Avon Motel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
View Hotel
Sea Gull Motel(Hatteras Island)
View Hotel
Village Marina Motel(Hatteras Island)
View Hotel
All reviewsbit datedgetting readyacross the streetsoapsoceanporchrental
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We've stayed here a couple of times over the years. Every year friends of ours stay at the Avon Cottages and we usually do as well, but when we can't take the time off, we'll get a room at the Avon Motel for a night or two. They're owned by the same folks. The location is perfect and the owners are gems. The price is reasonable. The room was clean and we had no issues. Unlike several of the previous reviewers, we don't spend our entire time in the room so we're not particular about amenities like refrigerators and microwaves...although our room had both. The beach is short walk away and there's stores across the street.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GottaGetAwayRightNow
Reviewed 8 August 2010

There were numerous issues with this hotel:

-there was a slashed cut in the wooden door to the room which allowed you to look through it to the outside (and to the inside) if you looked closely
-rust all over the fridge and the microwave
-mildew on the shower curtain at the bottom
-there was no remote in the room and when we requested one from the office, we were given one with batteries that didn't work. We then had to get the batteries replaced and were simply given a booklet to program the remote with the TV, which we couldn't get to work
-yelling and loud outside the room at 1am
-overall, not very clean

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
18  Thank pennstatekelly
Reviewed 18 July 2010

These wonderful people helped our trip to be a success! When there were no rooms on the entire island they took us in and treated us like family, they had a last minute cancellation THANK GOD!
My dog Alice and I stayed for 7 days and we completely enjoyed it and will return for another round one day soon I pray!
The rooms were spotless and fresh, beds very comfortable and clean! Very fresh linens and towels were offered on a daily basis by hard working girls! The desk clerks were so helpful and awesome!
Loved the beach access, very close for my older dog and great 4th of July cookout was provided on the house!
The fish cleaning table and laundromat was very convenient for us..I just loved this place and I Thank God for our trip..I am so grateful they helped us in opening their doors when we needed a room.
(We had driven 15 hours to find out the VRBO Twilight Efficiency Owner in Waves had lied about our accommodations .that we had reserved for 2 weeks..and we needed to make other arrangements.)
Bonnie Rowe with VacationTraditions.Com came to our rescue and called for hours and found us the only vacancy on the island..and it was a cancellation at Avon Motel.
God Bless you Bonnie and ya'll at Avon Motel...without you and a few others, we would have had to turn right around and head straight back to Florida the same day we came! We love you and keep the faith... we are!

• Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank SweetWoman72
Reviewed 14 July 2010

We arrived at the Avon Motel on the morning of June 27th. The young lady at the front desk was extremely friendly and told us our room would be ready in thirty minutes or so. We asked if we could go to the room and check it out and she obliged our request. We entered the room and could not believe it. I turned and said, "The only way they're going to get this room clean in thirty minutes is get a bulldozer and drive forward!" It was nasty. I have been in a ton of football locker rooms over my career and have yet to see a shower with as much mildew. I know the motel is older. I enjoy the "mom and pap" type motels. However, I would be willing to bet homeless shelters are more sanitary. The girl was very accomodating at the front desk when I told her we could not stay there. She didn't try to charge us. I bet she was used to this at this point. Needless to say, our stay was a quick little stay of about thirty seconds. Don't mean to be rude but I would suggest staying away from this place.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
18  Thank pugvader
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Loved it and will go back. Ok, I have to address some of the other reviews I've seen. This is a 60's style place. I don't know what people are expecting from a little place on the OBX.

Our room did NOT smell of anything but cleaning supplies. We had NO bugs save for a fly that came in with us. We left some blackberries uncovered...and they did draw a few ants. My bad, should have sealed them! The beds were a bit dated..but for a weekend or even a week at the rate of roughly $100/night, no biggie. Same with the bathroom doors. The wood was swelled some and was hard to close and open...again...we didn't care...older place in a high humidity area...that's cheap. We had THREE double beds for this rate - talk about inexpensive! Yes the shower knobs were kind of corroded...again...it's the BEACH Sea salt flying through the air...it's gonna happen and they functioned just fine.

We will gladly go back. At the rates they charge, you can't beat 'em. Everywhere else I looked was at least $140/night and required a minimum stay (some are just on-season requirements...some were just holiday requirements)

The beach is a short walk, and on the 4th of July weekend there were very few people there. There is a great place to eat just up the road, the Froggy Dog - loved them! A little pricey...but great place. The food was wonderful, the service very kind and they even have a spot for younger kids to play. Music on the porch, and for those with no kids...the pub would be perfect.

There is a little grocery store right across the street from the Avon Motel. No need to get in the car! Village Grocery even has some organics, earth friendly plasticware/plates and they even carry some of Bob's Red Mill foods along with other goods that us organic types would be pleased to see in such a place. I was pleasantly surprised that they have this :-D

There is a little place where you can rent beach umbrellas, chairs, boogie boards, surf boards, baby gear and just about anything you could need roughly a block down the road. Price for an umbrella for a WEEK? $30. Very reasonable.

All in all, this was a fantastic trip. We would gladly stay in this Motel again. Next time, we'll also be taking our dog. They are pet friendly!

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for in a vacation. If you are used to places that are 3-5 star rated...you'll be disappointed and maybe even really turned off. There are basic accommodations. This is NOT a resort or spa! Good luck finding one of those on the OBX AND in a quiet, secluded area. The Hilton Garden Inn up in Kitty Hawk is only rated 3 stars...and at $250/night. If you want the Hilton or Ritz type places, the OBX may not be for you. If you are looking for a good time at the beach and most your time will be out of the room, or your glad to just hang out in a very basic room - this is great.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family