...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank square8268
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I read the reviews on here & booked a weekend vacation for my family. We checked in, moved our stuff in, then checked out. We were on the second floor. The steps looked like they were going to rot. I was scared I wouldn't make it up or back down. There was no regular door to the room - only sliding glass doors. The railway outside the door only had two rails. I have a 2 year old. I kept imagining him getting away from me, just for a second, and falling through. I knew I couldn't sleep in the room for fear of the sliding door (which was tricky to lock) and the horrible railing. The comforter had pet hair on it. We tried to turn the tv on and a plastic bag fell down from somewhere. The fridge was in the bathroom, which was disgusting to me. We walked around the hotel grounds, and it looked like it was falling apart. I read on here that they were undergoing major renovations, but I saw nothing being done.Yes, I knew that it was an older establishment and yes, I paid for a basic room. But it still wasn't worth what we paid. If I was just going with my husband, or a few friends, I would not have such a problem with the hotel. But it is not a place for a family with young children. On a positive note, the staff was very nice and they did give us a full refund.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Monica P
TraceCooperNC, Owner at Oceanana Family Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2013

We are sorry that you did not feel that our motel was family friendly. We have been catering to families for over 50 years and want to continue to do so in the future and we appreciate taking the time to let us know about your concerns.

As you noted, we are in the midst of a major renovation which is addressing many of the issues you mentioned in this review. Specifically, we are replacing the doors and windows in rooms as well as upgrading some of our staircases and railings. All of our stairs and railings are structurally sound, however they were constructed at a time when the building code did nor require the small gaps in rails and posts that current codes require.

To date, we have renovated about one-third of our rooms and we recommend that potential guests request a newly renovated room when making a reservation. In the middle of the summer season when the motel is full with over a hundred families, we aren't able to perform serious renovations, which is why you may not have seen much work going on on the night you stayed with us.

Again, we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations and are working to address the problems that you mentioned.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Older establishment, but they are in the middle of a major renovation. Most of the work is done. Great location right on the ocean. I have been going there for years. Can't beat the service-- a family run business that has had the same staff for years. There is no corporate office in a far away big city. The owners are on site and I like it that way.

Room Tip: No fitness center or room service.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Sandpiper Motel
Sandpiper Motel
#9 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
3 mi away
Hampton Inn Morehead City
Hampton Inn Morehead City
#2 of 5 in Morehead City

Been to Oceanana Family Motel? Share your experiences!