“Not that great”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Oceanana Family Motel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
“Not that great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2004

My family spent a weekend at the Oceana and enjoyed our trip for the most part - but did not like our room at all. It was a struggle just to get in our overpriced room, the key would not work and we had to wait for another key to be made - it worked, but barely - and the door was still nearly impossible to force open. The room has a terribly musty odor, the mattresses were dirty and the linens were old and not fresh at all. This was possibly the worst night's sleep ever! Don't be fooled by the free breakfast on the patio either. It consisted of canned fruits, pre-packed pastries and the like - all uncovered and all absolutely swarming with FLIES while the hotel workers attending the breakfast bar just leaned back. The pool area was nice and children (who are not usually picky) will enjoy the old wooden dirty play equipment. The grassy areas of the resort where you can sit back and enjoy the ocean and a sunset were nice and the convenient access to the beach, with umbrellas and chairs provided by resort, were nice as well. If I could pay a fee to enjoy the outside amenities without having to actually sleep here, then I would visit again. Don't say you haven't been warned!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2004

I was looking for a place to spend a romantic night with my wife and came upon the Oceana Resort. The location was perfect and the price was unbeatable compared to the other hotels in the area almost a $120.00 per night cheaper !!!! The hospitality was friendly, perfect weather, staff was pleasent, room was clean but not fancy. Private Beach, Pool and Large Play area for the kids. I was so pleased I went home got the kids and spent 2 more nights there. Now if you want fancy then this isn't the place but if you want a friendly atmosphere and the ability to spend your money on other things besides a room that you don't spend much time in anyway then go somewhere else. and they took a credit card....... I will be going there everytime I go to enjoy the beach. also the fishing was great from there pier...

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2004

First of all the pictures on the web site are totally misleading. I was also tricked by the free peir. It's only free in the off season. The owner however gave me a free pass when I told him how the Peir House workers told me that the front desk likes to lie. The rooms were big. However no clock radio in the room surprised me. I was also put off by the dirty carpet. You have to pay extra for the maid to clean. The play area was very old, and dangerous. A so called wheel of fun looked more like a concussion machine. This and a merry go round are located on concrete and in close vicinity to walls. The small child pen looked more like a pig sty. The employees seemed rude most of the time. Especially at the front desk. The peir house was not too bad the food is decent and the price is not too bad. The doors in the room stuck and you had to kick them to open and close. The door to the room was a piece of junk. You often had to fiddle with the key for several minutes to get them locked and unlocked. Our room was on the corner next to the road and we could hear everything. I don't know what keeps the room cold but you cannot control it. Overall the room was a poor value, the hotel is old and needs updating, the play land is nasty, and the help could use an attitude adjustment. Don't stay here there are several other nearby hotels which are just as close to the beach and similar in price.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Atlantic Beach hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2004

WHAT!!!! The Oceanana resort is the only place I have ever requested my money back within 5 minutes of entering the place and room! ( and they would not give me a refund, said they did not care if I reported them to the Better Business Bureau because they were not members...NO surprise there!) Then I realized that is why they would not take a credit card!!! Only travelers checks or cash...HUM???
The room was the dirtiest motel I have ever stepped foot in. There was mold all over the bathroom and dark dirt stains everywhere a person would touch frequently..i.e. doorknobs, light switches, curtain strings...) The carpet was nasty!
I was so repulsed...EWWWWW!
Even my young kids noticed immediately how awful it was and asked if this was what white trash liked....

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2004

My Friend rented me a room there and it was the best stay. The rooms are not picture perfect but they are clean and comfortable.It is a nice quite place to relax. The staff couldn't be more curtious and helpful. The beach right there for your pleasure and it wasn't crowded or a lot of unrulely teenagers.
and I liked the free breakfast buy the beach. coffee ,fruit ,cereal The nats or whatever they were was some bother but no fault of the motel.And the early morning walk on the beach was heaven. I will go there again some day soon. I just wish more hotels,motels were like the Oceanana. It is a little slice of heaven.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
#3 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
#1 of 5 in Morehead City
Clam Digger Inn
Clam Digger Inn
#5 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores

Been to Oceanana Family Motel? Share your experiences!