Review of Surfin' Sadie's

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Average
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
spaz70303
Hermitage, Pennsylvania
“broken appliances and dirty homes are a common occurrence”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014
people found this review helpful

It was my first time to the outer banks and I arrived late Saturday night. My boyfriend had called the office prior that week to see what size the sheets should be on the beds and the staff from surf or sound gave him the wrong sizes for two of the beds so when we arrived we couldnt use the sheets. Also the matress pads had food and sand in them and trash underneath the beds and all the comforters were dirty from the previous renters. The air conditioning wasnt working and the frig was filled with water. when the frig was opened water splashed out all over me. A piece of wood was holding my daughters bed up which was advertised as a bed and not a futton. The house in general wasnt kept in good shape. The picture in the bathroom fell out of the wall, the towel holder was snapped in half and curtain rod upstairs fell down. Not what it looked like in the pictures
We called maintenance to correct the A/C and frig issue. An A/C company came the next day on Monday and didnt get out of the van because we told him it is getting cooler inside. We never told him it was fixed. The office threatened to charge us to fix to AC. Then Tues it stopped working again and we had no A/C again til Wed when someone came out to fix it.
I went into the Avon Surf or Sound office Sunday and spoke to Kris the manager. I addressed all the issues i mentioned above. She said I am not familiar with renting a house in the outer banks and it is the previous renter who is responsible for cleaning it up. Except the bathroom Even said she relys on renters to tell her when it needs cleaned. I am surprised that there was no inspection of the condition of the house before new renters come and if there was disappointed. And she even acussed me of making false calls to maintenance to have to A/C fixed even though it wasnt working properly and wanted me to pay the bill. She spoke as it was a common occurrence to have dirty homes and broken appliances. She said she would send someone but never did to clean the comforters and house. She said she sent housekeeping out on Monday and said we turned them at the door which was a bunch of non sense. I even went back to the office on Wed to ask if the comforters are getting cleaned and the Housekeeping dept claimed that no one was sent out. The whole trip turned into phone calls almost every day over housekeeping and maintenance issues which resulted in workmen in and out of the house almost everyday. Luckily the air conditioning and frig(minus the use of our ice maker was fixed mid week but sadly the house was never cleaned or comforters washed. The only response from the office was I'll make sure housekeeping knows.
After dealing with kris in the office, Needless to say I wont be doing business with surf or sound again. She didnt seem to think the maintenance issues were a big deal in getting corrected and was very rude. She told me the air conditioning was a luxury. At 80 plus degrees outside and paying 2000 a week for the rental when AC was advertised there better be air conditioning.
On a postive note everyone sent over from maintenance was very nice and the attendants at the desk in the office were very nice. The home itself was beautiful and close to the beach. My advice ask alot of questions before booking a room. I would ask if the appliances are working just because something is advertised doesnt mean its functional.
I hope this helps others in making the right decision with their rental. I would definitely go to the outer banks again it is a beautiful area.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: close to the beach
Liked least: broken appliances and poor customer service
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:
Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
22 Aug 2014
We read your review and we are truly sorry that you were disappointed in your stay. We do advertise the bed sizes on the website for reference and are surprised that we provided incorrect information over the phone. That should not have happened. We also have a picture of the pyramid bunk bed on our website that shows the type of bed it is, but perhaps you were unable to look at the website prior to your stay. We received a call on our night phone about your air conditioner not working and sent a technician out the very next morning to find that the air conditioner was working just fine. We carefully maintain our systems to keep them running for guests year-round, the fact that the unit can’t be programmed to run below 68 degrees is a measure to keep the unit running effectively and does not mean that it is broken. We were also disappointed to find that you were unsatisfied with the cleaning of your house. While it is true that the renters are responsible for cleaning up after themselves at the end of their stay, we do send cleaners to the homes prior to the new guest arrival to do additional cleaning. It appears that this time our cleaners did not clean the home to our standards. After learning this from you, we sent another cleaner to your home to make sure things were done to your satisfaction, but she told us that she was turned away by someone at the house. We did make efforts to resolve the problems that you experienced, but it sound like perhaps there were some miscommunications or misunderstandings that were very unfortunate. Please do accept our apology and we hope that you were able to enjoy the beautiful weather we had last week.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing