“GREAT little place!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Avon
Julian, NC
“GREAT little place!”
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Loved it and will go back. Ok, I have to address some of the other reviews I've seen. This is a 60's style place. I don't know what people are expecting from a little place on the OBX.

Our room did NOT smell of anything but cleaning supplies. We had NO bugs save for a fly that came in with us. We left some blackberries uncovered...and they did draw a few ants. My bad, should have sealed them! The beds were a bit dated..but for a weekend or even a week at the rate of roughly $100/night, no biggie. Same with the bathroom doors. The wood was swelled some and was hard to close and open...again...we didn't care...older place in a high humidity area...that's cheap. We had THREE double beds for this rate - talk about inexpensive! Yes the shower knobs were kind of corroded...again...it's the BEACH Sea salt flying through the air...it's gonna happen and they functioned just fine.

We will gladly go back. At the rates they charge, you can't beat 'em. Everywhere else I looked was at least $140/night and required a minimum stay (some are just on-season requirements...some were just holiday requirements)

The beach is a short walk, and on the 4th of July weekend there were very few people there. There is a great place to eat just up the road, the Froggy Dog - loved them! A little pricey...but great place. The food was wonderful, the service very kind and they even have a spot for younger kids to play. Music on the porch, and for those with no kids...the pub would be perfect.

There is a little grocery store right across the street from the Avon Motel. No need to get in the car! Village Grocery even has some organics, earth friendly plasticware/plates and they even carry some of Bob's Red Mill foods along with other goods that us organic types would be pleased to see in such a place. I was pleasantly surprised that they have this :-D

There is a little place where you can rent beach umbrellas, chairs, boogie boards, surf boards, baby gear and just about anything you could need roughly a block down the road. Price for an umbrella for a WEEK? $30. Very reasonable.

All in all, this was a fantastic trip. We would gladly stay in this Motel again. Next time, we'll also be taking our dog. They are pet friendly!

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for in a vacation. If you are used to places that are 3-5 star rated...you'll be disappointed and maybe even really turned off. There are basic accommodations. This is NOT a resort or spa! Good luck finding one of those on the OBX AND in a quiet, secluded area. The Hilton Garden Inn up in Kitty Hawk is only rated 3 stars...and at $250/night. If you want the Hilton or Ritz type places, the OBX may not be for you. If you are looking for a good time at the beach and most your time will be out of the room, or your glad to just hang out in a very basic room - this is great.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank EssentialMama

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
columbia MD
Reviewed 14 July 2009

I booked two night 3day at this motel . the room was filthy, dirty , smell badly.
I would never take another chance at this motel
The carpet was in desperate need of cleaning,...
The smell gave us headaches and was not good for my allergies.
room have coffee machine but thay keep tell us don't have coffee for 3day.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
13 Thank narang

Travellers are raving about these Avon hotels

Virginia
Reviewed 10 October 2008

I called on Wed, 8 Oct, 2008 to reserve a room. Called back thirty minutes later to cancel reservation. I had read the comments here and other places on line. Does NOT sound like a CLEAN or friendly place. I attempted to call the "place" for two days - UNANSWERED RING TONES.. On Friday, 10 Oct, I tried to e-mail the "place". My efforts were returned "undeliverable".

Finally I sent a certified letter via the U.S. Post Office. Sure hope IT gets through.

I wish I had read the reviews of this "take yer money and run" outfit BEFORE I made reservations.

Stay away from this "joint" Seems like all they want to do is "gitcha" then ignore ya.

I'M NOT GOING TO STAY AT THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Total Lack Of Service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
16 Thank unanswered
chicago
Reviewed 9 September 2008

About a week ago, my husband & i decided to take a trip to the Outer Banks. It was an extremely busy weekend and there really wasn't anywhere to stay, but saved by the bell the wonderful avon motel had somewhere just for us! The last room left, and the lovely office staff hooked us up! We had a great little room with color tv & ac, even a jucuzzi! Ice was convienent & the room was really clean. Reading all of these other reviews really puzzled me because our stay there was great.. maybe they just had bad experiences.. not sure, but i would definitley reccomend it!

• Liked — staff, location
  • Disliked — central ac
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
virginia
Reviewed 20 August 2008

First,the 'pros'. Great location.Really enjoyed the Avon area! 2 minute walk to the beach. Now the 'cons'.....probably the worst bed I've ever slept on in my entire life. Boxspring circa 1968. Bedding was scratchy and uncomfortable. Shower could be likened to a coffin with running water. ALL metal surfaces were rusted(soap dishes etc.). Staff was not courteous, housekeeping never restocked items. Had to go to the office to ask for bathroom tissue twice. Could be a quaint motel by the sea, unfortunatley it needs an extensive remodel. It's a shame.

• Liked — location,proximity to the beach
  • Disliked — dirty, no phone, and it needs a major remodel!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
13 Thank pipscotch
Iowa
Reviewed 10 August 2008

The Avon Motel was the most disgusting room we've ever stayed in. The room smelled absolutely horrible as if they were trying to cover up something and was extremely dirty. You need to open the door in order to air out the smell. We stayed at a local bar for most of the evening simply because we wanted to spend as little time in the room as possible. I'm not sure the daily maid service had been in the room prior to our stay. This motel is definitely overpriced (we got a discounted $84 price) for the dirty conditions you get. The front desk told us that she hated the room that she was renting to us. We had to wait to check in because an 11 year old (wearing a tequila t-shirt) was left to work the desk when we arrived however wasn't allowed to check us in or take our credit card. You can feel every spring in the beds. I don't believe the Health Department has inspected the Avon Motel because I don't know if it would still be open.

The only good thing is the proximity to the beach.

Stayed August 2008
14 Thank luv2travel0607
Nags Head, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 April 2008

we just stayed @ this quite little seaside motel.not the hilton and not the price.six stores, 2 resturants,fishing pier& world class beach(5th in the US)all within sight.cost eff.,clean with a fine staff.surley will return this summer.....check it out!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no fast food
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank restless0ne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
#5 of 6 in Buxton
Village Motel
Village Motel
#4 of 5 in Hatteras Island

Been to Avon Motel? Share your experiences!